E90Post
 


Extreme Power House
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > BMW 335d vs Audi S3 1.8T



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-10-2011, 06:14 AM   #45
RockIt
Lieutenant Colonel
 
RockIt's Avatar
 
Drives: Mercedes C350 Coupe
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Curry Capital of Yorkshire!

Posts: 1,719
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Totally different dynamics to the MK1...and yes they do look damned good!
__________________

RockIt!
RockIt is offline   England
0
Reply With Quote
      02-10-2011, 06:29 AM   #46
beemerbird
Major General
 
beemerbird's Avatar
 
Drives: Merc diesel
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Yorkshire

Posts: 7,953
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaheed1 View Post
Hey,

I think you know what I mean....it's just hasn't that 'feel' you get from BMW's. I know I might sound ultra bias when I say that. Even the RS4 which I drove - tremendous engine and traction - but it was all spoilt by that, almost, 'unwanted' feeling you get when driving a fast Audi. Yet, compared that to my recent escapades in an M3 - I would chose the M3 all day long. HOWEVER....If i was to choose one for my wife to drive with the little'un - it would be the RS4. Of course, I wouldn't say 'no' if someone offered to give me an RS4 for nowt

How's the TTRS treating you?
My problem is cynicism as to what I read and prefer to make my own judgements based on actual experience. I think some cars give the appearance of that 'feeling' and others are a surprise tbh. I will never comment on a car unless I've actually driven it at length, hence I don't feel in a position to comment about the S3, know nothing about them. However I have driven three M3's at length and had the car been what I wanted and liked then it would be parked on the drive.

I never actually thought I'd ever buy an Audi tbh as they never appealed and I had this thought of boring etc but then I saw an article about the S5 and thought what the hell, go and try one.....well 5 actually lol. The rest is history and without doubt a capable car in many respects and one which I had every confidence in and thoroughly enjoyed driving and owning. I wouldn't describe the Audi models I've driven as an 'unwanted' feeling, more 'without drama' and not giving you the illusion of drama. I'm talking driving on the road obviously.

When I drove Steve A's RS4 I instantly felt at home with that car much more than a M3, it really felt so planted and I loved the steering, brakes, handling, grip all of it tbh, but we're all different. I just felt that car would cover A-B with some aplomb! So ultimately horses for courses.

This is where my reservations about the RS5 come in.......rev, rev, rev - if so not for me really but again, until I drive one at length, which I will in time, then I can't comment. I've no reservations about the quality of the interior and build quality and the cabin will be a very nice place to be. Fuel prices put me off at the mo also.

As for the TTRS......it's getting quicker lol and bags of fun with the noise to match.

Not hundred percent sure about the Toyo tyres, maybe I'm just hooked on Pirellis. Brakes are superb btw, and the steering gets better the faster you go, it is very direct at speed and plenty of feedback on the road........never been on a track with it.

The ride is figdety.........but does it leave me numb........nah!

But unlike Matt I'm not a font of all knowledge of all cars built by a manufacturer so without looking foolish, I'll comment on what I have actually experienced.
beemerbird is offline   England
0
Reply With Quote
      02-10-2011, 06:38 AM   #47
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
 
dxb335d's Avatar
 
Drives: E46 M3 CS
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: ''Fandango Towers''

Posts: 29,262
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
Driven alot of Audi's. Liked the TTS but not quick enough! S4 nice but slightly numb! Same with A5's! Loved R8 V8 and RS6 although didn't like the RS6 at slow speed!
__________________
M3 gone .... But I now have a M3 CS
dxb335d is offline   England
0
Reply With Quote
      02-10-2011, 07:05 AM   #48
335diesel
Brigadier General
 
335diesel's Avatar
 
Drives: 335d Touring
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Cornwall

Posts: 4,009
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerbird View Post
My problem is cynicism as to what I read and prefer to make my own judgements based on actual experience. I think some cars give the appearance of that 'feeling' and others are a surprise tbh. I will never comment on a car unless I've actually driven it at length, hence I don't feel in a position to comment about the S3, know nothing about them. However I have driven three M3's at length and had the car been what I wanted and liked then it would be parked on the drive.

I never actually thought I'd ever buy an Audi tbh as they never appealed and I had this thought of boring etc but then I saw an article about the S5 and thought what the hell, go and try one.....well 5 actually lol. The rest is history and without doubt a capable car in many respects and one which I had every confidence in and thoroughly enjoyed driving and owning. I wouldn't describe the Audi models I've driven as an 'unwanted' feeling, more 'without drama' and not giving you the illusion of drama. I'm talking driving on the road obviously.

When I drove Steve A's RS4 I instantly felt at home with that car much more than a M3, it really felt so planted and I loved the steering, brakes, handling, grip all of it tbh, but we're all different. I just felt that car would cover A-B with some aplomb! So ultimately horses for courses.

This is where my reservations about the RS5 come in.......rev, rev, rev - if so not for me really but again, until I drive one at length, which I will in time, then I can't comment. I've no reservations about the quality of the interior and build quality and the cabin will be a very nice place to be. Fuel prices put me off at the mo also.

As for the TTRS......it's getting quicker lol and bags of fun with the noise to match.

Not hundred percent sure about the Toyo tyres, maybe I'm just hooked on Pirellis. Brakes are superb btw, and the steering gets better the faster you go, it is very direct at speed and plenty of feedback on the road........never been on a track with it.

The ride is figdety.........but does it leave me numb........nah!

But unlike Matt I'm not a font of all knowledge of all cars built by a manufacturer so without looking foolish, I'll comment on what I have actually experienced.
A bit uncalled for maybe?
__________________


E91 335d SE Touring

Also Land Rover Puma Defender 110 XS station wagon
335diesel is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      02-10-2011, 07:42 AM   #49
FPO
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: LCI E92 335d M-Sport
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Tewkesbury

Posts: 242
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
Driven alot of Audi's. Liked the TTS but not quick enough! S4 nice but slightly numb! Same with A5's! Loved R8 V8 and RS6 although didn't like the RS6 at slow speed!
Felt the same Carlos, I found the V10 RS6 to have a bit heavy steering at low speeds. It felt like you needed muscles like Rocky just to cope with any town driving.

However the power made up for it!

I still feel I got more feedback from the steering on my A3 than I do with my e92. I presume the RWD / RFT may be the cause of this, but the car feels like its bouncing along the road when you really give it the beans and any slight movements of the steering wheel make jack all difference to the direction, and this is after driving 10,000 miles in 4 months in it.
FPO is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-10-2011, 11:13 AM   #50
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
 
dxb335d's Avatar
 
Drives: E46 M3 CS
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: ''Fandango Towers''

Posts: 29,262
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
Hi mate, I found the RS6 crazily light steering at low speeds! And then hefty at high speed. Felt unnatural and not that nice!
__________________
M3 gone .... But I now have a M3 CS
dxb335d is offline   England
0
Reply With Quote
      02-10-2011, 11:23 AM   #51
FPO
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: LCI E92 335d M-Sport
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Tewkesbury

Posts: 242
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
Hi mate, I found the RS6 crazily light steering at low speeds! And then hefty at high speed. Felt unnatural and not that nice!
Maybe im slightly mistaken then. I do remember mentioning to my father who was with me whilst test driving how heavy the steering was. I wouldnt have thought it would have bothered me at speed though as I like a car that feels planted.

Are you talking about the TT V8 or TT V10 RS6?
FPO is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-10-2011, 11:29 AM   #52
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
 
dxb335d's Avatar
 
Drives: E46 M3 CS
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: ''Fandango Towers''

Posts: 29,262
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
R8 was fine as was the RS6 at speed, but it didn't feel connected. At at low speed it was rediculously light.
__________________
M3 gone .... But I now have a M3 CS
dxb335d is offline   England
0
Reply With Quote
      02-10-2011, 11:55 AM   #53
beemerbird
Major General
 
beemerbird's Avatar
 
Drives: Merc diesel
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Yorkshire

Posts: 7,953
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335diesel View Post
A bit uncalled for maybe?
I was taking the mickey and being a tad sarcastic ............I'm female.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
Hi mate, I found the RS6 crazily light steering at low speeds! And then hefty at high speed. Felt unnatural and not that nice!
I found the opposite to you Carl on a 2009 model RS6 I drove, my first thoughts were it was heavy steering like a Porsche unlike the S5 that has servotronic speed-related power steering which I always said was too light upto 35mph but thereafter became as it should be.
beemerbird is offline   England
0
Reply With Quote
      02-10-2011, 01:28 PM   #54
335diesel
Brigadier General
 
335diesel's Avatar
 
Drives: 335d Touring
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Cornwall

Posts: 4,009
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Helen - I saw no smileys. Important in declaration of sarcasm ;-)
__________________


E91 335d SE Touring

Also Land Rover Puma Defender 110 XS station wagon
335diesel is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      02-10-2011, 01:47 PM   #55
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
 
dxb335d's Avatar
 
Drives: E46 M3 CS
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: ''Fandango Towers''

Posts: 29,262
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
I did a write up on it I think. Proper fast!!
__________________
M3 gone .... But I now have a M3 CS
dxb335d is offline   England
0
Reply With Quote
      02-10-2011, 02:16 PM   #56
beemerbird
Major General
 
beemerbird's Avatar
 
Drives: Merc diesel
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Yorkshire

Posts: 7,953
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335diesel View Post
Helen - I saw no smileys. Important in declaration of sarcasm ;-)
Blimey Sunday name also

What's the intended smiley at the end of your post?
beemerbird is offline   England
0
Reply With Quote
      02-10-2011, 02:40 PM   #57
335diesel
Brigadier General
 
335diesel's Avatar
 
Drives: 335d Touring
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Cornwall

Posts: 4,009
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
I was being lazy.
__________________


E91 335d SE Touring

Also Land Rover Puma Defender 110 XS station wagon
335diesel is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      02-10-2011, 02:54 PM   #58
beemerbird
Major General
 
beemerbird's Avatar
 
Drives: Merc diesel
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Yorkshire

Posts: 7,953
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335diesel View Post
I was being lazy.
Fair enough lol.
beemerbird is offline   England
0
Reply With Quote
      02-10-2011, 07:36 PM   #59
Parbox
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Surrey, UK

Posts: 38
iTrader: (0)

Ive gone from the S3 8L to e92 335i to e92 M3 to S3 8P to S5 Sportback which I have now.

The S3 8L was the one I that I loved the most (at the time of ownership) - but now looking at the results of the RS3 v M1 fight with great interest.

I can see another swap on the cards within the next year.
Parbox is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-10-2011, 08:01 PM   #60
misterS3
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: X70 on the way
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Glasgow

Posts: 1,564
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335diesel View Post
A bit uncalled for maybe?
Bang on the money
misterS3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-11-2011, 03:24 AM   #61
jinjur
yes....spelt with J's
 
jinjur's Avatar
 
Drives: E91 320D
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NoRtH eYeLaNd

Posts: 826
iTrader: (0)

This is beautiful, I love the honesty of the OP about the run, sounds like a beaut.



I also love the 335d erectile society saying "oh, you must have been on meth, it didnt beat you, you are lying, hang yourself"



Lets face it guys.

Now sit down......all of you.

These days will happen, not every day mind you, but they WILL happen. When........now, *deep breaths*......you will get a bit of competition.....albeit because of you having TOO much power and poofy tyres.

I know I know........its hard, almost surreal to imagine......but there are other things on earth that move forwards and turn corners.


Now obviously, they are not going to deccimate you on the Nurburgring, but you will......get passed, occasionally.


I mean, I saw a 335d parked the other day, and a cyclist.......YES a fackin cyclist passed it. Its ok though because the 335d caught him at 100 mph.

IMO, and just IMO of course the running order for speed is as follows:

1. Light
2. Sound
3. A comet (any)
4. Clio (only mine)
5. Veyron
6. 335d (remapped)
7. 335d (not remapped)
8. 335d (in the wet)
9. 335d (in the wet on summer tyres)
10. A cheetah
11. Roadrunner *meep meep*
12. Everything else that has done or will ever move, including particulates from the Big Bang.



ROFL.

J
jinjur is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      02-11-2011, 04:33 AM   #62
BIGTIME
Lieutenant
 
Drives: E92 M3 DCT - Mineral White
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North East

Posts: 494
iTrader: (0)

I love threads like this and the Clio one. When I had an Astra VXR I used to go on that forum. Loads of threads on there about VXR's getting spanked by 330i's etc followed by BMW's are rwd and much better with traction and handling. I come on here and it seems fwd is the best. You can't win
BIGTIME is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-11-2011, 04:46 AM   #63
DrunkenMonkey
Private First Class
 
DrunkenMonkey's Avatar
 
Drives: e90 335ise
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Underground

Posts: 151
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinjur View Post
.....

1. Light
2. Sound
3. A comet (any)
4. Clio (only mine)
5. An otter
6. Veyron
7. 335d (remapped)
8. 335d (not remapped)
9. 335d (in the wet)
10. 335d (in the wet on summer tyres)
11. A cheetah
12. Roadrunner *meep meep*
13. Everything else that has done or will ever move, including particulates from the Big Bang.



ROFL.

J
edited for accuracy
DrunkenMonkey is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      02-11-2011, 05:46 AM   #64
jinjur
yes....spelt with J's
 
jinjur's Avatar
 
Drives: E91 320D
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NoRtH eYeLaNd

Posts: 826
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkenMonkey View Post
edited for accuracy
Thanks man, I have no idea what i was thinking forgetting the Ot.

J
jinjur is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      02-11-2011, 06:19 AM   #65
335diesel
Brigadier General
 
335diesel's Avatar
 
Drives: 335d Touring
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Cornwall

Posts: 4,009
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
An old lady in a wheelchair overtook me the other day when I was in the 335d.

A snowflake had fallen earlier that day.
__________________


E91 335d SE Touring

Also Land Rover Puma Defender 110 XS station wagon
335diesel is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      02-11-2011, 06:24 AM   #66
jinjur
yes....spelt with J's
 
jinjur's Avatar
 
Drives: E91 320D
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NoRtH eYeLaNd

Posts: 826
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335diesel View Post
An old lady in a wheelchair overtook me the other day when I was in the 335d.

A snowflake had fallen earlier that day.
Was she running winter tyres?
jinjur is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:14 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST