E90Post

jb4store

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > e92s or BMWs in general - a target?

02-25-2007, 09:57 AM   #1
ZiM
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom

Drives: E90 330d

Angry e92s or BMWs in general - a target?

hi peeps

woke up this morning to find my integra has been broken into, they didn't get it as the trusty honda immobiliser would have stepped in but they had a bloody good go (broken ignition barrel and door mechanism)...

anyway, just wondering do BMWs generally get targetted much? i hate the idea that my new e92 when i get it in march will be a target, and worse than just having the car trashed i hate the idea of someone going directly for the keys (i.e. in the house)...

it wouldn't change my mind about what cars i buy cuz if you let fear of stuff happening govern your decisions you'd never get anything cool... just wondering what your experiences are?

not a good day
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2007, 11:38 AM   #2
Z4 Beemer
Colonel
Scotland

Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive 23i

Garage List
2006 E92  [0.00]
2004 Z4 2.2i  [0.00]
Send a message via MSN to Z4 Beemer
Just before Christmas I got a letter from my dealer saying that BMW's were being targetted in certain parts of Glasgow... it mentioned postcodes and areas. It was basically that owners homes were being broken into and keys stolen. It also mentioned the usual advice about not leaving keys visible from the front door of your house etc. I think any expensive new style car could be viewed as desirable to be honest!

I'm sure there was an article in Autoexpress recently about some guy with a Ford Focus ST who was being targetted (people watching it and following him about... he eventually ended up selling it!

Edit: should have said... sorry to hear about your car, hope you get it sorted out soon.

Last edited by Z4 Beemer; 02-25-2007 at 11:39 AM. Reason: forgot to say something...
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2007, 12:18 PM   #3
ZiM
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom

after my teg was targetted, i'm going to get a tracker fitted...

how much are they approximately to retro fit?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2007, 12:30 PM   #4
Z4 Beemer
Colonel
Scotland

Garage List
2006 E92  [0.00]
2004 Z4 2.2i  [0.00]
I'm not sure I would go for a tracker... you never know how thieves are going to treat your car if its stolen, so I would take the view let them have it and I'll order a new one! If its being totally abused and treated like crap I would rather not have it back to be honest!
      02-25-2007, 01:23 PM   #5
ZiM
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom

good point mate, good point...

what is the standard cat 1 alarm like on the new e92s? is it proximity? motion sensing? whats the facilities?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2007, 01:37 PM   #6
Raggie
Private First Class

Drives: E93 325I M Sport

My Insurer would not touch the 335i without a tracker.. and to be honest when I comapred the quotes I was getting from elephant & confused.. I could recoupe the cost of the tracker on the first years cover.. !!!???

Its costing me £345 installation and £119 per year, this is at the dealers.. which gets me a 3 year warantee on the unit.

If you go direct to Tracker its £319 installation. + Anual Payment.

AFIK...
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2007, 02:03 PM   #7
Z4 Beemer
Colonel
Scotland

Garage List
2006 E92  [0.00]
2004 Z4 2.2i  [0.00]
Our office junior (18 y/o) has got a policy with MoreThan that by default doesn't allow him to drive the car between 11pm and 6am (i think its 6am). The car is fitted with some kind of tracker which they use to monitor him. If they see it being driven in this time period its a cost of £25 for that day! The advantage is that the overall yearly cost is quite a bit lower. I don't think the device is used to track the car if its stolen however, although they could probably do this.
      02-25-2007, 02:29 PM   #8
vivekk
THE Viv
England

Drives: 330i SE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiM View Post
after my teg was targetted, i'm going to get a tracker fitted...

how much are they approximately to retro fit?
Tracker units are all fitted at dealerships- they are not factory fitted.

Here are the current prices:

Private Customer QuoteVehicle Type: Car TRACKER Monitor 219.00 Duration of Ownership 325.00 Installation 100.00 SUB TOTAL (inc. VAT) 644.00
Private Customer QuoteVehicle Type: Car TRACKER Monitor 219.00 Annual Subscription 119.00 Installation 100.00 SUB TOTAL (inc. VAT) 438.00

Private Customer QuoteVehicle Type: Car TRACKER Horizon 299.00 Duration of Ownership 325.00 Installation 150.00 SUB TOTAL (inc. VAT) 774.00
Private Customer QuoteVehicle Type: Car TRACKER Horizon 299.00 Annual Subscription 119.00 Installation 150.00 SUB TOTAL (inc. VAT) 568.00

Private Customer QuoteVehicle Type: Car TRACKER Response 499.00 Duration of Ownership 425.00 Installation 175.00 SUB TOTAL (inc. VAT) 1,099.00
Private Customer QuoteVehicle Type: Car TRACKER Response 499.00 Annual Subscription 149.00 Installation 175.00 SUB TOTAL (inc. VAT) 823.00

Private Customer QuoteVehicle Type: Car TRACKER Echo 599.00 Duration of Ownership 450.00 Installation 175.00 SUB TOTAL (inc. VAT) 1,224.00
Private Customer QuoteVehicle Type: Car TRACKER Echo 599.00 Annual Subscription 159.00 Installation 175.00 SUB TOTAL (inc. VAT) 933.00

There is more info at www.tracker.co.uk- have a look to find out about each type of system- there's a lot of info available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4 Beemer View Post
I'm not sure I would go for a tracker... you never know how thieves are going to treat your car if its stolen, so I would take the view let them have it and I'll order a new one! If its being totally abused and treated like crap I would rather not have it back to be honest!
Z4- most 'professional' thieves are more likely to target a BMW, Mercedes etc for transport abroad to foreign 'customers'- that is the whole point of Tracker. The system currently works in mainland Great Britain, Northern Ireland, France and Spain.

This kind of thief is more likely to minimise damage to the car, because of its intended destination- breaking windows & locks doesn't normally happen with this kind of theft- it's far simpler trying to 'acquire' the owner's keyfob!

Gangs of 'professional' thieves are known to target particular cars on a 'steal to order' basis. Take this scenario:
A gang knows a new 335d is parked at a certain week-day location everyday- probably for work. They know it's a young bloke who always drives the car to & from the location. They have seen him go to the bar over the road after work, for the last 2 Fridays, with other people.
They figure they can use a young blonde female to act as a decoy. She keeps him company at the bar for a while, gets him to buy a few drinks, then picks his pockets- in whatever way she thinks is 'most appropriate' to get hold of his keyfob!
The keyfob gets passed to her acquaintance, who knows just which car it belongs to.
The car is unlocked & driven off for shipping abroad from the nearest port.
The girl is phoned up to tell her the job is done.
She tells the 'victim' she just needs to do something, but will be back in a while (just to delay him from finding out his car has been stolen). Then she leaves & the gang have collected another piece of 'shopping'!

The bloke hasn't 'scored' & will later find he has also lost his car!

Your 'smash the window & take it for a joyride' thief is much less likely to target your new 3-series, compared to the 'professional' thief!

Indeed, there will be the type of individuals who will try to purposely damage your car, without trying to steal it- they know they just won't be able to do it, but they will love to leave a nice 12" gouge across your doors!

I took out an e90 for a day's drive on my own, from a local dealership.
I asked the bloke if they had had previous problems with 'joyriders'.
He told me that there was one time when one of their cars was out for a few hours & it was getting late, so they had the Tracker unit on the car activated.
Shortly after that, they had a call from the Port of Hull- the driver had tried to load the car onto a ferry heading for Belgium, but the Port's Tracker detection system had spotted it, before the thief could get away!

So, in my opinion, you are FAR better off having Tracker than not having it- it's your decision, so choose wisely!

I know what I would do with such an expensive 'toy'!

Viv

Last edited by vivekk; 02-25-2007 at 02:55 PM.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2007, 02:48 PM   #9
booforty
Major General
United Kingdom

Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Get a tracker - I've got one and its a small price to pay considering its a 35k car
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2007, 02:52 PM   #10
TheAcAvenger
Brigadier General
United_States

Drives: 2007 E92 335i

I wouldnt expect a BMW to be as much of a target as a Teg. Steal an E92 and all you have is a joyride. The market out there for E92 parts is pretty small. The market for stolen Teg parts?... massive
2007 E92 335i - TC Kline DA Coilovers, HPA M3 Suspension Retrofit, Quaife LSD, Stoptech 6/4 BBK, Volk TE-37s, AR Downpipes, RDSport Quads, Forge DVs, Stett OC, RB Turbos, Procede V5, PWM Meth, Helix IC, EAS DCI, Rixster VEI, M-Tech Sides, OEM Aero Lip, Rieger Spoiler, Vorsteiner V-35 Hood, Performance Steering Wheel, Anthracite Headliner, OSS Headlights
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2007, 02:57 PM   #11
vivekk
THE Viv
England

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAcAvenger View Post
I wouldnt expect a BMW to be as much of a target as a Teg. Steal an E92 and all you have is a joyride. The market out there for E92 parts is pretty small. The market for stolen Teg parts?... massive
Unfortunately, I'm afraid you are pretty wrong there- certainly with regards to the UK & the European mainland!
It doesn't yet have anything to do with e92 parts- it's 'steal to order'!

See my last post!

Viv

Appreciate 0
      02-25-2007, 03:01 PM   #12
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom

Drives: 335i m-sport LCI

My company insures my car and the insurer will not cover any vehicle over 30K which does not have a tracker.

I had tracker monitor installed by my dealer prior to delivery and paid for the lifetime subscription.

Any powerful car is a target. However, for the most part I personally think you are better of with a BMW than something less 'stealth' - e.g. an evo, imprezza or even an 'm'.
      02-25-2007, 07:00 PM   #13
matlough
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom

Drives: 335i Saloon

Was considering Tracker on my new 335 E90, but doing an online quote via RAC insurance, it would only be about £30 a year less with one!
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2007, 01:50 AM   #14
Z4 Beemer
Colonel
Scotland

Garage List
2006 E92  [0.00]
2004 Z4 2.2i  [0.00]
Suppose it was stolen and didn't get recovered (as Viv said, perhaps taken abroad to be sold) - surely shortfall insurance would cover this and basically give you an identical replacement car?
      02-26-2007, 05:09 AM   #15
ZiM
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom

i hear what everyone is saying, but i'm gonna go with Z4 Beemer on this one...

if it was nicked, knowing that the utmost care was certainly not taken with the car for even a short time it just wouldn't be the same again... i'd prefer to get a new one...
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2007, 06:03 AM   #16
Z4 Beemer
Colonel
Scotland

Garage List
2006 E92  [0.00]
2004 Z4 2.2i  [0.00]
Quote:

if it was nicked, knowing that the utmost care was certainly not taken with the car for even a short time it just wouldn't be the same again... i'd prefer to get a new one...
Ohhh god - what have I said Thats another black mark against me.

I think it was last week there was an article in Autoexpress about some guy that owned a Ford Focus ST. He claimed that he was seeing people pull up outside his house and looking at the car, and that on one occasion he was sure he was being followed home.... so he immediately drove to the nearest police station. After a few incidents he decided it wasn't worth it and sold it!
      02-26-2007, 07:03 AM   #17
vivekk
THE Viv
England

Garage List
Quote:

Just a couple of stories for you:

Viv

Evening Star:
Top of the range cars stolen from Port
23 February 2007 | 07:08

TOP-of-the-range stolen cars worth more than half a million pounds have been found in containers at the Port of Felixstowe in the past year, it was revealed today.

The luxury cars, thought to be stolen to order, were being smuggled out of the country when they were found by police, customs officers and port police.

Containers are x-rayed, while officers also work on intelligence gathering and background checks to keep an eye on suspicious shipments. Tracker devices on cars have also helped the investigations.

The work of the teams at the port, including special branch officers, are set to be featured on Tonight with Trevor McDonald on ITV on March 19.

Crews recently filmed at the port, following an operation involving several police forces and different departments to track a stolen car as the thieves tried to illegally export it.

A Suffolk police spokesman said 20 stolen vehicles worth more than £500,000 had been recovered in the last 12 months thanks to teamwork from different agencies.

He said: “High-tech equipment is used to x-ray containers and other methods, such as intelligence gathering and background checks are used by police, customs and port officials to locate the vehicles before they are illegally exported abroad.”

Experts believe Britain is at the centre of a £2 billion worldwide scam involving high-performance cars and the Suffolk police operations unit at Felixstowe is on constant alert for stolen vehicles being shipped in containers.

As Britain's largest container port Felixstowe is believed to be the main export point for stolen cars but finding them among the three million boxes handled at the port each year is like looking for a needle in a haystack.

Many are smuggled to Russia or the Middle East where there is a thriving trade in selling cars stolen in England. Every year 400,000 cars are stolen and it is thought a quarter of them end up abroad.

Today a company called bluecycle which salvages vehicles found at the port by selling them over the internet is presenting special branch police at the port with a new Ford Galaxy to help them in their work.

Asian Image: 9:56am Thursday 15th February 2007
Burglar grabbed keys from 3 year-old

A violent burglar put a young mother and her two children through a terrifying ordeal so he could steal the family's £50,000 sports car.
First he smashed a patio window at the back of the family's home to get in, showering a three-month-old girl with glass.
Then he snatched the car keys from her sister, aged three, as she pleaded: "That's my dad's. You can't take it."
He drove off with two accomplices in the BMW M3 coupe which was parked on the drive of the house in Astley Bridge, leaving mum Sofia Kathrada in shock.
Police chased the distinctive yellow BMW through the streets of Bolton, as it mounted a kerb and then narrowly missed a pedestrian, before being driven the wrong way down St Peter's Way.
But the car had a tracker device and was later found abandoned close to Canon Slade School in Bradshaw.
The drama started when a man knocked on the door of Faizal Mohmed and Sofia Kathrada's home in Hallbridge Gardens, Astley Bridge, at 2pm on Monday January 22.
Mr Mohmed, aged 24, was working in Blackburn at the time of the burglary.
His wife, also aged 24, was in the shower on the second floor of the three-storey townhouse, and ignored the knocking.
But the man went to the back of the house and smashed a double glazed patio window near to where three-month-old Zara was playing in a baby walker. She was covered in shards of glass, but the thug pushed past her and knocked her over, causing her to cut her knees.
Her sister Jemimah was playing with her father's car keys in the same room and refused to hand them over. The thief snatched them off her before pushing her over and fleeing.
Mrs Kathrada came downstairs after hearing the commotion and saw the man running out of the house. She followed him and tried to block the path of the car as it sped away.
A description of the vehicle was circulated to police patrols who followed it towards Bury Road. When it sped into the path of oncoming traffic in St Peter's Way, police abandoned the chase.
The car was later abandoned in Danesbury Road, Bradshaw, where it was traced by the tracking device.
Mr Mohmed, a company secretary for a firm which owns mobile phone shops in the Blackburn area, said he believed the car had been stolen to order, but dumped when the thieves realised that it was being traced.
"Luckily, I had a tracker fitted to the car which means I got it back but that doesn't change what happened to my family," he said.
"My three-year-old daughter has been left absolutely terrified by what happened. She knows how much the car means to me and didn't want to let this man have the keys.
"She keeps thinking there's somebody in the house. For someone to do this to my two daughters and my wife makes me feel sick and I hope they are caught."
The robber and his accomplices are all described as white, with fair coloured hair.
Det Sgt Andy Greenhalgh of Bolton CID's burglary unit said: "This was a terrifying ordeal for the family and the offender then drove recklessly through Bolton."
Anybody with information is asked to contact police on 0161 856 5792 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

Appreciate 0
      02-26-2007, 08:10 AM   #18
- Paul -
Major General
England

Drives: see above.

Garage List
2005 320D SE  [5.00]
2005 645  [4.50]
Exactly - trackers don't stop your car getting nicked!
      02-26-2007, 08:10 AM   #19
Z4 Beemer
Colonel
Scotland

Garage List
2006 E92  [0.00]
2004 Z4 2.2i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekk View Post
Police chased the distinctive yellow BMW through the streets of Bolton, as it mounted a kerb and then narrowly missed a pedestrian, before being driven the wrong way down St Peter's Way.
But the car had a tracker device and was later found abandoned close to Canon Slade School in Bradshaw.
Viv, I certainly see the benefits of a tracker, but if some b45t&rd drove my car like what is described above (mounting the kerb and obviouslydriving at high speed)... I would say i would rather have a new one. I just wouldn't be satisfied I would get the car back in the condition it was in previously.

Gordon.
      02-26-2007, 10:43 AM   #20
ZiM
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom

i still dont see the argument... still one the no-tracker side of the fence...

i know cars get nicked all the time, and yes trackers can help them to be reclaimed, but like Z4 said would you want the car back? really?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2007, 12:34 PM   #21
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom

Drives: 335i m-sport LCI

Quote:
i still dont see the argument... still one the no-tracker side of the fence...

i know cars get nicked all the time, and yes trackers can help them to be reclaimed, but like Z4 said would you want the car back? really?
Well I don't have the shortfall insurance either
      02-26-2007, 01:19 PM   #22
Z4 Beemer
Colonel
Scotland

Garage List
2006 E92  [0.00]
2004 Z4 2.2i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed View Post