E90Post

Lux Angel Eyes

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Vishnu Exhaust-- suggestions?

02-25-2007, 06:34 PM   #23
chubbs979
Private First Class

Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Coupe

Make it quad exhaust with the set up like they have on the 2008 Lexus IS-F. One on top of the other type of look.
chubbs979 is offline   United_States
      02-25-2007, 06:35 PM   #24
bnj
Banned

Drives: e92 335i

Shiv, all those hilarious wishes will be fulfilled by a large amount of hilarious companies. I'm sure there will be "exhaust manufacturers" with some crappy chinese mufflers branded "LOUD" (or no mufflers at all) and somebody will probably come up with triple quads to replace the rear bumper with a huge amount of tips. Moreover, with a help of a army of musicians, they will develop a perfect sound that will nicely follow the rpm and will be channeled out from the hidden loudspeakers in the quads...

From Vishnu I would hope to see the least backpressure possible, that would still sniff clean and not being utterly loud/noisy and to be very light. 'i.e. serious tuner stuff to go well with Procede and not tarnishing the well developed reputation of serious tuner by any "all show/boyricer/loud/shine..." bs.

Could it be possible to have turboback exhaust so that sport cats would be pretty back. Those can be heated before emission test, so there is no need to have them too early to hinder the flow. You probably have the muffler data needed to find the best flow/noise ratio. Mufflers as back as possible. No need to go overboard in diameter, because your current diameter should be good enough for well over 500 bhp? Walls and tips could be thin, not rolled, good enough stainless steel to allow for light construction. And no unnecessary bends... well you know this stuff. I would position Vishnu products at the serious end if I were you.

PS
I would like to hear the perfect sound of the engine by having the least restrictive exhaust possible. NOT a manufactured or somehow tuned sound by selecting exhaust parts that would somehow moderate/change the real sound of the engine.

Last edited by bnj; 09-05-2007 at 05:44 AM.
      02-25-2007, 06:54 PM   #25
chubbs979
Private First Class

Or you could come up with something that looks like this:
Attached Images

02-25-2007, 07:02 PM   #26
teknochild
Your resident 4um troll

Drives: 335 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbs979 View Post
Or you could come up with something that looks like this:
thats a joke, right?
      02-25-2007, 07:03 PM   #27
speedgod
First Lieutenant

Drives: 335

I currently have a set of RacingBeat exhaust on my Mazda. I really like the sound of it.

The Autwerks one up above a few posts sounds great imo.

I really look for something that is not going to get annoying on long drives at freeway speeds or just cruising around town.

SG

-Taylor Knox
speedgod is offline   United_States
      02-25-2007, 07:03 PM   #28
chubbs979
Private First Class

did i say i was joking?
      02-25-2007, 07:15 PM   #29
Clem
Major

Drives: 2010 E90 M3 AW/FR ESS VT2

Send a message via AIM to Clem
One aesthetic suggestion: Angle those tips a bit. The stock ones just don't quite get it for me.
      02-25-2007, 07:27 PM   #30
addicted 2 turbo
3rd Brigade Combat Team

Drives: BMW 335 & 530

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnj View Post
Shiv, all those hilarious wishes will be fulfilled by a large amount of hilarious companies. I'm sure there will be "exhaust manufacturers" with some crappy chinese mufflers branded "LOUD" (or no mufflers at all) and somebody will probably come up with triple quads to replace the rear bumper with a huge amount of tips. Moreover, with a help of a army of musicians, they will develop a perfect sound that will nicely follow the rpm and will be channeled out from the hidden loudspeakers in the quads...

From Vishnu I would hope to see the least backpressure possible, that would still sniff clean and not being utterly loud/noisy and to be very light. 'i.e. serious tuner stuff to go well with Procede and not tarnishing the well developed reputation of serious tuner by any "all show/boyricer/loud/shine..." bs.

Could it be possible to have turboback exhaust so that sport cats would be pretty back. Those can be heated before emission test, so there is no need to have them too early to hinder the flow. You probably have the muffler data needed to find the best flow/noise ratio. Mufflers as back as possible. No need to go overboard in diameter, because your current diameter should be good enough for well over 500 bhp? Walls and tips could be thin, not rolled, good enough stainless steel to allow for light construction. And no unnecessary bends... well you know this stuff. I would position Vishnu products at the serious end if I were you.
Ilkka

PS
I would like to hear the perfect sound of the engine by having the least restrictive exhaust possible. NOT a manufactured or somehow tuned sound by selecting exhaust parts that would somehow moderate/change the real sound of the engine.

i agree with you
addicted 2 turbo is offline   Puerto Rico
      02-25-2007, 07:44 PM   #31
Tmac911
Ty Come AGAIN!

Drives: 08 AW 335i 6mt

Make it loud and low
      02-25-2007, 08:05 PM   #32
mayanh8
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbs979 View Post
did i say i was joking?
I sincerely hope you were.
      02-25-2007, 08:05 PM   #33
max boost
Lieutenant

Drives: 07 335i

i personally like the sound of the stocker. it allows me to hear the motor sing. anything louder out of the tail pipe the motor wont be as prevolent.
things i dislike, droan, not that is to much of an issue w/TT cars.
loud exhaust gets real old fast, unless your in your ealry 20s.

this has been stated before but i run e-cutouts on my completely stock x pipe & mufflers on my 900 -1,000 hp C5. i love it, stealth when i wont, then loud for race mode!
      02-25-2007, 08:10 PM   #34
Evo8MRto335I
Captain

Drives: 2009 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG

Shiv ,

I suggest weight reduction to be paramount. Turbo cars aren't as loud as na cars. If you don't need twin mufflers then I would use only one muffler with a twin outlet and welded to two independent pieces of pipes with a 4.5" tip each.

I think you should aim by now to the two different market demands;
1) The hardcore that looks for weight reduction and don't care about how loud
2) The system that weights more but is quieter.

Vishnu emblem is a must. Also, would you consider a single 3"HFC on the midpipe once you produce a cat less downpipe?

Thanks!

Carlos
      02-25-2007, 08:23 PM   #35
Driver72
Brigadier General

Drives: 335i - to new owners now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillygoat View Post
i love the stock exhaust sound.

I'm on this boat too.
I LOVE the stock exhaust sound MOST when in a multi-level type parking garage.
It sounds great.

Make the exhaust sound like THAT when NOT in a parking garage.
I'm not into loud exhausts and don't want drone either.

Needs to just be 10-15% "meaner" sounding than the stock exhaust.
Again...just like the stock exhaust in a parking garage...SWEET.

Also, dropping weight is nice too.
Keep it stock looking with tips that are only a touch larger to fill the gaps (1/4 inch larger would be ideal, 1/2 inch at most).

Lastly, it doesn't need to make the most power IF it has the best sound and nice (not "ricey") look that's resembles stock.

1. Sound quality
2. Weight drop
3. Looks
4. Only modest power gain needed.
      02-25-2007, 08:28 PM   #36
roller84
Captain

Drives: E90 335i & E60 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver72 View Post
I'm on this boat too.
I LOVE the stock exhaust sound MOST when in a multi-level type parking garage.
It sounds great.

Make the exhaust sound like THAT when NOT in a parking garage.
I'm not into loud exhausts and don't want drone either.

Needs to just be 10-15% "meaner" sounding than the stock exhaust.
Again...just like the stock exhaust in a parking garage...SWEET.

Also, dropping weight is nice too.
Keep it stock looking with tips that are only a touch larger to fill the gaps (1/4 inch larger would be ideal, 1/2 inch at most).

Lastly, it doesn't need to make the most power IF it has the best sound and nice (not "ricey") look that's resembles stock.

1. Sound quality
2. Weight drop
3. Looks
4. Only modest power gain needed.
Same here. I had a UUC TSE2 exhaust on my E46 and it was loud, which got very tiring quick. It also droned a lot but sounded great when going WOT. My vote is for a moderately more aggressive sounding exhaust, with no drone. Something that is quiet when just cruising but when pushed lets you know that there is something special under the hood.
OEM SS Kit & Performance Steering Wheel| Blacklines | HO 30% Tints | Euro Xenons | Lux 5.0 | 6000k Xenons | RD Sport Quad Exhaust | Spearco Intercooler | Procede V3 | MORR VS7 | KW V3 | H&R Sways | Mtech Bodykit | Vorsteiner CF Hood, CSL Trunk & Front Lip | ACS Style Roof Spoiler | Quaife LSD | Rotora BBK | GruppeM Intake | Forge UK DV | AR Design Catted DP's
      02-25-2007, 08:38 PM   #37
TheAcAvenger
Brigadier General

Drives: 2007 E92 335i

See my previous post, and make it titanium.

Seriously, people on this thread are right. There are so many aftermarket options, i'd like to see the Vishnu setup be the most performance oriented, lightweight, biggest gain exhaust of the bunch.
2007 E92 335i - TC Kline DA Coilovers, HPA M3 Suspension Retrofit, Quaife LSD, Stoptech 6/4 BBK, Volk TE-37s, AR Downpipes, RDSport Quads, Forge DVs, Stett OC, RB Turbos, Procede V5, PWM Meth, Helix IC, EAS DCI, Rixster VEI, M-Tech Sides, OEM Aero Lip, Rieger Spoiler, Vorsteiner V-35 Hood, Performance Steering Wheel, Anthracite Headliner, OSS Headlights
TheAcAvenger is offline   United_States
      02-25-2007, 09:30 PM   #38
DrewKo
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 335i Montego Blue Saddle Brown

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
I would like quad pipes, or if not quads then larger pipes. I want them looking stronger than the stock pipes, and the larger the hole the better they look. No unintended reference meant by large hole.
      02-25-2007, 09:38 PM   #39
T Bone
Brigadier General

Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewKo View Post
I would like quad pipes, or if not quads then larger pipes. I want them looking stronger than the stock pipes, and the larger the hole the better they look. No unintended reference meant by large hole.
BMW was very deliberate to make a rounded bumper cover to prevent quad pipes, which BMW reserves for M cars.

If we cannot get quads, then Carbon Fiber tips would be really cool....or some other cool material since we are restricted to 2 pipes without modding the bumper.
      02-25-2007, 09:48 PM   #40
CanadianTSi
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 97 Eagle Talon TSi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRGOO7 View Post
Make it LOUD and have a nice low end rumble.....

i heard that if you reduce the backpressure on turbo cars it kills their power range...is this true shiv?
The best exhaust for a Turbo car is no exhaust at all. The Turbo creates all the back pressure your ever going to need.
      02-25-2007, 09:48 PM   #41
PSI Power
Twin Turbo Goodness

Drives: '07 335i E90

Sound quality is what matters the most to me.
I had a B5 S4 (the 2.7L Twin Turbo Version) with a UUC Motorwerks VM3 dual exhaust. This exhaust is probably the best you will hear from a non-super-class sports car. At idle has a nice deep tone. At full throttle, freakin awesome. And it gets louder as the RPMs get higher, does not die out like a lot of other exhaust. Many Audi owners and BMW owners have commented on how awesome my exhaust sounds.
It can be heard here:
http://www.funkadelic.org/media/exhaust/vm3_rev.mpg

Add some nice tips to the end and decent fitment, you have yourself a winner.

AWE-Tuning has a nice exhaust for the B5 S4. Take a look at the Twin 1 exhaust system:
http://www.awe-tuning.com/pages/shar...ust&IL=Twin2S4

I know that the setup on the 335i is different but something like this would be great.

-PSI Power.

MODS: A little bit of this, A little bit of that
PSI Power is offline   United_States
      02-25-2007, 09:53 PM   #42
Deveray
Private First Class

Drives: 535i X-Drive Touring

1) legally passes emissions despite no second cat [sounds like you have this as part of the spec] and ethically passes emissions - i.e. do we have to feel guilty that there are no second cats or don't they do much anyway?
2) performance enhancing - sound without performance is fake
3) sound - agree with most comments above
4) dual tips - not because of the bumper issue but because of the "fake M3" implication of quad tips

Bottom line - performance enhancement without guilt or faking it..... making nice sounds... [I am still talking about the BMW by the way so snap out of your latest fantasy]
      02-25-2007, 10:22 PM   #43
chubbs979
Private First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
BMW was very deliberate to make a rounded bumper cover to prevent quad pipes, which BMW reserves for M cars.

If we cannot get quads, then Carbon Fiber tips would be really cool....or some other cool material since we are restricted to 2 pipes without modding the bumper.
+1, Carbon Fiber tips would be awesome.
      02-25-2007, 10:35 PM   #44
adriver
Enlisted Member

Drives: soon to be

1. free flowing design
2. weight
3. sound. (clean and quiet) Mine is debadged with a procede for a reason. I dont want people to hear me cruising next to them. I want to blend in until I floor it and fly right past em.
4. looks. Tips should be the easiest part, and I would prefer a stock-like appearance.

5. straight pipes with heat shields should be available too.

To all these people who want loud riced/raced out cars. Why not go buy an evo, or sti. Those seem to look great with stickers all over them too.