E90Post

VIBE Motorsports

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Why we're car enthusiasts...........

02-12-2011, 01:11 PM   #1
beemerbird
Major General
England

Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
Why we're car enthusiasts...........

You know when you're fortunate enough to find one of those private roads to drive along, bit like the road that runs along Humberside Airport, briefly joins the A1173 before taking the B1225 towards Louth, well today was such a day.

First opportunity I've had to really drive the car since 'running in' and the poor weather we've had.

A lovely 11 degrees, a good amount of sunshine, damp roads in places but no matter and now over 5k on the clock, so off we go fuelled by Shells finest and the intention of really exploring the little TT.

The road is typically undulating in places and a mix of repaired surfaces at the nearside although smoothly done but we drive over them without tramlining or fuss, that fidgety ride comes into its own here, the suspension is sorted and we're sitting squat and grip is plentiful. I'm 'reading' the feedback through the steering wheel, the sweet bass note of the exhaust a constant in my ears and the car eager to pull and we're covering ground with little effort. Foot off slightly as we approach some bends, a left hander that gradually tightens up before veering right and straight ahead once more............back on the pedal through the bends using the cars torque to sit the suspension flat, no need to change down for these bends, we're over 3k revs right where the power is, we get through with ease at around 87mph......damn could have gone through faster, the car is laughing at me saying what bend.

Back on the straight and another car is on my private road, I'm doing 90 mph can see clearly ahead so overtake in 6th gear, slight press on the pedal and we're passed and continue.............I check the digital speedo - oh 112 mph ok, there's a curve in the road ahead can I maintain this speed........yes we're right on the power band of bhp and torque now, the little TT is growling and feels totally alive, it is wanting to devour this road, we take the curve and accelerate yet further part way through, the car just grips and sits on the road and continues to pull and pull, this is all so effortless, I feel totally part of the car now, we're a team and how much can I push this car before..............

Further ahead there's some tighter right hand bends and I drop to 4th gear, the 5th cylinder run off giving that distinctive 'pop' and floor it through the bends testing the grip but waiting just in case, I can hear the turbo spooling up as it sucks vast amounts of air, the engine pulls, the exhaust growls and the car won't let go, the steering is now at its best, I point the car it goes and we're through one right hander then the next and back on the straight.

After a stop we decide to head back along this private road and I remember the sport button ............that little button which opens the flap in the right hand exhaust for even more noise and increases throttle response. This doesn't give you any increase in bhp but the sharpened throttle response is very noticeable and today I discovered engine breaking is not as significant when in 'sport mode'. Lets do a test I thought...........that bend up ahead you could drop into 5th if you wanted to, can be done in 6th also. Leave the car in 6th gear and sport mode and accelerate, jesus she's pulling like a train..........tight left hander coming up, down to fourth, pop, pop goes the exhaust once again, need to use the brakes more as less engine breaking - no worries, the brakes are more than up to the task. The car just wants to pull, I hold her back she's trying to dominate me a bit now and is more of a handful. I accelerate through the bend smoothly and squarely planted on the road before another almighty whoosh from the turbo as we are propelled along the tarmac with such ease, into 6th gear and the little TT carries on pulling, we're well into 3 figures.

Now a very smooth stretch of private road, bit like the A15 towards the Humber Bridge and as good as the French toll roads........honest! How can this little car be so comfortable with its stiff suspension and squat wheelbase, I could travel many miles like this and yet a few moments ago we were growling and snarling at the road ahead as we tested our metal against the tarmac.

I would summarise that the little TTRS has turned out to be quite a piece of kit and yep, a thoroughly enjoyable and fun drive today and one of those days if makes it all worth while and why we all love our cars.

Happy motoring Guys.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2011, 01:18 PM   #2
toxicnerve
Colonel

Drives: E92 335d M-Sport

So true.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2011, 01:28 PM   #3
ss134
Brigadier General
United Kingdom

Drives: ...a hard bargain...

Sounds like you had a great day Helen - glad youre enjoying the TTRS to the full!
2009 6MT E90 LCI 335i M -Sport - Sold
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2011, 02:09 PM   #4
peterg1965
Brigadier General
United Kingdom

Drives: MY12 Range Rover Sport HSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerbird View Post
You know when you're fortunate enough to find one of those private roads to drive along, bit like the road that runs along Humberside Airport, briefly joins the A1173 before taking the B1225 towards Louth, well today was such a day.

First opportunity I've had to really drive the car since 'running in' and the poor weather we've had.

A lovely 11 degrees, a good amount of sunshine, damp roads in places but no matter and now over 5k on the clock, so off we go fuelled by Shells finest and the intention of really exploring the little TT.

The road is typically undulating in places and a mix of repaired surfaces at the nearside although smoothly done but we drive over them without tramlining or fuss, that fidgety ride comes into its own here, the suspension is sorted and we're sitting squat and grip is plentiful. I'm 'reading' the feedback through the steering wheel, the sweet bass note of the exhaust a constant in my ears and the car eager to pull and we're covering ground with little effort. Foot off slightly as we approach some bends, a left hander that gradually tightens up before veering right and straight ahead once more............back on the pedal through the bends using the cars torque to sit the suspension flat, no need to change down for these bends, we're over 3k revs right where the power is, we get through with ease at around 87mph......damn could have gone through faster, the car is laughing at me saying what bend.

Back on the straight and another car is on my private road, I'm doing 90 mph can see clearly ahead so overtake in 6th gear, slight press on the pedal and we're passed and continue.............I check the digital speedo - oh 112 mph ok, there's a curve in the road ahead can I maintain this speed........yes we're right on the power band of bhp and torque now, the little TT is growling and feels totally alive, it is wanting to devour this road, we take the curve and accelerate yet further part way through, the car just grips and sits on the road and continues to pull and pull, this is all so effortless, I feel totally part of the car now, we're a team and how much can I push this car before..............

Further ahead there's some tighter right hand bends and I drop to 4th gear, the 5th cylinder run off giving that distinctive 'pop' and floor it through the bends testing the grip but waiting just in case, I can hear the turbo spooling up as it sucks vast amounts of air, the engine pulls, the exhaust growls and the car won't let go, the steering is now at its best, I point the car it goes and we're through one right hander then the next and back on the straight.

After a stop we decide to head back along this private road and I remember the sport button ............that little button which opens the flap in the right hand exhaust for even more noise and increases throttle response. This doesn't give you any increase in bhp but the sharpened throttle response is very noticeable and today I discovered engine breaking is not as significant when in 'sport mode'. Lets do a test I thought...........that bend up ahead you could drop into 5th if you wanted to, can be done in 6th also. Leave the car in 6th gear and sport mode and accelerate, jesus she's pulling like a train..........tight left hander coming up, down to fourth, pop, pop goes the exhaust once again, need to use the brakes more as less engine breaking - no worries, the brakes are more than up to the task. The car just wants to pull, I hold her back she's trying to dominate me a bit now and is more of a handful. I accelerate through the bend smoothly and squarely planted on the road before another almighty whoosh from the turbo as we are propelled along the tarmac with such ease, into 6th gear and the little TT carries on pulling, we're well into 3 figures.

Now a very smooth stretch of private road, bit like the A15 towards the Humber Bridge and as good as the French toll roads........honest! How can this little car be so comfortable with its stiff suspension and squat wheelbase, I could travel many miles like this and yet a few moments ago we were growling and snarling at the road ahead as we tested our metal against the tarmac.

I would summarise that the little TTRS has turned out to be quite a piece of kit and yep, a thoroughly enjoyable and fun drive today and one of those days if makes it all worth while and why we all love our cars.

Happy motoring Guys.
Very good Helen, but you will be back in a Porker within 6 months
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2011, 02:24 PM   #5
zltm089
Major General
United Kingdom

Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [5.00]
god damn! you should be a car journalist!!!...always enjoy your reviews/ write ups!...

all i can say is that i got buttfcuked by an M3 today.....well he was doing crazy speed and i didn't want to risk it...but i managed to follow!!!...

Happy motoring guys!!!....

Current Car: E92 335i SE Dream Cars: AMG SL65 Black,GallardoSuperleggera, GTR 2012, Agera R, F430 Scuderia, DBS, EVO X FQ400, Lexus LFA, F10 M5, M4, GT3 RS4.0, Ferrari 458, Ferrari F12, R8 V10 plus, Jaguar F Type V8, Lamborghini LP700-4 Aventador, Chevrolet Camaro ZL1, C63 AMG Coupe Black, Vanquish 2012, Laferrari, GT3 991, McLaren 650s.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2011, 02:28 PM   #6
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom

Drives: Modified Alpine White E92 335i

Bit more poetic than usual H. Feeling nostalgic? Reminds me of my own 'a drive at night' post that caused such a fuss.... could that mean the TT is love?

Matt
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2011, 03:20 PM   #7
CHG
Lieutenant
United Kingdom

Drives: A Variety of 4 Wheeled Things

Wanna swap for the SL Helen?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2011, 03:28 PM   #8
beemerbird
Major General
England

Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
Oh yes, I do remember your 'drive at night' story Matt.

Maybe I am a bit more melancholic these days, but what is love.........hmm there's a question.

Peter is right, if Russell at Leeds say said here's the keys to a Generation II Turbo, just give me the TTRS, I'd be like ok, here's the keys and the V5 to the TT, thank you bye and I'm off to fill up and hit the road lol.

Think it's a case of appreciating the TT more and a deeper bond has emerged. We're in a credit crunch, no pay rise for the third year and I'm noticing how money isn't going as far what with price increases with everyday purchases etc.

I've found a car that provides reasonable fuel economy in relation to available power, handles very well, stops well lol, is fun and engaging has its own character, nice place to sit (forgot to mention the seats actually - love them), well put together and is a mini Porsche Turbo in many respects. Would rather have had the rear spoiler that raises itself rather than a fixed one but hey ho.

Today put the fun back into driving after a good few weeks of shite weather and 'office politics' and it was this little car that gave me that feeling. It always does what I ask of it and I can't say fairer than that tbh. You watch it'll break down now.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2011, 03:32 PM   #9
kdiz
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom

Drives: BMW 335i SE

Garage List
was nice reading that iv had a few nice runs in my current car down some good bendy empty roads although i don't like to push it too much being that it's 20 years old!!!

You know it's serious when you think "i'm going way too fast and need to slow down"

The TTRS sounds like a monster
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2011, 03:42 PM   #10
AlanQS
Colonel
Scotland

Drives: 320d SE Coupe

Garage List
Your description gives a new definition to the term "auto-erotic" and you seem to have enjoyed the drive and that's the whole point.

If you appreciate enough of your car's characteristics then - at least in the short term - you have the right car. I can almost understand ('cos I haven't experienced it myself) the attraction that a Gen II Turbo must have for you.
      02-12-2011, 04:11 PM   #11
squeezebm
Colonel

Drives: Audi

H,liking your write up and it's good to here about someone really enjoying what they have rather than than forever wanting more I have had a really good drive of the cayman today for the first time in a while
and it does you good letting it "loose" sometimes on your own............

ps............I got a loaner gen2 turbo coming next w/end ooooooh yes
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2011, 04:33 PM   #12
Gibbo
Colonel

Drives: Golf Ed35

Helen, good to hear you are enjoying your car with the better weather and a bit of free time. I brought some screen wash today from our local Audi dealer and they had a TTRS in white it the showroom and thought of you whilst I was looking at it.

Unfortunately it's rare to enjoy our cars with busy lives and over crowded roads so your write up tonight reminds us why we all enjoy our cars.
      02-12-2011, 04:38 PM   #13
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England

Drives: E46 M3 CS

Garage List
Enjoyed Reading that thanks H!
      02-12-2011, 06:37 PM   #14
JLR1969
Brigadier General
United Kingdom

Drives: Ford GT Lawn Tractor

Was out on the MTB today and the roads were dry and the sun was shining, thought it's about time I took the Merc out, not driven it in over a month.

Reading your story made me wish I had
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2011, 06:55 PM   #15
Tunna_uk
Captain

Drives: BMW 325i M sport

Garage List
Now I want to put the Summer tyres back on mine and go for a drive. Thanks Helen.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2011, 09:00 PM   #16
hmi1750
Major

Drives: M135i

fantastic drive by the sounds of it... and love the sincere description of it! Makes me want to go for a 'proper' drive now! Just that it is wet and my tyres are not up for it in this weather.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2011, 07:51 AM   #17
zltm089
Major General
United Kingdom

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeezebm View Post
H,liking your write up and it's good to here about someone really enjoying what they have rather than than forever wanting more I have had a really good drive of the cayman today for the first time in a while
and it does you good letting it "loose" sometimes on your own............

ps............I got a loaner gen2 turbo coming next w/end ooooooh yes

...enjoy mate!!!!.....

Current Car: E92 335i SE Dream Cars: AMG SL65 Black,GallardoSuperleggera, GTR 2012, Agera R, F430 Scuderia, DBS, EVO X FQ400, Lexus LFA, F10 M5, M4, GT3 RS4.0, Ferrari 458, Ferrari F12, R8 V10 plus, Jaguar F Type V8, Lamborghini LP700-4 Aventador, Chevrolet Camaro ZL1, C63 AMG Coupe Black, Vanquish 2012, Laferrari, GT3 991, McLaren 650s.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2011, 11:36 AM   #18
TMP
Colonel
United Kingdom

Drives: M135i

As ever mate brill review! Made me smile on this rainy horrible Sunday afternoon :-)
      02-13-2011, 01:07 PM   #19
squeezebm
Colonel

Drives: Audi

Quote:
Originally Posted by zltm089 View Post
...enjoy mate!!!!.....
arrrgh but now I've got a new XKR supercharged jobby lined up aswell

Who had a go in one of these ????
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2011, 01:33 PM   #20
zltm089
Major General
United Kingdom

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [5.00]
Quote:

I think our Beemerbird might have!...

Appreciate 0
      02-13-2011, 01:42 PM   #21
peterg1965
Brigadier General
United Kingdom

Drives: MY12 Range Rover Sport HSE

Quote:

I like those! An XKR 5.0 Supercharged convertible in blue or black would be very nice! Seem to be good value as a nearly new, they shed about 20,000 in a blink of an eye. (bit like a 997tt)
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2011, 02:30 PM   #22
Snooky
Major
Scotland

Drives: Q5 S Line Plus; 208 Gti

Enjoyed that review Helen. I must say, whilst not on the same planet as the TTRS, I am really enjoying my diesel TT. It is a lot of fun on the twisties and very comfortable on my motorway runs too. The car is very cosseting - feels very small (in a good go-kart-like way) and visibility is fantastic. Would love the RS version for the occasional blast with soundtrack but, for my purposes, the quattro diesel TT has been perfect....and, only 3,500 miles in (heavy snow and a nasty bout of swine-flu have kept me out of the driving seat for about 5 weeks of the 3 months I've had it)...MPG of 50.5

Thanks for cheering us all up Helen!

J