E90Post

Horizon LED

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Why we're car enthusiasts...........

02-14-2011, 11:44 AM   #23
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdiz View Post
iv had a few nice runs in my current car down some good bendy empty roads although i don't like to push it too much being that it's 20 years old!!!
Is that the Golf? Read something the other day saying how many Golfs have been made since production............millions and millions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeezebm View Post
arrrgh but now I've got a new XKR supercharged jobby lined up aswell

Who had a go in one of these ????
Calvin you plonker. Bloody bargain secondhand those and everything standard. Gearbox for a slush box is well sorted also.

How the hell have you got a Gen II turbo as a loan car?!?!

John - Sorry to hear you haven't been well.

Mpg almost, but not quite, double mine , low depreciation and you enjoy the car - sorted I reckon.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 11:51 AM   #24
creepy coupe
Major General
Rep

Drives: M235i

Garage List
2009 335i  [0.00]
Days like that are what itís all about, when everything just slots in to place, like a well oiled rifle.. Sadly days like that are a rare thing these days for most of us.

I'd say your TT is every bit a proper car Helen and sitting low to the ground, must only enhance the feeling of speed.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 12:08 PM   #25
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Am lucky around here Del as plenty of emptyish roads tbh and Lincs is rural also.

Steve reckons I should get the car re-mapped as a lot of places doing it now and seems quite straight forward to 'up the ante' so to speak. Not sure though, don't want to affect reliability?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 12:23 PM   #26
KadeSdad
Colonel
Rep

Drives: E350 CDI Sport Cabriolet

So you'd recommend the TTRS then Helen? Friend of mine is thinking about one of these if he can get hold of one.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 01:25 PM   #27
kdiz
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: BMW 335i SE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerbird View Post
Is that the Golf? Read something the other day saying how many Golfs have been made since production............millions and millions.
I think in total there where 650,000 mk2 gti 8v made in wolfsburg so yea it isn't a rare car but 20 years on there is very very few in good nick.

Totally differernt style of driving compared with newer cars. Old sports suspention setup is the roughest i have ever felt, and only weighing in at 920kg you always feel on the very edge. The seats dont hug you much when going round bends, and it loses traction a lot when in the lower gears especially if the roads arnt warm / dry. So much wind noise above 60mph feels like a door is open, and there is about a million rattles. Yet all of these downpoints just make it all the more fun to drive

In a way I wish I wasn't going to sell it but I need the space

Buying a 335i at the end of the month I think now and taking collection in March. Going to be funny switching to that from this, worlds apart.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 02:30 PM   #28
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KadeSdad View Post
So you'd recommend the TTRS then Helen? Friend of mine is thinking about one of these if he can get hold of one.
Depends what car he's coming from and what he wants out of a car I'd say.

Initially I found the ride quite firm coming from the S5 but whether I've got used to it or the suspension has settled down a bit or a combination of the two, not sure as now I don't notice it if that makes sense.

Forget carrying anyone taller than four and a half feet in the back as they'll whack their head - there's even a sticker warning of head banging lol. The two 'back seats' folded down gives 700 litres of space I believe.

But if you enjoy listening to a five cylinder turbo engine singing away, then a deep bass note and a growl as you hit 3k revs and a pretty good surge in any gear right through to the red line (and beyond ahem), and a car that goes where you point it and grips like the proverbial and feels alive then you'd more than likely enjoy the car.

Like the Cayman S it always feels eager to 'play' and always feels ready. Again, maybe that isn't for everyone as say on a motorway at 80mph you're nearly at 3k revs so right on that point of deep exhaust note, but then accelerate to overtake and watch the speedo reach 100 mph surprisingly quickly. They've obviously put some effort into how the car sounds and for me, I love the noise it makes. Tad chavy from cold on start up, as like most dry sump lubrication engines with a turbo, they rev quite high (1,400 revs for a few seconds) but good for making people jump lol.

Not sure what the 'must haves' are on the car but most seem to have sat. nav fitted and the sports exhaust seems popular in the UK. The magnetic ride system to me would be far too hard on our roads but probably ok for track use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdiz View Post
I think in total there where 650,000 mk2 gti 8v made in wolfsburg so yea it isn't a rare car but 20 years on there is very very few in good nick.

Totally differernt style of driving compared with newer cars. Old sports suspention setup is the roughest i have ever felt, and only weighing in at 920kg you always feel on the very edge. The seats dont hug you much when going round bends, and it loses traction a lot when in the lower gears especially if the roads arnt warm / dry. So much wind noise above 60mph feels like a door is open, and there is about a million rattles. Yet all of these downpoints just make it all the more fun to drive

In a way I wish I wasn't going to sell it but I need the space

Buying a 335i at the end of the month I think now and taking collection in March. Going to be funny switching to that from this, worlds apart.
Maybe not rare but what a success story!

Like my old Mini lol.............passenger footwell leaked water when it rained and WD40 invariably required on the HT leads and loads of wind noise, but hey that's character.

The 335i will be a totally different experience but the whole concept of the car is a very good idea imo and offers a lot in one car.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 02:39 PM   #29
KadeSdad
Colonel
Rep

Drives: E350 CDI Sport Cabriolet

Quote:
Depends what car he's coming from and what he wants out of a car I'd say.
350z so not too much of an indifferent leap. If he manages to track one down for a test drive I said I'll go along
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 02:45 PM   #30
Snooky
Major
Scotland
Rep

Drives: Q5 S Line Plus; 208 Gti

Quote:
John - Sorry to hear you haven't been well.

Mpg almost, but not quite, double mine , low depreciation and you enjoy the car - sorted I reckon.
Thanks Helen. Swine flu is not much fun I can assure you!! You certainly appreciate your health after a few weeks laid low!!

MPG improving - did 450 miles today and now average for the 3,700 miles on the clock is 50.9mpg. Feel totally refreshed from the journey too - way more comfortable than the Scirocco on a journey (always felt exhausted after a day in that - albeit it was great fun on a blast across the B roads!).

However, the chap I was meeting today was driving an Aston DBS - what a car!!
      02-14-2011, 02:51 PM   #31
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Drives: E46 M3 CS

Garage List
Wow didn't know they were dry sumped.
      02-14-2011, 03:03 PM   #32
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KadeSdad View Post
350z so not too much of an indifferent leap. If he manages to track one down for a test drive I said I'll go along
Ahh fair enough lol. There's some kicking around at main dealers on AUC coming soon demos.

When I rang my dealer enquiring about extended warranty on a TT Tdi I happened to slip into the convo 'any RS5 demos at the mo then?'........No Helen, Lincoln may have one though, let me look into it...........took you long enough to ask. I said market research that's all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snooky View Post
Thanks Helen. Swine flu is not much fun I can assure you!! You certainly appreciate your health after a few weeks laid low!!

MPG improving - did 450 miles today and now average for the 3,700 miles on the clock is 50.9mpg. Feel totally refreshed from the journey too - way more comfortable than the Scirocco on a journey (always felt exhausted after a day in that - albeit it was great fun on a blast across the B roads!).

Not good John from what I've heard!

That is impressive............I can get 32 mpg at a constant 70 mph for miles and miles and miles..............

Aston DBS - Look and sound so
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 03:17 PM   #33
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
Wow didn't know they were dry sumped.
Same as the R8 I think?

"Dry-sump lubrication is an essential part of the TT RSís engine - another innovative technology perfected on the racetrack. It allows the turbocharged engine to cope with extreme cornering forces without being starved of oil. Which means itíll perform perfectly under lateral loads of up to 1.2 g."

Downsides being - cost and extra weight.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 02:59 AM   #34
creepy coupe
Major General
Rep

Drives: M235i

Garage List
2009 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Am lucky around here Del as plenty of emptyish roads tbh and Lincs is rural also.

Steve reckons I should get the car re-mapped as a lot of places doing it now and seems quite straight forward to 'up the ante' so to speak. Not sure though, don't want to affect reliability?
I had my A3 T Sport remapped by AMD, when they were a little family run place near Oxford and I was mightily impressed, the end results were nothing but + points. I wouldnít have thought you will keep it long enough to worry about long term reliability Helen?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 03:00 PM   #35
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy coupe View Post
I had my A3 T Sport remapped by AMD, when they were a little family run place near Oxford and I was mightily impressed, the end results were nothing but + points. I wouldnít have thought you will keep it long enough to worry about long term reliability Helen?
Fair point Del, although am looking to keep this one longer as other committments financially speaking.

It's more a trust thing probably.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2011, 01:39 PM   #36
ed335d
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
57 e92 M3  [5.00]
2008 e92 335d  [0.00]
Not sure how I missed this thread, but nice write-up H
      02-18-2011, 03:19 PM   #37
ss134
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: ...a hard bargain...

Quote:

I would say to live with the car standard for a while and then when the familiarity starts to creep in get the remap - and if youre keeping the car for a few years it will keep you interested....almost like getting a new car .
TTRS with a remap is no joke - you would shock a few 996 turbo owners.
2009 6MT E90 LCI 335i M -Sport - Sold
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2011, 03:43 PM   #38
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss134 View Post
I would say to live with the car standard for a while and then when the familiarity starts to creep in get the remap - and if youre keeping the car for a few years it will keep you interested....almost like getting a new car .
TTRS with a remap is no joke - you would shock a few 996 turbo owners.
Is maybe two years or so a few years Steve.

Had a little play with a 60 reg. sepang blue R8 V8 on my test track road on the way home from work. Came up behind him off a roundabout and he clocked me as I saw him looking in his mirror. Had his mate with him.

I knew where his first opportunity would be to overtake the Pug 106 that was in front of him, and he did and floored it so I followed and not being funny kept up with him. First bend is a left hander that at a push, warm tyres in the dry you can take at about 92 mph.........bugger me he braked for the bend, we were only doing about 85! Just wasn't expecting it really, but thankfully I wasn't right on is arse. I've driven the R8 V10 and it would easily take the bend at 85. There's a series of bends after that and he just wouldn't push it at all and there was no traffic ahead for a good while, in fact he slowed down tbh.

I was driving along behind him thinking what a bloody waste of that car. Switched the ipod on after that.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2011, 06:33 PM   #39
ss134
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: ...a hard bargain...

Quote:

Had a little play with a 60 reg. sepang blue R8 V8 on my test track road on the way home from work. Came up behind him off a roundabout and he clocked me as I saw him looking in his mirror. Had his mate with him.

I knew where his first opportunity would be to overtake the Pug 106 that was in front of him, and he did and floored it so I followed and not being funny kept up with him. First bend is a left hander that at a push, warm tyres in the dry you can take at about 92 mph.........bugger me he braked for the bend, we were only doing about 85! Just wasn't expecting it really, but thankfully I wasn't right on is arse. I've driven the R8 V10 and it would easily take the bend at 85. There's a series of bends after that and he just wouldn't push it at all and there was no traffic ahead for a good while, in fact he slowed down tbh.

I was driving along behind him thinking what a bloody waste of that car. Switched the ipod on after that.
It doesnt surprise me at all that you kept up with a V8 R8 - there is not much in it in straight line performance at those speeds.

As for the driver - maybe you bullied him into submission!
2009 6MT E90 LCI 335i M -Sport - Sold
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2011, 05:32 AM   #40
Cafe.Racer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: 320d Touring

Get it remapped... even more awesomeness once remapped...

If you're worried about reliability, well, don't be too worried but do get it remapped by someone like Revo. If you can bring yourself to make it over to Manchester way, Awesome Gti are very good (and are now Revo dealers).
      02-19-2011, 10:56 AM   #41
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Cheers for the info. Phil.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2011, 11:25 AM   #42
briers
Ben
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: XFR

Quote:

Yea but Helen you forget what a capable nutcase you are.

I've seen you 4wdrift that thing, even on unfamiliar roads you're feckin quick... And crazy
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2011, 12:20 PM   #43
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Drives: E46 M3 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snooky View Post

How long did you have swine flu?! Could you not even get out of bed?' how long laid up completely ?
      02-19-2011, 02:22 PM   #44
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep

Drives: VW T5

Garage List
Nice review Helen, that extra flap of yours was certainly impressive.