E90Post

E92 Lighting

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > What SHOULD my USB ipod kit do with my ipod?

02-12-2011, 05:51 PM   #1
sgtroberta

Drives: 2007 328i 6speed

What SHOULD my USB ipod kit do with my ipod?

Hi There. I just bought a used 2007 328i 4 door. It does not have the NAV system. It does have the USB 6FL kit or whatever in the center console. When I hook up my 120GB classic ipod, it starts playing songs, but I could not figure out the navigation of the ipod using the head unit controls. All I got below the track name was DIR and TRACK I think. I messed around under DIR with ipod control then itunes and music, but just weird folder names. I hooked up my daughters old 2GB nano and under track name I get LIST / DIR / ARTIST / ALBUM / GENRE / TRACK so that one seems to work. I can go to artist and navigate to different artists, etc. I also tried an 8GB nano (newer) an old 20GB ipod as well as my new 120GB classic as I mentioned, but none of those work. So what gives? Why is the 2GB nano the only one that appears to work correctly? could it be the cable? I am using an older apple ipod cable (ipod connector on one end USB on the other). The 2GB will not do me much good as it is so small. To make things worse, the car came with no manual and the manual I found online at BMW only shows controlling the ipod with the NAV unit, not with the radio. Any clarity you can provide would be appreciated!

Thanks,

A happy new BMW owner (except for the ipod problem)
      02-12-2011, 06:18 PM   #2
ctuna
Brigadier General

Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

try doing an ipod usb search here

try doing an ipod usb search here
There are some threads on which ones work and what updates you need if any.
some hard drives even work according to some of the threads
      02-12-2011, 10:43 PM   #3
sgtroberta

Drives: 2007 328i 6speed

Yeah, I did that and dont see much. I found some stuff on which hard drives and flash drives work, but not much on why certain ipods work and other dont. I have the luxury of going out to the car and trying 5 differnt types of ipods (2GB nano, 8GB nano, 20GB ipod no color, 20GB ipod photo with color and new classic 120GB ipod). Only the 2GB nano showed LIST / ARTIST / ALBUM and such. All the others did not. I guess I will give up on using the 6FL and just use the aux jack and control from the ipod. I can't believe the charge so much for this factory i[pod solution that only works with one ipod out of 5 that I tried.
      02-12-2011, 11:34 PM   #4
ERVJOHNS
Enlisted Member

Drives: 2011 335xi MSport

I think you need a Y cable - iPod on one end and a USB and aux connector on the other end, the USB provides control info and music streams over the aux connector. Cable is BMW specific and you get it from BMW. That should work with all iPods on your year car.
      02-13-2011, 02:21 AM   #5
ctuna
Brigadier General

Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

ipod compatibility list

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ight=ipod+list
      02-16-2011, 05:17 AM   #6
enforcerman
The Man

Drives: 2007 328i

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to enforcerman
You need the bmw cable.
Blacked out Kidney Grill || Bluetooth Retrofit || Ipod Retrofit || Rear Power Outlets || Euro Switch || Blacklines
enforcerman is offline   United_States
      02-16-2011, 07:20 PM   #7
jsunma
Private First Class

Drives: 2008 328iT

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtroberta View Post
To make things worse, the car came with no manual and the manual I found online at BMW only shows controlling the ipod with the NAV unit, not with the radio. Any clarity you can provide would be appreciated!
just fwiw, if you don't mind giving more money to BMW, you can order the proper manuals from a dealer's service department. You'll also want the radio manual (it's different from the main owner's manual). The ones that BMW posts online are only for iDrive cars, and the various bootleg manuals (those posted on forums and the like) are sort of iffy in terms of being the ones you need. Personally, I find an actual authentic paper manual a good thing to have. But then again, maybe I'm just a geezer.