E90Post

TireRack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Instrument Cluster + DSC Button Not Working...ideas?

10-22-2014, 07:49 PM   #1
2PInZ
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi Black/Black

Instrument Cluster + DSC Button Not Working...ideas?

Hello,

Last week my 2007 328xi's instrument cluster randomly stopped working. After trying out all my lights and buttons, I also noticed that the DSC button isn't working either (no notification on the iDrive saying inactive/limited/etc.). When my car is turned off, the backlights to several buttons on the steering wheel and center console stay lit and never turn off either.

I searched through the forums and found a previous thread with this exact issue (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=735279). The solution for that user was to replace fuse 58. I inspected fuse 58 but it looked fine (image attached), but that user mentioned that his looked fine as well. I went out and bought a pack of replacements and put in a new one...no luck.

After that failing, I disconnected the battery and inspected all the fuses and none were blown. I left the battery disconnected for an hour but upon restarting the car, the instrument cluster is still not working.

Any ideas on what I'm missing here?

Image 1: Cluster not working when car is on
Image 2: Backlights that are always on now
Image 3: Old fuse 58 and what I replaced it with
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-24-2014, 11:32 PM   #2
2PInZ
Private
Rep

bump?

I took it to a shop I found on bimmershops and they checked all fuses...apparently there are 2 other fuse panels on top of the one behind the glove box. They found no issue with any of the fuses. To figure out what exactly the problem was, they would have to charge for diagnostics and I didn't want to do that at the moment. They also checked the battery and it was fine...no issues at all at startup.

They also thought this problem was weird with everything else in the car working fine. I'm thinking that maybe the connector to the instrument cluster may be faulty or disconnected somehow...would it be worth removing the instrument cluster and investigating? Could it still somehow be the battery itself?

any thoughts much appreciated...thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2014, 07:43 AM   #3
fazman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

Find some local coder who can hook up his OBD2 cable to your car and check for error codes. Or you can go on ebay and buy a cheap $30 coding cable yourself... then use the free BMWLogger software by Smooth1 to read your codes anytime you want for the life of the car (this is probably the best investment you will ever make).
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2014, 10:24 AM   #4
messar
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93

Check fuse 74. If you're OBD port doesn't work along with the instruments, (any generic scanner can be tried), it's that fuse for sure.

Matt
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2014, 03:13 PM   #5
2PInZ
Private
Rep

Thanks for the replies. I went out and got an OBD II scanner and had the following codes:

U112B - No message from instrument cluster
U1101 - Component protection
P1407 BMW - Tank Fill Level Right Signal
P1408 BMW - Tank Fill Level Left Signal

Those codes make sense with the instrument cluster not working.

Quote:
Originally Posted by messar View Post
Check fuse 74. If you're OBD port doesn't work along with the instruments, (any generic scanner can be tried), it's that fuse for sure.

Matt
My car doesn't have a fuse 74. I looked up what fuse 74 in an 08' 335 is and its equivalent is fuse 58 in my car. I did a search again on those codes and came across this interesting thread: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=909199

That user had a very similar issue and ended up changing fuse 74 to bring the cluster to life, then left the negative terminal on the battery disconnected to keep those codes from returning. I've already changed out fuse 58...I guess I'll try again and leave the negative terminal disconnected overnight. Does the DSC get its direction from the instrument cluster? Since the DSC button isn't working either (no changes in messages on the idrive), I was wondering if they share a common fuse or if the DSC just isn't receiving a return message from the instrument cluster to be able to function.

Last edited by 2PInZ; 10-25-2014 at 03:27 PM.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2014, 04:22 PM   #6
a048779
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 328 xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2PInZ
Hello,

Last week my 2007 328xi's instrument cluster randomly stopped working. After trying out all my lights and buttons, I also noticed that the DSC button isn't working either (no notification on the iDrive saying inactive/limited/etc.). When my car is turned off, the backlights to several buttons on the steering wheel and center console stay lit and never turn off either.

I searched through the forums and found a previous thread with this exact issue (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=735279). The solution for that user was to replace fuse 58. I inspected fuse 58 but it looked fine (image attached), but that user mentioned that his looked fine as well. I went out and bought a pack of replacements and put in a new one...no luck.

After that failing, I disconnected the battery and inspected all the fuses and none were blown. I left the battery disconnected for an hour but upon restarting the car, the instrument cluster is still not working.

Any ideas on what I'm missing here?

Image 1: Cluster not working when car is on
Image 2: Backlights that are always on now
Image 3: Old fuse 58 and what I replaced it with
I don't know if this is part of your problem, but behind the instrument panel is a small battery that could be dead. I don't remember the kind of battery it is, but it was mention n a past thread. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2014, 06:31 PM   #7
2PInZ
Private
Rep

FIXED!!!

I did a couple things, so I'm not exactly sure which one did it. I have had DEPO smoked taillights installed so I figured maybe something weird was going on with that whole circuit. The fuse for that is right next to fuse 58...5A as well.

So I first disconnected the negative terminal of the battery. It already looked pretty clean but I used a little sandpaper and cleaned up the terminal and post and sprayed a little anticorroding battery terminal protector. I then switched out fuse 59 (for the taillights)...even though it looked fine. I disconnected my taillights, waited for a couple hours, reconnected my battery, and voila - the cluster is alive!

The previous codes are probably still there so I'll clear them and I assume they won't return anymore. The first thing the iDrive is asking me about is DSC needs to be activated...so I guess DSC does receive its functionality from the instrument cluster.

So yeah, for those of you who might come across this thread in the future seeking a solution for a similar issue - here's what I would suggest you do:

1. Check fuses...fuse 58 or 76. I am attaching an image of my fuse diagram and I've circled the relevant symbol.

2. If replacing that fuse doesn't work, do a battery reset by disconnecting the negative terminal...cleaning it...and reconnecting it after at least an hour.

3. If that doesn't work...check if you have any upgraded devices that might be eating too much power. Is there a phone charger plugged into your cigarette lighter upon startup? etc.

4. If none of those work and everything else is still working, your problem might be a bit bigger. There has been a BMW recall for the positive battery connection to the fuses...which you can find here (http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=805591) but with something like that, I would assume that you would experience more than just your instrument cluster losing power.

A couple other threads that may help:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=909199

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=735279

Thanks again for the help, e90post! The shop I took it to told me they would need to do extensive diagnostic work to find the issue -_______-

I legitimately probably saved around $800-900 at least. I'll post an update after a few days as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2014, 06:40 PM   #8
2PInZ
Private
Rep

I forgot to upload the pictures in my previous post...whoops. Here they are.

Gl, and thanks again.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0