E90Post
 


Lux Angel Eyes
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > CDV Removal + SSK?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-24-2016, 01:56 AM   #1
Chrispy650
Lieutenant
Chrispy650's Avatar
United_States
15
Rep
554
Posts

Drives: E92 LCI
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: SoCal (Irvine)

iTrader: (2)

CDV Removal + SSK?

So the e92 LCI 328i is my first manual car. Learned how to drive on it then it finally became my car. I've driven it for a little over a year daily so my manual skills have become pretty decent I would say. I added the clutch stop which eliminated a lot of the pedal travel which I like.

I've been reading a lot about the CDV removal and was wondering if this is something I could benefit from and how different would it feel considering this is the only manual I've ever driven. I know the clutch engages differently from when I drive it in the morning vs when it's warmed up. I generally have a smooth 1st to 2nd without it feeling a little jerky but sometimes it does get a little jerky. I know it won't magically make it smooth all the time but would I need to shift any differently from what I'm used to doing now?

Was also looking at the UUC Evo3 SSK but since I've never tried a SSK before I'm not sure how different it would feel vs stock and if it's worth it for DD.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2016, 03:01 AM   #2
Dan Bilzerian
Captain
Dan Bilzerian's Avatar
81
Rep
714
Posts

Drives: E90 6MT
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Edmonds,WA

iTrader: (0)

Yeah to be honest, I don't even know what the CDV delete does.

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-3...i-2006/?pdk=AQ

I bought this and it reduced the throw by 25% I'd say.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2016, 08:11 AM   #3
sirantsE90
Colonel
sirantsE90's Avatar
60
Rep
2,062
Posts

Drives: N51 E90
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Lake Grove

iTrader: (17)

Garage List
2008 328i  [0.00]
DO BOTH! Ssk and modified cdv make the driving experience so much better.
__________________
BMW CCA # 473001
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2016, 08:41 AM   #4
TheAxiom
Major General
TheAxiom's Avatar
No_Country
1006
Rep
5,738
Posts

Drives: E92 6 Speed
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Florida

iTrader: (5)

Do it.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2016, 08:43 AM   #5
cpie168
Captain
Canada
49
Rep
805
Posts

Drives: 2010 E90 328i 6MT ZSP BSM
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: K/W and GTA, Ontario, Canada

iTrader: (1)

Definitely do both.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2016, 09:08 AM   #6
Volasko
Lieutenant Colonel
Volasko's Avatar
Canada
112
Rep
1,676
Posts

Drives: 2006 E90 330i BSM 6MT ZSP
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
When I did the CDV delete I didn't think it was a massive difference. All the CDV did was delay engaging the clutch 100% to prevent clutch damage if you accidentally released it too fast. The problem everyone has with it, is the fact there is now a disconnect to what your foot is asking the clutch to do vs. what actually is happening. Something that gives "driving purists" a headache thinking about. The SSK is something I did well after this mod and I can say I wished I did it sooner. I combined the BMW performance SSK with a weighted ZHP M3 knob (much shorter vs. the standard canoe padddle shifter) and that really improved my shifting experience.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2016, 09:59 AM   #7
ZeroSum
First Lieutenant
ZeroSum's Avatar
17
Rep
318
Posts

Drives: E90 328i/MR2
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Tennessee

iTrader: (0)

Do it.
__________________
2008 Monaco Blue 328i Sedan / Charcoal Delete / K&N Drop In Filter / RM Intake Boot / AA Tune
1993 MR2
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2016, 10:11 AM   #8
Chrispy650
Lieutenant
Chrispy650's Avatar
United_States
15
Rep
554
Posts

Drives: E92 LCI
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: SoCal (Irvine)

iTrader: (2)

Thanks guys. Regarding UUC vs BMW SSK, the UUC site has some pretty convincing info that makes their SSK seem really good but I've seen on the forums they don't have the greatest rep? Would you guys say UUC > BMW regardless or should I stick with OEM?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2016, 10:18 AM   #9
justpete
Colonel
United_States
474
Rep
2,938
Posts

Drives: '11 328i '16 550i
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: DFW

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW 328i  [5.00]
2016 BMW 550i  [4.12]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrispy650 View Post
Thanks guys. Regarding UUC vs BMW SSK, the UUC site has some pretty convincing info that makes their SSK seem really good but I've seen on the forums they don't have the greatest rep? Would you guys say UUC > BMW regardless or should I stick with OEM?
BMW SSK. Had one, liked it. Your clutch and drivetrain bushings/mounts are the limiting factor in effective shift speed. BTW, the CDV is there to limit the speed of the clutch release so slipping off the pedal won't hotspot it.
__________________
2011 E90 328i ZSP 6MT, BMW Aero, CF hood/boot, PI+CAI+RM+3IM+AA, SS+CI528+ThermoTec+Burns, AKG eng, UUC trans, Delrin diff/RS, CM 850, UCP, CAE shftr, AKG DSSR, PG 3.91 30/60 LSD+BW cooler, C&R, Setrab, Accusump, AST 3-way+Swift, fully Aurora PR+BW spherical, Vorshlag CPs, M3 brace+UR bar, ARC-8 18x8.5, 255 R1R, RB/CSL rotors, 135i calipers, RS29, RT700, Safecraft, OMP HTE-R+804F+QD Superquadro, 4pt roll bar, Braille, RT DL1Mk3
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2016, 01:30 PM   #10
desertman123
CERTIFIED
desertman123's Avatar
United_States
23
Rep
126
Posts

Drives: '08 128i (sport/6mt)
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Central FL

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volasko View Post
When I did the CDV delete I didn't think it was a massive difference. All the CDV did was delay engaging the clutch 100% to prevent clutch damage if you accidentally released it too fast. The problem everyone has with it, is the fact there is now a disconnect to what your foot is asking the clutch to do vs. what actually is happening. Something that gives "driving purists" a headache thinking about. The SSK is something I did well after this mod and I can say I wished I did it sooner. I combined the BMW performance SSK with a weighted ZHP M3 knob (much shorter vs. the standard canoe padddle shifter) and that really improved my shifting experience.
I did the CDV delete like 2 days after I bought the car. It made learning manual a huge pain in the ass.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2016, 06:31 PM   #11
W37V
Captain
No_Country
84
Rep
837
Posts

Drives: Car
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Location

iTrader: (0)

For those who have or had BMW SSK, how does it compare to the shifter on M package cars?

Until today, I had no clue BMW made a SSK that fits our cars.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2016, 06:33 PM   #12
cpie168
Captain
Canada
49
Rep
805
Posts

Drives: 2010 E90 328i 6MT ZSP BSM
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: K/W and GTA, Ontario, Canada

iTrader: (1)

It increases the shifting effort but shortens the shift travel. You'll get used to the increased effort soon enough though. Once you've tried it you won't want to go back.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 12:33 PM   #13
W37V
Captain
No_Country
84
Rep
837
Posts

Drives: Car
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Location

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpie168 View Post
It increases the shifting effort but shortens the shift travel. You'll get used to the increased effort soon enough though. Once you've tried it you won't want to go back.
I guess I could give it a try. My local dealership sells it for 165$. That's not too bad at all.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 12:36 PM   #14
cpie168
Captain
Canada
49
Rep
805
Posts

Drives: 2010 E90 328i 6MT ZSP BSM
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: K/W and GTA, Ontario, Canada

iTrader: (1)

You don't even need the entire kit, just the shift lever and the bushing and clip. Should come up to about $80. This is what I got and how much I paid:

25 11 7 542 200 : Shift lever $68.76
25 11 1 469 397 : Bushing $6.48
25 11 7 571 899 : Securing Clip $0.89
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 09:23 PM   #15
Chrispy650
Lieutenant
Chrispy650's Avatar
United_States
15
Rep
554
Posts

Drives: E92 LCI
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: SoCal (Irvine)

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpie168 View Post
You don't even need the entire kit, just the shift lever and the bushing and clip. Should come up to about $80. This is what I got and how much I paid:

25 11 7 542 200 : Shift lever $68.76
25 11 1 469 397 : Bushing $6.48
25 11 7 571 899 : Securing Clip $0.89
Ah was wondering about that. I'm not too fond of the alcantara boot and the shift knob as I have the zhp one which I love. So we're able to use existing boot and knob with those 3 parts?

Also is it a hard install? I've read installs for the 335 but not sure if it's the same for the 328...
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 11:09 PM   #16
cpie168
Captain
Canada
49
Rep
805
Posts

Drives: 2010 E90 328i 6MT ZSP BSM
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: K/W and GTA, Ontario, Canada

iTrader: (1)

Yes, I use the original boot with those 3 parts and I also have the ZHP knob which is the best thing ever!

The install isn't too hard but I didn't do it myself. I had a mechanic do it and he charged an hour for the job.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2016, 06:10 PM   #17
W37V
Captain
No_Country
84
Rep
837
Posts

Drives: Car
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Location

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpie168 View Post
You don't even need the entire kit, just the shift lever and the bushing and clip. Should come up to about $80. This is what I got and how much I paid:

25 11 7 542 200 : Shift lever $68.76
25 11 1 469 397 : Bushing $6.48
25 11 7 571 899 : Securing Clip $0.89
I picked up bushing and securing clip today. I need to order the shift lever.

Guy at the dealership said that the system told him that he cannot order bushings as they are out of the production. I'm not sure if they are replacing them with something else, but he said I probably got the last one he will have for a while.

What is the difference between 25 11 0434219 and 25 11 7 542 200 shift lever?
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2016, 08:47 AM   #18
W37V
Captain
No_Country
84
Rep
837
Posts

Drives: Car
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Location

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by W37V View Post
I picked up bushing and securing clip today. I need to order the shift lever.

Guy at the dealership said that the system told him that he cannot order bushings as they are out of the production. I'm not sure if they are replacing them with something else, but he said I probably got the last one he will have for a while.

What is the difference between 25 11 0434219 and 25 11 7 542 200 shift lever?
After further research, it appears that the difference between these two parts is the hight - about +/- 1/4 inch from the stick lever.

Part 25110434219 was initially made for 330i and it is slightly lower than stock lever.
Part 25117542200 was available for 328i and it is slightly higher than stock lever.

I don't have any experience with SSK, so which one would be better? Higher, or shorter lever?
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2016, 08:51 AM   #19
cpie168
Captain
Canada
49
Rep
805
Posts

Drives: 2010 E90 328i 6MT ZSP BSM
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: K/W and GTA, Ontario, Canada

iTrader: (1)

There's no way to tell which one will work better without comparing them side by side. The throw could be longer or shorter depending on whether the shorter length is in the handle part or the lever part. In any case, 1/4" shouldn't make a big difference.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:38 PM.




e90post
e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST