E90Post
 


 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Hot hatch



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-17-2011, 12:05 PM   #45
TMP
Colonel
 
TMP's Avatar
 
Drives: M135i
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cheshire

Posts: 2,874
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335diesel View Post
DSG or manual?

TBH the manual box in my mk4 R32 wasn't the best but it wasn't notchy. The looks of the mk5 R32 put me off - that chrome grille was wrong. However I was very tempted when they flogged off the last lot super cheaply.
Tell us about the noise your R32 made? that plus a cheap deal could take me away from my perfect Gti

But then back to earth with a bump, don't thy do about 20mpg if you are luckily?
__________________
M-Lite v2 & Family 5er v2
TMP is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      02-17-2011, 12:08 PM   #46
creepy coupe
Major General
 
creepy coupe's Avatar
 
Drives: M235i
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: UK

Posts: 8,172
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2009 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335diesel View Post
DSG or manual?

TBH the manual box in my mk4 R32 wasn't the best but it wasn't notchy. The looks of the mk5 R32 put me off - that chrome grille was wrong. However I was very tempted when they flogged off the last lot super cheaply.
Manual
creepy coupe is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-17-2011, 12:10 PM   #47
335diesel
Brigadier General
 
335diesel's Avatar
 
Drives: 335d Touring
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Cornwall

Posts: 4,009
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMP View Post
Tell us about the noise your R32 made? that plus a cheap deal could take me away from my perfect Gti

But then back to earth with a bump, don't thy do about 20mpg if you are luckily?
Here you go...

__________________


E91 335d SE Touring

Also Land Rover Puma Defender 110 XS station wagon
335diesel is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      02-17-2011, 12:32 PM   #48
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
 
Drives: Modified Alpine White E92 335i
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Yorkshire

Posts: 4,629
iTrader: (2)

I can say this about the R32.... its much heavier and nigh on untuneable compared to the GTI. Fuel costs are far worse too and for what? A tiny bit more grip? Don't forget its still basically fwd, with the rear wheels taking about 20% of those 250 modest ponies.

An Edition 30 with a map will smash and R32 like I would Natalie Portman before she got pregnant.

Matt
RagingKileak is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      02-17-2011, 12:37 PM   #49
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
 
Drives: Modified Alpine White E92 335i
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Yorkshire

Posts: 4,629
iTrader: (2)

PS the MK6 is basically identical chassis wise, but looks shit imho. The engine is equipped with the stronger engine (like an ED30 but mapped lower) meaning it is tuneable.

My MK5 ED30 now has R32 brakes (like Scooba's S3 ones) which were 350 quid fitted.

Matt
RagingKileak is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      02-17-2011, 12:41 PM   #50
335diesel
Brigadier General
 
335diesel's Avatar
 
Drives: 335d Touring
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Cornwall

Posts: 4,009
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Matt - fair enough but it's Haldex AWD so up to 50/50 front/rear drive. They grip like sh1t to a blanket especially in the wet.

Yes the performance isn't much more but 300bhp is easyish with a Milltek and minor remap and most are 260bhp stock,
__________________


E91 335d SE Touring

Also Land Rover Puma Defender 110 XS station wagon
335diesel is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      02-17-2011, 04:53 PM   #51
TMP
Colonel
 
TMP's Avatar
 
Drives: M135i
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cheshire

Posts: 2,874
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335diesel View Post
Here you go...

Feck me, what a chav video

That one tearing off into the dark night sounded good tho'

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingKileak View Post
I can say this about the R32.... its much heavier and nigh on untuneable compared to the GTI. Fuel costs are far worse too and for what? A tiny bit more grip? Don't forget its still basically fwd, with the rear wheels taking about 20% of those 250 modest ponies.

An Edition 30 with a map will smash and R32 like I would Natalie Portman before she got pregnant.

Matt
yeah, didnt realise the Ed30 was the S3 engine.

Bet Natilie is glad she got preggers then
__________________
M-Lite v2 & Family 5er v2
TMP is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      02-17-2011, 04:59 PM   #52
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
 
Drives: Modified Alpine White E92 335i
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Yorkshire

Posts: 4,629
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMP View Post
Feck me, what a chav video

That one tearing off into the dark night sounded good tho'



yeah, didnt realise the Ed30 was the S3 engine.

Bet Natilie is glad she got preggers then
She won't be once she sees ma babies wee face in a week or two

Matt
RagingKileak is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      02-18-2011, 05:56 AM   #53
m1bjr
LSD - No, you're not seeing things
 
m1bjr's Avatar
 
Drives: RS250 CUP
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Somerset UK

Posts: 3,313
iTrader: (4)

Send a message via MSN to m1bjr
I traded my R26 in Liquid yellow for the 335i.

I do miss the simplicity and ability of it.
Took it to the Ring and to Spa - it was superb.
__________________
m1bjr is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      02-18-2011, 03:04 PM   #54
wrighty
First Lieutenant
 
wrighty's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 135i coupe
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Blackpool

Posts: 332
iTrader: (0)

R26

I have a liquid yellow R26 lux for sale
wrighty is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      02-19-2011, 03:26 AM   #55
Dannyrado
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 335d m sport coupe
Join Date: May 2009
Location: N Wales

Posts: 417
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335diesel View Post
Matt - fair enough but it's Haldex AWD so up to 50/50 front/rear drive. They grip like sh1t to a blanket especially in the wet.

Yes the performance isn't much more but 300bhp is easyish with a Milltek and minor remap and most are 260bhp stock,
Not true mate, they are front wheel drive until the fronts let go, then more power goes to the rear. I put a performance haldex on mine which makes them 50-50 all the time, and it was a lot better. Otherwise they understeer like sh-t for a few secs, then the rear comes in and they understeer even more!!

Agree'd about the miltek, and map, but other than that not tunable at all.
__________________
E46 M3 SMG titanium silver, with grey leather. 335d now gone. 2010 Golf estate bluemotion, spec'd up and not nearly as bad as it sounds. VW T5 kombi, with the life specked out of it.
Dannyrado is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-19-2011, 03:41 AM   #56
NickP
Detailing
 
NickP's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 330d
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Essex,UK

Posts: 420
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrighty View Post
I have a liquid yellow R26 lux for sale
Didn't you only buy this a week ago?
NickP is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      02-19-2011, 05:08 AM   #57
E90jonno
STANCE YOUR RIDE!
 
E90jonno's Avatar
 
Drives: E90
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Bournemouth

Posts: 422
iTrader: (0)

NOT a civic typeR sloooooooooooowwwwwwwwww
E90jonno is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      02-19-2011, 12:48 PM   #58
335diesel
Brigadier General
 
335diesel's Avatar
 
Drives: 335d Touring
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Cornwall

Posts: 4,009
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
It
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannyrado View Post
Not true mate, they are front wheel drive until the fronts let go, then more power goes to the rear. I put a performance haldex on mine which makes them 50-50 all the time, and it was a lot better. Otherwise they understeer like sh-t for a few secs, then the rear comes in and they understeer even more!!

Agree'd about the miltek, and map, but other than that not tunable at all.
Ermm - I said UP TO 50/50 only when needed. I didn't deny they can be up to 100% fwd. As for understeer - yes there was a bit but a gti has more.
__________________


E91 335d SE Touring

Also Land Rover Puma Defender 110 XS station wagon
335diesel is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      02-19-2011, 02:20 PM   #59
willhollin
Major General
 
willhollin's Avatar
 
Drives: VW T5
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Worcestershire

Posts: 9,915
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Golf GTi looks a good bet.

130i would be my choice though.
__________________
willhollin is offline   England
0
Reply With Quote
      02-19-2011, 03:08 PM   #60
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
 
dxb335d's Avatar
 
Drives: E46 M3 CS
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: ''Fandango Towers''

Posts: 29,278
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
I do love the golf! But alot of chav's do own then!! See one and usually it's being driven like a tosser by a tosser!
__________________
M3 gone .... But I now have a M3 CS
dxb335d is offline   England
0
Reply With Quote
      02-19-2011, 04:50 PM   #61
kdiz
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: BMW 335i SE
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Slough, London UK

Posts: 363
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
I don't like the newer GTIs not because of the car itself but wow are they are common. Might just be my area but they are absolutly everywhere. I hear that R26 is amazing but I don't know anything about it other than it's 'ring time.
kdiz is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      02-19-2011, 05:14 PM   #62
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Palmnuts's Avatar
 
Drives: Merc SLS AMG & ML63 AMG
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Loughborough, UK

Posts: 1,950
iTrader: (0)

All this talk of Golfs ...Yeah, they very good and nicely made but as a drivers car the R26 Megane is much much better. It's easily the best driving FWD car I've experienced as the suspension and diff work exceptionally well to drag it through bends.

One of my mates has one in liquid yellow and it was very impressive round the ring last year...not the most tuneable car but the handling more than makes up for it. I think his very nice example has been put up for sale today at a price well below your budget!
Palmnuts is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      02-19-2011, 05:48 PM   #63
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
 
Drives: Modified Alpine White E92 335i
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Yorkshire

Posts: 4,629
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmnuts View Post
All this talk of Golfs ...Yeah, they very good and nicely made but as a drivers car the R26 Megane is much much better. It's easily the best driving FWD car I've experienced as the suspension and diff work exceptionally well to drag it through bends.

One of my mates has one in liquid yellow and it was very impressive round the ring last year...not the most tuneable car but the handling more than makes up for it. I think his very nice example has been put up for sale today at a price well below your budget!
I agree as stock cars, but with the diff my Golf is much better. I've owned both and a nicely modded focus ST and Golf is a hands down winner.

Matt
RagingKileak is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      02-19-2011, 06:02 PM   #64
marlie
Captain
 
marlie's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW X6 35D + M135i
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Uk - Essex

Posts: 778
iTrader: (1)

Send a message via MSN to marlie
Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingKileak View Post
I agree as stock cars, but with the diff my Golf is much better. I've owned both and a nicely modded focus ST and Golf is a hands down winner.

Matt
Matt how much was your diff for your car?
__________________
marlie is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      02-19-2011, 06:35 PM   #65
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Palmnuts's Avatar
 
Drives: Merc SLS AMG & ML63 AMG
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Loughborough, UK

Posts: 1,950
iTrader: (0)

Your golf isn't 13k Matt....for that budget or less, the R26 is the better car. Now stop arguing with me
Palmnuts is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      02-19-2011, 06:38 PM   #66
willhollin
Major General
 
willhollin's Avatar
 
Drives: VW T5
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Worcestershire

Posts: 9,915
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
The Megane looks cheap inside and out.
__________________
willhollin is offline   England
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:30 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST