E90Post

European Auto Source

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > JaySTee's Tinkering Thread...

02-17-2011, 11:46 AM   #1
JaySTee
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: E91 320d SE

JaySTee's Tinkering Thread...

I haven't had a chance to get under the bonnet properly yet since I bought the car and having read about a few areas that are worth checking over on the 2.0d engine I wanted to have a poke around. Today I had a day off so thought i'd get stuck in...

Before...

Plastic out the way...

Air filter was a bit grubby, not sure if it was enough to restrict air flow but I changed it anyway. It had done 15k miles (according to my service book) and think BMW recommend to change them at 60k which seems a long interval...

Thought I have a look at the MAF whilst I was in there...

The circular part on the top in this pic came off and I gave it a clean with some CRC MAF cleaner I got on ebay. Not sure if it was actually dirty but there was a film of oil inside the plastic housing so may have been on the sensor also...

Pulled the EGR valve off as I'd seen pics of some that were really clogged, was disappointed to see it was pretty clean!

Cleaned it up anyway...

I also checked the crank breather and it seems I have the later type that doesn't clog which is good.

I want to check the 'stats at some point but I think they are ok as I get a stable 85 deg C ish on a run at the mo. I guess maybe it should be 90 deg C but at 58 for the main stat and housing I'll leave it for a bit...

Also going to try and get rid of the clutch delay valve at some stage to improve clutch feel...

Put it all back together and thank f*ck it still works will see if I get any better mpg's but probably not as it seems 40ish is as good as it gets on a pre efficient dynamics car...

Just remembered I have already changed the rear lights for darklines, was lucky enough to find a used pair at a nice price - the seller even swapped them out for me

When/if I do other stuff I'll update this thread instead of starting a new one...

Last edited by JaySTee; 11-03-2011 at 06:10 AM.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2011, 12:38 PM   #2
DavS1
Major
Scotland
Rep

Drives: Emfree

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Good way of getting to know your new car
      02-17-2011, 12:43 PM   #3
justa
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: 2006 320d M Sport

nice work - wouldn't mind attempting this my self - is there an idiots guide anywhere ?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2011, 01:12 PM   #4
Dr Dave
Zummerzet Zyder Drinker!
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: '06 330D Le Mans Blue

Garage List
Well done on getting your hands dirty and sorting these issues out
      02-17-2011, 01:19 PM   #5
Walesy
24 cans in a case, 24 hours in a day Hmmmmmm
Scotland
Rep

Drives: BMW 320d

Gonna get my EGR and MAF off at some point to give them a clean. What did you clean the EGr with bud, brake cleaner?
      02-17-2011, 01:25 PM   #6
Dr Dave
Zummerzet Zyder Drinker!
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Brake cleaner would be fine for the EGR valve but be VERY CAREFUL with the MAF sensor.

Never had much luck myself with MAF cleaning, always had to replace with exchange unit to restore 100% performance.
      02-17-2011, 02:02 PM   #7
Walesy
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Dave View Post
Brake cleaner would be fine for the EGR valve but be VERY CAREFUL with the MAF sensor.

Never had much luck myself with MAF cleaning, always had to replace with exchange unit to restore 100% performance.
Cool, cheers!!

Mine is approx 4 years old now, with 40K, is it worth doing?
      02-17-2011, 02:12 PM   #8
DavS1
Major
Scotland
Rep

Drives: Emfree

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Yea i'll 2nd MAF cleaning, infact, I'd be tempted to leave it alone or just replace if it's causing an issue.

Loads of people fit K&N type cone filters or even just panel filters which have an oily coating, and this is the biggest MAF killer! Things like carb cleaner are just too harsh for it, its a VERY fine instrument.
      02-17-2011, 02:54 PM   #9
Walesy
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavS1 View Post
Yea i'll 2nd MAF cleaning, infact, I'd be tempted to leave it alone or just replace if it's causing an issue.

Loads of people fit K&N type cone filters or even just panel filters which have an oily coating, and this is the biggest MAF killer! Things like carb cleaner are just too harsh for it, its a VERY fine instrument.
I will just leave it, I cleaned my last cars MAF with a cotton bud and some brake cleaner and it seemed to work ok. But if it does goes tits up I would imagine the chao at the BMW parts centre will gladly remove alot of your hard earned.
      02-17-2011, 03:37 PM   #10
JaySTee
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Yeah, I was in two minds whether to do anything with the MAF as there were no symptoms of there being a fault with it. However since I had already bought the CRC spray and had the MAF in my hand I gave it a good spray down anyway. I didn't try and rub it with anything just gave it a spray. SO if it gives up in the next few thousand miles I'll know it was a bad idea!!
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2011, 03:40 PM   #11
JaySTee
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by justa View Post
nice work - wouldn't mind attempting this my self - is there an idiots guide anywhere ?
There is a Haynes manual for the E90 but they're no where near as detailed as they used to be. Searching on here and google will find you "how to's" for most things...
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 07:34 AM   #12
JaySTee
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Found some 17" wheels on ebay with non run flat tyres at a good price so I went to see them last night and did a deal. May try some 18's sometime but thought they may look odd on an SE with std suspension. Also I wanted to retain the ride quality.

Sorry about the poor pics but I will get some decent ones when it is clean on a sunny day...

Original 16's in the snow...

17's in a car park...

View from rear showing (Chavy) Blacklines...
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 10:11 AM   #13
JaySTee
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

I have now got rid of the clutch delay valve (CDV). Only had a short drive since but the clutch now feels like a proper clutch I'm sure it felt a bit lighter as well but I might be imagining it...

Jacked up car and removed front and centre under-tray to reveal CDV...

Clamped flexi clutch pipe to prevent fluid loss, took out spring clips and removed CDV. You can see how narrow the valve is...

Removed gubbins in valve by pushing gently from narrow end with a 4mm punch...

Valve now clear...

Valve fitted back up - Notice the white rings have disappeared, is this so BMW can see if it has been tampered with? I may have been able to get away with discarding the valve completely but I decided to keep it looking as it should...

Clutch felt like it was working ok with no bleeding but I bled it anyway just to be sure using an Easi-bleed kit. Can anyone tell me the make, model and year of car from the wheel i'm using ???

Under-trays back on and lowered to floor to test drive. JOB DONE
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2011, 01:47 AM   #14
Dr Dave
Zummerzet Zyder Drinker!
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
VW Beetle, 1971
      03-04-2011, 05:09 AM   #15
JaySTee
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Nearly VW Type 1 (Beetle) 1966/1967. Before 1966 they were solid with no slots and had riveted on hub cap clips. After 1967 they went from 5 to 4 stud rims - although the 1967 1500cc models with front disc brakes had the 4 stud rims

Last edited by JaySTee; 03-04-2011 at 05:15 AM.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2011, 03:04 PM   #16
mr_milo
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011 E93 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySTee View Post
Valve fitted back up - Notice the white rings have disappeared, is this so BMW can see if it has been tampered with? I may have been able to get away with discarding the valve completely but I decided to keep it looking as it should...
Your joking right? Is that a different valve? How the heck would the white rings just disappear? Did they come off with some cleaner or just vanish once you pushed the plug out?

This seems very strange. Thanks for the info.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2011, 05:50 AM   #17
JaySTee
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

No same valve, paint was probably removed by the brake/clutch fluid that spilt on it and me cleaning it with a rag...
      11-03-2011, 06:40 AM   #18
JaySTee
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Thermostats replaced

This last weekend I finally got round to replacing the main and EGR thermostats. The temp in the hidden menu was reading a bit low but not loads and would never get to 90 even on long journeys.

Unfortunately I only took a couple of crappy pics of the proceedure but it wasn't too tricky.

According to the Haynes manual you should drain the whole system but that entailed quite a bit of extra work so I ignored it. The plastic engine covers were removed as well as the MAFF to turbo inlet air pipe and Intercooler to EGR valve pipe. Then the feed pipe from the expansion tank was disconnected and coolant drained into a bucket. The other relevent coolant pipes were disconnected and as much cooland drained as possible.

To replace the EGR 'stat it looked simplest to remove the EGR radiator as the 'stat bolts were obscured with it in situ. This is pretty straight forward and then is just a case of bolting on the new EGR 'stat in place of the old one.

On removing the main 'stat there was obviously still some excess coolant in the block, some of which was caught and some spilt! The new 'stat was then bolted in place of the old.

(Old pic - I didn't remove all the plastic and other stuff as in this pic, just the front sections.)

All the relevent pipework was then reconnected and the cooling system refilled and much air bled from it as possible before running up the engine. After the engine was run up the coolant was topped up again to the correct level.

After this I have found the engine to warm up significantly faster and gets to a stable 90 deg C. Hopefully this will lead to slightly better fuel consumption

Last edited by JaySTee; 11-03-2011 at 06:55 AM.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 07:09 AM   #19
foxy-stoat
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 320 E91

Nice one chap!

I regually see below 80 degrees from my hidden gauge so all this is next on my list to do seeing as I already had it re-mapped.

Any effect of mpg figures or is it too early to tell?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 08:14 AM   #20
JaySTee
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Too early to tell as I have only used 1/4 tank since but will keep an eye on it...

Parts came to about 70 plus 19 for two 1.5 litre bottles of BMW coolant of which I used about 2 litres (4 litres mixed 50/50)
      11-03-2011, 02:30 PM   #21
John320d
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: BMW 320d E93

is it possible to receive coolant water temps with a business satnav ? I am quite happy with my mpg . a curiousity question thats all, cheers
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 04:22 PM   #22
JaySTee
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

I'm not sure but I think the only way to get the water temp is through the OBC hidden menu. If you search on here there are instructions somewhere on how to access the menu and the temp display.

Edit. Found the link to the how to... http://e90.wetpaint.com/page/BC+hidden+menus?t=anon

Last edited by JaySTee; 11-03-2011 at 04:29 PM.
Appreciate 0