E90Post

Lux Angel Eyes

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Fitting 2008 Pre-LCI Sport Leather into my 2009 LCI (How-To-Guide)

02-25-2016, 09:29 AM   #1
CapnCook
Gibbon
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 LCI 320d Touring

Fitting 2008 Pre-LCI Sport Leather into my 2009 LCI (How-To-Guide)

Hi guys,

Was browsing eBay a few weeks back and saw a bargain set of E91 Leather Sport seats locally. I made a very cheeky offer half expecting it to be rejected... and the seller accepted. I collected them the following day and fitted them shortly after.

The seats were from a 2008 Pre-LCI E91 Sport, however my car is a 2009 LCI Sport.

I searched all over the internet for advice on fitting these into my car, and saw a whole host of semi-helpful threads with various snippets of information dotted all over the place. So I thought for anyone else doing this swap, I would share my findings.

Pre-LCI and LCI seats are interchangable, I fitted the whole interior myself in a couple of hours with minimal tools, all went perfectly.

The main difference between the Pre and the LCI seats however (other than nicer stitching etc) is that the LCI seats have 'Active Head Rests' where the head rest itself has some sort of safety mechanism that 'deploys' on a large impact. The Pre-LCI seats do not have this feature.

This means that fitting LCI seats in a Pre-LCI car is simply a case of not plugging in this extra cable (because your loom does not have anything to plug into it).

Fitting the older Pre-LCI seats into a newer LCI car however requires the Active Head Rest option coding out, and a few other things.

After fitting the seats, I had a 'RESTRAINT SYSTEM MALFUNCTION' warning on my I-Drive screen.

I bought a D-CAN coding cable from an eBay seller called bmcable-net for 34.99. (It also has the switch to convert to K-CAN but this is irrelevant to this process). It was advertised as a 'One-Click Installer' and works with all versions of Windows, including 10.

Once I had the software up and running, I had to code out the following from the Airbag ECU:

AKS_LINKS_1_CD : nicht_aktiv (Left Side Active Head Rest)

AKS_RECHTS_1_CD : nicht_aktiv (Right Side Active Head Rest)

This cleared two of the errors from INPA, but I still had one error remaining which was showing as SBE 0x93C1

After some digging on on another forum, I found out that this was the Passenger seat occupancy sensor. It seems that this is a very common error when switching seats that are not like-for-like.

The occupancy sensor (obviously) detects if a passenger is sat in the car, so in the event of a crash, the passenger airbags will be deployed, or if there is nobody in the passenger seat, the passenger airbags won't deploy.

Coding out the passenger occupancy sensor just means that in the event of a crash, the passenger airbags will be deployed, regardless if someone is sat there or not.

Before you start coding you need to actually unplug the occupancy sensor from the rear of the passenger seat, very easy to do, no tools required:

Next I made the following changes to the Airbag ECU with NCSEXPERT:

SBE1_1_CD : nicht_aktiv (Occupany Sensor)

This alone did not clear the airbag light for me, but I read on the 1 series forum that you (may) also need to disable the SBR Sensor, which is the Seat Belt Reminder sensor, since this also uses the occupancy sensor to detect if the passenger seat is in use.

I made the following changes to the Airbag ECU with NCSEXPERT:

SBR_SENSOR_BEIFAHRER_CD : nicht_aktiv (Passenger Side Seat Belt Reminder)

I cleared the fault codes with INPA, and all was good.

This is the only pic I have of the seats fitted unfortunately... will upload more later

Hopefully this will be of use to someone doing the same swap!

Last edited by CapnCook; 03-08-2016 at 11:42 AM.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 09:47 AM   #2
asha
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335d coupe

Would this method work on a coupe as you have the seat belt handover arm. So instance if you unplug and code out the seat occupancy sensor then it wouldn't detect a person therefore wouldn't pass you the belt is that correct?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2016, 11:27 AM   #3
CapnCook
Gibbon
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 LCI 320d Touring

Sorry for the late reply, I can't help you on that one unfortunately, I'm not clued up enough of the differences between the coupe and the saloon sorry.
      10-17-2016, 09:53 PM   #4
mr_meah
Rep
Drives: BMW 318d E90 LCI

Hi

I did the same exact swap like you on my 58 plate LCI model and have encountered the problem some are having due to the head restraint system that are not on the pre LCI seats. I can see that you have successfully fitted pre LCI seats into your LCI car and was wondering whether you can code my car to make this airbag light go away. I'll come to you and pay you of course. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 01:39 AM   #5
Dsport
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E91 320d Lci

Ive messed around with a few leather trims/ seats on Bmw, I bought an E91 lci with Alcantara, I could find a few leather trims that were Pre Lci so the way I was going to do it was to Strip the headrests and swop the bases,

Then remove the wiring by taking off the seat backing and inclipping the wiring,

In the end an Lci trim came up so didn't have to do it, but it's just another way round of making them work,
(Pics are from a black to red skin swop I did)
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 07:11 AM   #6
mr_meah
Rep

How did you manage to take out the Base of the head rest from the covers?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 07:28 AM   #7
JJ0063
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90

I also just swapped the leather cover over when I had my LCI.. didn't take long at all!
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 07:29 AM   #8
mr_meah
Rep

I am struggling to take the head rest out of the seat, do I need to just pull it out with force or is it screwed in?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 07:32 AM   #9
McPikie
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E91 320d Msport

I'm going the opposite way this week, swapping my pre-lci leather out for an LCI alcantara trim. I know I can just leave the grey headrest wire loose, but hoping that it is plug n play for the electric bolster.

Also, does anyone know if I will have to recode the airbags in, or will they be fine??
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 07:51 AM   #10
Dsport
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_meah View Post
How did you manage to take out the Base of the head rest from the covers?
There is a seem between the bars put a trim tool down the seem starting at one end and work it out, it will come then do the other side

Quote:
I am struggling to take the head rest out of the seat, do I need to just pull it out with force or is it screwed in?
There is an aduster and a none adjuster on the seat on the one adjuster get a flat screw driver and flip the top off, under there is a clip metal with white plastic on pull it out and it will let you pull the hreadrest all the way out, sometime it will come without taking it out depends how big a tug you want to give it but by removing the clip let's it come out easier
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 08:09 AM   #11
JJ0063
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
I honestly can't remember. I remember I had to take the backs off the seats to do it.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 10:00 AM   #12
mr_meah
Rep

So I managed to take out the headrest but how do I take it out of the cover?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 03:43 PM   #13
Dsport
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
So I managed to take out the headrest but how do I take it out of the cover?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsport View Post
There is a seem between the bars put a trim tool down the seem starting at one end and work it out, it will come then do the other side
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2016, 06:52 AM   #14
dest
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 330d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPikie View Post
I'm going the opposite way this week, swapping my pre-lci leather out for an LCI alcantara trim. I know I can just leave the grey headrest wire loose, but hoping that it is plug n play for the electric bolster.

Also, does anyone know if I will have to recode the airbags in, or will they be fine??
I did the same, pre LCI alcantara to LCI leather in a pre LCI car.
Everything was plug and play, however the side bolsters are not working.
The pre LCI seats had them too, so now it's a case of working out which pins to swap, or give the pump a 12v from another location.
I'm yet to find time to look into it
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2016, 07:46 AM   #15
McPikie
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dest View Post
I did the same, pre LCI alcantara to LCI leather in a pre LCI car.
Everything was plug and play, however the side bolsters are not working.
The pre LCI seats had them too, so now it's a case of working out which pins to swap, or give the pump a 12v from another location.
I'm yet to find time to look into it
Ahhhhh, thats what I was worried about, so I need to trace which wire is the bolster feed on the LCI seats before putting them in
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2016, 08:37 AM   #16
dest
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Yes, annoyingly something I didn't get a chance to do when I swapped mine as the buyer had them as soon as they were removed. If you were able to work out which pins need swapping in the yellow connector it would excellent! It should be pretty straight forward just take the back of the seat off and trace the wires from the pump to the plug
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2016, 01:56 PM   #17
McPikie
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Yes, annoyingly something I didn't get a chance to do when I swapped mine as the buyer had them as soon as they were removed. If you were able to work out which pins need swapping in the yellow connector it would excellent! It should be pretty straight forward just take the back of the seat off and trace the wires from the pump to the plug
Think someone else had done it on here with leather but full elec with heated, so may be able to work it out from their diagrams
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2016, 03:28 PM   #18
dest
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

I searched a while ago for pin outs but couldn't find anything. If someone has since documented it that would be great to find. I'll have another hunt when I'm home
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2016, 05:45 PM   #19
McPikie
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I searched a while ago for pin outs but couldn't find anything. If someone has since documented it that would be great to find. I'll have another hunt when I'm home
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=833494

There may be an answer in here, but I have had too many beers to read it properly lol
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2016, 09:43 AM   #20
mr_meah
Rep

Ok so I have installed pre LCI leather seats into my LCI car; have switched over the active head restraints to get rid of the airbag light. Now I'm having another error which is "9400 MRS incorrect installation, seat occupancy mat." What do I need to do get this fixed?

Last edited by mr_meah; 10-21-2016 at 10:03 AM.
Appreciate 0