E90Post

Rohana Wheels

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > 335 6MT won't go into reverse. Ideas?

02-10-2013, 01:52 PM   #1
BMWfan07
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335i M-Sport w/PPK

335 6MT won't go into reverse. Ideas?

This morning I tried to back out of my driveway but could not get the shifter to go into the reverse position on my 335i with 6MT. I tried several times, but it just wont go. I can get it into every other gear, but not reverse. Anybody ever heard of this and have any ideas what the hell is going on??

It's the weekend and I have to work tomorrow, I just have one car. I am really dreading calling the closest dealership in the morning because it's an hour away and they wont give you a free loaner car unless you bought the car from them, which I did not.

2011 E92 335i LCI 6MT, M-sport pkg, Black Sapphire, Nav, Comfort Access, 19" Style 230s, Harmon Kardon, Bluetooth, M3 Lip Spoiler, GPT 7500k Fogs, BMW PERFORMANCE POWER KIT.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2013, 02:22 PM   #2
Beemw335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

Where I live it gets really cold, the transmission could be hard to get into reverse. Do you have a indoor garage you could put it in?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2013, 02:48 PM   #3
CJ421
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335i

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [4.66]
Put it in neutral, push the car a few feet and then try.
      02-10-2013, 02:52 PM   #4
iLDs335i
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i coupe

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.50]
Have you tired letting the car run for a couple mins? i had the problem as well and letting the car run helped me.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2013, 03:22 PM   #5
BMWfan07
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemw335 View Post
Where I live it gets really cold, the transmission could be hard to get into reverse. Do you have a indoor garage you could put it in?
*I wondered about the temperature as a possibile cause, it was about 27 degrees this morning, but we have had many days like this or colder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ421 View Post
Put it in neutral, push the car a few feet and then try.
*I just tried moving the car in neutral then trying it again, no luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLDs335i View Post
Have you tired letting the car run for a couple mins? i had the problem as well and letting the car run helped me.
*This was the first thing I tried this morning, I let the car run for several minutes.

I can get the car in all gears and can move it forward in first gear. My wife might have to help me push it back out of the driveway to go to work. She is going to love that!

2011 E92 335i LCI 6MT, M-sport pkg, Black Sapphire, Nav, Comfort Access, 19" Style 230s, Harmon Kardon, Bluetooth, M3 Lip Spoiler, GPT 7500k Fogs, BMW PERFORMANCE POWER KIT.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2013, 06:29 PM   #6
ziominix
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive Coupe

Try going from first then quickly to reverse a few times.
      02-10-2013, 07:14 PM   #7
Suds
EX One Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Audi S4, 2008 Vette 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWfan07 View Post
This morning I tried to back out of my driveway but could not get the shifter to go into the reverse position on my 335i with 6MT. I tried several times, but it just wont go. I can get it into every other gear, but not reverse. Anybody ever heard of this and have any ideas what the hell is going on??

It's the weekend and I have to work tomorrow, I just have one car. I am really dreading calling the closest dealership in the morning because it's an hour away and they wont give you a free loaner car unless you bought the car from them, which I did not.
Have you tried bumping forward in first, I had to do this with my 135, when it was new.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2013, 08:39 AM   #8
MyFten
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 F10 M5

I hope this is not the same thing that my friend had with his manual trans.
He was complaining that his revers would " just pop out " sometimes, and at one point he could not get it in at all....
We had to replace tranny, ( out of warranty )
We still have the " broken " tranny
It turns out that the levers ( push rods ) are connected with pins that come out on their own ???? There is apparently someone in Florida that fixes that. But it was cheaper to put a used one on ( for him anyway )
I was talking to BMW master mechanic about that and he confirmed that yes indeed those things are a pain.... for Getrag and BMW + the worst thing is that we tried to take one apart and they are not serviceable ????
I am mechanically inclined and I tried to take this thing apart to fix it but..... no could do ( for me anyway )

Hope that you just have the climate issue with yours.
Good luck
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 09:10 PM   #9
BMWfan07
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by myE70 View Post
I hope this is not the same thing that my friend had with his manual trans.
He was complaining that his revers would " just pop out " sometimes, and at one point he could not get it in at all....
We had to replace tranny, ( out of warranty )
We still have the " broken " tranny
It turns out that the levers ( push rods ) are connected with pins that come out on their own ???? There is apparently someone in Florida that fixes that. But it was cheaper to put a used one on ( for him anyway )
I was talking to BMW master mechanic about that and he confirmed that yes indeed those things are a pain.... for Getrag and BMW + the worst thing is that we tried to take one apart and they are not serviceable ????
I am mechanically inclined and I tried to take this thing apart to fix it but..... no could do ( for me anyway )

Hope that you just have the climate issue with yours.
Good luck
I think I have the same or similar problem as your friend. My car went into the Dealership today, they called me about 3 hours ago to tell me they will be putting in a new transmission as soon as it arrives next monday. They were puzzled by the tranny not going into reverse, they inspected it from inside and under the car, they contacted BMW and were told to replace the tranny with a new one. This just happened out of the blue , no warning, no prior issues with my transmission, just will not shift into reverse now. I am just so glad this happened under warranty. I cannot imagine how much something like this would cost outside of a warranty.

What year was your friend's car?

Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 09:38 PM   #10
MyFten
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Well, as for the cost of the tranny, I know this and that.
Our problem was that his car was out of warranty, and we had to go used since new one is $7000 ( more or less )
For the used one we paid $2700 ( here in Canada ) and it came from some place in Michigan.
So there that is what I know about pricing.
I was warned by my friend ( that is the master mechanic ) at the BMW dealership, that installing the clutch might me tricky, but I have not found it, anything but that, it went in like butter, no issues whatsoever.
But I know that the time to get it done from start to finish ( by the book from the dealer ) is about 6 hours. If it is going to take them longer.... ha ha someone did the clutch wrong. Apparently this ( clutch assembly ) is the most complicated thing when you reinstall the tranny.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 10:32 PM   #11
DJJimGreen
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i

I remember when the clutch on my Evo was completely worn out, I had to turn the car off to throw it into reverse. It may be just a bad clutch..
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 06:14 AM   #12
BMWfan07
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJJimGreen View Post
I remember when the clutch on my Evo was completely worn out, I had to turn the car off to throw it into reverse. It may be just a bad clutch..
I assume the dealership will inspect the clutch when they pull the transmission.

I am not an expert here, but the car drove fine from take off and shifted fine through the 6 forward gears. Wouldn't a bad clutch affect launching and all shifting?

Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 06:33 AM   #13
BMWfan07
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well, as for the cost of the tranny, I know this and that.
Our problem was that his car was out of warranty, and we had to go used since new one is $7000 ( more or less )
For the used one we paid $2700 ( here in Canada ) and it came from some place in Michigan.
So there that is what I know about pricing.
I was warned by my friend ( that is the master mechanic ) at the BMW dealership, that installing the clutch might me tricky, but I have not found it, anything but that, it went in like butter, no issues whatsoever.
But I know that the time to get it done from start to finish ( by the book from the dealer ) is about 6 hours. If it is going to take them longer.... ha ha someone did the clutch wrong. Apparently this ( clutch assembly ) is the most complicated thing when you reinstall the tranny.
Holy crap! $7000 for a new tranny? I would guess at least another $1000 in labor, and maybe even more with other parts necessary for installing the new tranny.

Appreciate 0
      02-16-2013, 02:21 AM   #14
ziominix
Private First Class
Rep

Expensive to own out of warranty? No.... surely not these cars.
      02-17-2013, 11:46 PM   #15
MyFten
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Holy crap! $7000 for a new tranny? I would guess at least another $1000 in labor, and maybe even more with other parts necessary for installing the new tranny.
Well, yes there is more, Pretty much All of the hardware (bell housing fasteners ) had to be changed, because BMW is using light alloy ( aluminum ) bolts. That was not the biggest dollar item, but torquing them was a biatch, since we had to use long extensions to get it mated. So we used torque values and common sense. We tried to line everything to the exact spots as it was from factory, simply to make sure that driveshaft would line up exactly ( like factory ).
Four nuts that held the exhaust at the downpipe, did not survive, so new ones had to be reinstalled, again not a big deal just a bit of more labor.
What else, oh yeah
Bleeding the clutch slave cylinder... ( we had to do it... long story )
must say not the best design I have seen.
Once you do it it is all easy, but I think that the whole idea behind it, is just silly. Whoever approved this design should be one doing the bleeding of BMW clutches for the rest his afterlife eternity ( just a thought ) totally over engineered.
I'm sure that I have missed something.
I'm eager to read finally how is this write up going to end up....
Is he getting a new tranny or.....?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 05:02 PM   #16
DJJimGreen
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i

Quote:
I assume the dealership will inspect the clutch when they pull the transmission.

I am not an expert here, but the car drove fine from take off and shifted fine through the 6 forward gears. Wouldn't a bad clutch affect launching and all shifting?
It would... but not to the same extent in each gear. It was definitely harder to get into gears than normal, but reverse was the only gear that was deemed completely useless. Haha
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 07:34 PM   #17
BMWfan07
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well, yes there is more, Pretty much All of the hardware (bell housing fasteners ) had to be changed, because BMW is using light alloy ( aluminum ) bolts. That was not the biggest dollar item, but torquing them was a biatch, since we had to use long extensions to get it mated. So we used torque values and common sense. We tried to line everything to the exact spots as it was from factory, simply to make sure that driveshaft would line up exactly ( like factory ).
Four nuts that held the exhaust at the downpipe, did not survive, so new ones had to be reinstalled, again not a big deal just a bit of more labor.
What else, oh yeah
Bleeding the clutch slave cylinder... ( we had to do it... long story )
must say not the best design I have seen.
Once you do it it is all easy, but I think that the whole idea behind it, is just silly. Whoever approved this design should be one doing the bleeding of BMW clutches for the rest his afterlife eternity ( just a thought ) totally over engineered.
I'm sure that I have missed something.
I'm eager to read finally how is this write up going to end up....
Is he getting a new tranny or.....?
UPDATE:
New transmission installed. All seems to be working fine, hope it stays that way. The invoice states they even found metal flakes when they drained the transmission fluid.

Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 10:39 PM   #18
ziominix
Private First Class
Rep

Did you money shift it the night before or what? Or did someone else drive your car? Seems odd for a tranny to just grenade itself.
      02-21-2013, 12:45 AM   #19
BMWfan07
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziominix View Post
Did you money shift it the night before or what? Or did someone else drive your car? Seems odd for a tranny to just grenade itself.
No money shifting here. Most likely the metal flakes were from trying to get it into reverse when it would not go into gear. It would grind a bit if you forced it, and the invoice states the techs tried several ways to get it in reverse and it states the tranny made a grinding sound. It just stopped suddenly going into reverse and I believe my car had the same problem as MYE70's friend who posted here recently about pins popping out. Anyway, I was just looking over the invoice, and it says "RMFD 6-speed transmission" and then the part number. I am guessing this means they installed a remanufactured tranny and not a new one, they had used the word new with me on the phone. I will have to question them on this, it just concerns me a bit about future when the car is out of warranty. I know this was an expensive repair.

Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 01:40 AM   #20
Brian_TII
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 e90 330i 6spd

According to Real OEM / Tischer (part #23007599342) it looks like the transmission is $2900 with a list price of 3600. Not 7000, at least not here in the US. Doesn't seem <too> bad to me. Also I wouldn't be too worried about it happening again out of warranty. Generally manual transmissions are pretty solid, one of the reasons why I generally prefer them. The automatic for the same car is about 1200 - 1500 more... DCT is $7000+ :-)
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 12:49 PM   #21
Andrewe92
enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 lci 335xi

Garage List
This isn't gunna help but... That's weird with the loaner thing wow
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 12:16 PM   #22
srd5948
'11 BMW 335i M Sports 6 Speed Manual
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 BMW 335i with M Sports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_TII
According to Real OEM / Tischer (part #23007599342) it looks like the transmission is $2900 with a list price of 3600. Not 7000, at least not here in the US. Doesn't seem <too> bad to me. Also I wouldn't be too worried about it happening again out of warranty. Generally manual transmissions are pretty solid, one of the reasons why I generally prefer them. The automatic for the same car is about 1200 - 1500 more... DCT is $7000+ :-)
Have they found the reason for this issue.