E90Post

Lux Angel Eyes

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Top Gear reminder!!

02-21-2011, 04:21 AM   #23
KadeSdad
Colonel

Drives: E350 CDI Sport Cabriolet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed335d View Post
What's the film we need to watch? The Informer?
Thats the one mate, just Google Images "The Informer Amber"
      02-21-2011, 04:21 AM   #24
bounty78
Mike

Drives: Carbon black 528i M Sport LCI

Garage List
Amber Heard...nice!!! She can be my cowgirl anyday..
bounty78 is offline   Malaysia
      02-21-2011, 05:45 AM   #25
RagingKileak
Brigadier General

Drives: Modified Alpine White E92 335i

She was fit, but am I the only one thinking she is the least interesting guest of all time?

I mean really... She was dumb and about as interesting as a shoe. Drive Angry (I have a copy as I am on the board of judges for the wiemann-hersch bogey awards committee) is easily the worst film I've seen this year. It's fucking awful - that's a sneak preview of whether it's getting a bogey or not.

Matt
RagingKileak is offline   United Kingdom
      02-21-2011, 05:50 AM   #26
335diesel
Brigadier General

Drives: 335d Touring

Garage List
And does she really like cars and guns or was it just for "the blokes?"

Hmm... definitely attractive though.

E91 335d SE Touring

Also Land Rover Puma Defender 110 XS station wagon
335diesel is offline   United Kingdom
      02-21-2011, 05:54 AM   #27
KadeSdad
Colonel

Drives: E350 CDI Sport Cabriolet

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingKileak View Post
She was fit, but am I the only one thinking she is the least interesting guest of all time?

I mean really... She was dumb and about as interesting as a shoe. Drive Angry (I have a copy as I am on the board of judges for the wiemann-hersch bogey awards committee) is easily the worst film I've seen this year. It's fucking awful - that's a sneak preview of whether it's getting a bogey or not.

Matt
Lets face it she saved a shit show. We all know the M3 is better then the Audi (nothing new there) and who gives a flying fu*k about turning a combine into a friggin snow plough!
      02-21-2011, 06:11 AM   #28
RagingKileak
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by KadeSdad View Post
Lets face it she saved a shit show. We all know the M3 is better then the Audi (nothing new there) and who gives a flying fu*k about turning a combine into a friggin snow plough!
I disagree, she was part of a shit show.

Matt
      02-21-2011, 06:26 AM   #29
creepy coupe
Major General

Drives: M235i

Garage List
2009 335i  [0.00]
I was 30 mins late watching the show, so fortunately able to fast forward the dross, namely Amber dull as a turd, she had the personality of an ironing board.

Last edited by creepy coupe; 02-21-2011 at 06:32 AM.
      02-21-2011, 06:27 AM   #30
hmi1750
Major

Drives: M135i

Was a crap show! Boring, waste of time! Snow plough jokes are over done and very predictable.

They should have had only the last part of the snow plough part, to show it can work and had some banter etc.

The rest of it was just them having fun in the M3 and RS5, which have both been tested extensively now!
      02-21-2011, 07:00 AM   #31
RagingKileak
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmi1750 View Post
Was a crap show! Boring, waste of time! Snow plough jokes are over done and very predictable.

They should have had only the last part of the snow plough part, to show it can work and had some banter etc.

The rest of it was just them having fun in the M3 and RS5, which have both been tested extensively now!
I did enjoy the M3/RS5 to some extent. They raced them, they both went on the track etc etc, so it was in a way at least trying to be a competent driving related article. Also, Clarkson captured my feelings about the M3 competition pack perfectly - I'm sure if he was allowed to say 'what a load of bollocks' he would have.

All that said, I think my feelings on Amber are clear, but to reiterate WORST GUEST EVER. If I want to see fit birds, I'll watch one of StevieHoops movies. I don't need to hear their dumbass opinions or watch Clarkson drool over them. Plus, with no clothes on she would be far more interesting.

The snowplough? Had some flashes of comraderie (think of the Africa or especially Vietnam special) which I always love, but it was massively overshadowed by the idiotic and unfunny set pieces (bloke on fire, crashing into a house etc)

Matt
      02-21-2011, 07:10 AM   #32
sheps
Colonel

Drives: C63 AMG

Send a message via MSN to sheps
Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingKileak View Post
The snowplough? Had some flashes of comraderie (think of the Africa or especially Vietnam special) which I always love, but it was massively overshadowed by the idiotic and unfunny set pieces (bloke on fire, crashing into a house etc)

Matt
Sums up my feelings (and susbsequent post of a couple of weeks ago) perfectly.

There are some generally funny moments but these are being replaced with badly written, obvious and contrived humour.

Clarkson et al have confused these written pieces as the funny moments that have received praise in the past when in fact it is the unscripted stuff that amuses (me, at least).

Replaced by 6.2 litres of AMG powered C class.
sheps is offline   United Kingdom
      02-21-2011, 07:12 AM   #33
E90jonno
STANCE YOUR RIDE!

Drives: E90

All so grumpy! go watch fifth gear! lol
E90jonno is offline   United Kingdom
      02-21-2011, 07:20 AM   #34
pjs
Colonel

Drives: F30 335d

Next week is the last of a piss poor series i think. I hope they go out on a high, but I doubt it. That snowplough was painful, its like watching 'masters' football.
      02-21-2011, 07:45 AM   #35
rogerxp
Major General

Drives: M3 Comp Pack / QQ+2 Tekna

Garage List
I must admit to laughing at Clarkson's unique method of testing the depth of snow!!
Gone -: 370Z GT Roadster; BMW X3 3.0d xdrive M Sport; E46 330i M Sport Coupe; Mazda RX8 231; Nissan 350Z GT Roadster; BMW E90 330d M Sport; BMW E92 335i SE; Maserati 4200; Nissan 350Z; Honda S2000; Astra Coupe Turbo; Ford Probe
rogerxp is offline   United Kingdom
      02-21-2011, 08:11 AM   #36
creepy coupe
Major General

Drives: M235i

Garage List
2009 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerxp View Post
I must admit to laughing at Clarkson's unique method of testing the depth of snow!!
That tickled my Missus, if you know what I mean.
      02-21-2011, 08:12 AM   #37
RagingKileak
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerxp View Post
Yeah I did too lol.

Matt
      02-21-2011, 08:39 AM   #38
rogerxp
Major General

Drives: M3 Comp Pack / QQ+2 Tekna

Garage List
When he did it the second time I actually laughed out loud (or LOL to the yooth).
Gone -: 370Z GT Roadster; BMW X3 3.0d xdrive M Sport; E46 330i M Sport Coupe; Mazda RX8 231; Nissan 350Z GT Roadster; BMW E90 330d M Sport; BMW E92 335i SE; Maserati 4200; Nissan 350Z; Honda S2000; Astra Coupe Turbo; Ford Probe
rogerxp is offline   United Kingdom
      02-21-2011, 01:17 PM   #39
beemerbird
Major General

Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3-FAST View Post
V8's rule lol

The mpg doesn't though

Been doing plenty of fettling with the track car Helen, so spending some time over on Scoobynet, buying bits and pieces for it and gaining information - been popping on and off here though but mainly on the iphone which is pretty crap for posting.

Still driving the M3 yes, everyday pretty much. Prob doesn't do as many miles as it should but with a 20 month old to ferry round at weekends, the larger boot of Karen's CC makes more sense - as does the 40+ mpg it does!

Going back to the M3 vs RS5 issue, I don't think the competition pack would make a blind bit of difference to the times posted or the handling. The only thing it offers I think is 10mm less ride height, which is the same as the 'Edition' models last year. The rest is CSL style wheels and EDC and I am pretty sure the Audi would have had their version of EDC fitted (prob as standard?)

Audi's have always had a reputation for understeer - my A4 quattro used to do the same and it was the only part of the car's handling I didn't like as the 4WD used to make you feel very safe, especially when pressing on down country lanes etc.

On a track, yes, the M3 wins. i don't think there are any saloon cars around that price bracket that can touch it. BUT on the road, could the M3 be pressed as hard as it was on the track by the average driver? I guess not, and this is where the RS5 will feel better. On a wet road, it will be the more sure footed car but chuck it on a track and the handling will always let it down which is such a shame as I can't believe Audi haven't sussed the electronics and the car's weight distribuition better to overcome this.

The M3 is prob the most balanced car I have ever driven. I am no expert driver though!
LOL.

Ah good getting the Scooby sorted!

If the competition pack made no difference then why not send TG a standard M3, can be construed in different ways imo. Presumably people who alter the standard suspension and ride height do it for grip and handling purposes, unless I've read it all wrong on here in the past. And presumably the comp. pack sets the M3 up more for track use.

Different tracks suit different cars as we all know. The Autocar report from the 'track' they used seemed to suit the RS5 because it was very much like a road - literally, and so it goes on. FastestLaps.com is a prime example.

Never driven the type of A4 you had a few years back. Obviously I've only experienced the A5 platform with the standard suspension set up of the S5. Noticed mild understeer occasionally, but as we all know easily controlled on the road (and track - touring cars) hence those pesky hot hatches are so lethal like that Clio lol.

Having owned and driven both marques and specific models, I honestly believe you have two manufacturers with different ideas. I believe both cars are trying to achieve a successful compromise between the road and track but the compromises are always there. The virtues that are required for a good track car do not necessarily make a good road car without something having to give. Alternatively the virtues required to make a good road car do not necessarily make a good track car. The clues are in how the cars are marketed and advertised on their websites actually. Nothing to be taken as gospel on either side obviously! But then they go and produce the R8 which is a balls out sports car.

All this of course is academic as you or I haven't driven the RS5 and until we have or indeed anyone has, then it really is hard to say, as I'm sure those of us with a degree of intelligence and common sense would agree, and to make their own minds up based on actual first hand experience. Comes back to the same old imo, what you want out of a car and for what purposes you use it. For me 100% of my driving is done on the roads so I look for an overall package, which extends to overall quality of the product that is tailored to my needs as should we all tbh.

So what we need to do is meet up, and do a proper days thorough driving of both cars, pot luck if dry or not and see how much fossil fuel we can burn.

I totally agree Paul, the M3 will no doubt be the most complete car you've owned so far in your driving history............I thought that of the Cayman S then you know what came after that so that altered things again lol. And some say the Porsche Turbo is too much of a compromise for road use - wtf!! That's why they make the GT2/GT3 for the track.
beemerbird is offline   England
      02-21-2011, 03:20 PM   #40
FPO
Second Lieutenant

Drives: LCI E92 335d M-Sport

I did try and defend top gear a few weeks ago, but even I was throwing a few yawns in last night!
They had some funny moments e.g. the clarkson swan dive, but all in all it was pretty dire.

Ooooh Amber Heard.......i happily could of had the tv on mute for the 10 mins she was on, but yes she was boring and only on cus she was promoting a film.

I think they are really running out of any good ideas....but lets be honest theyve almost done everything imaginable with cars.

Anyone fancy posting some ideas that they could do on the show to spruce its interest up again?
      02-21-2011, 03:53 PM   #41
TMP
Colonel

Drives: M135i

Amber was shockingly boring and unattractive imo (her personality shown through)

I liked the RS5 vs M3 slot, although think they should have flipped the order and done more on the RS5 as its new. oh and where was the 1/4 drag race?

Snowplough ranged from ok, to too staged (setting that guy on fire).

But yep, it seems they are running out of ideas
      02-22-2011, 11:09 AM   #42
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist

Drives: E46 M3 CS

Garage List
Tbh I have not watched much of this series. I have always enjoyed TG over the years but Sunday's was a joke. I like a laugh, but all the accidents and crashes were staged.... so not funny. In the old days when they made mistakes and stuff it was funny because it was not fake.

I wanna drive an E92 M3 now and an RS5.

Clarkson obviously had it in for the Audi right from the off.

I do personally prefer RWD to 4WD however myself.

Helen in a RWD with oversteer, apply some oppo! and dependant on what you have done to cause it depends on what to do with t' throttle.
      02-25-2011, 08:22 PM   #43
Exotica
Lieutenant

Drives: People Mad
Location: The British Empire. Where The Sun Never Sets On Us.

The worst series by far.

Top Gear producer Andy Wilman has admitted the popular BBC2 show is in danger of running out of road as ratings continue to slump.

Ratings for the current series were down on previous years - last Sunday's episode had 5.6million compared to a high of eight million two years ago.

Wilman, who is credited with turning the show into a global powerhouse since relaunching it with presenter Jeremy Clarkson seven years ago, warned "this incarnation of Top Gear is nearer the end than the beginning".

Viewers have complained about the editorial direction it has taken in Wilman's words, that "we've lost the plot, we've disappeared up our arses, we're scripting everything, we're predictable etc etc".

Wilman said the presenters Clarkson, Richard Hammond and James May were starting to become caricatures of themselves.

"I do believe we've now got the presenters playing to their TV cartoon characters a bit too much Jezza the walking nuclear bomb, Richard the daft Norman Wisdom, and James the bumbling professor," he wrote.

He defended the show against complaints that it was becoming too scripted, instead arguing that "you're watching a show that's lost its innocence".

"That innocence has gone now, as always happens, because that's the nature of TV," he said.

"You all know the main pillars of our editorial, and we do our best to entertain, but none of us are going back to that first flush of discovery. But although that's sad, this is not time for glumness because there's still so much to do."

He admitted that the show could not go on indefinitely.