E90Post
 


ECS BMW
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > The Basics of Tuning and Timing



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-25-2011, 07:56 PM   #155
mithiral67
That guy
mithiral67's Avatar
68
Rep
5,724
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 Cayman GTS
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Chicago Burbs

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clap135 View Post
stock car as in no tune? If so, the no you are not maxing out timing.
Stock car, cobb 93 tune.
__________________
2015 - Cayman GTS - Stock
2011 - 335is e92 - Cobb PTF E40/Rob - Beck/AR/Helix (458 rwtq and 479 rwhp) - Retired
2007 - 911 Turbo - EP1/AMS (617 awtq and 500 awhp) - Retired
2008 - 335i e92 - Cobb/AR/Helix/OSS (384 rwtq and 356 rwhp) - Retired
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 08:00 PM   #156
Clap135
Brigadier General
Clap135's Avatar
53
Rep
3,464
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 N54
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Sticky's Mom House

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithiral67 View Post
Stock car, cobb 93 tune.
you're good
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 08:49 PM   #157
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Sniz's Avatar
190
Rep
10,572
Posts

 
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Ellicott City, MD

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlterZgo View Post
Chirp chirp... I hear crickets b/c Mike's MO is to ignore posts that he can't refute.
I was hoping for a response to that post to, one of the best ones in this thread IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZTUNER View Post
too all the all the jb timing theory guys. Take a cattle prod, set it to half voltage and poke a cow 5 times at 10 sec intervals. Then bump it up to max and do the same 5 times at 10 sec intervals. Which set of prods does more damage ?

Same goes for bumping off the knock limit. If you do it at stock boost it hurts less, hurts more if you do it at 2x boost.

This is about as simple as this theory can be made. Yes its true even if its a invincible bavarian cow.

Harry
__________________
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2011, 03:07 PM   #158
N54_Fan
Lieutenant
8
Rep
502
Posts

 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Parts unknown

iTrader: (0)

I would just like to say that I have learned a tremendous amount just in reading the dialogue here on this topic and thanks to all that have contributed.

I also would like to point out something rather obvious...that is that no less than 6 rather experienced tuners here think that having a tune adjust timing is a critical thing and the 1 guy that does NOT think its a big deal (because the BMW DME is so good) is NOT an experienced tuner but an experienced and well respected salesman.

This is kind of like asking 6 heart physician which is the best medicine for your heart and all 6 agreeing but the lone Drug Representative (non-physician) trying to push his new and improved drug as just as good when he has little to no experience on the subject compared to the others. I know whose opinion I would choose to believe.

Just my 0.02.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2011, 03:10 PM   #159
Forcefed3
Banned
No_Country
64
Rep
4,742
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 335i
Join Date: May 2010
Location: South

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by N54_Fan View Post
I would just like to say that I have learned a tremendous amount just in reading the dialogue here on this topic and thanks to all that have contributed.

I also would like to point out something rather obvious...that is that no less than 6 rather experienced tuners here think that having a tune adjust timing is a critical thing and the 1 guy that does NOT think its a big deal (because the BMW DME is so good) is NOT an experienced tuner but an experienced and well respected salesman.

This is kind of like asking 6 heart physician which is the best medicine for your heart and all 6 agreeing but the lone Drug Representative (non-physician) trying to push his new and improved drug as just as good when he has little to no experience on the subject compared to the others. I know whose opinion I would choose to believe.

Just my 0.02.
I wouldnt classify Mike as someone who has no experience tuning.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2011, 03:13 PM   #160
N54_Fan
Lieutenant
8
Rep
502
Posts

 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Parts unknown

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbreeE90 View Post
I wouldnt classify Mike as someone who has no experience tuning.
OK,..I may have been a bit harsh but there seems to be a clear difference in the level of knowledge and decision making on the topic at hand.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2011, 04:53 PM   #161
scottp999
Brigadier General
scottp999's Avatar
57
Rep
4,666
Posts

 
Drives: 335i - E92 - 6MT & 4runner SR5
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: MD

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [4.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbreeE90 View Post
I wouldnt classify Mike as someone who has no experience tuning.
Would love to hear Mike talk about the platforms he has personally designed tunes for. He has stated in the past that he is no tuning expert and that he started his business as a way for Canadian's to not have to pay the high cost of importing products from the United States.

I've assumed that all of the technical tuning information from Mike is just a proxy for Terry. Mike has stated that he understands tuning principles and can read the logs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
Also keep in mind I am not claiming to be a tuning expert. I can read logs and understand the principles, and I want to engage in this discussion
from:http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=285520

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
I started my company...to be able to provide you guys with an alternative to paying high customs/brokarage charges, unnecessary taxes and avoiding higher shipping costs associated with importing from the US.
From: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194271

Mike - If you have a tuning resume please share. I completely understand that Mike needs to be a relay since Terry is not allowed to post, but it becomes a little interesting when someone like you (gbreeE90) believes Mike is a tuner or has tuning experience because you don't have the full history yet.
__________________
Rob Beck Turbos, PROcede Rev. 3, Procede Fueling Flash (via OpenFlash Tablet), PPS Methanol System (Devil's Own 12 GPH Nozzle/Aquamist Flow Sensor/Labonte VC25), DCI, Quaife LSD, BMW Performance Suspension, Autobahn Exotics Exhaust, Helix FMIC, AR Design Downpipes, BSH Catch Can, Forge Diverter Valves, P3cars Vent Boost Gauge, Alufelgen CSL Reps, Lux 5.1 H8 Angel Eyes, HPB HID Fogs, LTBMW M3 Side Skirts, BMW M3 Rear Spoiler, BMW Front Aero Lip, BMW Pedal Kit, BMW M Shift Knob, Autotecknic Matte Black Grilles.

Last edited by scottp999; 02-26-2011 at 04:59 PM.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2011, 05:58 PM   #162
Forcefed3
Banned
No_Country
64
Rep
4,742
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 335i
Join Date: May 2010
Location: South

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottp999 View Post
Mike - If you have a tuning resume please share. I completely understand that Mike needs to be a relay since Terry is not allowed to post, but it becomes a little interesting when someone like you (gbreeE90) believes Mike is a tuner or has tuning experience because you don't have the full history yet.
Show me where I ever said Mike is a tuner, I don't see where you are getting that from. I never stated that he created anything, I just simply said that he has a little more knowledge than people give him credit for. Although I do believe a lot is relay from Terry. By saying "I wouldnt classify Mike as someone who has no experience tuning" I meant that he has obviously been around the N54 long enough to understand what is going on.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2011, 06:04 PM   #163
Jake@MOTIV
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Jake@MOTIV's Avatar
26
Rep
951
Posts


 
Drives: 135i, 335i
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: MD & NC

iTrader: (7)

Gbree - if the things Mike say come from Terry neither of them have tuning knowledge as the things they are saying go against every tuning FACT and actual laws of physics.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2011, 06:06 PM   #164
Forcefed3
Banned
No_Country
64
Rep
4,742
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 335i
Join Date: May 2010
Location: South

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyLow335i View Post
Gbree - if the things Mike say come from Terry neither of them have tuning knowledge as the things they are saying go against every tuning FACT and actual laws of physics.
I never said the things that he and Terry are doing are good or bad either.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2011, 06:48 PM   #165
scottp999
Brigadier General
scottp999's Avatar
57
Rep
4,666
Posts

 
Drives: 335i - E92 - 6MT & 4runner SR5
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: MD

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [4.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbreeE90 View Post
I wouldnt classify Mike as someone who has no experience tuning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbreeE90 View Post
Show me where I ever said Mike is a tuner, I don't see where you are getting that from.
Sorry if I misunderstood your post, but when I read your initial sentence, it is at least implicit, if not explicit that you are saying that mike has some tuning experience (more than none). I appreciate your clarification:


Quote:
Originally Posted by gbreeE90 View Post
I just simply said that he has a little more knowledge than people give him credit for... I meant that he has obviously been around the N54 long enough to understand what is going on.
__________________
Rob Beck Turbos, PROcede Rev. 3, Procede Fueling Flash (via OpenFlash Tablet), PPS Methanol System (Devil's Own 12 GPH Nozzle/Aquamist Flow Sensor/Labonte VC25), DCI, Quaife LSD, BMW Performance Suspension, Autobahn Exotics Exhaust, Helix FMIC, AR Design Downpipes, BSH Catch Can, Forge Diverter Valves, P3cars Vent Boost Gauge, Alufelgen CSL Reps, Lux 5.1 H8 Angel Eyes, HPB HID Fogs, LTBMW M3 Side Skirts, BMW M3 Rear Spoiler, BMW Front Aero Lip, BMW Pedal Kit, BMW M Shift Knob, Autotecknic Matte Black Grilles.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2011, 07:14 PM   #166
e92bmw
Lieutenant
7
Rep
490
Posts

 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: In front of your car

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 335i coupe  [0.00]
2007 335i coupe  [0.00]
Well its not really Mikes fault, he learned everything from Terry.....
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2011, 07:55 PM   #167
Forcefed3
Banned
No_Country
64
Rep
4,742
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 335i
Join Date: May 2010
Location: South

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottp999 View Post
Sorry if I misunderstood your post, but when I read your initial sentence, it is at least implicit, if not explicit that you are saying that mike has some tuning experience (more than none). I appreciate your clarification:




Thats okay, and yes my first post wasnt very clear.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2011, 08:58 PM   #168
techlogik
Major
20
Rep
1,339
Posts

 
Drives: 07 335i Coupe
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: FL

iTrader: (1)

Come on, you know that is really Terry posting using Mike's account right? Since Terry got banned a long time ago..he just assumes his identity on the forum...which makes the comments even more scary.
__________________
SOLD: 2007 E92 335i Space Gray. Loaded. 6AT | GIAC Stage 1 w/map switcher 330rwhp/332tq | CX Racing IC | Drop-in Filter | Eibach Pro/Koni Yellows | M6 Reps | Toyo Proxes IV Tires, 235/35/19F-265/30/19R
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2011, 11:18 AM   #169
Clap135
Brigadier General
Clap135's Avatar
53
Rep
3,464
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 N54
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Sticky's Mom House

iTrader: (1)

morpheus requested this gets bumped to the top
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2011, 11:28 AM   #170
Morpheus
Captain
11
Rep
873
Posts

 
Drives: 335i Titanium Silver
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Cockaigne

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clap135 View Post
morpheus requested this gets bumped to the top
somebody pass the vaseline....
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 09:12 PM   #171
shifterboy45
Major
shifterboy45's Avatar
14
Rep
1,180
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 335i Coupe
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: North by Northwest

iTrader: (0)

I think that this thread could become a sticky for newbies --

knowing the basics will help people in the long run define which tune is best for their needs -- or if they want to tune at all.

having pics and diagrams of the engine are helpful, but in the long run the best knowledge is gleaned from good open debate --

modern interal combustion engine technology is not that complex, its when you intend to extract more power, that the guessing has to stop, and good practices have to start.
this is not to be looked at like -- "dude, you have to earn your dues", because that the way it used to be... you made a mistake, or miscalculation it cost you big time. I believe that if you have the knowledge, share it, make better modders and probably get a few more guys into tuning. not everyone will tune their cars -- but they sure should know this information exists.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 09:20 PM   #172
Forcefed3
Banned
No_Country
64
Rep
4,742
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 335i
Join Date: May 2010
Location: South

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shifterboy45 View Post
I think that this thread could become a sticky for newbies --

knowing the basics will help people in the long run define which tune is best for their needs -- or if they want to tune at all.

having pics and diagrams of the engine are helpful, but in the long run the best knowledge is gleaned from good open debate --

modern interal combustion engine technology is not that complex, its when you intend to extract more power, that the guessing has to stop, and good practices have to start.
this is not to be looked at like -- "dude, you have to earn your dues", because that the way it used to be... you made a mistake, or miscalculation it cost you big time. I believe that if you have the knowledge, share it, make better modders and probably get a few more guys into tuning. not everyone will tune their cars -- but they sure should know this information exists.
+1 for the sticky.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 10:47 PM   #173
joyride
Private First Class
3
Rep
170
Posts

 
Drives: X5 M-Sport
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Detroit

iTrader: (2)

it would make a good sticky if they clean it up a bit. Half the stuff in the rest of the post is way off topic.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 10:59 PM   #174
Dmacc
Colonel
58
Rep
2,660
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 135i
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Nor Cal

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyride View Post
it would make a good sticky if they clean it up a bit. Half the stuff in the rest of the post is way off topic.
Honestly, take out my comment and all the other random off topic ones, then this is worth the sticky.
__________________

thanks to MGallop
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 10:22 AM   #175
roninsoldier83
Forced Induction FTW!
roninsoldier83's Avatar
United_States
5
Rep
214
Posts

 
Drives: E90 BMW 335xi N54 6MT
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Denver, CO

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifterboy45 View Post
I think that this thread could become a sticky for newbies --

knowing the basics will help people in the long run define which tune is best for their needs -- or if they want to tune at all.

having pics and diagrams of the engine are helpful, but in the long run the best knowledge is gleaned from good open debate --

modern interal combustion engine technology is not that complex, its when you intend to extract more power, that the guessing has to stop, and good practices have to start.
this is not to be looked at like -- "dude, you have to earn your dues", because that the way it used to be... you made a mistake, or miscalculation it cost you big time. I believe that if you have the knowledge, share it, make better modders and probably get a few more guys into tuning. not everyone will tune their cars -- but they sure should know this information exists.
Actually, the day after I created this thread, it was a sticky for about 5 minutes or so. It was taken down quickly (only saw it in the sticky section once), likely based on the controversy it created. I should have taken a screen shot haha.
__________________
E90 BMW 335xi 6MT N54 - SOLD
Kawasaki Ninja 650R - Play Toy
Former cars: 2009 Infiniti G37x, 2006 Subaru STI, 2006 Mazdaspeed 6, 2003 Nissan 350Z, 2004 Subaru WRX, 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2nd Gen DSM & 1990 Mazda Miata
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 11:23 AM   #176
shifterboy45
Major
shifterboy45's Avatar
14
Rep
1,180
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 335i Coupe
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: North by Northwest

iTrader: (0)

sticky if parsed for good data

i think that the idea of excluding the random banter is a good idea -- let the thread stand on its merits and remove all the personal biased stuff..

im sure there is way to enrich the community without sacrificing decorum..

I really believe this is essential, and makes a strong contribution to the whole..

mods please consider
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:48 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST