Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

  E90Post
 


TireRack

   PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Cracked fender



Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

Wheel offset calculator courtesy of BimmerPost.com. You may use this calculator to calculate what tire sizes you might need if you upgrade your tires, or what wheel sizes/offsets are compatible with your car.
    Current Wheel Width  inches             Current Wheel Offset  mm.
         New Wheel Width  inches                  New Wheel Offset  mm.
 
TIRE WIDTH
/
ASPECT RATIO
- WHEEL DIAMETER
ORIGINAL TIRES
/
NEW TIRES
/
Based on your stock wheel setup, your new wheel will have:
Original Tires Diameter (in.)
      New Tires Diameter (in.)
  Difference in diameter (in.)
           Percent Difference %
                     
Speedo @60mph will read: mph
Collapse/Expand the BimmerPost Wheel and Tire calculator
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-26-2011, 11:43 AM   #1
Menotti
0
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: 2010 328xi Coupe
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Jersey City, NJ

Posts: 32
iTrader: (0)

Angry Cracked fender

So I bent a rim hitting a pothole a few weeks ago. Wasn't visible, but was sure it was there.

Got a replacement wheel. Went to Goodyear, had them take off the suspect tire and wheel, lo and behold, the interior of the wheel was bent.

Had them replace the rim, $35 out the door.

I get home, and notice a crack and slight warp of the fender on the same side where the wheel was replaced.

Couple of questions...
- I didn't notice the damage before, is it possible when I hit the pothole that the tire pressed up against the fender and caused this?
- Is there any way at all to prove whether Goodyear did this when working on my car?
- Where can I get a replacement fender? Can I find them prefabbed in my paint color or will I need to get it painted, too?

Thanks much
Menotti is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      02-26-2011, 02:43 PM   #2
Bimmer335i07
158
BK Employee of the month! / Moderator
 
Bimmer335i07's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 335i Sedan
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: ...

Posts: 15,801
iTrader: (9)

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menotti View Post
So I bent a rim hitting a pothole a few weeks ago. Wasn't visible, but was sure it was there.

Got a replacement wheel. Went to Goodyear, had them take off the suspect tire and wheel, lo and behold, the interior of the wheel was bent.

Had them replace the rim, $35 out the door.

I get home, and notice a crack and slight warp of the fender on the same side where the wheel was replaced.

Couple of questions...
- I didn't notice the damage before, is it possible when I hit the pothole that the tire pressed up against the fender and caused this?
- Is there any way at all to prove whether Goodyear did this when working on my car?
- Where can I get a replacement fender? Can I find them prefabbed in my paint color or will I need to get it painted, too?

Thanks much
What's up Menotti!!! This is Scott! Didn't know you were a member of e90post.

Sorry to hear about your fender. I doubt that you'll be able to say that Goodyear did it. It's kind of hard for them to mess up your fender, just by installing a new wheel/tire. Most likely the damage was caused by the pothole.

If you're planning on getting a replacement bumper, I would suggest you go through your insurance, they should have something for road hazards. Unless your deductible is more than $500. Cause I know a new OEM bumper and paint will cost $$$. And if you go through your insurance, have them reimburse you for the repair to the wheel and tire.

If you need any further help, you know how to contact me.

GL!
Bimmer335i07 is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      02-26-2011, 02:57 PM   #3
Menotti
0
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: 2010 328xi Coupe
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Jersey City, NJ

Posts: 32
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer335i07 View Post
What's up Menotti!!! This is Scott! Didn't know you were a member of e90post.

Sorry to hear about your fender. I doubt that you'll be able to say that Goodyear did it. It's kind of hard for them to mess up your fender, just by installing a new wheel/tire. Most likely the damage was caused by the pothole.

If you're planning on getting a replacement bumper, I would suggest you go through your insurance, they should have something for road hazards. Unless your deductible is more than $500. Cause I know a new OEM bumper and paint will cost $$$. And if you go through your insurance, have them reimburse you for the repair to the wheel and tire.

If you need any further help, you know how to contact me.

GL!
Scott! What's up man?

I had a friend who worked at Meineke take a look. We didn't find any scuffing or evidence of the tire pushing up against the wheel well on that side. Also, the manager, a mechanic, and I looked at the wheel before anything was changed. No one noticed or mentioned the damage on the fender, which is pretty obvious now. I more and more think it happened in the shop.

It's possible someone caught a tool or hand under there. Popped the hood and saw the crack at the bolt. Doesn't seem like it's been there for too long, the debris from the crack was still there.

I'm going to get an estimate from BMW and try to get Goodyear to cover it. It's not like a shop to not point out supposed residual damage from the incident, so I think it happened during the wheel switch.

Definitely don't want to put it through insurance, I imagine it will impact my policy.
Menotti is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      02-26-2011, 05:00 PM   #4
Bimmer335i07
158
BK Employee of the month! / Moderator
 
Bimmer335i07's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 335i Sedan
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: ...

Posts: 15,801
iTrader: (9)

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menotti View Post
Scott! What's up man?

I had a friend who worked at Meineke take a look. We didn't find any scuffing or evidence of the tire pushing up against the wheel well on that side. Also, the manager, a mechanic, and I looked at the wheel before anything was changed. No one noticed or mentioned the damage on the fender, which is pretty obvious now. I more and more think it happened in the shop.

It's possible someone caught a tool or hand under there. Popped the hood and saw the crack at the bolt. Doesn't seem like it's been there for too long, the debris from the crack was still there.

I'm going to get an estimate from BMW and try to get Goodyear to cover it. It's not like a shop to not point out supposed residual damage from the incident, so I think it happened during the wheel switch.

Definitely don't want to put it through insurance, I imagine it will impact my policy.
Post a pic of it.
Bimmer335i07 is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      02-26-2011, 06:37 PM   #5
Menotti
0
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: 2010 328xi Coupe
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Jersey City, NJ

Posts: 32
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer335i07 View Post
Post a pic of it.
will take one tomorrow
Menotti is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      03-13-2011, 02:12 PM   #6
Menotti
0
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: 2010 328xi Coupe
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Jersey City, NJ

Posts: 32
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menotti View Post
will take one tomorrow
Here's the photo and the update:

I contacted Goodyear corporate and explained what happened. They seemed pretty nice about it, told me to go back to the shop to have them write the claim up. I get a letter a few days later from corporate claiming they are not honoring the claim because of lack of evidence.

The timeline was as follows:
  1. Hit the pothole, bent the rim
  2. Examined the car 100s of times before bringing it to Goodyear
  3. Goodyear mechanics, managers, etc mention nothing about my fender being bent above the line of my hood
  4. Get my car back, fender visibly cracked and bent above the line of the hood
  5. Take photos that day

And they're trying to say that it was already cracked. If it was already visibly cracked on the same side where my rim was bent, they undoubtedly would've seen it and mentioned it to me. The manager who reexamined the vehicle agreed that there was no damage to the wheel well or underside of the fender from the tire hitting up into it.

So where do I go from here? BMW quoted $1300 for replacement and paint matching. Bogus in my opinion to pay for it.

Menotti is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      03-14-2011, 06:27 AM   #7
Morpheus
8
Captain
 
Drives: 335i Titanium Silver
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Cockaigne

Posts: 857
iTrader: (1)

you won't get anywhere with a shop. I have on at least two occasions personally examined wheels (new in the box) with tire guys and then after they were mounted (and scratched) tell me with a straight face that the scratches were already there. Unless you have a video showing them damaging your car I would just move on. Shouldn't it be considered "no fault" if it came from a pothole? I would think your insurance shouldn't go up.
Morpheus is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      03-14-2011, 04:19 PM   #8
Ghost170
33
Brigadier General
 
Ghost170's Avatar
 
Drives: VIP Sport 335!
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: N CA

Posts: 3,358
iTrader: (8)

Garage List
You can order the part yourself, I recommend www.getbmwparts.com. Then have a local bodyshop paint/install. If you know how to work on cars, you can do the install yourself and save some money. This is a body work situation, so no need to take to dealer. Just find a bodyshop that paints really well. Hope this helps.
__________________
07 E92 335!

AA AE GP HR LC M3 KW BMS BMW LUX CYBA STRI WORK HELIX MTECH LSWEEE(Wavetrac)!
Ghost170 is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      03-14-2011, 06:44 PM   #9
lpphreakx06
72
Professional Moose Racer
 
lpphreakx06's Avatar
 
Drives: SG 335i E92
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bellevue, Wa

Posts: 7,225
iTrader: (25)

A brand new coupe fender retails for $334.17 (Part # 41357168988, please verify before ordering). Tischer sells it for 270.50 plus $95 flat rate shipping (The box is huge). I bought mine used from a forum member, remember to get insurance on all shipping.
Paint should be 200-300, since they maybe have to blend your door to match.

Good luck
__________________

BMW Dream Team PNW Chapter, member #1
|HP Autowerks | AR DESIGN | BMW PERFORMANCE | STOP TECH | Volk Racing| AMS | ARKYM
lpphreakx06 is offline   Vietnam
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:17 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST