Bimmer Retrofit
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Phantom misfire code

09-14-2015, 08:22 AM   #1
Private First Class

Drives: 2011 335i xDrive

Garage List
Phantom misfire code

So about a month ago my dealership replaced my plugs for me at about 40k miles. On the way home I got a misfire code on cylinder four. I live about an hour from the dealership, so I didn't turn around like I should have.

I decided that night to switch the coils on 4 and 2 to see if the code followed with the coil. My mistake was that I cleared the code for cylinder four when I did this. It did not follow the coil, and I have not had another misfire code since. My issue now is I only have 6k miles left on my warranty, and the service rep said they cannot do anything about the misfire unless the code comes back.

Any inputs as to what could have caused the misfire or any tactics to get them to check into it further? I am going to pick it up today so any input would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2015, 10:29 AM   #2
Second Lieutenant

Drives: '11 335xi

My dealer experiences have been pretty lame, between unmodding and remodding, and their lack of doing ANYTHING unless there's a code for it, I just save myself the headache and fix things myself.

Your misfire could be a coil on its way out, I get slight misfires on cold starts and partial throttle but never get any codes for them. My advice would be to just push the car and wait for the misfire to return, its not that bad if its not throwing codes for it, its kind of like letting it get worse before you can diagnose it. Thats pretty much what I'm doing, if your next misfire is on cyl 2, just replace the coil, if its still in 4, well then you just gotta go from there. If its not misfiring you're good for the time being.
Appreciate 0