E90Post
 


 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Just flashed MHD and the car feels really weird



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-13-2017, 01:09 AM   #1
katatonia
Private
katatonia's Avatar
-1
Rep
89
Posts

Drives: 2011 e92 335xi 6mt
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Sylvan Lake, AB

iTrader: (0)

Just flashed MHD and the car feels really weird

So I just flashed my (what I think is stock) 2011 335i 6mt with stage 1 mhd and immediately I noticed that the engine isn't as rev happy as before. It's way easier to shift smoothly now and I believe the car is making more power in the high end but the engine revs up way slower in general and there isn't much torque down low. It also takes longer to rev down when I lift my foot off the gas. I also noticed it starts from stop a lot smoother than before. I was wearing my rears really quickly before but I thought that was just because I was shit at driving manual. Now I'm thinking it was maybe the tune that was on it before.

I bought this car from its second owner who thought the car was maybe dinan tuned before he bought it but from what I read I should have a dinan sticker somewhere under the hood, right? How can I figure out what tune was on it previously?

At first I flashed with the linear throttle option and it felt absolutely awful. Then I flashed without linear throttle and it felt way better but not like it was before. Flashing back to stage 0 feels worse than any. Also the car is way quieter at startup and when idling, but it's idling at the same rpm as before. I just flashed to stage 1+ and it feels closest to what I had before but still strange.

I didn't back up the ECU because I'm pants on head retarded.

Overall I like the tune but I'm really disappointed by how slow and laggy the throttle feels...do you think this is normal?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2017, 06:04 AM   #2
racermp
Captain
racermp's Avatar
United_States
76
Rep
714
Posts

Drives: e90 335i n55, e70 X5 35i n55
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Houston, TX

iTrader: (0)

Try logging it to see if something is wrong.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2017, 11:36 AM   #3
katatonia
Private
katatonia's Avatar
-1
Rep
89
Posts

Drives: 2011 e92 335xi 6mt
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Sylvan Lake, AB

iTrader: (0)

Will do. I also just noticed the mhd thread so I posted there instead.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2017, 01:11 PM   #4
flexinator
Captain
flexinator's Avatar
United_States
33
Rep
619
Posts

Drives: 2011 335xi coupe
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: US

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Check your codes with the MHD app. I bet there's some, boost leak? The OEM plastic charge pipe often cracks near the engine.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2017, 06:45 PM   #5
maddmatth
First Lieutenant
40
Rep
374
Posts

Drives: E92 335i MSport DCT
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Auckland, New Zealand

iTrader: (0)

Perhaps the tune you had before just had a very sensitive throttle pedal mapping.

"At first I flashed with the linear throttle option and it felt absolutely awful. Then I flashed without linear throttle and it felt way better but not like it was before."
This does suggest to me that you're used to a sensitive throttle pedal. I think that is what's really making it feel weird to you, not the actual power difference.

Get some logs if you can though, would be helpful to see if your car is running well. If you can, a 3rd gear pull from 2000rpm to redline is ideal (don't go full throttle before 2000, not good for the engine).
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2017, 08:52 PM   #6
katatonia
Private
katatonia's Avatar
-1
Rep
89
Posts

Drives: 2011 e92 335xi 6mt
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Sylvan Lake, AB

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddmatth View Post
Perhaps the tune you had before just had a very sensitive throttle pedal mapping.

"At first I flashed with the linear throttle option and it felt absolutely awful. Then I flashed without linear throttle and it felt way better but not like it was before."
This does suggest to me that you're used to a sensitive throttle pedal. I think that is what's really making it feel weird to you, not the actual power difference.

Get some logs if you can though, would be helpful to see if your car is running well. If you can, a 3rd gear pull from 2000rpm to redline is ideal (don't go full throttle before 2000, not good for the engine).
But even if I quickly tap the accelerator to the floor in neutral, the engine revs to like 2k or 2.5k. On my last tune if I did that it would rev to like 4k. Something feels very wrong with the throttle (or it's working as intended and I'm just not used to it)

Here's that log: http://datazap.me/u/katatonia/third-...og=0&data=4-12


Cheers
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2017, 09:03 PM   #7
maddmatth
First Lieutenant
40
Rep
374
Posts

Drives: E92 335i MSport DCT
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Auckland, New Zealand

iTrader: (0)

That's normal I think. Also sometimes the car will limit to 3k when parked, but maybe just the DCT/auto does that.
If your old map had, say, 90% throttle at 40% pedal travel, then your quick tap of the pedal is effectively holding >90% throttle for longer.

And in response to the MHD thread, yes your charge pipe is the stock one. Running aftermarket tunes will make that thing explode at some point, best you get an aftermarket one.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2017, 09:09 PM   #8
katatonia
Private
katatonia's Avatar
-1
Rep
89
Posts

Drives: 2011 e92 335xi 6mt
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Sylvan Lake, AB

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flexinator View Post
Check your codes with the MHD app. I bet there's some, boost leak? The OEM plastic charge pipe often cracks near the engine.
MHD isn't showing any codes actually unless I'm doing something wrong
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2017, 09:10 PM   #9
katatonia
Private
katatonia's Avatar
-1
Rep
89
Posts

Drives: 2011 e92 335xi 6mt
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Sylvan Lake, AB

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddmatth View Post
That's normal I think. Also sometimes the car will limit to 3k when parked, but maybe just the DCT/auto does that.
If your old map had, say, 90% throttle at 40% pedal travel, then your quick tap of the pedal is effectively holding >90% throttle for longer.

And in response to the MHD thread, yes your charge pipe is the stock one. Running aftermarket tunes will make that thing explode at some point, best you get an aftermarket one.
But it used to climb to 4k faster than it climbs to 2.5k now. Does that have anything to do with throttle sensitivity?

Also my exhaust was really loud and deep at low rpms before, and now it's quiet until I rev it out

Here's a clip I recorded a few months ago (at the time I thought it was stock, but it doesn't sound like it, does it?)

Last edited by katatonia; 05-13-2017 at 09:22 PM.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2017, 09:46 PM   #10
maddmatth
First Lieutenant
40
Rep
374
Posts

Drives: E92 335i MSport DCT
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Auckland, New Zealand

iTrader: (0)

Maybe the tune or DME version you had before behaved differently in neutral?

Maybe the MHD tune just finished off an already week wastegate solenoid? You need to replace it regardless I think.
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...er-11747649407


...

I just took a second look at your log and switched on timing corrections. Woah that looks bad! Really bad. I think that's your problem!
You probably need new spark plugs, maybe coils.

Could someone with some knowledge look at that and give a second opinion?

I think you should avoid driving your car hard for now.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2017, 09:51 PM   #11
katatonia
Private
katatonia's Avatar
-1
Rep
89
Posts

Drives: 2011 e92 335xi 6mt
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Sylvan Lake, AB

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddmatth View Post
Maybe the tune or DME version you had before behaved differently in neutral?

Maybe the MHD tune just finished off an already week wastegate solenoid? You need to replace it regardless I think.
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...er-11747649407


...

I just took a second look at your log and switched on timing corrections. Woah that looks bad! Really bad. I think that's your problem!
You probably need new spark plugs, maybe coils.

Could someone with some knowledge look at that and give a second opinion?

I think you should avoid driving your car hard for now.
Okay, thank you for the heads up. Maybe I should flash back to stock for now?

Also my plugs are pretty new - like 7000km stock gap. Original coils though.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2017, 10:57 PM   #12
Mikaeldarer
Private First Class
Mikaeldarer's Avatar
United_States
34
Rep
195
Posts

Drives: 2011 e90 335i N55
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: South Florida

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by katatonia View Post
But even if I quickly tap the accelerator to the floor in neutral, the engine revs to like 2k or 2.5k. On my last tune if I did that it would rev to like 4k. Something feels very wrong with the throttle (or it's working as intended and I'm just not used to it)

Here's that log: http://datazap.me/u/katatonia/third-...og=0&data=4-12


Cheers
WGDC is spiking to around 80% at initial WOT which is probably tune related. Only other thing that I noticed was corrections across all cylinders which is most likely due to crappy fuel, failed plugs/coils, or also tune related.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2017, 08:17 PM   #13
katatonia
Private
katatonia's Avatar
-1
Rep
89
Posts

Drives: 2011 e92 335xi 6mt
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Sylvan Lake, AB

iTrader: (0)

Bought an aftermarket charge pipe as I think it is indeed cracked.

Besides that, though, I don't understand why a tune would suddenly make my throttle response feel like shit. My exhaust used to sound so throaty at low rpms and now it just sounds sad. I didn't even go for a drive or anything before I noticed it - I just flashed and turned the car on and it was immediately noticeable. I don't know if replacing failed components is going to solve my complaints...

My car pulls the same as before when I floor it, but casual driving is just gutless. Maybe I need a custom tune to get what I'm desiring?

Edit: just flashed back to stock and it confirms that I did indeed have some sort of tune on the car before. Here's a third gear log http://datazap.me/u/katatonia/stock-...og=0&data=5-26

Last edited by katatonia; 05-14-2017 at 09:51 PM.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2017, 11:22 PM   #14
katatonia
Private
katatonia's Avatar
-1
Rep
89
Posts

Drives: 2011 e92 335xi 6mt
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Sylvan Lake, AB

iTrader: (0)

I think my car was flashed with ppk before.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1189014

Reading this is exactly what my car felt like before. But I thought if you flashed back to stock you would have ppk again? That didn't seem to be the case for me
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2017, 02:22 AM   #15
maddmatth
First Lieutenant
40
Rep
374
Posts

Drives: E92 335i MSport DCT
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Auckland, New Zealand

iTrader: (0)

Those timing corrections are still frightening, I wouldn't be flooring the car with that issue.
These massive timing pulls must surely be affecting how responsive the car feels.

PPK does certainly ramp up pedal sensitivity.
You can flash PPK with MHD if you want, just get a hold of the BIN file.
But I'd say you're best on the stock map until you get new spark plugs at least.

Get the NGK 5992 plugs and have them gapped down to 0.022
http://www.burgertuning.com/N54_BMW_...t_adapter.html

You can get OEM too (don't buy the N54 ones...), but I did that and I get fairly bad timing corrections unless I flash one MHD map below my octane level, which is a bit of a bummer... maybe they can be gapped down too.

Last edited by maddmatth; 05-15-2017 at 02:27 AM.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2017, 11:27 AM   #16
katatonia
Private
katatonia's Avatar
-1
Rep
89
Posts

Drives: 2011 e92 335xi 6mt
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Sylvan Lake, AB

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddmatth View Post
Those timing corrections are still frightening, I wouldn't be flooring the car with that issue.
These massive timing pulls must surely be affecting how responsive the car feels.

PPK does certainly ramp up pedal sensitivity.
You can flash PPK with MHD if you want, just get a hold of the BIN file.
But I'd say you're best on the stock map until you get new spark plugs at least.

Get the NGK 5992 plugs and have them gapped down to 0.022
http://www.burgertuning.com/N54_BMW_...t_adapter.html

You can get OEM too (don't buy the N54 ones...), but I did that and I get fairly bad timing corrections unless I flash one MHD map below my octane level, which is a bit of a bummer... maybe they can be gapped down too.
Awesome, do you know where I can get the ppk bin file?

I've got only 6000km on these (oem) plugs. Should I pop them out and gap them to 0.022 or buy more plugs again? Lol
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:39 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST