E90Post

Lux Angel Eyes

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > My Porsche has gone tonight.....

03-03-2011, 06:27 PM   #1
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Merc SLS AMG & ML63 AMG

My Porsche has gone tonight.....

.......to be taken to the dealer on the back of a low loader

(That had you lot looking didn't it lol)

Over the last couple of days the dashboard lights have been playing up - one night the instrument lighting didn't work, the following night the PCM buttons didn't work yet on both occasions a quick off then on with the ignition seemed to fix it.

Then tonight there was a really bad smell when I started it up - much like an old diesel starting up when you can just smell the particulates and they get in your chest. Also, none of the dials or dash lights worked (but the PCM continued to work).

Still, I proceeded to take it out as I was only going a couple of miles but within a few meters I found the suspension to be rock hard - not like having PASM in sport but really, really hard like it had no suspension travel at all. Also, the power delivery was hesitant and all in all it felt pretty much undriveable

I'm off to the Geneva show in the early hours of the morning so needed it taking tonight so Porsche could look at it tomorrow - I rang the Porsche breakdown hotline and they sent a low loader (a very low loader...they definitely sent the right type of truck!) within the hour and off it's gone.

I seriously hope they fix it without having to take it to bits

So much for these supposedly being the 'reliable' supercar - in all my car ownership which in the early days included Citroens, Fiats and Alfa's I don't think I've ever been let down to the point where I can't drive the car.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 06:32 PM   #2
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Germany
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 V10, BMW 530d xDrive

Garage List
2009 335i  [4.39]
Crossing fingers for you Andrew! I hope it's nothing too serious.

Pity you're off to Geneva now - we're coming to London tomorrow! But we'll have a pint (or rather something more palatable) for you in the Penny Black...

Alpina_B3_Lux
      03-03-2011, 06:36 PM   #3
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Cheers Marcel....but wheres my invite huh???
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2011, 02:36 AM   #4
Steve A
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: too much

Andy,

just sell it and get another AMG i know you're itching already.

Shit news btw.
      03-04-2011, 05:27 AM   #5
335diesel
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335d Touring

Garage List
Oh very bu66er. It can't break down, it's my favourite car (as well at the "S" of course)!

E91 335d SE Touring

Also Land Rover Puma Defender 110 XS station wagon
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2011, 05:48 AM   #6
TMP
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M135i

I have never had to endure a car being towed away mate, but understand how not good that would be
      03-04-2011, 06:02 AM   #7
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
Bit of a bugger that Andrew but I would place a bet that chances are it will not be a recurring fault.

Remember the power steering pump went on my Turbo (well power steering still worked but no fluid visible on dipstick) and OPC insisted I shouldn't drive it. My first car to be towed away but was fine afterwards.

You should be well looked after if any consolation, and rightly or wrongly if made by humans it may or may not go wrong. Sounds sensors/electronics related perhaps.

Known recurring faults are what would really piss me off and there's no excuse for that imo by a manufacturer.

Enjoy Geneva if you've gone.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2011, 06:32 AM   #8
rogerxp
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp Pack / QQ+2 Tekna

Garage List
Fingers crossed they sort it out quickly and without much fuss.

My first 350Z quit on me a couple of weeks into ownership, brand new, at a clients factory. It just gave up whilst dropping a security pass off at reception upon leaving; couldn't move the bugger, no life at all, also couldn't push it out of the way because of the way I'd parked it on a hill. I was blocking the entrance and loads of lorries quickly backed-up; I wasn't very popular (plus highly embarrassed). Luckily the 350Z at time was a pretty rare sight so they didn't seem to mind so much and everyone just had a gander. It was taken off on the back of a flat-bed. Sorted out in no time though back at the garage.
Gone -: 370Z GT Roadster; BMW X3 3.0d xdrive M Sport; E46 330i M Sport Coupe; Mazda RX8 231; Nissan 350Z GT Roadster; BMW E90 330d M Sport; BMW E92 335i SE; Maserati 4200; Nissan 350Z; Honda S2000; Astra Coupe Turbo; Ford Probe
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2011, 06:51 AM   #9
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
My E93 left on a low loader many many times ha ha

First time when steering pump went, second when HPFP failed, third time when seat belt jammed and would not operate, fourth time when brake servo packed in.....became a standing joke with the neighbours when the 'BMW Assist' 5 series would arrive shortly followed by a flat bed

Hope you get it sorted soon Andy, it can soon take the shine off owning a nice car if things start going wrong and confidence is lost
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2011, 09:36 AM   #10
peterg1965
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MY12 Range Rover Sport HSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3-FAST View Post
My E93 left on a low loader many many times ha ha

First time when steering pump went, second when HPFP failed, third time when seat belt jammed and would not operate, fourth time when brake servo packed in.....became a standing joke with the neighbours when the 'BMW Assist' 5 series would arrive shortly followed by a flat bed

Hope you get it sorted soon Andy, it can soon take the shine off owning a nice car if things start going wrong and confidence is lost
I remember your saga very well, was it 2007 when the E93 first came out? Wasn't there also someone from the IoW who got one at the same time?

Andrew, am sure the OPC will sort out the TT pretty quickly - enjoy Geneva!
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2011, 01:57 PM   #11
andymc0001
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: bmw 335d se coupe

My range rover was on the low loader more than the road! Not a good feeling, even worse when you have to travel with it and everyones looking laughing at you.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2011, 05:15 PM   #12
quattrogmbh
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Sorry to hear of your experience. I'm sure it will be a straightforward fix and you'll soon be back in the saddle.
Enjoy Geneva.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2011, 05:32 PM   #13
ddogg35
Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: 318i

Garage List
see you car knew you were off to look at all the new pretty models and is punishing you for it, hopefully it will forgive you soon
      03-04-2011, 07:16 PM   #14
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddogg35 View Post
see you car knew you were off to look at all the new pretty models and is punishing you for it, hopefully it will forgive you soon
^^ ^^

To everyone else, thanks for the assurances. Unfortunately the car has been at porsche all day today and they've not found the fault...although at least they appreciate there is a fault given most of the electrical system is buggered!

I did have a good day at the Geneva show though...there's some nice kit out or about to come out.

Steve....yes I know I'm hankering after an AMG again and after seeing the new C63 today I thought it was stunning (but then I am one of the biggest advocates of that car)...in particular the new interior rectifies the cars only major aesthetic problem. If they've sorted the shimmying steering column and the new gearbox is as good as it is in the E63 then I'll be one of their first customers in the summer. Oh, and if I could afford it, the new CLS 63 AMG is just sensational and my favourite 'realistic' car of the show.

In the meantime until the summer I want to enjoy my Porsche so am hoping it's fixed next week. At least I get a reasonable hire car...Porsche have arranged for me to have a C Class until mine is fixed and despite being shut, theyre still going to drop it off at my house on Sunday for me.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2011, 02:12 PM   #15
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Germany
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 V10, BMW 530d xDrive

Garage List
2009 335i  [4.39]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmnuts View Post
Cheers Marcel....but wheres my invite huh???
To the Penny Black? Just holler at Tone and he'll set you up!

Alpina_B3_Lux
      03-07-2011, 02:56 PM   #16
Irnbrukid
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: RepMobile

Quote:

I did have a good day at the Geneva show though...there's some nice kit out or about to come out.

Steve....yes I know I'm hankering after an AMG again and after seeing the new C63 today I thought it was stunning (but then I am one of the biggest advocates of that car)...in particular the new interior rectifies the cars only major aesthetic problem. If they've sorted the shimmying steering column and the new gearbox is as good as it is in the E63 then I'll be one of their first customers in the summer. Oh, and if I could afford it, the new CLS 63 AMG is just sensational and my favourite 'realistic' car of the show.
Did you take any pics at the show??
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2011, 08:47 PM   #17
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Yes I did - and it was a good show. I'll pop some up on here in the next couple of days.

So, with regards to the Porsche, I got a call from the dealer today and apparently, whilst I've been swanning about in the luxurious surroundings of the Saab 9-3 that they've lent to me, my Turbo has apparently fixed itself.

The car didn't work when they had it on Friday but by the time they went to work on it today, it worked. This is terrible news - it means they don't know what to fix and that it could just happen at any time again.

Frustrating...very frustrating! I'm leaving it with them for another day or so because I like the Saab so much....ooops, I meant, so they can investigate further whilst they've got it!
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2011, 02:58 PM   #18
ddogg35
Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: 318i

Garage List
i told you
seriously though it sucks when stuff like that happens
      03-08-2011, 03:59 PM   #19
ADV.1 Matt
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: N/A

Keep us up to date on what the issue was. You typically don't hear about too many of these issues with the P-cars.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2011, 08:31 PM   #20
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Porsche have recommend they do a software update today and that should cure it. That's right...cure the thing that they don't know what they're curing

I'll get it back tomorrow night after they've tested it for another day and see if it behaves itself.

Shame, I was getting to like the Saab....and on that note, it's nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be.

Given it's based on a Vectra chassis, Saab have done very well to make sure it's nothing like a Vectra - it has a very nice ride....not sporty but in a comfortable and controlled way. Only the slightly creaky plastics on the inside (it's brand new too), unsupportive seats and slightly arms-stretched driving position let it down.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2011, 08:22 AM   #21
JLR1969
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 520d M Sport

Quote:
Porsche have recommend they do a software update today and that should cure it. That's right...cure the thing that they don't know what they're curing
Not very reasuring for a 100k car. I am sure you will be back in an AMG soon though.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2011, 09:29 AM   #22
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

What is especially not reassuring is the fact I'e just had a call as the car has broken again this morning and they don't know why. So, nearly a week later, they're back at square one.

I'm edging ever closer to that AMG order......
Appreciate 0