E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Brake light, service engine light and Red car on lift

03-04-2011, 10:48 AM   #1
stanger
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2009 335i

Brake light, service engine light and Red car on lift

So, I get a service engine light this morning. Shortly there after a message about the gas cap. I tighten the cap up (yes it was loose) and then shortly there after think I need to reset the service engine light. so I enter the service engine procedure. Upon going in there, I just changed the oil the other day, so time to reset it, so as I was going in to do this, I some how reset the rear brake. Well now I get the famous Red car on the lift, red brake light in the upper left of dash and service engine light stays on. When I go into the reset mode for the service items, the rear brake one says "mls ----". From what I have been search for, I need to either remove and reconnect the rear sensor on the brake, or buy new ones and install them. I assume that these sensors are the tubes that look like little sir tubes that go to the top of the brake/caliper. Is the correct? Any help here is greatly appreciated.
Thanks for your time!
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2011, 12:30 PM   #2
ENINTY
Banned
Rep

Drives: 2006 325i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger View Post
So, I get a service engine light this morning. Shortly there after a message about the gas cap. I tighten the cap up (yes it was loose) and then shortly there after think I need to reset the service engine light. so I enter the service engine procedure. Upon going in there, I just changed the oil the other day, so time to reset it, so as I was going in to do this, I some how reset the rear brake. Well now I get the famous Red car on the lift, red brake light in the upper left of dash and service engine light stays on. When I go into the reset mode for the service items, the rear brake one says "mls ----". From what I have been search for, I need to either remove and reconnect the rear sensor on the brake, or buy new ones and install them. I assume that these sensors are the tubes that look like little sir tubes that go to the top of the brake/caliper. Is the correct? Any help here is greatly appreciated.
Thanks for your time!
First off, you can't reset the Service Engine Soon light thru the CBS menu, so you would have not been able to do it anyway. You can only reset the SES light with a scan tool. The gas cap message will reset itself after a few dirve cycles (i.e. a few days).

Now with the brake message, I think you've may have now gotten the system out of whack. I would first try to do what you suggest and just unplug and replug in the wear sensors. It may not work though because the sensors wear in two stages. If you are passed the first stage the system may not recongnize the sensor as new. The sensor for the rear is on the right rear brake and is two wires (sleeved) that go into the piston-side pad. The brake sensor wire terminates at a connector that is behind the fender liner at the rear of the wheel well. Just trace the wire from the sensor back to the connector.

A Forum member just posted pictures of the rear sensor (replacement) in the DIY section under rear brake pad replacement if that helps.
Appreciate 0