E90Post
 


GT Haus
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Wont be driving car for a year. Prep?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-15-2011, 08:45 PM   #1
spiike32
Major
spiike32's Avatar
22
Rep
1,060
Posts

 
Drives: Monaco Blue E92 335i
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: shy-town

iTrader: (8)

Wont be driving car for a year. Prep?

Hey all,

My company is sending me from Chicago to Australia for a year. So my car will basically sit in my garage for a year. What kind of prep is recommended?

Should I put it up on jack stands so the tires don't get flat spots?

Should I cover it?
__________________

Retired: FBO 335i and 318ti Current: C7 Stingray
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2011, 08:47 PM   #2
idrift4wd
Brigadier General
45
Rep
3,378
Posts

 
Drives: Three Hundred and Thirty Five
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Yonkers NY

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 BMW  [3.50]
cover will help with dust, and yes put your car on jack stands, fill up the tank.

cover any holes so no animals or anything can get it and make nest.

i would cry if i had to leave my car. there should be more tips coming along.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2011, 08:52 PM   #3
BTTGMan
Banned
9
Rep
539
Posts

 
Drives: 335xi coupe - space gray
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Pennsylvania

iTrader: (0)

Sell it. Start over when you get back. Congrats on the job. Expat in au is good times.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2011, 08:55 PM   #4
Michael Schott
Major
15
Rep
1,479
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 328i sedan
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Farmington Hills, MI

iTrader: (0)

I'm not sure but shouldn't you add Sta-Bil to the gas and put the battery on a trickle charger as well?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2011, 08:56 PM   #5
gary88
Ikea enthusiast
gary88's Avatar
United_States
101
Rep
7,995
Posts

 
Drives: '07 E92 335i
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [3.91]
Battery tender.
__________________

garyhebdingjr.com | flickr | Instagram@garyhebding
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2011, 08:59 PM   #6
spiike32
Major
spiike32's Avatar
22
Rep
1,060
Posts

 
Drives: Monaco Blue E92 335i
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: shy-town

iTrader: (8)

oh wow, never even thought of sta-bil and trickle charger. All great ideas.
__________________

Retired: FBO 335i and 318ti Current: C7 Stingray
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2011, 09:03 PM   #7
Johnny D
Major
Johnny D's Avatar
19
Rep
1,124
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Hot Springs, AR

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [4.58]
1)Fill tank to avoid moisture.
2)Add fuel stabilizer.
3)Check coolant to be sure it has correct mixture incase it gets cold.
4)I dont like to put cars on jacks, to many issues arrise with possibility of falling off and suspension issues. I suggest getting el-cheap-o tires and let the car sit naturally.
5)Get a car cover
6)I use to plug my exaust and intake when I left a vehicle in the barn so mice and squirrels wouldnt nest inside.
7)Fabreeze or air freshener or baking soda for the inside of the car.
8)remove negative terminal off battery. If its not being driven, no need for trickle charger. You will prob want to charge it when you return though.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2011, 09:11 PM   #8
RaceBlood
Going nowhere fast.
RaceBlood's Avatar
United_States
31
Rep
2,243
Posts

 
Drives: 2 wheels
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Downtown

iTrader: (0)

I think for just a year, why not have a friend use it once a month or two to keep it charged and running normal? Unless you want to cancel insurance, but you need Comprehensive regardless. (Fire-Flood-Theft).

There are plenty of us guys here on the great lakes chicago thread that would be happy to make sure it stays in good order. Its only a year. Start and drive it every 8-10 weeks.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2011, 09:12 PM   #9
quantumx
Second Lieutenant
quantumx's Avatar
United_States
3
Rep
280
Posts

 
Drives: Invisible
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Random

iTrader: (0)

A great checklist for storing a car is here:

http://www.porschenet.com/winter.html

I've stored my Porsche using this checklist for 6 months without any issues at all. Some tips would be using a maintainer over a trickle charger since it's a more clever system, making sure you replace some of your fluids prior to storage, maxing out your tire pressure, and adding the fuel stabilizer prior to filling your tank. Full cover would also help.

Good luck with the job!
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2011, 09:13 PM   #10
TotalBlackout
Private First Class
TotalBlackout's Avatar
United_States
1
Rep
147
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 TiAg 335i
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: KY

iTrader: (1)

Can you remove our batteries without consequence?

Clean clean everything.

Putting a fuel stabilizer/octane booster in the tank and running for ten minutes is a good idea. Have a plan to drain that fuel when you get back and add fresh again.

Get an oil change. depending how fresh your fluids already are.

But honestly, a year is a long time. I would make arrangements to sell it before leaving. Too much to worry about for a year
__________________
2008 335i Coupe TiAg - Cold Weather - Premium - Sport - Style 230 19's - SatNav - Active Steering/Cruise - Comfort Access - PDC
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2011, 09:16 PM   #11
BTTGMan
Banned
9
Rep
539
Posts

 
Drives: 335xi coupe - space gray
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Pennsylvania

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jntar View Post
1)Fill tank to avoid moisture.
2)Add fuel stabilizer.
3)Check coolant to be sure it has correct mixture incase it gets cold.
4)I dont like to put cars on jacks, to many issues arrise with possibility of falling off and suspension issues. I suggest getting el-cheap-o tires and let the car sit naturally.
5)Get a car cover
6)I use to plug my exaust and intake when I left a vehicle in the barn so mice and squirrels wouldnt nest inside.
7)Fabreeze or air freshener or baking soda for the inside of the car.
8)remove negative terminal off battery. If its not being driven, no need for trickle charger. You will prob want to charge it when you return though.
Great list
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2011, 09:45 PM   #12
tomz17
Second Lieutenant
5
Rep
251
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 335i
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Rochester

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceBlood View Post
I think for just a year, why not have a friend use it once a month or two to keep it charged and running normal? Unless you want to cancel insurance, but you need Comprehensive regardless. (Fire-Flood-Theft).

There are plenty of us guys here on the great lakes chicago thread that would be happy to make sure it stays in good order. Its only a year. Start and drive it every 8-10 weeks.
+1 on the having a friend use it once in a while... Letting everything get up to temperature by running the car for a few miles every few weeks will go a LONG way in preventing all sorts of problems.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2011, 11:11 PM   #13
bumere90
Grozniy
United_States
52
Rep
2,601
Posts

 
Drives: Carless
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: FL

iTrader: (12)

^ Too risky...
I agree with TotalBlackout sell it..too much to worry about.
__________________
-fatman
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2011, 11:24 PM   #14
Jlomb436
Lieutenant
13
Rep
465
Posts

 
Drives: 09 E90 Space Gray 335i
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

I only say this because if it happened to me, I'd be sad. My pops has 911 Porsche that he bought new, but maybe puts 300 miles on it a year ( i know, don't ask). He basically let it sit for about a year, and rats got in and completed destroyed the wiring harness. $9000 bill from Porsche later, the problem was fixed.

So +1 to sell or to have a buddy drive it often.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2011, 11:31 PM   #15
quantumx
Second Lieutenant
quantumx's Avatar
United_States
3
Rep
280
Posts

 
Drives: Invisible
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Random

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlomb436 View Post
I only say this because if it happened to me, I'd be sad. My pops has 911 Porsche that he bought new, but maybe puts 300 miles on it a year ( i know, don't ask). He basically let it sit for about a year, and rats got in and completed destroyed the wiring harness. $9000 bill from Porsche later, the problem was fixed.

So +1 to sell or to have a buddy drive it often.
Ouch, that's awful! Did he check it at all during that year? The longest I've ever had my 911 stored is about 7 months and I checked on it once every month or so just to see if anything had taken residence. I also blocked all of the exhaust vents, etc., with a material that is for that purpose. Car was stored in an off-site storage facility that probably has its fair share of rats, too.

Still, selling the car might be the easiest option out of them all. +1 to selling it, here. Storage can be a bit of a hassle, especially if you're in a different country for that time!
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2011, 11:44 PM   #16
bmwpride335i
Major
United_States
23
Rep
1,412
Posts

 
Drives: 07 SUPERCHARGED 680HP VETTE
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA

iTrader: (1)

if you really want to keep the car, i would let family/very very close friend drive it for a little bit once every week. trust me, unless they have ferrari's, they will not mind it.

not long, just few miles per week should do the job. (10-15 is a good distance.) gas is on them.

best solution? sell it for a good price, keep the money, save some good money on top of it by the time you come back from AUS, get a better car! (F30 may be?)
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2011, 11:50 PM   #17
///M3NACE
Banned
///M3NACE's Avatar
60
Rep
3,907
Posts

 
Drives: E36 M3, E36 Vert , E90 N52
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Downers Grove, IL

iTrader: (5)

where in chicago? Let me know if you want me to drive it and stuff haha
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2011, 01:42 AM   #18
Jlomb436
Lieutenant
13
Rep
465
Posts

 
Drives: 09 E90 Space Gray 335i
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by briandev View Post
Ouch, that's awful! Did he check it at all during that year? The longest I've ever had my 911 stored is about 7 months and I checked on it once every month or so just to see if anything had taken residence. I also blocked all of the exhaust vents, etc., with a material that is for that purpose. Car was stored in an off-site storage facility that probably has its fair share of rats, too.

Still, selling the car might be the easiest option out of them all. +1 to selling it, here. Storage can be a bit of a hassle, especially if you're in a different country for that time!
Yea, I'm pretty sure he took no preventative measures other then a trickle charger. However, that's a bill I simply couldn't afford to foot.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2011, 01:51 AM   #19
qclik
Captain
qclik's Avatar
Hong Kong
8
Rep
702
Posts

 
Drives: e92
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: seattle

iTrader: (20)

sell it, and after 1 year buy another one. you're gonna let the car value depreciate over 1 year without using it, why not just sell it for $$$ and u could buy one next year with less $
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2011, 02:15 AM   #20
x96283
BAMF, with a stick.
United_States
0
Rep
97
Posts

 
Drives: E93 335i, Wrangler Rubicon LJ
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Beantown

iTrader: (3)

I followed generally the same recipe (except for the stands/ tire portion).

I'll let you know how the resurrection goes in about two months

I have seen one BMW in Afghanistan over that past 10+ months. Can't wait to drive my 335!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2011, 02:30 AM   #21
FVM3
Major General
FVM3's Avatar
115
Rep
5,739
Posts

 
Drives: e92 m3, f30 328i
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (2)

put in the storage
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2011, 01:47 PM   #22
tmo24
Captain
tmo24's Avatar
United_States
11
Rep
911
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 335i e90 Msport
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Las Vegas

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumere90 View Post
^ Too risky...
I agree with TotalBlackout sell it..too much to worry about.
My thought exactly. It's going to sit there am depreciate for a year without you even getting to enjoy it. And you have to worry about it too. Sell it for what it's worth now and start again in a year. Buy one a year from now that is less that what you sell yours for now.
__________________
2010 335i AW e90 Msport
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:59 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST