E90Post

ECS BMW

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > This time, it's for real.....

03-16-2011, 09:19 AM   #45
charliesum
First Lieutenant

Drives: 335i

hope you dont mind Andrew showing the add but just clicking on the sound byte sends shivers!!!!!!
good man
http://www.mcgurk.com/CarDetails/200...nturismo_S_310
      03-16-2011, 08:20 PM   #46
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom

Drives: Merc SLS AMG & ML63 AMG

Oh my goodness...I insured the Maserati today and it cost me an EXTRA 40 over the annual premium I pay for the Porsche - I actually thought it would be slightly less given the big drop off in performance and value compared to the Porsche (it's worth at least 20k less than the Turbo).

Anyway, 40 extra wouldn't be the end of the world if I didn't have just 4 weeks of my annual policy left By my working out, the Maser is going to cost in the region of an extra 200-400 for an annual policy compared with the Porsche (depending on how much of the 40 was Admiral's fee for making a change....I forgot to ask ).

I also did some investigating on other running costs....
  • 2 year or 12k mile service.....1,500 - luckily, my missus's dad is good mates with the service manager at Graypaul Ferrari/Maserati in Nottingham and he said he can get this down to 'under' 800.
  • 1 year extended warranty (should I wish to buy one in September when the manufacturer one expires ).....a snip at 2,500

Ahh stuff it...will I care when I've got those gorgeous looks and incredible sounds to live with everyday?

Nah...as long as I avoid any temptation to modify it then I can use my usual mod-budget to run the thing! Shouldn't be too difficult, there's pretty much nothing available for it....which is probably a bit of a blessing for me

All set for Saturday collection and I'm about 1 million times more excited about this than I was the Porsche (look, I've even change my avatar early!)
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2011, 01:58 AM   #47
peterg1965
Brigadier General
United Kingdom

Drives: MY12 Range Rover Sport HSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmnuts View Post
[*]1 year extended warranty (should I wish to buy one in September when the manufacturer one expires ).....a snip at 2,500

Sorry, I don't understand this point, please explain. September is over 160 days away. The chance of you owning the Maser in September is statistically not very high Andrew
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2011, 02:41 AM   #48
charliesum
First Lieutenant

Drives: 335i

when i had my 4200 gt Andrew I found Tesco insurance ( on advice from meridien maserati dealer principal!) covered me for less than a third of all the others !! maybe worth a try mate
      03-17-2011, 03:02 AM   #49
rogerxp
Major General
United Kingdom

Drives: M3 Comp Pack / QQ+2 Tekna

Garage List
Welcome to the fun-house; my insurance near as damn it doubled as when I got my 4200. Shame I didn't check before buying it. 12mpg didn't help the pocket either!! Oh, but that sound (you got any tunnels nearby???).
Gone -: 370Z GT Roadster; BMW X3 3.0d xdrive M Sport; E46 330i M Sport Coupe; Mazda RX8 231; Nissan 350Z GT Roadster; BMW E90 330d M Sport; BMW E92 335i SE; Maserati 4200; Nissan 350Z; Honda S2000; Astra Coupe Turbo; Ford Probe
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2011, 03:13 AM   #50
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom

Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterg1965 View Post
Sorry, I don't understand this point, please explain. September is over 160 days away. The chance of you owning the Maser in September is statistically not very high Andrew
I had the same thought, who's taking the money? It's got to be better odds than whether a bear shits in the woods

I bet it would sound the nuts on a dyno
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2011, 03:17 AM   #51
creepy coupe
Major General

Drives: M235i

Garage List
2009 335i  [0.00]
They look Shite, Sound Shite and more than likely drive Shite

Appreciate 0
      03-17-2011, 03:30 AM   #52
davyk31
Brigadier General

Drives: Audi SQ5 & Golf GTD

Your renewal insurance might not be as bad, Admiral always shaft you when changing through the year. They also do exactly the same with their renewal letters, when you go onto Go Compare or something like it you will get the same cover often for hundreds less and they easily match it. They will also match any online quote from any of their sister companies like Elephant / Bell etc.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2011, 04:44 AM   #53
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterg1965 View Post
September is over 160 days away.
You actually worked this out?? Too much time....you need to get a job or something

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliesum View Post
when i had my 4200 gt Andrew I found Tesco insurance
I've tried to get a quote from them - they declined me As soon as I put the car's value in and my 3 points, up popped the page directing me to Tesco Compare as they wouldn't cover me directly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerxp View Post
Oh, but that sound (you got any tunnels nearby???).
Tunnels? M1 motorway bridge....will that work? I don't live in the cote d'azur you know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotcoupe View Post
I had the same thought, who's taking the money? It's got to be better odds than whether a bear shits in the woods

I bet it would sound the nuts on a dyno
I wouldn't put my money on it....play amongst yourselves!

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy coupe View Post
They look Shite, Sound Shite and more than likely drive Shite
There you go again talking about that M3. If you don't like it, buy something decent

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyk31 View Post
Your renewal insurance might not be as bad, Admiral always shaft you when changing through the year. They also do exactly the same with their renewal letters, when you go onto Go Compare or something like it you will get the same cover often for hundreds less and they easily match it. They will also match any online quote from any of their sister companies like Elephant / Bell etc.
Best quote on Gocompare etc is 1350 from Admiral so I guess that's what I'll be paying next month.

A bit disappointing when the Turbo was around the 1,000 mark and it's significantly faster and more expensive.

Last edited by Palmnuts; 03-17-2011 at 04:55 AM.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2011, 07:14 AM   #54
rogerxp
Major General
United Kingdom

Drives: M3 Comp Pack / QQ+2 Tekna

Garage List
Quote:
Tunnels? M1 motorway bridge....will that work? I don't live in the cote d'azur you know!

Best quote on Gocompare etc is 1350 from Admiral so I guess that's what I'll be paying next month.

A bit disappointing when the Turbo was around the 1,000 mark and it's significantly faster and more expensive.
True, not too many tunnels around, but well worth planning your trip around one if out and about. I completely forgot about the tunnels going under Manchester Airport under the day before I sold it; nearly backed out of the sale based on that 20 second blast alone (then remembered all the other reasons to get rid ).

My insurance was 175p/m (2,100p/a) so that might make you feel a little better mate .

Honestly though, enjoy it, it's truly a great experience owning a car like that (even the poor mans version I had) and touch-wood, nowt will spoil it.
Gone -: 370Z GT Roadster; BMW X3 3.0d xdrive M Sport; E46 330i M Sport Coupe; Mazda RX8 231; Nissan 350Z GT Roadster; BMW E90 330d M Sport; BMW E92 335i SE; Maserati 4200; Nissan 350Z; Honda S2000; Astra Coupe Turbo; Ford Probe
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2011, 11:58 AM   #55
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Germany

Drives: Audi R8 V10, BMW 330d E91 LCI

Garage List
2009 335i  [4.39]
Quote:
I know the Turbo is some peoples' dream car and it is an absolutely awesome performance car with the most sublime suspension, crazy performance and the most wonderful tactile 'feel'....it's pretty much without peer for the way it drives.

But it's never been a car that I've LOVED, the looks don't excite me, it sounds pretty dismal and theres little sense of occasion....look, I've never even changed my avatar photo so what does that say!! Oh, it also broke down and couldn't be fixed for a week - although it works now, the dealer still isn't sure what happened and if what they've done to fix it will work.

If the love ain't there, it just ain't there and theres no point continuing to pay for such a car if ultimately, I don't really love it.
I can understand that. I drove in one a few times (as passenger), and could never really feel the fascination for it. Although it must be a great car to drive - the German sport auto just tested the new Porsche Turbo and Porsche Turbo S and they were quite impressed with it.

Still, where I work all the bosses drive one, and in Luxembourg Porkers are more common than Volkswagen Golfs, so it's kinda boring to have one. Still looks a bit like a flattened Beetle! And if it then breaks down and no one's sure why...would put me off too!

Quote:
I was almost certain that I'd get a new C63 AMG in the summer (and may still do so if what I've just bought doesn't work out)
Well now I recognize the good ol' Palmnuts again! The facelifted C63 should have a better gearbox, which was I believe your only real issue with it (besides having to own a petrol station). Me, I'm driving in lots of taxis, that's Mercedes enough for me.
Quote:
but a few days ago a guy I know bought a similar car to one that I considered a few months ago. I had a drive in it and was so impressed this time round that I started investigating what affordable examples were about. And today, I was offered a deal that meant 5 months worth of Porsche ownership has basically cost me the princely sum of 900 :thumb: (plus retro-fit cruise )

Well, with an offer like that I just couldn't turn down selling it and replacing it with this....
C'mon, do some proper photos. After your week-end-fetish-polish!! I don't dig that red interior right now, but maybe it's just the photos that don't do it justice. Then again, my imagination just shows me some chick in black underwear on these red seats...hmmmm....

But seriously, it's a damn hot looking ride. There are quite a few here in Luxembourg (especially now that the weather's better you begin to see them again), and each time I hear that exhaust sound I think "damn that's cool". The lines of the car are really great too, a pure Italian class act.

Actually, I also considered buying one (the predecessor) before deciding on my 335i, so I can totally understand the fascination.

Quote:
So, what's it like?

Well, it's a Maserati Granturismo 4.7S MC Shift with all the right options (Bose, Nav, Bluetooth, full leather and alcantara interior etc etc), it's a 2 year old, absolutely pristine example with just 7k on the clock and, as I didn't buy it from a main dealer, it's currently one of the cheapest of it's type for sale in the UK (the only one cheaper has considerably more mileage). It's still under warranty, it's got a Palmball-spec interior (i.e. not black) and, with just 440bhp, it's probably the slowest car I've owned for 3 years.

However, having now owned what is probably one of the fastest cars on the planet and having very little opportunity to enjoy it, I'm comfortable with moving to something a bit slower as the sense of occasion with the Maserati is on another planet to the Porsche. All you pesky M3 / tuned 335i drivers will probably be able to nail my new car now!
Well nothing new here Andrew... You know, it's not only the car, it's also the driver!
Quote:
For those who remember why I didn't buy one before, the appalling seats...why has this not put me off this time? Well, it's all about relativity.

When I looked at one of these a few months ago, I was coming out of the C63 which simply has the best seats of...well, anything IMO. The Porsche seats aren't as good as the C63's and as I've got used to those, getting out of the Porsche and into the Maserati means I don't notice the seats to be all that bad now. Funny how that works isn't it!

A couple of final things.it - firstly, it'll be so good to get back in a car that sounds great. The Maserati has a flat-plane crank V8 so sounds exactly like a Ferrari and as it's the MC Shift model (semi-auto), it has a sport by-pass button for the exhaust which sounds delicious.

Secondly, it's so pleasant to drive a car that doesn't rattle, creak, buzz etc. The Porsche has been plagued with such noises since I've had it (and indeed so were the other two 911's I had as courtesy cars over the last 5 months), yet eveytime I've driven one of these Maserati's they've been nothing but well built, solid and totally rattle free. Again, funny that....given you'd expect it to be very much the other way round.

Ready for the flaming now.....
No need! It's an excellent decision. For me a car that has much more fascination and charisma than a Porker (or a BMW, I have to admit). The only cars coming close to that for me would be Aston Martins or other supercars. Of course, it won't drive as fast and nimble around the corners due to its considerable weight, but as you said, as a sportive Gran Turismo it's perfect. I just hope you won't have to maintenance it because I know that the pieces are DAMN expensive...

Looking forward to seeing that car in person!!

Alpina_B3_Lux
      03-18-2011, 12:06 PM   #56
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Germany

Drives: Audi R8 V10, BMW 330d E91 LCI

Garage List
2009 335i  [4.39]
Quote:
Nah...as long as I avoid any temptation to modify it then I can use my usual mod-budget to run the thing! Shouldn't be too difficult, there's pretty much nothing available for it....which is probably a bit of a blessing for me
I think the only real thing for it is a dual supercharger kit (Novitec and Modena offer these). With that, you would get to around 550hp but it would cost 30.000 EUR.

Alpina_B3_Lux

Last edited by Alpina_B3_Lux; 03-18-2011 at 12:12 PM.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2011, 12:26 PM   #57
MattOz
Captain
United Kingdom

Drives: E91 335i M Sport - LCI 6MT

Garage List
2006 BMW E60 M5  [0.00]
Andrew,

What time are you picking the car up tomorrow. Might have to swing by and meet you!

Cheers
Matt
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2011, 03:41 PM   #58
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattOz View Post
Andrew,

What time are you picking the car up tomorrow. Might have to swing by and meet you!

Cheers
Matt
Be there at around 9.30am. Not looking forward to it at all now
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2011, 04:20 PM   #59
MattOz
Captain
United Kingdom

Drives: E91 335i M Sport - LCI 6MT

Garage List
2006 BMW E60 M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Be there at around 9.30am. Not looking forward to it at all now

I'll try and pop over, but clearly don't want to cramp your style!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2011, 04:40 PM   #60
ChrisE91
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom

Drives: 2007 E91 320D M Sport

This is my second favourite car ever made. First being the Pegani Zonda F Roadster.
      03-20-2011, 03:49 AM   #61
335diesel
Brigadier General
United Kingdom

Drives: 335d Touring

Garage List
Pics?!

E91 335d SE Touring

Also Land Rover Puma Defender 110 XS station wagon
Appreciate 0