E90Post
 


GT Haus
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Brake replacement question



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-14-2011, 09:04 PM   #1
P2
Private First Class
4
Rep
188
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 325i Silver/Black
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: NW Chicago Land

iTrader: (0)

Brake replacement question

At 53K I am just getting the red BRAKE light and red car on lift. Of course, as the manual says, I need new brakes. Now if I go to the condition based maintenance computer, It says 14K for the front and 8K for the rear.

Anyone think that is odd that I would get a "replace your brakes now red light" and I still have 14k and 8K left?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 08:20 AM   #2
968tomr
Private First Class
2
Rep
158
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 E92 335i
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: US:IN

iTrader: (0)

I cannot tell you the issue for sure without seeing your car...

But,

The CBS calculates how long your brakes should last based on how you drive. There is also a wear sensor that is housed in the brake pad (inside front driver, inside rear passenger) that, when worn, will cause the brake indicator to illuminate. You may need new pads and the CBS just doesn't know it.

Brake indicators can be caused by other issues though. You may have low brake fluid, or you may need to change your brake fluid (check the CBS), or you may just have a brake fault.

I hope this helps a bit.

-Tom
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 03:08 AM   #3
E90 Freak
Lieutenant
United_States
12
Rep
498
Posts

 
Drives: E90 325i|E28 528 |E36 M3
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (10)

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by P2 View Post
At 53K I am just getting the red BRAKE light and red car on lift. Of course, as the manual says, I need new brakes. Now if I go to the condition based maintenance computer, It says 14K for the front and 8K for the rear.

Anyone think that is odd that I would get a "replace your brakes now red light" and I still have 14k and 8K left?
I'm having the same problem on my 2006 E90 does your brake light stay on at all.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 04:05 PM   #4
P2
Private First Class
4
Rep
188
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 325i Silver/Black
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: NW Chicago Land

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90 Freak View Post
I'm having the same problem on my 2006 E90 does your brake light stay on at all.
It stayed on for 2 days and went off. 7k left the computer says. I did a visual check and the rears are really thin. I'm not going to fool around. I'm replacing them tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 04:08 PM   #5
P2
Private First Class
4
Rep
188
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 325i Silver/Black
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: NW Chicago Land

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 968tomr View Post
But,

The CBS calculates how long your brakes should last based on how you drive. There is also a wear sensor that is housed in the brake pad (inside front driver, inside rear passenger) that, when worn, will cause the brake indicator to illuminate. You may need new pads and the CBS just doesn't know it.

Brake indicators can be caused by other issues though. You may have low brake fluid, or you may need to change your brake fluid (check the CBS), or you may just have a brake fault.

I hope this helps a bit.

-Tom
Ya, that does make sense. I thought the CBS was reading off the wear sensor, obviously not. It's the rears. They are very thin. Even though the light went off I'm getting new ones tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:11 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST