E90Post

Lux Angel Eyes

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Engine fan always ON

02-23-2016, 08:36 AM   #1
smilo
Private
France
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 320d - White Sport

Engine fan always ON

Hi everybody,
Can someone help how to diagnose an engine fan on E71, that works all time, even the engine just started and it is very cold.. if existing related document or quick tutorial ? (similar of existing ones for changing VO code for exemple) or just some instructions

Thanks a lot
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2016, 10:10 AM   #2
PichaDis11
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 N52

Quote:
Originally Posted by smilo View Post
Hi everybody,
Can someone help how to diagnose an engine fan on E71, that works all time, even the engine just started and it is very cold.. if existing related document or quick tutorial ? (similar of existing ones for changing VO code for exemple) or just some instructions

Thanks a lot
This is the E9x forum, I'm not sure you'd get much help here.

To your question, the best start could be to scan for codes. From there you should be able to pin point the problem. Normally when the fan behaves that way, it means some component in the cooling system has failed. Range from coolant temp switch/sensor, thermostat etc.
Good luck.
      02-25-2016, 04:18 PM   #3
Mik325tds
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by smilo View Post
Hi everybody,

Thanks a lot
Usually, it is the fan controller itself. You can diagnose it by measuring the PWM signal that controls the speed of the fan. If you have INPA or Ediabas you can control the fan speed and measure the voltage on that wire. If the fan still runs full speed all the time, it is the controller(driver) of the fan. Usually, you'll need a complete new fan assy.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2016, 04:21 PM   #4
Delta0311
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92

Did you scan for codes to see if your water pump is faulty? A faulty water pump will cause the fan to run virtually all the time, even right on start up.
You can detect right away those that are going to be shaky, and that will fall behind and those that are very hungry, and that hunger you will have to develop. You gotta create a goal for yourself whatever that may be, a short term goal and a long term goal and you gotta go after that. And if you donít see it, and if you donít believe it, who else will?
Arnold Schwarzenegger
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2016, 04:22 PM   #5
smilo
Private
France
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 320d - White Sport

Thanks guys,
How to diagnose this with INPA ? There is a tutorial that I can follow ?
I made lot of coding and manipulation on Fxx but never for Exx (except changing a VO code)
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2016, 08:25 AM   #6
testdriver
Private First Class
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6spd

Do you experience over heating problem? It happens on my E90.... the fan goes to maximum speed just few mins on start up, and when driving... it shows yellow to red to yellow overheating warning lights.

The result is for a nearly dead water pump. The pump in E90 is electric power and when it stop working, the car sense unusual high Temp so it put the fan on maximum speed to cool it down. Since the water pump is not belt driven so you cannot tell if it is working or not from outside.

Hope this help.
      05-04-2016, 02:46 AM   #7
e92days
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik325tds View Post
Usually, it is the fan controller itself. You can diagnose it by measuring the PWM signal that controls the speed of the fan. If you have INPA or Ediabas you can control the fan speed and measure the voltage on that wire. If the fan still runs full speed all the time, it is the controller(driver) of the fan. Usually, you'll need a complete new fan assy.
Are you saying that, if I wanted to, I could control the fan and keep it on all the time just like "Max cooling" on the JB4? I've been looking for a way to do this!
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 09:47 AM   #8
Mik325tds
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92days View Post
Are you saying that, if I wanted to, I could control the fan and keep it on all the time just like "Max cooling" on the JB4? I've been looking for a way to do this!
Technically, yes. But you'd have to have a computer or tablet running all the time to control the fan speed. Also, there is a timeout for that command. So after 30 seconds or so the control is returned to the ECU. Probably easier to connect the control line to a resistor divider electrically.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 10:53 AM   #9
e92days
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik325tds View Post
Technically, yes. But you'd have to have a computer or tablet running all the time to control the fan speed. Also, there is a timeout for that command. So after 30 seconds or so the control is returned to the ECU. Probably easier to connect the control line to a resistor divider electrically.
Hm, thanks for the info. I'll look into it a little more!
Appreciate 0