E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > 335I slowing down?

03-11-2007, 12:29 AM   #45
Evo8MRto335I
Captain
Spain
Rep

Drives: 2009 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSimeon View Post
plus their tires go to shit after about 11k miles. and at about $1200 for a whole set. since it's AWD.
You are right about the price, it is like $260 each plus balancing, tire dispossal fee and what not but remember, these factory Evo tires have the best rating also(high grip soft compound), they are very sticky and there is a factory Mitusbishi sticker on the drivers side door that is a warning/caution labels that tells you that the oem tires wear out faster than standard tires.

I just happen to had purchased 4 tires for my Evo 9 at a price of $85 each, they are generic and I bought them tax free from a military Air base in Tucson. So I paid $320 and they came balanced and installed already, the brand is Fuzion which is derivated from Firestone.

On the Evo 8 I had Yokohamas AV 100 which cost me about $130 each. You need to balance things out..

By the way your AWD comment is totally irrelevant or non sense(choose one), actually the AWD wears out the tires more evenly, unlike rwd or fwd cars.

Peace

Carlos
      03-11-2007, 08:55 AM   #46
CoralRedPlz
restless
Rep

Drives: Space Grey, Coral Red 335i

although he got a bit carried away and overzealous in making his point, i agree with herbz about how dumb the "i can go faster for $15k less" statement is when talking about the two cars. they are vastly different cars in different classes.

u can however use that statement when comparing the 335i to say a cayman/911 or some MB's, since they are great combos of sportiness, luxury and technology.
      03-11-2007, 09:00 AM   #47
CoralRedPlz
restless
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e36jakeo View Post
What's the point of a fast car if it doesn't feel fast?
bc most people would rather go fast and have the car be smooth than raw and unrefined. thats why u dont see many lotus' on the street, even though they outhandle and accelerate nearly every car on the road.
      03-11-2007, 11:32 AM   #48
MSimeon
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: E92 335I BSM

Send a message via AIM to MSimeon Send a message via Yahoo to MSimeon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evo8MRto335I View Post
You are right about the price, it is like $260 each plus balancing, tire dispossal fee and what not but remember, these factory Evo tires have the best rating also(high grip soft compound), they are very sticky and there is a factory Mitusbishi sticker on the drivers side door that is a warning/caution labels that tells you that the oem tires wear out faster than standard tires.

I just happen to had purchased 4 tires for my Evo 9 at a price of $85 each, they are generic and I bought them tax free from a military Air base in Tucson. So I paid $320 and they came balanced and installed already, the brand is Fuzion which is derivated from Firestone.

On the Evo 8 I had Yokohamas AV 100 which cost me about $130 each. You need to balance things out..

By the way your AWD comment is totally irrelevant or non sense(choose one), actually the AWD wears out the tires more evenly, unlike rwd or fwd cars.

Peace

Carlos
The relevence to the AWD comment i made still stands. Since the tires wear out more evenly, you would need to replace all four tires when they wore out correct? as opposed to a rear wheel drive, where the rears wear out faster than the fronts, making it cheaper to own a rear wheel drive than a AWD-When discussing the topic of tires.
      03-11-2007, 11:40 AM   #49
nikegunit
$$$
Jordan
Rep

Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrM View Post
It might be perception!
agreed. drive 40mph in an SUV and it feels like your whipping by fast, go 40mpg in a BMW and its like you're cruising. mind you that BMW speedo have been known to be 3-4mph off
:mad:
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2007, 01:03 PM   #50
Evo8MRto335I
Captain
Spain
Rep

Drives: 2009 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSimeon View Post
The relevence to the AWD comment i made still stands. Since the tires wear out more evenly, you would need to replace all four tires when they wore out correct? as opposed to a rear wheel drive, where the rears wear out faster than the fronts, making it cheaper to own a rear wheel drive than a AWD-When discussing the topic of tires.
I see what you mean, you have a point but the real thing is that the tires on the AWD don't spin at all in 99.9% of the times, the fact that they wear out evenly and slower.

Yeah, like you say, you might have to replace all 4 tires at once but how often?

Just for comparisson, I had a WRX years ago wich I drove for exactly 2 years before I traded for my Evo 8 MR, the tires were Potenzas but there were not high grip soft compund and that is why they were perfectly fine after 20000 miles when I traded in.
That is a good example of AWD wearing the tires evenly and lasting a long time.

Carlos
      03-12-2007, 12:38 AM   #51
MSimeon
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: E92 335I BSM

Send a message via AIM to MSimeon Send a message via Yahoo to MSimeon
Quote:
I see what you mean, you have a point but the real thing is that the tires on the AWD don't spin at all in 99.9% of the times, the fact that they wear out evenly and slower.

Yeah, like you say, you might have to replace all 4 tires at once but how often?

Just for comparisson, I had a WRX years ago wich I drove for exactly 2 years before I traded for my Evo 8 MR, the tires were Potenzas but there were not high grip soft compund and that is why they were perfectly fine after 20000 miles when I traded in.
That is a good example of AWD wearing the tires evenly and lasting a long time.

Carlos
that's good to know. i was just making the comparison between the original tires on the Evo's. from what i have heard is that they are extra soft and need replacing alot more often than say a stock WRX's. but i understand your point as well.
      03-12-2007, 11:16 AM   #52
Lucid4000
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: 335i AW Sport 6MT

Garage List
2006 330i Sport  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to Lucid4000
I have to say i find that if you drive your car harder it will probably be more powerful. Your car learns your driving habits and will probably keep the car at its limit to compensate for your aggressive driving.

Mobile Addictions
718.877.7700 or info@mobile-addictions.com
www.mobile-addictions.com
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2007, 03:28 AM   #53
Panoz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: E92 Space Grey 335i ,Aero Kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJUSS2NASTY View Post
Why does my 335I feel slow? The clutch also feels like its slipping. I have a little more then 1200 miles on it. Does anybody else feel like their car is slowing down? Is it likely for the clutch to start slipping at 1200 miles? Only other manual car I've driven was a 92 civic hatchback (which was my toy so i can learn to drive stick). Anybody got any tips on driving manual? Or know of any common newbie mistakes?
I feel the same thing as well... I have now done 7000 km and I feel that car is slower than its used to be.

The 6-cylinder engine needs actually 7000-8000 to perform the best out of its power but I feel like the car is getting slower instead (for the last two weeks). I'm driving nuts.

A guy I know, reffered on an attribute that BMW's main computer has. Its called "adaptive value" (dme status) and it supposed to redifine engine's performance according to your driving. In other words ,driving the car slowly for a certain time , the main CPU of the car makes reduces the power output in order to fit your driving style. If you need to suddenly "push" the engine the car won't actually gives you the 100% of its power but only the 90%-95%(so we are driving nuts and cant sleep on the nights).
In order to bring the whole power back you need to "drive it like you stolen it" for quite some miles in order to "wake up" the engine's power

Has anyone heard about this before? Could this be a fact?

Procede V4 , Catless DPs, Forge FMIC, Injen Intake, VK Oilcooler, Hartge Quads Exhaust, Modded CDV, Synapse BOV Kit, BMW Performance 335i SSK Kit, P3 vent boost gauge

Space Grey 335i -> See more pics HERE
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2007, 06:28 PM   #54
IMJUSS2NASTY
Banned
Rep

Drives: BMW 335I MONTEGO BLUE

I Have Heard Of Adaptive Driving, And What Your Saying Makes Alot Of Sense To Me. I Guess I Shoulda Driven It Hard Right From The Get Go, Rather Than Pamper It.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2007, 10:39 PM   #55
herbz
hi
United_States
Rep

Drives: '86 325e

Quote:

Wow! does that include tuning? labor? soo... for about $6000 you can get upgrade brakes, upgrade superwide tires and rims to accomodate such power, then suspension and off course cosmethics too right? perhaps a nice metalic paint right?javascript:add_smilie(":bowrofl:")
as far as the engine, yes, you can buy an S50 with transmission for $5k. my initial estimate of $7k included shipping, transportation, and a place to store the engine. these would obviously have to be worked out. depends on if you're doing this project yourself (which most people do given the relative simplicity of the swap compared ot others), or doing the less wise option of paying a "professional" to do it for you.

also, the $5k is more than reasonable for paying the machine shop to do some significant work on an engine. here's a quote from someone in another thread on another bmw forum.

Quote:
All the machine work,
install cams----------------------------------donated
Cylinder bore x 6 --------------------------$168
Crank polish--------------------------------$63
3 angle Valve grind------------------------$431
Valve guides R&R--------------------------$156
Clean block---------------------------------$81
Crankshaft balancing---------------------$290
Assemble short block (basic)------------$366
Resurface block to 16rl-------------------$102
Main bearing set---------------------------$209
Rod bearing set----------------------------$89
Cam chain tensioner----------------------$141
Resurface cylinder head to ~16rl-------$60
timing chains-------------------------------$170
port and polish head---------------------$ donated
Total-----------------------------------------$2326
he basically got his entire engine block and head beefed up to accomodate the power of a turbo for well under $3000. this would leave over $2000 to buy and install a turbocharger, which again, is more than reasonable, even if you pay someone to do it.. might as well throw in some pistons and rods with the money left over (i remind you that S50/S52 parts are not expensive)

as far as paint and cosmetics, you're right, you don't even need to do that shit, rims, brakes, and suspension is enough to make it looks sick.

now, i'm not completely disagreeing with you. there are other platforms which are probably better and cheaper than the e30, but that just reinforces my point that buying a mainstream japanese riceburner is not really serious if you're serious about cars.

the main problem, obviously, is access to a garage and tools. if you can get that, then it really isn't all that hard. of course, many people can't get that, and don't want to get that, so they pay someone to do it.

however, many people also can get that, and contrary to what you said, the S50/S52/M50 and even S14 swap are all immensely popular and done all the time to E30's. if you didn't know that, i assume you haven't been to a drag strip and seen E30's run with V8 supercharged American muscle, let alone the WRX guys (nice as they are) running 14's with their TBE and tune.

the e30 community to this day still thrives, just visit www.r3vlimited.com, the poster base there is about 100000x more knowledgable than 99% of car forums out there, imo.

anyway, i meant no offense to you or your personal beliefs, i'm just saying,

if you LIKE the WRX/STi/Evo as a car, buying it is perfectly fine.

if you're buying it ONLY based on speed per dollar, well, i think you're pretty retarded. there's alot of better options out there. i think even we're in agreement on that.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2007, 01:20 AM   #56
lkraven
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: E92 335i

Man...

Lots of bashing and elitism here... I agree with the posters who have said that this not a proper comparison. The cars are completely different in personality... there is nothing else currently in the 335's class when it comes to a blend of performance and luxury in its price point.

The next applicable Benz is another 15k upwards, and a super-tuned Evo can send a Proceded 335i to an embarassing second place finish for the same money or less... but they're not the same thing.

EVOs are great cars. STis too-- so are 335is... hard to compare them though. A 335i is also much faster than a 740iL-- but no one in the market for a 740iL is looking at a 335i.

Lots of blind fan-boism going on here... EVOs are probably the best bang for the buck if you primarily care about putting horses to the wheels. And you can get there cheaper AND faster than you could with an equivalent 335i.

That being said, I'm fairly certain there's not too many 335i owners who are looking to trade in their cars for an EVO, no matter how tuned.

Carry on carrying on.

-LK
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2007, 03:47 PM   #57
Emil@RENN-ART
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: AW 335i Coupe

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to Emil@RENN-ART
If you really get down to it, you can't beat the EVO on bang for the buck.. It's just a great overall package...

Obviously, the reason the 335i is creating such motion, is that the car has got other amazing qualities and power potential like few other cars available today.

I just think it's great that we have these choices available to us today..

In 2002 if someone told me that in 2007 there will be 2 AWD turbo monsters, and a BMW with twin turbos available in the US market, I would've probably laughed pretty hard.

The chip/exhaust route will be the way to go for most (our own 335i chip will be available in about a month), since it's simple, cost-efficient and gives more power that most people can even handle.
Arlington Heights, IL
847-593-1066
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2007, 04:40 PM   #58
Panoz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: E92 Space Grey 335i ,Aero Kit

I think this have been gone totaly off-topic

The issue here was the "slowing -down " that some people are facng after some time.
What could it be possibly be? We just get used to teh power or the "adaptive value" programming?

Procede V4 , Catless DPs, Forge FMIC, Injen Intake, VK Oilcooler, Hartge Quads Exhaust, Modded CDV, Synapse BOV Kit, BMW Performance 335i SSK Kit, P3 vent boost gauge

Space Grey 335i -> See more pics HERE
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2007, 05:30 PM   #59
mesier1111
Banned
Rep

Drives: 335i coupe, titanium

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrM View Post
You know, if he thinks it is slow and is comparing it to an Evo or an STI, then maybe it is best if he get an Evo or an STI. The 335 is not even remotely supposed to compete with those two cars. The 335 is a refined luxury/sport sedan that makes great power. The Evo and the STI are designed to be "boy racers." They have large turbos with lag so they feel fast.

The 335 is not that type car. If you want that feel, then buy one of them.
I disagree........if you look at the real 0-60 times, and not the ones BMW is running you will see a 335i will run neck and neck with an Evo or STI.....proof is in the pudding and I just ran neck and neck with my buddies Evo MR edition, he was floored and couldn't believe that he had to beat the balls off his and still couldn't edge me out.

I swear my car is getting faster as I break her in.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2007, 05:42 PM   #60
lkraven
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panoz View Post
I think this have been gone totaly off-topic

The issue here was the "slowing -down " that some people are facng after some time.
What could it be possibly be? We just get used to teh power or the "adaptive value" programming?
Well, I don't know that anyone has got any quantitative measurement to determine whether or not the car has actually slowed down. Dyno charts, 1/4 mile times, or anything showing a real, substantial difference.

More than likely, I think it's just a perception... speed is supposed to feel a certain way, or people think it feels a certain way, and as people get used to the speed, and the car breaks in and things are less creaky, less jittery, it might SEEM to be more civilized, and therefore slower.

Could be the way the ECU learns and applies power too... dunno... but saying the car feels slower versus showing something measurable that says it IS slower are different things.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2007, 11:50 PM   #61
IMJUSS2NASTY
Banned
Rep

Great point DrM, the evo feels fast because of the turbo lag. Took my 335I up against a Sti today. We both got onto the highway and pulled up next to each other doing 80. We were neck to neck but once I shift into 4th I started pulling away. The jittery part makes alot of sense too, because I didnt have 100 percent control over the car when I use to redline it, that nervous feeling coulda made it seem like it was faster back then rather then now ( that im used to it).
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2007, 12:06 AM   #62
ironic
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: Jet Black 335i

haha funny, i feel the same way, the 335i seems to lag now

Widebody 335i Project Car BUILD | PHOTOSHOOT
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2007, 08:33 AM   #63
serge
Captain
Germany
Rep

Drives: '11 M3 ZCP (Sold) / '06 C6 Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy514 View Post
You spend $1300 on the 335 to get almost 70whp 90wtq

Id like to see what it cost for an EVO/STI to get those numbers.

No where close.
No where close? How can you be so ignorant?

I realize from your previous posts that you are not very fond of Evos and STis, and thats ok...these cars weren't made for everyone. But why do you keep trying to compare apples and oranges? 335s and Evos are in different leagues. I noticed there're plenty of 335 owners in this forum who also drive Evos. They all use their 335s for daily commuting and the Evos for the track or for occasional blasts on secondary roads.

Please stop bashing Evos, they can be seriously fast for less than $1,300. Itís kind of funny that someone who drives a 93 Celica is actually talking smack about Evos. Get real dude.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2007, 08:42 AM   #64
serge
Captain
Germany
Rep

Drives: '11 M3 ZCP (Sold) / '06 C6 Z06

Quote:
^^HerbZ,

The way you perceive things worries me. Do you think a Evo owner and STI owner or SRT-4 owner actually buys a car so that they can be "faster than you for $15000 less" ?, Am I guessing you are refereing to the $15000 less than a BMW 335I? No, that is not the case.

Your idea of: " I can buy a high milage E30 for $2,000, with no rust, strip out the engine and transmission, buy an S52 with tranny for $7k, bore it and turbocharge it for $5k, install it into the E30, upgrade the E30's suspension, chassis, breaks, rims, ECU, and cosmetics, and i'll have a car that performs and looks better than 90% of modded Evo's, WRX, and STi's, and i've still payed significantly less money than them. ($20k)"

sounds good for you but I seriously doubt anyone would like to go that route. There are many other better chasi, power plants and setups to choose.. I personally wouldn't never spent $20000 trying to make a E30 fast.

So your plan is:
E30 for $2,000
S52 with tranny for $7k
bore it and turbocharge it for $5k
install it into the E30, upgrade the E30's suspension, chassis, breaks, rims, ECU, and cosmetics (for the remaining $6000)

Wow! does that include tuning? labor? soo... for about $6000 you can get upgrade brakes, upgrade superwide tires and rims to accomodate such power, then suspension and off course cosmethics too right? perhaps a nice metalic paint right?javascript:add_smilie(":bowrofl:")

Uhmm, how about seats? and yeah one more thing, what about cvs , driveshaft and rear beefed diff? LSD right?javascript:add_smilie(":bowrofl:")

Good luck on your $20000 E30 that looks better than the Evos/STIs, outhandles the Evos/STIs, outbrakes the Evos/STIs and outperforms the Evos.javascript:add_smilie(":bowrofl:")

Carlos
+1

By the way, Carlos, congrats on your new 335i Coupe!
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2007, 09:18 AM   #65
CoralRedPlz
restless
Rep

i have had my car for a week now and have 950 miles on it. i started flogging it hard to redline a good amount after i changed the oil at like 600miles or so.

it only seems to be getting faster imo.
      03-16-2007, 02:12 PM   #66
IMJUSS2NASTY
Banned
Rep

Maybe I should change the oil. Did you guys bring to to the dealer to have it changed or did you do it yourself?
Appreciate 0