E90Post

MINHS Auto Care Center

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > E90 330i - Big clouds of smoke at high revs?

03-22-2011, 12:11 AM   #23
fdriller9
Banned

Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [3.22]
I don't know why you trying to diagnose this yourself...if your exhaust is smoking, something is wrong and driving it around will not help alleviate the problem.

Take it to a shop....
fdriller9 is offline   United_States
      03-23-2011, 03:42 PM   #24
Volasko
Major

Drives: 2006 E90 330i BSM 6MT ZSP

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ********* View Post
I don't know why you trying to diagnose this yourself...if your exhaust is smoking, something is wrong and driving it around will not help alleviate the problem.

Take it to a shop....
Agreed!!
Don't be afraid of the mechanic, this isn't something that should happen. Hoping it will go away is just going to cause worse problems down the road. All you need to know is that no matter the situation you shouldn't have that much white smoke coming out of your exhaust. I would put my money on a head gasket issue that is causing coolant (antifreeze) to leak into the combustion chamber. It happens at higher RPM's because your coolant pump applies more pressure to your coolant to move more fluid to cool down your engine, more pressure more of a chance for it to leak through your gasket. If it leaked into your oil you would be albe to tell when you drained it easily, but that doesn't explain why your are burning it off (assuming your valve seals work). If I had to put money on it I would say head gasket.

Keep us posted!
Volasko is offline   Canada
      03-25-2011, 02:00 AM   #25
Corran

Drives: E90 330i 07:a

Hi again....thanks for all the help.

The problem has gone away....no smoke at all anymore.

I went to the shop, and he said that it was the cold weather...and my short trips that had made a lot of moister to build up.

And that it takes much longer for the oil to reach it workingtemp. then for the water.

He also said that I should change the oil now....since itīs no longer at its best.

Still I was lucky it dident get worse....that it would freeze up real bad.
      03-25-2011, 07:39 AM   #26
micah_675
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2006 325i (US Spec)

Figured as much, thanks for coming back to report in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corran View Post
Hi again....thanks for all the help.

The problem has gone away....no smoke at all anymore.

I went to the shop, and he said that it was the cold weather...and my short trips that had made a lot of moister to build up.

And that it takes much longer for the oil to reach it workingtemp. then for the water.

He also said that I should change the oil now....since itīs no longer at its best.

Still I was lucky it dident get worse....that it would freeze up real bad.
      03-28-2011, 11:40 PM   #27
birdbrain
Banned

Drives: bmw

You have contamination in your oil-likely coolant leaking from a crack in the block or radiator where the fluids are mixing. Only happening at high revs because the coolant only ignites at higher temperatures which is when revs are high. I would check your coolant resevoir and I bet its low with a cracked block leaking. Do a pressure test to confirm