E90Post

GTB Performance

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > JB4 - Downpipe - Chargepipe Review

05-14-2014, 12:40 PM   #1
Gearhead327
Enlisted Member

Drives: 2011 335i M-Sport 6MT

JB4 - Downpipe - Chargepipe Review

Just thought I would share my thoughts about these 3 bolt-ons. First off my car/mechanical background is pretty good. I have been bracket racing for 16 years and run the NHRA point’s series in stock eliminator. My background is all domestic engines with carburetors so this turbo/computer stuff is not my strong point. With that being said I did a lot of research before buying anything.

JB4- Absolutely love this tune! If you’re not running this on your 335 you’re missing out. I drove my car stock for a while to get a good feel for it. I then put on the JB along with FF wires, and ER CP. The installation was pretty simple although I removed the strut brace and rear engine cover for the Flex Fuel wire connection. I know it can be done without that step but I wanted to make sure everything connected properly. I drove around for a while in Map 5 until my flashers told me the engine was good to go and started doing some pulls. Car was really starting to pull much harder! Having my oil temp gauge hijacked for my boost is a cool stealthy feature. I ran the USB cable through the back of the DME box and into the glove box (very easy with 2 people). You do have to remove the kick guards under the dash, again very easy. I ran some logs and everything looked great! After I installed my catless DP I put 5 gallons of E85 in with the rest 93 and headed up to the drag strip. After destroying my tires trying to launch the car (love the power) I headed home. After doing some pulls and hitting the strip the JB must have really adapted because now the car is running even harder! I’m blowing through gas because I just can’t get enough.

Catless DP- Awesome!!! I can’t say enough about it. It gives me the sound I want, reduced turbo lag, and I can hear my turbo spool! The installation was pretty easy (on a lift) and fitment was spot on (BMS brand). The smell is hardly noticeable that even my wife can’t tell! When it comes time for emissions I’ll just swap it out and put it right back in.

ER CP- Amazing fit and finish! I really like how it bolts to the stock mounting tab, was really easy to install and no worries of blowing the stock one off. The stock one does seem like a joke.

All in all I'm VERY happy with the car and looking forward to some cosmetic mods. Hope this review helps someone with decision making.

Last edited by Gearhead327; 05-14-2014 at 05:33 PM.
      05-14-2014, 06:08 PM   #2
Knobi
Captain

Drives: 2011 E90 335i

Garage List
Great post, reminded me EXACTLY how I felt when I got my JB4, AR DP and ER CP. I just ordered my flex fuel wires yesterday to give E85 a try, did you upgrade your FMIC yet?
Knobi is offline   United_States
      05-14-2014, 07:24 PM   #3
Gearhead327
Enlisted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knobi View Post
Great post, reminded me EXACTLY how I felt when I got my JB4, AR DP and ER CP. I just ordered my flex fuel wires yesterday to give E85 a try, did you upgrade your FMIC yet?
Thanks bud! I spent a lot of time reading everybody's else's posts (including yours) figured I would take the time to write my own. I did not update my FMIC yet. Still doing some research on that and trying to save some money for my pole barn project. E85 definitely adds some HP. I'm lucky I have a station 5 minutes from my house. Let me know your thoughts on it when you add your wires.
      05-14-2014, 10:09 PM   #4
Gate7
Oh rly?

Drives: 2011 335i E90

Nice! How hard was the DP install, is it bolt on to the stock catback?

REAL men use 3 pedals
      05-15-2014, 05:40 AM   #5
Gearhead327
Enlisted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate7 View Post
Nice! How hard was the DP install, is it bolt on to the stock catback?
Not bad at all. Just unplug your O2 sensors prior to removal. Then drop your front belly covers, spray all bolts with some lube (PB blaster or WD), support your exhaust and unbolt. I loosened my bottom O2 before removal, and the top after - just brace the DP against the frame. The new DP bolts right to the stock exhaust. The hardest part was the V-clamp. Just be patient and leave it loose until you line it up with your exhaust flanges.