E90Post
 


Lux Angel Eyes
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > 335i N55 tuning queries



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-25-2011, 06:33 AM   #1
AbuBeemer
Registered
United Arab Emirates
0
Rep
1
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 335i M Sport Coupe
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: UAE

iTrader: (0)

335i N55 tuning queries

Hey guys, new member here.

I bought a new 2011 335i M Sport Coupe in October 2010 after previously owning a 2010 Audi S5 Coupe. Pleased to say that the 335i is the best car i've ever driven, much more useable power and a better overall driving experience.

Anyways, I'm now wanting to make a couple of mods, nothing too heavy just some little gains here and there. I'm already decided on the BMW Performance suspension kit for another 10mm drop on the Sports suspension.

Then I was looking to replace the OME air filter with an aFe Drop In but here in the UAE temperatures regularly reach 50 degrees centigrade and there is always a lot of fine sand in the air. Should I go for the higher particle filtration offered by the non oiled filter or am I still ok with the oiled?

I was looking at the BMW Performance exhaust but wondered if it really sounds that much different to the standard (actuator unplugged) system?

Finally, I was looking at the BMW Performance Kit and wondered if anyone else had it installed and had any feedback?

I know there are other mods which give more bang for my bucks but my car is only four months old and has the balance of a five year service inclusive plan and dealer warranty so I want to keep all the work legit via my local dealership.

Interested to hear your opinions..
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 09:05 AM   #2
bluefly
Second Lieutenant
bluefly's Avatar
Canada
2
Rep
207
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 e90 335i + NB miata
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

The BMWPerf suspension is a great choice - I have it on my LCI so can comment on this for you: the ride and ride height stays very "real world friendly" but the car is transformed as far as handling and feel go. Much more composed, precise for cornering, changes direction more willingly... Basically it becomes a sport sedan like it is supposed to be.

I can't comment first-hand on BMWPer exhaust as I don't have it (yet) but I have read only positive views and it sounds great in videos I've seen without fear of droning in highway cruising. Should be a very good choice for you from the sounds of it.

Gains from intake (drop in) are small... Given you drive in ME sandy environment may not be worth doing that mod.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 10:12 AM   #3
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
42
Rep
3,607
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto, Ontario

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbuBeemer View Post
Hey guys, new member here.

I bought a new 2011 335i M Sport Coupe in October 2010 after previously owning a 2010 Audi S5 Coupe. Pleased to say that the 335i is the best car i've ever driven, much more useable power and a better overall driving experience.

Anyways, I'm now wanting to make a couple of mods, nothing too heavy just some little gains here and there. I'm already decided on the BMW Performance suspension kit for another 10mm drop on the Sports suspension.

Then I was looking to replace the OME air filter with an aFe Drop In but here in the UAE temperatures regularly reach 50 degrees centigrade and there is always a lot of fine sand in the air. Should I go for the higher particle filtration offered by the non oiled filter or am I still ok with the oiled?

I was looking at the BMW Performance exhaust but wondered if it really sounds that much different to the standard (actuator unplugged) system?

Finally, I was looking at the BMW Performance Kit and wondered if anyone else had it installed and had any feedback?

I know there are other mods which give more bang for my bucks but my car is only four months old and has the balance of a five year service inclusive plan and dealer warranty so I want to keep all the work legit via my local dealership.

Interested to hear your opinions..
Very weird. How do you get the power down with out the traction control killing power when turning into traffic? Most annoying trait I have ever experienced in a car. I'm going back to AWD.....
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 11:18 AM   #4
bluefly
Second Lieutenant
bluefly's Avatar
Canada
2
Rep
207
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 e90 335i + NB miata
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

DTC on + modulate the throttle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaker View Post
Very weird. How do you get the power down with out the traction control killing power when turning into traffic? Most annoying trait I have ever experienced in a car. I'm going back to AWD.....
Easy. You drive with DTC on most of the time, so that traction control will not be overly intrusive (but you retain DSC for safety), and you MODULATE the throttle as you pull out into traffic... you can make a very quick "getaway" into traffic if you do so.

Not trying to be inflammatory but I have noticed that throttle modulation is a lost art for many drivers today - even enthusiasts - and especially those coming from AWD - but it's how people have been driving high-horsepower cars for decades...

Having said that, would an LSD be better for getting the power down in daily driving especially on slick roads? Absolutely. But even with an LSD you require throttle modulation... in fact, even with AWD with enough power you require throttle modulation...

What might help is to think of the throttle as a switch that you "s-q-u-e-e-z-e INTO" rather than a switch that you "CLICK ON".
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 02:00 PM   #5
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
42
Rep
3,607
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto, Ontario

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefly View Post
Easy. You drive with DTC on most of the time, so that traction control will not be overly intrusive (but you retain DSC for safety), and you MODULATE the throttle as you pull out into traffic... you can make a very quick "getaway" into traffic if you do so.

Not trying to be inflammatory but I have noticed that throttle modulation is a lost art for many drivers today - even enthusiasts - and especially those coming from AWD - but it's how people have been driving high-horsepower cars for decades...

Having said that, would an LSD be better for getting the power down in daily driving especially on slick roads? Absolutely. But even with an LSD you require throttle modulation... in fact, even with AWD with enough power you require throttle modulation...

What might help is to think of the throttle as a switch that you "s-q-u-e-e-z-e INTO" rather than a switch that you "CLICK ON".
This has nothing to do with how "people have been driving for decades".
Accelerating slowly by squeezing throttle is great but I'm talking about accelerating rapidly. . With DTC on tire squeal is brutal . Throttle tip in is brutal. Car has been back to the dealer for this....and will go back again. LSD would be a big help. Basically it is impossible for rwd to accel as fast as its AWD counterpart....and thats what I miss.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2011, 11:51 AM   #6
bluefly
Second Lieutenant
bluefly's Avatar
Canada
2
Rep
207
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 e90 335i + NB miata
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

@Leaker - interesting you have so much trouble getting the power down, even in the dry. I stand by my statement... I agree that the car could DEFINITELY benefit from an LSD but it is by no means undriveable even in its current open-diff state... especially at stock N55 power levels.

If you are squealing your tires at throttle tip-in, in the dry no less, I can't imagine how you are stomping the throttle. If you continue to insist it is the vehicle and not your driving style, well that is interesting too... let us know what the dealer finds... perhaps there is something amiss with your particular car after all.

Certainly, one thing is clear from your various posts, you are used to quattro power delivery and are unable/unwilling to alter your driving style for RWD. Which is unfortunate, because while quattro is better for many things, RWD has a whole lot to offer you in driving enjoyment too, but you need to drive each powertrain configuration differently... just as you would not drive a FWD car the same as either AWD or RWD.

(And please don't misunderstand me as a BMW-at-all-costs proponent... I am actually a huge VW/Audi/Porsche fan.)
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2011, 02:18 PM   #7
nekbreaker
Private
United_States
1
Rep
75
Posts

 
Drives: bmw e92 335i
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: massachussett

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbuBeemer View Post
Hey guys, new member here.

I bought a new 2011 335i M Sport Coupe in October 2010 after previously owning a 2010 Audi S5 Coupe. Pleased to say that the 335i is the best car i've ever driven, much more useable power and a better overall driving experience.

Anyways, I'm now wanting to make a couple of mods, nothing too heavy just some little gains here and there. I'm already decided on the BMW Performance suspension kit for another 10mm drop on the Sports suspension.

Then I was looking to replace the OME air filter with an aFe Drop In but here in the UAE temperatures regularly reach 50 degrees centigrade and there is always a lot of fine sand in the air. Should I go for the higher particle filtration offered by the non oiled filter or am I still ok with the oiled?

I was looking at the BMW Performance exhaust but wondered if it really sounds that much different to the standard (actuator unplugged) system?

Finally, I was looking at the BMW Performance Kit and wondered if anyone else had it installed and had any feedback?

I know there are other mods which give more bang for my bucks but my car is only four months old and has the balance of a five year service inclusive plan and dealer warranty so I want to keep all the work legit via my local dealership.

Interested to hear your opinions..
bmw performance exhaust is the way to go a got it on my car i loved install by bmw dealer so is cover under warranty
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:54 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST