E90Post

Bimmer Retrofit

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Motiv Twin Disc Clutch Review

08-26-2015, 12:04 AM   #1
ri0
Rep
Drives: E92 335XI 6Spd

Post Motiv Twin Disc Clutch Review

Good day people of e90post!

I hummed and hawed about buying a Motiv twin disc clutch because I couldn't find more than 1 or 2 reviews. I bought the sst, and figure I would put one up as well to help others.

Car:
2008 335XI Coupe> JB4, DPs, BMS Intake & Catch can, CDV delete, Welded solid rear diff, 75000km on car

Myself:
I average 300km (186mi) to a tank, and my last set of tires were gone within 3000km.
I act like a complete teenager when it comes to driving this car. I bought it to slide around ken block style in the winter (Canada). Since recently welding my rear diff I frequently ruin my tires doing donuts and sliding around corners in a dramatic fashion. My stock clutch put up with about 1000km of this abuse before letting go.

I obviously don't have the 900ft/lbs of torque that the clutch is advertised to hold, but I was hoping it might allow me to use launch control and cut some decent 60' times. With the oem clutch launch control would just slip no matter the rpm I launched at (awd).

On to the review!
The clutch cost me an arm and a leg. The Canadian dollar is basically worthless right now, so after conversion, shipping and customs fees it was $2850 cdn.

For $2850 it sure didn't come with much! A 1 page print off for "troubleshooting" which basically all lead to "you didn't install it or break it in properly and you fucked up"
This being considered, there were absolutely no installation instructions..
I've read several people saying that if you have to ask if it is DIY'able, you probably shouldn't. > This is my 7th or 8th clutch, and I have a shop with power tools and hoists, so I figured I'd give it a whirl.

Installation:

Somewhere in the instructions that were not actually written, I would have appreciated torque specs. They are different than OEM because the pressure plate is held to the flywheel with bolts that look roughly half the size of stock (but there are more of them). Needless to say torquing what are basically 5mm screws to 20 ft/lbs would result in stripping them.
Whatever.

In none of the clutches that I've ever changed did I ever have to take the flywheel to a press.. You must press out the very center piece of the oem flywheel and then press it into the Motiv flywheel. If you don't want to risk damaging it, or pressing it in at a slight angle you could always bring it to a local mechanics shop and it would take them 5 minutes.

Lastly the throwout bearing has two positions..
A tall position and a short position. I once again had to walk out of the shop and google to see if anyone had any advice about this, someone said they installed theirs in the short position and it was fine so that is what I did.
I believe this resulted in my friction point being quite high in the pedal. Whether this is what you like or not is up to you, I would have preferred having it closer to the floor, but I'm not really willing to pull the trans to adjust it again.

Incidentally this may have been a newbie mistake, but don't disconnect the slave cylinder, just unbolt it and tie it off to the side. It would have been nice to not have to bleed the system again once it was all back together.

For the record I greased the pilot bearing and the splines between the discs before reinstallation, and made sure the friction material was free of grease with some brake clean.

The first 2 days I was extremely happy with my purchase. I was driving the car moreso like a grandma than I ever had, but it was working well. I was happy that the infamous rattling noise that comes to most people after replacing a dual mass flywheel with a single mass was not present. I had no irregular noises or feeling whatsoever. I did feel like an idiot on every 1st gear takeoff, it is extra grabby for the first 500 miles I guess and it made me look like I'd never driven manual for awhile.

3 days and roughly 600km into driving it like a corolla I started the car and found that in neutral with the clutch out it sounded like a vw tdi diesel from under the hood. UGH!
I knew that was what I should expect, but I assumed that it would be there from day 1. The fact that it showed up after 3 days made me question whether some of the locktited bolts holding my flywheel on had come loose.

In any case I look forward to trying out the launch control soon, and assuming this clutch lasts me a couple years I will be generally happy with the product I purchased but not so much with the experience with purchasing online.
On Motiv's website there are two types. The PT and the SSt. The pictures are identical, there are no pictures of the actual clutch discs. The descriptions are nearly word for word the same as well so I was unsure of which one to get. I originally ordered the PT and then after looking around found someone mention that this one is the puck type which would be less forgiving on the street. I emailed them and asked them to change the order and they did.
I paid $310 for shipping and customs ($90 for shipping). It took more than 2 weeks for them to actually ship the part, and after I emailed in to check to see if / when it would ship nobody actually got back to me till the product was in my hands.

This coupled with the fact that I sent them some questions via their website that never got answered, and the lack of instructions & torque specs made me less than thrilled.

Hopefully someone finds this long winded review useful, any questions posted I will answer to the best of my ability.

Last edited by ri0; 08-26-2015 at 12:19 AM.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 12:13 AM   #2
ri0
Rep

Here are some pictures for reference. The funny round thing is what had to be pressed, I am unsure of its correct name.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 04:46 AM   #3
Brule
Brendan
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i e92 6sp man

Cant wait to install mine.

The lack of info and reviews was a bit worrying.

Now that they are being sent with full faced discs everyone seems happy.

Is yours about 30% stiffer?
How much harder is your experience in drivability compared to stock?
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 09:24 AM   #4
135Pats
The World Champion New England Patriots...
United_States
Rep
Drives: A few BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brule View Post
Cant wait to install mine.

The lack of info and reviews was a bit worrying.

Now that they are being sent with full faced discs everyone seems happy.

Is yours about 30% stiffer?
How much harder is your experience in drivability compared to stock?
I've been in a few cars with the puck face, and it's one of the heavier and grabbier clutches i've felt. It's no joke. The full faced version should be appreciably more polite for daily driving.

It's a great clutch if you can get over the noise, which is not subtle. Is what it is if you wanna hold the big power.

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 01:50 PM   #5
ri0
Rep

The running joke on our facebook group is "stock like feel"
It's not difficult to hop in and press the pedal to the floor, but after 20 minutes in traffic its absolutely brutal. I find myself using neutral more than ever at lights etc.
It takes a special effort to take off smoothly in first gear without the car bucking back and fourth or passengers heads hitting the headrests.

My last vehicle was a ford ranger with about 400hp from a turbo 4cyl. It had a single solid 4 puck clutch and I found that one easier to take off with than this one, though nobody but me could drive it without stalling it.

(clutch rattle)

Last edited by ri0; 09-01-2015 at 12:53 AM.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2015, 05:37 AM   #6
Brule
Brendan
Australia
Rep

Ohwell at least it will be able to handle dropping it for a random skid or launching it hard without worrying about wrecking it.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2015, 11:48 AM   #7
pobudz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

I went with the 6 puck version of the MOTIV twin disk. Drivability is rough in first/reverse.. noise was pretty bad. Then I switched to MHD... Raised my idle to 900rpm and the noise is gone and drivability is improved. Pedal is only slightly heavier than stock unless you have pidgin legs.
IG @pobudz | '08 e92 335i - Motiv 750 w/ PI & AEM! MHD tuned (n20 + maxboost), rb pcv, tial bov, ER cp, ADE 8" fmic, Corsa 3.5" catback, m3 suspension bits (F&R sway, F&R control arms), rogue toe arms, MOTIV motor mounts, UUC trans mounts and SSK w/DSSR. H&R sports and Konis, square 18x9.5 Apex ARC-8s. Quaife 3.08 LSD, M3 subframe and diff bushings. MOTIV Twin disk. Fuel-IT Stage 3+.
Appreciate 1
      08-29-2015, 11:45 PM   #8
Brule
Brendan
Australia
Rep

Raising idle hey... I'll have to try that when its rattling.

Are you going to stay 6 puk or get full face?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2015, 11:51 AM   #9
Bme30
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
I have the puck with the uuc cocktail tranny fluid and the rattle is very little
1 bottle redline 75w150, and mt90. I also added liqui moly mo2s friction modifier.
Appreciate 1
      12-07-2015, 11:58 AM   #10
kOncept
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Any updates on this clutch after having it for a few months now?

Is it still jerky moving from a standstill?

Is it still noisy?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2015, 12:36 PM   #11
3000GT MR
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i/3000gt vr4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kOncept View Post
Any updates on this clutch after having it for a few months now?

Is it still jerky moving from a standstill?

Is it still noisy?
FWIW The 6 puck version is junk unless you have a track car only. The full face is 100x's better. Smoother engagement and overall drivability. Noise is still there but thats just the nature of a solid mass FW.

What i don't get is everyone that jumped on this is entitled to swapping out for a full face. In both PTF and Motiv part description it clearly stated "full-face" what SPEC was drop shipping was the 6-puck version. No where on either site did it have an option for it. I'm not sure if the sites still say that or if they have added an option but i have it quoted and saved somewhere. Motiv nor PTF claims they didn't know what was actually being shipped but regardless its false advertising.

Here's one with no option for the 6-puck. This is a newer description but it still only states everything the 6 puck is not. This is also the same company i received my 6 puck from when i paid for what they described as a full face. SPEC did swap it out for the full face disks but it took some back and fourth. I also had to drop the tranny and do the actual swap which isn't covered.

"The flagship stage for a high powered street or race car that requires a manageable and friendly engagement, the *** Twin Disk features carbon graphite and kevlar full faced material plates that offer unparalleled life, friction co-efficient and drivability characteristics in one single package. Great for street, drag, drift, autocross, road racing, pulling, rallye and drift."
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2016, 01:09 PM   #12
hokejka
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i 6mt

update?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2016, 04:38 PM   #13
The Convert
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135Pats View Post
I've been in a few cars with the puck face, and it's one of the heavier and grabbier clutches i've felt. It's no joke. The full faced version should be appreciably more polite for daily driving.

It's a great clutch if you can get over the noise, which is not subtle. Is what it is if you wanna hold the big power.
I have the pucked discs and really don't like them. Maybe one day I'll switch to the full face discs.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2016, 02:48 PM   #14
135Pats
The World Champion New England Patriots...
United_States
Rep
Drives: A few BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Convert View Post
I have the pucked discs and really don't like them. Maybe one day I'll switch to the full face discs.
Ya FWIW the one car I was in with the full face was WAY better/easier to be a passenger in. I drove the puck version a few months earlier and it was brutal for a street car. Serious PITA to get into 1st with.

I'd switch to the full face if you can get around to doing it. I think Jake still has the original race/puck version in his car from when I last drove it (putzed it to Chipotle, more accurately), that thing was gnarly.

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2016, 07:03 PM   #15
The Convert
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135Pats View Post
Ya FWIW the one car I was in with the full face was WAY better/easier to be a passenger in. I drove the puck version a few months earlier and it was brutal for a street car. Serious PITA to get into 1st with.

I'd switch to the full face if you can get around to doing it. I think Jake still has the original race/puck version in his car from when I last drove it (putzed it to Chipotle, more accurately), that thing was gnarly.
I drove it yesterday and stalled it again on flat ground! Previous time I drove it, I did pretty damn well though. It is soooo touchy. I think I need to get a clutch stop and fine tune it so I am closer to the engagement point then just going to the floor all the time. I'm sure the solid motor and trans mounts aren't helping me with forgiveness either.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2016, 07:37 PM   #16
idratherbesurfing
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e90 335i Lci

Quote:
Have you been in anyone's car with the full face disc yet?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2016, 10:53 PM   #17
The Convert
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by idratherbesurfing View Post
Have you been in anyone's car with the full face disc yet?
I have not. Would love to though.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2016, 01:44 AM   #18
idratherbesurfing
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I have not. Would love to though.
Does anyone have the full face?? Seems like all the bad reviews come from the puck style
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2016, 02:19 AM   #19
Brule
Brendan
Australia
Rep

I have a full faced.

Drives 9-10
Very noisy on idle especially ac on
The car vibrates and is noisy around 2-2.5k rpms

For me its perfect
I didn't notice pushing it I was harder than stock.

Its a bit jittery in 1st if your driving slow but nothing bad, if another person jumps in they might have problems if you didn't tell them it was a grippy clutch.

I like it
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2016, 09:54 AM   #20
idratherbesurfing
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brule View Post
I have a full faced.

Drives 9-10
Very noisy on idle especially ac on
The car vibrates and is noisy around 2-2.5k rpms

For me its perfect
I didn't notice pushing it I was harder than stock.

Its a bit jittery in 1st if your driving slow but nothing bad, if another person jumps in they might have problems if you didn't tell them it was a grippy clutch.

I like it

so much for expecting a better review. Guess i have to save for a Clutchmasters for real.
Appreciate 0