E90Post

TireRack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Windshield Replacement Manual

04-04-2011, 07:35 PM   #1
foboi1122
Rep

Drives: ###

Angry Windshield Replacement Manual

So recently I got a small dent on the driver's side in my field of view. The glass company who was contracted through my insurance won't let me patch it so I've got to get a new windshield. And so, because of a dent smaller than a nickel, I've gotta do a full replacement. I've heard of some wind leakage problems and I wanted to make sure the tech does a good job of installing my glass. Are there any installation instructions out there or is there some way I can request installation instructions from the dealer? If anyone knows it'd be great of you can provide some info here.

Also I'm getting my windshield replaced at All-Star Glass in fountain valley. Anyone know if it's a good place?

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 07:35 PM   #2
bsamoul
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Drives: E90 325i

Send a message via AIM to bsamoul
Make sure your rain sensor works after the install.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 07:43 PM   #3
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Drives: 335i cpe

It's a total mess. First of all, here are all the potential errors they will make.

Glass will be crooked--look at the VIN window. They can crack the plastic housing around the rain sensor when they pry it open. They will stretch the bottom molding. They will install the wiper arms too low towards the pass. side, so they wont sweep as far as they should. They will stretch the wire going to the mirror since they let it dangle while the glass is being uninstalled/installed. They will F up the new molding that goes around the top and sides.

I had to have it done twice. insurance wasn't willing to pay for OEM until the aftermarket didn't fit and wind howled through it. I got the OEM Saint Gobain Sekurit in Dec., with BMW logo. Here in April, it already has pits in it.

This glass thing of ours is a losing proposition. There is a strong case to repair if possible.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 07:46 PM   #4
Sara504
Banned
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2013 335is

Why cant you patch it? I had an 18 wheeler spit a rock at me today actually and cracked my windshield. I called my insurance and took it to get fixed this afternoon. They sealed it and everything. Cant even tell it was ever there. No out of pocket cost to me.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 08:34 PM   #5
Weebl
Weebl wobbles but eats Pie
Rep

Drives: 2008 335i, 2000 740i

I can tell you this, for a E38 is has to be almost precisely at the right height or you get shitloads of wind noise. Find the pdf for the installation instructions and watch the height of the glass in relation to the roof. Your car should be as quiet ,so take a drive and listen very carefully. So you can compare to your new one.
Check the rain sensor right after, you can even show the person yours works before they start. Check your upper rubber moulding, you may want to replace it, they get funky after a few years.
      04-04-2011, 11:16 PM   #6
DaveL
Banned
Rep

Drives: 2010 335 coupe msport

In short if they tell you the job is complete in 1 day it's done WRONG!!!!At the very least it's a 2 day job just closing and opening the doors will create suction and pop the seal if not properly cured...Trust me on this one I know.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 12:57 PM   #7
foboi1122
Rep

Thanks for the response guys,

The company says they are going to come do it today and that they have done quite a few bmw's. I hope they know what they're doing. On the bright side, the insurance was willing to pay for OEM glass and the installation has a life-time warranty. Would anyone be able to provide a PDF of the instructions on the installation by any chance?

@ Sara405, the insurance won't let me patch it because it's in my field of vision, so they're afraid the dent causes glare and that I might keep staring at it

@Weebl, yea my molding's starting to come off. The guy said he'll replace the molding

@DaveL, what you said makes me a bit nervous. He says he's coming to replace it at my work and it will be done right there and then by the time I leave, which is a few hours. =/
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 01:28 PM   #8
sunny
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Drives: 330i Monaco Blue

to make long story short my windows is the 3rd one they put on!

replacement bmw winshield does not have the top green tint and my original winshield had green tint so I had to get aftermarket winshield that had green tint.

and now with the aftermarket winshield, under hot LA sun, the rear view mirror button peeled off the winshield.

I could have called the shop that put on the winshield but I ended up fixing it myself.
some aftermarket winshield can have "waves" in the winshield too so watch out for it.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 01:40 PM   #9
foboi1122
Rep

Thanks sunny, I'll keep that in mind. I didn't realize OEM doesn't have the tint. That's kind of a bummer since I'm getting OEM glass
Appreciate 0