E90Post
 


Lux Angel Eyes
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Introducing my 335D



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-14-2007, 03:31 AM   #1
peppernick
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: E92 335D, Z4M Roadster
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: London, UK

Posts: 350
iTrader: (0)

Introducing my 335D

Some of you might recognize the car as I posted it on the main forum. Got my 335D in Sapphire Black with Saddle Brown interior last week. The only factory options I ordered with the car are anthracite headlining, exterior shadow trims and a ski-hatch mainly for my sound system.






Given what I like to do to my cars, 4 days later, she looks like this








So far I've added the Aero front lip, de-chromed the front (black mesh grills from the 325i, kidney grills painted matt black), lowered on H&R Euro Race springs, added GP Thunder 8000k H8 bulbs to take the yellow tinge away from the angel eyes, and my favourite rims BBS LeMans 19X8.5 and 19X9.5, Goodyear GSD3-F1 235/35/19 and 265/30/19 rears.


In the process of fitting my Alpine navigation system. Soundlinx has brought out various modules to intergrate the PDC, steering wheel multifuction controls, and power reserve bypass to suit aftermarket headunits. So it's all coming along nicely.








To come in summer, JL Audio sound system, Brembo Grand Turismo brakes and a re-map and intercooler upgrade :rocks:


Unfortunately, I'm not around for the meet coming up this weekend but will definitely pop round the next time
peppernick is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-14-2007, 03:59 AM   #2
Touringman
Private
 
Drives: Silver 335i MSport
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: UK - North Yorks

Posts: 57
iTrader: (0)

Nice motor - and welcome to the forum

M3 gone then?
__________________
Tim
E90 335i Msport
Mini Cooper S Sold: Z4 3.0si sport ordered!
R1150 GS - for sale
Touringman is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-14-2007, 05:29 AM   #3
ChrisMWard
Captain
 
Drives: E93 320d M Sport, E81 116d SE
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Epsom UK

Posts: 686
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 120d SE  [0.00]
2007 335d A M Sport  [0.00]
1998 M3 Evo  [0.00]
2002 330d Sport  [0.00]
2004 330d Sport  [0.00]
That looks so imposing.

Regards

Chris
__________________
Previously: 2007 335D MSport E90 Le Mans Blue, 2004 330D A Sport Silver Grey, 2002 330D A Sport Saphire Black, 2001 320D SE Touring Titanium Silver, 1998 M3 Evo Techno Violet, 1996 328i Sport Montreal Blue, 1994 325i Coupe Red, 1989 325i Sport 2 door Dolphin Grey,1986 325i SE 4 door Lachs
ChrisMWard is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      03-14-2007, 12:19 PM   #4
ES-Jet
Second Lieutenant
 
ES-Jet's Avatar
 
Drives: 320d ES
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Kent, UK

Posts: 227
iTrader: (0)

Nick - that looks absolutely stunning. Look forward to seeing it in the metal at some point.
__________________
320d ES - SG - 156 alloys, sunroof, PDC -GONE

320D SE on order
ES-Jet is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      03-15-2007, 06:03 AM   #5
keithIOW
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: E93 325 SE
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Isle of Wight, U.K.

Posts: 222
iTrader: (0)

Congratulations. That looks stunning.

Did you install the front lip yourself. If so, how easy was it, how much did it cost etc...

Thanks.
__________________

E93 325 SE, Sparkling Graphite, Black Dakota, hi-gloss black trim, 230's, Folding Mirrors, C/A, Sat Nav, Sport Seats, Front Seat Heating, prof Hi-Fi
keithIOW is offline   England
0
Reply With Quote
      03-15-2007, 06:18 AM   #6
- Paul -
Major General
 
- Paul -'s Avatar
 
Drives: see above.
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Yorkshire, UK

Posts: 7,266
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2005 320D SE  [5.00]
2005 645  [4.50]
Nice car dude!
__________________
- Paul - is offline   England
0
Reply With Quote
      03-15-2007, 08:02 AM   #7
red-max
First Lieutenant
 
red-max's Avatar
 
Drives: 520d M-Sport Auto
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: UK

Posts: 360
iTrader: (0)

Looking good - those wheels make a big difference to the way the car looks - you're making me think about getting some...
__________________
2012 F10 520d M-Sport, Sport Auto, Imperial Blue, Black Dakota, Sun Prot Glass. V-spoke 281 Winter wheel package
Previous BMWs: 2009 E92 320d M-Sport, 2006 E92 335d SE, 2004 E60 530d ASE, 2000 E39 525d SE, 1997 E39 523i SE
red-max is offline   England
0
Reply With Quote
      03-16-2007, 03:28 AM   #8
sheps
Colonel
 
sheps's Avatar
 
Drives: C63 AMG
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Cambs, UK

Posts: 2,396
iTrader: (2)

Send a message via MSN to sheps
Peppernick,

I have forgone the option of oem nav in favour of an aftermarket solution for when my E93 M Sport arrives on Sept 1st.

I currently have the Pioneer flip out screen etc, although it's likely I'll install that in the wife's Audi and start afresh for the BM.

How do you find the Alpine stuff? Is it good? Are there any specific screen/navi models you'd recommend?

Are you doing the install work yourself? In the past I've done all my own install work but for some reason I have major reservations about spannering on the E93.....

I'd be very greatful for any info/advice you have (what is power reserve bypass, for example?)

Cheers,

Sheps
__________________
Gone but not forgotten:
325i M Sport (E92), Black Sapphire, Coral Red Dakota, 19" 225's, Seat Heating, 6FL and de-badge

Replaced by 6.2 litres of AMG powered C class.
sheps is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      03-20-2007, 05:41 PM   #9
booforty
Major General
 
booforty's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: London, UK

Posts: 8,813
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Nick, I can now see that you've installed the H&R spings, looks awesome!! Can't believe all those wires you've pulled out I just couldn't do it!!

Can't wait to see your motor though...
booforty is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      03-28-2007, 01:50 PM   #10
Prestige Audio
New Member
 
Drives: E92 325i
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: UK

Posts: 21
iTrader: (0)

Hi Nick
Looks great! I am getting an E92 325i in a couple of weeks so will be interested to see what you plan with the sound system! I'll probably be going Alpine Double DIN in mine, and running a pair of free air 12s through the ski hatch.

Wheels looks superb BTW!

Cheers

Chris
Prestige Audio is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-28-2007, 02:10 PM   #11
JonMad
Second Lieutenant
 
JonMad's Avatar
 
Drives: 320d SE;Mazda MX-5
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Hampshire, UK

Posts: 235
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
1990 Mazda MX-5  [0.00]
2005 BMW 320d  [0.00]
Hi. Looks good. Bigger pics than you posted up on bmwland.co.uk as well Your car kicked off a big thread on the evo forum today too.

Look forward to meeting you and seeing the car soon. Seems like there are a load more UK meets being sorted out on that forum. Can you cross-post to here, or do we all need to up sticks?!
JonMad is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-28-2007, 03:54 PM   #12
peppernick
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: E92 335D, Z4M Roadster
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: London, UK

Posts: 350
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestige Audio View Post
Hi Nick
Looks great! I am getting an E92 325i in a couple of weeks so will be interested to see what you plan with the sound system! I'll probably be going Alpine Double DIN in mine, and running a pair of free air 12s through the ski hatch.

Wheels looks superb BTW!

Cheers

Chris
Hi Chris,
I specced the car with a ski hatch as I intend to mount the sub in a sealed box firing directly into the cabin. It will be an 8" sub and most likely I'll opt for the JL 8W7; although I'm still tempted to go back to a Diamond Audio TDX as I love the SQ from my TDX10D4 in my old M3.

The headache is more the front speaker set up. Stock mounting position take a 4" mid. Tweeter position is fine. I've looked around and it's not easy to squeeze a 5.25" behind those doorcards. Just concerned that a 4" will not have enough mid bass to blend into what the sub can offer. I can reuse the stock woofers under the seats and cross them over between 70-100Hz but they are more dedicated woofers than mid-basses. There isn't enough depth to mount a 6.5"/8" mid-bass, and even if I could squeeze them in, the sound stage will be really wierd as these speakers will be firing up towards the bottom of my seats!

How would you consider tackling the front end?


Quote:
How do you find the Alpine stuff? Is it good? Are there any specific screen/navi models you'd recommend?
I had the Pioneer Avic X1R on my M3 and it's pretty good. The Alpine navigation is still superb, much quicker and more detailed than most I've seen in the market. In fact, I would rate it as one of the very best. I am using the D310R motorized touch screen because I want to keep the single DIN set up. Navigation computer is the NVE-N099P.


Quote:
I have major reservations about spannering on the E93.....

what is power reserve bypass
You're quite right. The E92 is new territory. A lot of the circuits are linked differently to the E46 but I guess with time comes experience and very soon, taking the E92/93 apart becomes a piece of cake. The E92 shuts down various electrical circuits after the car is left for 10 mins. You'll notice that your electric seats stop working. Slot in the key fob and everything comes alive again. With an aftermarket headunit, the live feed behind the dash is part of the shut down. Your headunit will lose all settings each time you leave the car, unless you connect a live feed directly to the positive battery terminal, which is in the boot or the engine bay.

Also, you'll lose all multifunction controls on your steering wheel. Sound linx has brought out an adapter that will let you regain function of the volume adjust and track selection buttons. The rest ie. bluetooth, source selection will be rendered useless.

The PDC warning tone (as it's amplified by the headunit and played through the individual speakers) will also stop working once you remove the stock headunit. Soundlinx also brought out a circuit separator that will transfer the PDC system onto a separate system using an external speaker.
peppernick is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-28-2007, 03:55 PM   #13
peppernick
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: E92 335D, Z4M Roadster
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: London, UK

Posts: 350
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Your car kicked off a big thread on the evo forum today too.
If it's another evo forum other than evotechnik, link pls?
peppernick is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-28-2007, 04:51 PM   #14
JonMad
Second Lieutenant
 
JonMad's Avatar
 
Drives: 320d SE;Mazda MX-5
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Hampshire, UK

Posts: 235
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
1990 Mazda MX-5  [0.00]
2005 BMW 320d  [0.00]
http://www.evo.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9452&start=0

Warning - they're a harsh lot, and most threads go off topic within half a page. This one goes in and out of being on topic and generally avoids turning into the usual light hearted slagging match.

You might be able to answer some of my questions...
Quote:
Before I had my H&R springs on, the car was like riding on an air mattress, very comfortable ride.
Was this on runflats? I wouldn't describe mine as smooth and that's only on 17s (sports suspension though).

Quote:
Poise is much better round the bends than the E46. Grip, grip and GRIP!
Do you get the feel of how near the limit it is, or have you just got nowhere near it yet.
JonMad is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-28-2007, 05:26 PM   #15
peppernick
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: E92 335D, Z4M Roadster
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: London, UK

Posts: 350
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Was this on runflats? I wouldn't describe mine as smooth and that's only on 17s (sports suspension though).
Yes, Bridgestone RE050. I think different people has different thresholds. My definition of 'comfortable' is probably 'harsh' to you. Afterall, I ran round London in an M3 with track suspension (TEIN coilovers), solid bushes and thick roll bars for a year. I could feel every pebble on the road I drove on, but I like that sort of feedback, and the car to stay as flat as possible taking corners at 'fun' speeds :rocks:

I would describe my current setting with 19" and lowered suspension as a lot smoother than what I was used to. I drove an E90 325i Sport on 18"s and I find that a tad 'woolley' going round corners, although IMO an adequately comfortable ride for daily driving.


Quote:
Do you get the feel of how near the limit it is, or have you just got nowhere near it yet.
Not yet The E92 has a lot more mechanical grip than the E46, and what I have experienced on the road over the past 3 weeks, the 335D has a lot more to offer. I found the traction limit of my M3 at the Ring running on normal road tyres in the dry, I intend to find that of my E92 there come July. Although it'll be a challenge to harness the power with an open rear diff.

Steering is definitely more direct than the E46, and the feedback is very good, much better with the H&R springs.


Quote:
they're a harsh lot, and most threads go off topic within half a page
........ it's expected when it involves a BMW But if one truely understand the concept of a hobby, he will see why the perspective in car ownership varies so greatly. To me, buying a car is merely 30% of the fun, what I can do to it and with it make up the other 70% :rocks:

Last edited by peppernick; 03-28-2007 at 05:43 PM.
peppernick is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-28-2007, 06:07 PM   #16
Prestige Audio
New Member
 
Drives: E92 325i
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: UK

Posts: 21
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppernick View Post
Hi Chris,
I specced the car with a ski hatch as I intend to mount the sub in a sealed box firing directly into the cabin. It will be an 8" sub and most likely I'll opt for the JL 8W7; although I'm still tempted to go back to a Diamond Audio TDX as I love the SQ from my TDX10D4 in my old M3.

The headache is more the front speaker set up. Stock mounting position take a 4" mid. Tweeter position is fine. I've looked around and it's not easy to squeeze a 5.25" behind those doorcards. Just concerned that a 4" will not have enough mid bass to blend into what the sub can offer. I can reuse the stock woofers under the seats and cross them over between 70-100Hz but they are more dedicated woofers than mid-basses. There isn't enough depth to mount a 6.5"/8" mid-bass, and even if I could squeeze them in, the sound stage will be really wierd as these speakers will be firing up towards the bottom of my seats!

How would you consider tackling the front end?
I'd take a serious look at a proper free air/IB setup as it takes up bugger all space, adds very little weight and sounds awesome! You do get less output than a boxed sub, but I reckon a 150 DLS OA12 would give as much output as a boxed JL8W7 and need a lot less power. I'll be doing mine in the next 3-4 weeks so feel free to pop down and be converted!

Front end - in a 4 door E90/E91, you can just about get a 4" mid in the door (depth is the constraint, not diameter) but the E92 has even less depth so unless you want to start hacking metal, I'd look at fitting a soft dome mid. We did an E90 last week using a DLS R6.3 3 way set. The 6.5s went under the seats (modded the factory enclosures) playing from 80-400 (shouldn't work, but it does!) and the mids went in the doors from 400-3000 where the tweeters came in. This is essentially what I run in my X3 and with a processor and time alignment, it sounds pretty damm good!

I plan to use a DLS Iridium 8.3 3 way set with the 8 under the seat (it has a neodymium magnet so is no deeper than the Reference 6 we fitted in the last one) with the 3" mid and tweeter most likely to be in an A-Pillar build like this RS4 http://www.prestigeaudio.co.uk/auto/...o-1-23-138-540
Prestige Audio is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-29-2007, 01:48 AM   #17
Catscratch
Second Lieutenant
 
Catscratch's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335d
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Belgium

Posts: 272
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via MSN to Catscratch
This is just the most beautifull E92 I've seen!
__________________
Catscratch is offline   Belgium
0
Reply With Quote
      03-29-2007, 03:58 AM   #18
booforty
Major General
 
booforty's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: London, UK

Posts: 8,813
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catscratch View Post
This is just the most beautifull E92 I've seen!
And it is even better in the flesh, its awesome!
booforty is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      03-29-2007, 04:04 AM   #19
sheps
Colonel
 
sheps's Avatar
 
Drives: C63 AMG
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Cambs, UK

Posts: 2,396
iTrader: (2)

Send a message via MSN to sheps
Thanks for all the info - I'm not put off (yet!) just more intent on doing it now!!

I haven't spec'd my car with bluetooth - I was intending on using the Nokia CK-7W kit, as I know that Soundlinx also do a cable that alows interface between this kit and the steering wheel buttons.

Do you know if it would be possible to run this interface unit alongside the soundlinx unit allowing allowing track and volume adjustment for aftermarket headunits from the steering wheel buttons as well?

Ideally what I'd like to do is to run a similar (if not identical) navigation/media set up to your own (utilising steering wheel controls for volume and track etc) alongside a CK-7W bluetooth kit (also using the steering wheel buttons for call accept, hang-up etc) with the audio from the calls routed through the car speakers.

With your knowledge of the wiring/adapters etc, does this sound do-able to you? Do you have Bluetooth in your car (or plan to?)
__________________
Gone but not forgotten:
325i M Sport (E92), Black Sapphire, Coral Red Dakota, 19" 225's, Seat Heating, 6FL and de-badge

Replaced by 6.2 litres of AMG powered C class.
sheps is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      03-29-2007, 04:10 AM   #20
spesrf25
Second Lieutenant
 
spesrf25's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i Coupe
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: UK (Florida Native)

Posts: 240
iTrader: (0)

Nice....very clean. Whoops....i just drooled on it, my bad.
__________________
2007 335i Coupe
Space Gray, Black w/Dakota/Aluminum, Sports Pac, Premium Pac, iDrive, Manual....Mods: Painted Reflectors, Hoen xenonmatch bulbs for Angels and Fogs

spesrf25 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      03-29-2007, 09:41 AM   #21
peppernick
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: E92 335D, Z4M Roadster
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: London, UK

Posts: 350
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestige Audio View Post
I'd take a serious look at a proper free air/IB setup as it takes up bugger all space, adds very little weight and sounds awesome! You do get less output than a boxed sub, but I reckon a 150 DLS OA12 would give as much output as a boxed JL8W7 and need a lot less power. I'll be doing mine in the next 3-4 weeks so feel free to pop down and be converted!

Front end - in a 4 door E90/E91, you can just about get a 4" mid in the door (depth is the constraint, not diameter) but the E92 has even less depth so unless you want to start hacking metal, I'd look at fitting a soft dome mid. We did an E90 last week using a DLS R6.3 3 way set. The 6.5s went under the seats (modded the factory enclosures) playing from 80-400 (shouldn't work, but it does!) and the mids went in the doors from 400-3000 where the tweeters came in. This is essentially what I run in my X3 and with a processor and time alignment, it sounds pretty damm good!

I plan to use a DLS Iridium 8.3 3 way set with the 8 under the seat (it has a neodymium magnet so is no deeper than the Reference 6 we fitted in the last one) with the 3" mid and tweeter most likely to be in an A-Pillar build like this RS4 http://www.prestigeaudio.co.uk/auto/...o-1-23-138-540
Hi Chris,
I think I'll pop down to have a chat with you. I am keen to shove a 6.5" under the seats but never imagine that they will work! I'm using the Alpine H701 processor so should give me plenty of scope for adjustment. Never really a fan of free air subs after I heard a pair of JLs, the bass I find too disperse and not tight like one from a sealed box. Output is there no doubt. However, that's was my only experience with them so I can be swayed.


Quote:
With your knowledge of the wiring/adapters etc, does this sound do-able to you? Do you have Bluetooth in your car (or plan to?)
I don't have factory bluetooth but will be keen to try out the revised Alpine kit. The steering wheel button is merely a switch, so I'm sure it's not difficult to transfer the mechanism from a dedicated aftermarket bluetooth switch to the steering wheel button. This kit will give me full control (hopefully!) of the telephone functions via the D310 screen and steering wheel button.

I don't know if your factory bluetooth will be compatible with the Nokia.
peppernick is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-29-2007, 12:35 PM   #22
JonMad
Second Lieutenant
 
JonMad's Avatar
 
Drives: 320d SE;Mazda MX-5
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Hampshire, UK

Posts: 235
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
1990 Mazda MX-5  [0.00]
2005 BMW 320d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppernick View Post
Yes, Bridgestone RE050. I think different people has different thresholds. My definition of 'comfortable' is probably 'harsh' to you. Afterall, I ran round London in an M3 with track suspension (TEIN coilovers), solid bushes and thick roll bars for a year. I could feel every pebble on the road I drove on, but I like that sort of feedback, and the car to stay as flat as possible taking corners at 'fun' speeds :rocks:

I would describe my current setting with 19" and lowered suspension as a lot smoother than what I was used to. I drove an E90 325i Sport on 18"s and I find that a tad 'woolley' going round corners, although IMO an adequately comfortable ride for daily driving.
M3 sounds great, even if it made your teeth rattle. I like it that the ride on mine is firm but the tramlining is annoying now and again, and passengers have commented on the bouncing at the rear that's occasionally noticable on certain surfaces.

So, 'ring trip aside, is the E92 going to be your road and track car now or have you got something else up your sleeve?

Quote:
Not yet The E92 has a lot more mechanical grip than the E46, and what I have experienced on the road over the past 3 weeks, the 335D has a lot more to offer. I found the traction limit of my M3 at the Ring running on normal road tyres in the dry, I intend to find that of my E92 there come July. Although it'll be a challenge to harness the power with an open rear diff.

Steering is definitely more direct than the E46, and the feedback is very good, much better with the H&R springs.
Interesting, thanks. One of my current lust items is an M3 CS. Not that I'm in any position to buy one for the next couple of years. 335i or d makes an interesting comparison.

Cheers, Jon
JonMad is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:47 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST