E90Post

TireRack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > possibly bad battery??

04-06-2011, 12:23 AM   #1
HermanL
First Lieutenant

Drives: e92 6mt 335i

possibly bad battery??

So I recently found out the when i unlocked the car with remote, the taillights didn't come on anymore and then I got a battery warning from cluster, but it was gone the next time i got into my car. so does this mean i need to replace my battery? and do the taillights have anything to do with the battery? thanks in advance!!!!
      04-06-2011, 12:25 AM   #2
bsamoul
Major General

Drives: E90 325i

Send a message via AIM to bsamoul
Any problems starting the car?
bsamoul is offline   No_Country
      04-06-2011, 12:30 AM   #3
HermanL
First Lieutenant

no problem starting the car yet
      04-06-2011, 12:30 AM   #4
HermanL
First Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsamoul View Post
Any problems starting the car?
no problem whatsoever....
      04-06-2011, 02:51 AM   #5
hugus311
Titanium silver + Sport + Premium

Drives: 2006 330i (E90)

battery on way out, car shuts down systems that are non critical to compensate.
hugus311 is offline   United_States
      04-06-2011, 07:52 AM   #6
ajsalida
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 95 M3, 02 R1150GSA, 09 335xi

could be software related

I had this problem all winter, but no problems starting. Drove me crazy. I'd get the trip odo and clock zero'd out too, plus various features would shut off (auto door unlock, trunk open, etc.). Took it in to the dealer for the HPFP and this issue. Turns out there is a TSB on battery charging system software, they tested my battery and nothing was wrong. Reprogrammed the car for the false battery warning issue and it has not done it since. Since they also reprogrammed for the HPFP not clear if it was part of that or not.

If your car is relatively new and has few miles I'd look into this. Either way make sure it is actually the battery. Had I replaced the battery on my own (this is not trivial BTW, req reprog.) I'd still not have fixed the problem plus spent $$ for nothing.

My car is a 2009 e92 xi w/23k miles.

The work order says after doing batt tests and finding no fault "found bulletin relating calling for vehicle to be reprogrammed". No TSB #.
      04-06-2011, 08:05 AM   #7
HermanL
First Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsalida View Post
I had this problem all winter, but no problems starting. Drove me crazy. I'd get the trip odo and clock zero'd out too, plus various features would shut off (auto door unlock, trunk open, etc.). Took it in to the dealer for the HPFP and this issue. Turns out there is a TSB on battery charging system software, they tested my battery and nothing was wrong. Reprogrammed the car for the false battery warning issue and it has not done it since. Since they also reprogrammed for the HPFP not clear if it was part of that or not.

If your car is relatively new and has few miles I'd look into this. Either way make sure it is actually the battery. Had I replaced the battery on my own (this is not trivial BTW, req reprog.) I'd still not have fixed the problem plus spent $$ for nothing.

My car is a 2009 e92 xi w/23k miles.

The work order says after doing batt tests and finding no fault "found bulletin relating calling for vehicle to be reprogrammed". No TSB #.
my car is a 07, does CPO cover any of these problems?
      04-06-2011, 11:56 AM   #8
HermanL
First Lieutenant

so is that true that CPO does not cover electrical stuff like taillights?
      04-06-2011, 12:33 PM   #9
ajsalida
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 95 M3, 02 R1150GSA, 09 335xi

I doubt CPO covers a bad battery on an 07 but would not hurt to ask. First you need to find out what is wrong though. Depending on what that is there may or may not be a free fix.

Others have pointed out that the electronics will shut off various things like flashing light on unlock etc. if the system senses a low battery. My point was it does this is in some cases erroneously, even when the battery is not bad, due to bad software that thinks the battery is bad. There is a TSB on it but first the battery must be checked out.

New battery + req. new battery reprogram from a dealer can cost as much as $500, which is insane IMHO. There are cheaper alterntives. I do not know if there would be a $ charge if the battery is good, software is bad, but car is out of warranty & a CPO.
      04-06-2011, 12:43 PM   #10
slavke
Private First Class

Drives: E90 330i sport & prem

had a battery replaced recently. Certain things stopped working on the car such as rear defroster, rest button for heating. My car is CPO and battery was not covered. They charged me $50 to test the battery and altenator under load and battery failed hense it got replaced.
      04-06-2011, 12:48 PM   #11
Verbatim
Colonel

Drives: 2008 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [5.00]
I'm guessing your headlights are not in the auto position and your keyfob battery is low.

2008 BMW 335i Sedan | Sparkling Graphite | Sport | Premium | Navigation | Comfort Access | Logic7
Golf Tee | M3 Spoiler | LED Angel Eyes | 5000k Fogs | Resonator Delete | Black Kidney Grills | Black Finisher Rods | 35%/18% Tint |12mm/20mm (F/R) Spacers | Black Lines

Verbatim is offline   United_States
      04-06-2011, 01:38 PM   #12
HermanL
First Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidkneiber View Post
I'm guessing your headlights are not in the auto position and your keyfob battery is low.
My headlights are fine and they are in auto position, it is just my taillights come on every time i unlock the car and now it just won't do it anymore
      04-06-2011, 01:39 PM   #13
HermanL
First Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavke View Post
had a battery replaced recently. Certain things stopped working on the car such as rear defroster, rest button for heating. My car is CPO and battery was not covered. They charged me $50 to test the battery and altenator under load and battery failed hense it got replaced.
so how much they charge you for the battery? i heard that it is going to be something insane,like 500 bucks?
      04-06-2011, 01:40 PM   #14
fdriller9
Banned

Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [3.22]
If you drive short distances constantly you won't maintain your battery correctly. Our cars only charge the battery above 1500rpms.

If you drive short distances constantly, get an agm retrofitted. It can deep cycle better than a traditional lead acid.

Make see you have it PROGRAMMED AND REGISTERED. They are 2 DIFFERENT processes.

Get a tender and keep it on it for a week. Check the voltage across the terminals before and after putting the car on a tender....it should be around 12.6v.

If it's below 12v (after putting it on a tender) you need a new battery.
fdriller9 is offline   United_States
      04-06-2011, 01:40 PM   #15
HermanL
First Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsalida View Post
I doubt CPO covers a bad battery on an 07 but would not hurt to ask. First you need to find out what is wrong though. Depending on what that is there may or may not be a free fix.

Others have pointed out that the electronics will shut off various things like flashing light on unlock etc. if the system senses a low battery. My point was it does this is in some cases erroneously, even when the battery is not bad, due to bad software that thinks the battery is bad. There is a TSB on it but first the battery must be checked out.

New battery + req. new battery reprogram from a dealer can cost as much as $500, which is insane IMHO. There are cheaper alterntives. I do not know if there would be a $ charge if the battery is good, software is bad, but car is out of warranty & a CPO.
Thanks for the info, I will take it to the dealer to see what is wrong this weekend
      04-06-2011, 01:43 PM   #16
HermanL
First Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ********* View Post
If you drive short distances constantly you won't maintain your battery correctly. Our cars only charge the battery above 1500rpms.

If you drive short distances constantly, get an agm retrofitted. It can deep cycle better than a traditional lead acid.

Make see you have it PROGRAMMED AND REGISTERED. They are 2 DIFFERENT processes.

Get a tender and keep it on it for a week. Check the voltage across the terminals before and after putting the car on a tender....it should be around 12.6v.

If it's below 12v (after putting it on a tender) you need a new battery.
yeah, i have been driving short distance recently, and thanks for the info, that is something i definitely need to look into
      01-28-2013, 07:53 PM   #17
GoRomeo
Colonel

Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [2.83]
Thanks for the info here guys. Now I know why my rear defroster and rest heat functions stopped working. I ve had the low battery indicator in yellow for over a year now. No problems starting car which is a good thing. Oh well, I rather have power to start than using these features. My radio also shuts off about 2 min after I turn off engine. I guess the system is trying to save power. Cheers!
      01-28-2013, 08:02 PM   #18
snowman81
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2008 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I've been trying to track down why my radio shuts off by itself and then comes back on while I'm driving. I've charged the battery and had it tested. It checked out good. Maybe it's the software thing. Has anyone found the TSB number? I don't want my dealer playing dumb when I go there.
      01-28-2013, 08:03 PM   #19
sankohuy
Second Lieutenant

Drives: E92 335i

I think the battery is running low. My car is currently having the same hick-ups as yours. Angel lights and tail lights will not lid when unlocked. Cannot listen to music without having the engine running, otherwise it would shut off with a low battery warning light on. Also, my "REST" button no longer works, because of inefficient power. I will be having the battery change this weekend. Mine is a 2007 model with factory battery. Btw, warranty does not cover wear and tear parts, sadly, battery is considered wear and tear...
      01-28-2013, 08:09 PM   #20
Blindside_137
Brigadier General

Drives: '09 E93 Space Gray 328

My 09 is doing the same as well. Unlock doesn't light up welcome lights anymore. No problems starting the car but occasionally I do get the battery symbol on dash.

Clock is also running 5 minutes fast now. Not sure if that is related.
      01-28-2013, 08:22 PM   #21
GoRomeo
Colonel

Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [2.83]
guys seems like all share the same symptoms. Most likely we all need a new battery. Iv seen members here got their walmart for like 120 dlls? Anyone?
      01-28-2013, 08:43 PM   #22
mr_milo
Captain

Drives: 2011 E93 328i

Been having the same problems with my battery. It's a 2011, not even 2 years old yet and already to the shop once about it. They charged it and simply told me to keep it locked even when I have it in my garage.

Now I read about this "short trip" issue and am worried. So what is considered a "short" trip? I drive about 20 minutes each way to / from work. It's about 8 miles of mostly city driving but a small stretch (~1 mile) of freeway too. Is this considered a short trip?
mr_milo is offline   United_States