E90Post

MINHS Auto Care Center

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Oil drops on the bumper in the morning

04-27-2011, 03:56 AM   #1
bmwak
Major

Drives: 325D M-Sport Coupe (E92 LCI)

Oil drops on the bumper in the morning

Hi Guys,

Have a 320d coupe (2010) with 6,000 miles on the clock.

Noticed the past 2 days that on the front bumper (just in front of the lower centre grille on the bumper, lying on the flat lip on the M-Sport bumper) there is a single spot or two of a golden fluid. I cleaned it off the day before but noticed it again this morning. This morning it was there again, so I touched it and smelt it and it smells like clean oil

After parking up overnight, a drop or two appears in the morning. Its a clean golden colour, so have no reason to believe its engine oil (as know on diesels it turns black immediately once changed). There is nothing untoward in the engine bay. Unless there is something in between the radiator and bumper that could leak a drop or two further down.

Does anyone have any ideas on what this could be?
bmwak is offline   United Kingdom
      04-27-2011, 04:10 AM   #2
toxicnerve
Colonel

Drives: E92 335d M-Sport

Not sure about the layout in these engine bays but it could be one of a few fluids. First off, is it definitely "oily" in terms of viscosity?

Off the top of my head the oils (other than engine oil) used these days are power-steering fluid, brake-fluid and clutch (I believe your car will have an hydraulic clutch if it's not a manual).

It could also be something from a "sealed for life" component that has failed? I'm not sure to be honest and I'm just thinking out loud!