E90Post

GT Haus

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > stock shocks/H&R sport springs vs Koni Yellow/H&r sport springs

03-22-2015, 09:47 PM   #1
Teohenwhy
Du Ma Pho Real?
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

stock shocks/H&R sport springs vs Koni Yellow/H&r sport springs

For those of you who used to have stock shocks with H&R Sport springs and then went with Koni Yellow Sport shocks , did you notice a big difference in ride quality? It has been about 2 weeks since I installed my Koni yellows and to be honest I really don't notice a difference. I know that Koni yellows will last longer vs stock shocks but I am speaking only about ride quality. I have all the Koni Yellows set to about 90% soft all the way around.
      03-22-2015, 10:24 PM   #2
kimoboy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90

I have Yellow Koni with H&R Sport springs I didnt like the quality of the ride, as it bounces a lot.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2015, 10:28 PM   #3
Teohenwhy
Du Ma Pho Real?
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimoboy View Post
I have Yellow Koni with H&R Sport springs I didnt like the quality of the ride, as it bounces a lot.
That's what I kind of noticed also. I wonder why Koni Yellows would be more bouncy vs stock shocks? I was hoping it would get better after the shocks settle but it hasn't
      03-22-2015, 10:30 PM   #4
Teohenwhy
Du Ma Pho Real?
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimoboy View Post
Are you still on the same setup now? Or did you change it? If this is the way it's going to be I would much rather switch back to my stock shocks until
they blow then I would put the Koni Yellows back in. Or get a different setup altogether. Ride comfort is more important for me.
      03-23-2015, 05:10 AM   #5
kimoboy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90

Still the same, might change to Eibach springs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teohenwhy View Post
Are you still on the same setup now? Or did you change it? If this is the way it's going to be I would much rather switch back to my stock shocks until
they blow then I would put the Koni Yellows back in. Or get a different setup altogether. Ride comfort is more important for me.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 09:08 AM   #6
cpie168
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 328i Sport

Subscribed. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 01:08 PM   #7
Dan_Q
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teohenwhy View Post
For those of you who used to have stock shocks with H&R Sport springs and then went with Koni Yellow Sport shocks , did you notice a big difference in ride quality? It has been about 2 weeks since I installed my Koni yellows and to be honest I really don't notice a difference.
I am pretty surprised that the difference was not very noticeable. I have never replaced springs or shocks on any car I have owned but I have plans to switch to Koni yellows while keeping my stock sport springs. I don't want to lower the car beyond where it already is at. If you're saying the switch from the stock dampers was not noticeable then I may have to change my plans. I was under the impression that the difference in ride quality would be major. The main complaint I have with my stock sport suspension is that it really seems to thud over small road imperfections and doesn't seem to absorb them much.

How many miles did your stock shocks have on them? Have you adjusted the shocks at all or is there anything else you elaborate on?
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 06:05 PM   #8
Teohenwhy
Du Ma Pho Real?
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_Q View Post
I am pretty surprised that the difference was not very noticeable. I have never replaced springs or shocks on any car I have owned but I have plans to switch to Koni yellows while keeping my stock sport springs. I don't want to lower the car beyond where it already is at. If you're saying the switch from the stock dampers was not noticeable then I may have to change my plans. I was under the impression that the difference in ride quality would be major. The main complaint I have with my stock sport suspension is that it really seems to thud over small road imperfections and doesn't seem to absorb them much.

How many miles did your stock shocks have on them? Have you adjusted the shocks at all or is there anything else you elaborate on?
The only adjustments I can make on these are to make the rebound more firm which would make the ride quality even worse. I am not sure about the mileage on the stock shocks because I got them with the H&R sport springs since my original shocks had over 100k on them. Since your car is on OEM sport springs and not H&R sport springs I'm sure you won't have an issue vs having H&R sport springs.