E90Post
 


Lux Angel Eyes
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > What's the best Intake for N52 330i?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-10-2011, 12:37 PM   #1
aznboi330i
Second Lieutenant
 
aznboi330i's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 AW BMW 330i
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Florida

Posts: 269
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Exclamation What's the best Intake for N52 330i?

Cause I've heard of AFE and INJEN, but I also heard about the K&N drop in filter and I was wondering how does that work out?

And what's the difference between oiled and dryed filters?


What would be the best intake for the money? The most simplistic way of getting this done without having any errors in the car?

Btw my car does not have active steering.
aznboi330i is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-10-2011, 01:19 PM   #2
crossintothebeemer
Its just me....
 
crossintothebeemer's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 BMW 328xi
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Hampton Roads, VA

Posts: 121
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 328xi  [0.00]
I would personally recommend the K&N filter with the charcoal delete it will only cost you about 50 bux and an hour or two to properly remove the charcoal filter from the housing.
There is not to much performance gain from an after market intake other than sound. Plus in the engine bay the aftermarket intakes look kinda weird because they dont fill out the engine bay leaving unsightly gaps. Good luck with your decision though
crossintothebeemer is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-10-2011, 01:25 PM   #3
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
 
Drives: BMW Duh
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Santa Clara

Posts: 17,022
iTrader: (13)

Send a message via AIM to SV Concepts III
If you are after a full replacement intake, I'd suggest aFe which has a fully enclosed filter element to block engine heat from the filter element. The oiled version offers better flow and performance while the dry is easier to maintain and offers better filtration but less flow.

There is not a dramatic difference between the two but just depends on what you are after as far as maintenance and flow.
SV Concepts III is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-10-2011, 01:28 PM   #4
AlpineSwift
Colonel
 
AlpineSwift's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 335Xi Coupé
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Castle Rock, CO

Posts: 2,109
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick@Jlevi SW View Post
If you are after a full replacement intake, I'd suggest aFe which has a fully enclosed filter element to block engine heat from the filter element. The oiled version offers better flow and performance while the dry is easier to maintain and offers better filtration but less flow.

There is not a dramatic difference between the two but just depends on what you are after as far as maintenance and flow.
__________________
E92 '08 335Xi 6AT - Cobb AP V2, ar design DP's, Race Cats in the mids, Stock cans, VRSF CP w/Tial BOV, VRSF 7" FMIC, BMS DCI, BMS Cowl, H&R Coilovers, Renn Motorsport RS-51's, Alpina TCU Flash, Turner Boost Gauge, Fully Coded.
Best 1/4mi: 13.201 @ 106.93 / 2.0 60' / DA=9300ft

Tanya: The Build Thread
AlpineSwift is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-10-2011, 03:09 PM   #5
aznboi330i
Second Lieutenant
 
aznboi330i's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 AW BMW 330i
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Florida

Posts: 269
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossintothebeemer View Post
I would personally recommend the K&N filter with the charcoal delete it will only cost you about 50 bux and an hour or two to properly remove the charcoal filter from the housing.
There is not to much performance gain from an after market intake other than sound. Plus in the engine bay the aftermarket intakes look kinda weird because they dont fill out the engine bay leaving unsightly gaps. Good luck with your decision though
Is there a DIY on this whole process?? Rather pay $50 then pay $350+ for something that'll get ruined in the long run.
aznboi330i is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-10-2011, 03:11 PM   #6
aznboi330i
Second Lieutenant
 
aznboi330i's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 AW BMW 330i
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Florida

Posts: 269
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineSwift View Post
What's so funny?
aznboi330i is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-10-2011, 03:25 PM   #7
crossintothebeemer
Its just me....
 
crossintothebeemer's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 BMW 328xi
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Hampton Roads, VA

Posts: 121
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 328xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aznboi330i View Post
Is there a DIY on this whole process?? Rather pay $50 then pay $350+ for something that'll get ruined in the long run.
Yeah if you go to the DIY section there should be a DIY for the charcoal filter removal.

If not a quick run down is as follows:
-remove the air box as normal
-separate the air box( 8ish screws)
-carefully remove the maf (2 screws)(set it aside in a safe place)
- then you will notice an attached charcoal filter, using a box cutter or exacto-knife cut it along the outer edge until removed from the plastic housing
- now with a dremel or sand paper smooth out the surface from when the filter was
- Throughoully, I stress CLEAN the box out... and let dry then reassemble and your good to go!!!!

thats it in a nut shell, I might have missed a few steps
crossintothebeemer is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-10-2011, 03:38 PM   #8
aznboi330i
Second Lieutenant
 
aznboi330i's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 AW BMW 330i
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Florida

Posts: 269
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossintothebeemer View Post
Yeah if you go to the DIY section there should be a DIY for the charcoal filter removal.

If not a quick run down is as follows:
-remove the air box as normal
-separate the air box( 8ish screws)
-carefully remove the maf (2 screws)(set it aside in a safe place)
- then you will notice an attached charcoal filter, using a box cutter or exacto-knife cut it along the outer edge until removed from the plastic housing
- now with a dremel or sand paper smooth out the surface from when the filter was
- Throughoully, I stress CLEAN the box out... and let dry then reassemble and your good to go!!!!

thats it in a nut shell, I might have missed a few steps
Thanks alot man! But once I clean out the box I replace the old charcoal filter with the K&N filter? Therefore doing the so called K&N drop in?

This would be better then changing out the whole stock intake for an aftermarket one?

Will this also make the car sound better? I mean what are the real benefits of doing a charcoal delete?

Last edited by aznboi330i; 04-10-2011 at 03:44 PM.
aznboi330i is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-10-2011, 03:44 PM   #9
crossintothebeemer
Its just me....
 
crossintothebeemer's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 BMW 328xi
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Hampton Roads, VA

Posts: 121
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 328xi  [0.00]
The charcoal filter is seperate from the normal filter, technically right now there is two filters in your airbox,( the charcoal filter and the OEM one) so once you remove both the charcoal filter and the OEM filter you just put back the K&N filter and you are set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznboi330i View Post
Thanks alot man! But once I clean out the box I replace the old charcoal filter with the K&N filter? Therefore doing the so called K&N drop in?

This would be better then changing out the whole stock intake for an aftermarket one?
Like I said it comes down to personal preference, because the aftermarket ones are quality products, it just comes to what you want.

(The intake mod probably does NOT free up any power but in theory it does help airflow at least.
crossintothebeemer is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-10-2011, 03:57 PM   #10
AlpineSwift
Colonel
 
AlpineSwift's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 335Xi Coupé
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Castle Rock, CO

Posts: 2,109
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznboi330i View Post
What's so funny?
Everything Nick said is bullshit. Without a tune you can't take full advantage of any CAI on our engines. And that BS about fully enclosed and heat protected, that's an even bigger crock of shit than stating the aFe actually makes power.

Wanna sound like a beast but go as fast as a lawnmower? Go ahead and drop the $400 on the aFe. Wanna gain some power and care less about how you sound up front? K&N drop in, charcoal filter delete, scoops, and maybe Gavin's secondary intake pipe mod.
__________________
E92 '08 335Xi 6AT - Cobb AP V2, ar design DP's, Race Cats in the mids, Stock cans, VRSF CP w/Tial BOV, VRSF 7" FMIC, BMS DCI, BMS Cowl, H&R Coilovers, Renn Motorsport RS-51's, Alpina TCU Flash, Turner Boost Gauge, Fully Coded.
Best 1/4mi: 13.201 @ 106.93 / 2.0 60' / DA=9300ft

Tanya: The Build Thread
AlpineSwift is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-10-2011, 09:59 PM   #11
aznboi330i
Second Lieutenant
 
aznboi330i's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 AW BMW 330i
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Florida

Posts: 269
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineSwift View Post
Everything Nick said is bullshit. Without a tune you can't take full advantage of any CAI on our engines. And that BS about fully enclosed and heat protected, that's an even bigger crock of shit than stating the aFe actually makes power.

Wanna sound like a beast but go as fast as a lawnmower? Go ahead and drop the $400 on the aFe. Wanna gain some power and care less about how you sound up front? K&N drop in, charcoal filter delete, scoops, and maybe Gavin's secondary intake pipe mod.
Lmao I like your comment about the lawnmower hahaha XD

I see your point though and it seems very plausible to me. So i'll just do what you said then. Is that your current set up??

Do you mind telling me where I can purchase these scoops and how they work? I'm not too familiar with them. Are they hard to install?

Also the Gavin's secondary intake pipe mod is something I havent heard of before. Mind filling me in on this mod and how much it'll cost?
aznboi330i is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-10-2011, 11:39 PM   #12
AlpineSwift
Colonel
 
AlpineSwift's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 335Xi Coupé
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Castle Rock, CO

Posts: 2,109
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznboi330i View Post
Lmao I like your comment about the lawnmower hahaha XD

I see your point though and it seems very plausible to me. So i'll just do what you said then. Is that your current set up??

Do you mind telling me where I can purchase these scoops and how they work? I'm not too familiar with them. Are they hard to install?

Also the Gavin's secondary intake pipe mod is something I havent heard of before. Mind filling me in on this mod and how much it'll cost?
I'm currently on the stock box with the charcoal delete, K&N drop in, and a modified intake tube (just deleted the silencer basically, can't see any benefit performance wise). The scoops are something I'll probably add sometime this month, most of the performance shops like **********s.com have them for sale. Very easy and quick to install, you won't see any difference in power until about 65-70mph though.

The secondary piping has its own write up on here if you do a search of gavin@mmw's threads. Its a 3" flexible hose that runs from the grille next to the drivers side foglight up to the bottom front corner of the stock intake box. You need to drill a hole big enough for it of course and it wouldn't hurt to stick an additional cone filter on the end of it so you don't suck up any nasty BS in the engine. I have yet to see any dyno benefits of doing this mod but Gavin is currently running it on his 328 and hasn't had any complaints.
__________________
E92 '08 335Xi 6AT - Cobb AP V2, ar design DP's, Race Cats in the mids, Stock cans, VRSF CP w/Tial BOV, VRSF 7" FMIC, BMS DCI, BMS Cowl, H&R Coilovers, Renn Motorsport RS-51's, Alpina TCU Flash, Turner Boost Gauge, Fully Coded.
Best 1/4mi: 13.201 @ 106.93 / 2.0 60' / DA=9300ft

Tanya: The Build Thread
AlpineSwift is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-11-2011, 12:00 AM   #13
aznboi330i
Second Lieutenant
 
aznboi330i's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 AW BMW 330i
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Florida

Posts: 269
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineSwift View Post
I'm currently on the stock box with the charcoal delete, K&N drop in, and a modified intake tube (just deleted the silencer basically, can't see any benefit performance wise). The scoops are something I'll probably add sometime this month, most of the performance shops like **********s.com have them for sale. Very easy and quick to install, you won't see any difference in power until about 65-70mph though.

The secondary piping has its own write up on here if you do a search of gavin@mmw's threads. Its a 3" flexible hose that runs from the grille next to the drivers side foglight up to the bottom front corner of the stock intake box. You need to drill a hole big enough for it of course and it wouldn't hurt to stick an additional cone filter on the end of it so you don't suck up any nasty BS in the engine. I have yet to see any dyno benefits of doing this mod but Gavin is currently running it on his 328 and hasn't had any complaints.
Vurry nizz!! Did you notice your car running a lot smoother after you did the drop in and charcoal delete? Better throttle response by any chance? Sorry for asking all these questions I just want to make sure I get the facts straight before I do anything to my car.

Once again thanks for such awesome info!
aznboi330i is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-11-2011, 08:57 AM   #14
benzo23
Colonel
 
benzo23's Avatar
 
Drives: 14 F30 AW MSport
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: FL

Posts: 2,886
iTrader: (1)

I did the filter delete with k&N, and didnt really notice a thing. Its deff more free flowing tho without the restriction of the charcoal filter being in there thats for sure.

Last edited by benzo23; 04-12-2011 at 01:24 PM.
benzo23 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-11-2011, 08:04 PM   #15
mmmmm235i
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 235i
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New York

Posts: 323
iTrader: (9)

Assuming that an aftermarket intake is solely a sound mod, about how much power do you think is lost using it. Most intakes advertise about a 1-2 hp increase, so I never even understood who was claiming it was for performance anyway. One could gain about that much from losing a passenger or two. So my question is if you are not "feeling" any power loss using the aftermarket intake how much do you think is lost. Or when people say they offer no performance gains they are saying performance just remains stock. Basically I want to know if aftermarket intakes are useless because they cost money and offer no gains or because they actually cause a loss of power. If someone could point me towards some evidence rather than opinion that would be very helpful.
__________________
2014 M235i Black on Black
mmmmm235i is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-11-2011, 08:17 PM   #16
AlpineSwift
Colonel
 
AlpineSwift's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 335Xi Coupé
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Castle Rock, CO

Posts: 2,109
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09328i View Post
Assuming that an aftermarket intake is solely a sound mod, about how much power do you think is lost using it. Most intakes advertise about a 1-2 hp increase, so I never even understood who was claiming it was for performance anyway. One could gain about that much from losing a passenger or two. So my question is if you are not "feeling" any power loss using the aftermarket intake how much do you think is lost. Or when people say they offer no performance gains they are saying performance just remains stock. Basically I want to know if aftermarket intakes are useless because they cost money and offer no gains or because they actually cause a loss of power. If someone could point me towards some evidence rather than opinion that would be very helpful.
First off I'd like to say to OP that the throttle response and sound is slightly better than stock with the K&N and charcoal delete. My numbers have improved by 5awhp and 10awtq with just the intake mods I have now and a muffler delete. Obviously those numbers will be better on a RWD car.

2nd, I put the afe on today just for shits and giggles. Uninstalled in within 10 minutes of driving on it. My 0-60 times are on average around 6-7 seconds with the stock modified box, right? With the afe my 0-60 tanked to roughly 8-9 seconds.

THAT is how bad it REALLY is. Sorry I don't have a mount for my camera or a gopro to prove this information but please take my word for it as this is the 2nd time I've uninstalled the intake even after it was properly installed and the entire computer was reset from unhooking the battery for about a half an hour.
__________________
E92 '08 335Xi 6AT - Cobb AP V2, ar design DP's, Race Cats in the mids, Stock cans, VRSF CP w/Tial BOV, VRSF 7" FMIC, BMS DCI, BMS Cowl, H&R Coilovers, Renn Motorsport RS-51's, Alpina TCU Flash, Turner Boost Gauge, Fully Coded.
Best 1/4mi: 13.201 @ 106.93 / 2.0 60' / DA=9300ft

Tanya: The Build Thread
AlpineSwift is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-11-2011, 08:49 PM   #17
twistedm3
Enlisted Member
 
twistedm3's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 330i
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: San Diego

Posts: 48
iTrader: (0)

There really are only two options that have repeatedly been favored and suggested here and neither have received negative comments, like about lose of low end, heat soak, or drawing in hot engine air:
  • US air box with carbon delete, K&N flat filter and air scopes.
  • Euro air box with K&N round air filter and air scopes.

If you have the money for an AFE or INJEN, then go the direction of the Euro air box and some scopes. You will be very happy with it and the car will pull like it never has. You'll be saying to yourself, OMG this thing does make power above 4K. There are several other post here on the Euro air box worth noting.
twistedm3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-12-2011, 02:00 AM   #18
Wlew
Major
 
Wlew's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 330i
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Charlotte, NC

Posts: 1,046
iTrader: (11)

afe is a piece of shit. +1 to that.

I have tried both. i can tell you for certain that the K&N drop in with a charcoal delete and scoops makes a big difference compared to afe. scoops wont do much till about 80mph, and even then its debatable and impossible to dyno. Cant hurt though.

if you really want to spend the money either go with Dinan's ram air, which is similar to MMW set up, or the BMW performance intake. but neither is worth the $$ for the small amount of power increase. spend you money on a tune and exhaust. end of story.

also, try a search.
__________________
2006 330i |premium package | Sports package | BMS Power Box | AA Tune | K&N Drop in | Charcoal Delete | Mforce Design Air Scoops | MMW CS Exhaust w/ second cat delete | Resonator Delete | Eibach Pro-kit | Koni Yellows | Mtec fogs | Mtec v2 Angel eyes | M3 Tri-stitched steering wheel | BMW Strut Bar | 19" Avant Garde M310's | Cooper Zeon 2xs | OEM Blacklines | WTB: Dinan High Flow Throttle Body
Wlew is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-12-2011, 08:28 AM   #19
psre08
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 330i E90 & 330Ci E46
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Ottawa

Posts: 204
iTrader: (3)

Either go with the euro airbox or BMW performance intake.
psre08 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      04-12-2011, 11:55 AM   #20
Chewy734
Major General
 
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i ZPP, ZSP
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Minneapolis, MN

Posts: 6,778
iTrader: (15)

Injen v2, imo.
__________________

Currently for sale: N/A
Chewy734 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-12-2011, 04:02 PM   #21
aznboi330i
Second Lieutenant
 
aznboi330i's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 AW BMW 330i
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Florida

Posts: 269
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Thanks guys! I've made my decision and I'm going to do the K&N drop in with the charcoal delete and air scoops! Just ordered everything today! Can't wait to get everything and install them! Everything only cost me $80 XD
__________________

2006 AW AT BMW 330i |LUX 5.1||Charcoal delete||K&N drop in||Cyba Airscoops||AA tune Stage 2||M-tech Splitters||Silver Etched Glass Amber Overlays||
WTB: A set of Avant Garde 310's
aznboi330i is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-12-2011, 08:01 PM   #22
Dlu69
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2006 330i
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Toronto

Posts: 126
iTrader: (0)

whats the K&N cost and where do I get it?
Dlu69 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:45 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST