E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > REPORT: Proof that Riss Racing Oil Catch Can DOES Work

04-10-2011, 10:54 PM   #23
skim7x
Use it or Lose it
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i e92

Garage List
2007 335i  [5.00]
I mentioned this in an earlier post, but still hoping someone can help me out with this:

Is there a way to wash out any residual oil in there? I'd like to just do a full flush while it's out getting new washers...

COBB ProTuned| AMS | CP-e | BMS | Quaife
[Newark Photoshoot #1]
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2011, 10:56 PM   #24
N54_Fan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by skim7x View Post
I mentioned this in an earlier post, but still hoping someone can help me out with this:

Is there a way to wash out any residual oil in there? I'd like to just do a full flush while it's out getting new washers...
Just leave it alone....It's oil. You drain your oil pan when doing an oil change but do not "wash it out"...Right? If you put water in there I suspect it will rust the steel wool.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2011, 11:08 PM   #25
skim7x
Use it or Lose it
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by N54_Fan View Post
Just leave it alone....It's oil. You drain your oil pan when doing an oil change but do not "wash it out"...Right? If you put water in there I suspect it will rust the steel wool.
Yeah, i wasn't going to put water in there... but good call... I'll just leave good enough alone.

[Newark Photoshoot #1]
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 02:23 AM   #26
Sparky66
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335 E92 Coupe. Jet Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasillalov View Post
I'd like to know if your outlet tube has any oil in it. If it does then your OCC may not have captured all of the oil fumes.
+1.............just because you are seeing alot of oil in the can, doesn't mean a large portion of it didn't get to your intake. The true test of a good catch can is one where the tube leading out to the intake is dry and oil free.
Seems like the way we run in these engines from the start, may be determining just how much blowby we are getting past the piston/rings and how much oil we invariably see in the catch can.
      04-11-2011, 10:38 AM   #27
skim7x
Use it or Lose it
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky66 View Post
+1.............just because you are seeing alot of oil in the can, doesn't mean a large portion of it didn't get to your intake. The true test of a good catch can is one where the tube leading out to the intake is dry and oil free.
Seems like the way we run in these engines from the start, may be determining just how much blowby we are getting past the piston/rings and how much oil we invariably see in the catch can.
When I take my catch can out tomorrow, I'll check out the tubing as well and see if there is any residual oil in the outlet nozzle and let you guys know...

[Newark Photoshoot #1]
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 10:48 AM   #28
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: C6 Z06, GSXR-750, 09 335i

Send a message via AIM to Jeff@TopGearSolutions
Mine works too

I re-did all the seals with gasket maker but it BARELY leaked from the get-go.

This was 5000-6000 miles on a BRAND NEW CAR.

(As you can see in the pic I cleaned it out with brake cleaner).

My intakes are always clean, I also run methanol.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 11:21 AM   #29
skim7x
Use it or Lose it
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [5.00]
Another question...

Is the clear "view chamber" necessary? Since it's leaking, I'm wondering if I could just remove the plastic tubing altogether and use epoxy or something and just seal the holes shut... that would prevent leaking and apparently my "view chamber" doesn't work anyways, as evidenced by it not showing ANY oil in it before I emptied out 1/4 red-beer-cup of oil from the catchcan (see post #1)

[Newark Photoshoot #1]
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 11:56 AM   #30
Joshboody
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: pickemuptruck

could the RR can leak because of the blowby pressure... not sufficiently pulling the gases with vacuum, and/or too restrictive in general.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 04:18 PM   #31
cn555ic
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Bimmerscoding.com

Send a message via Yahoo to cn555ic
Here is my contribution to the thread with a pic of 3000 miles...No leaks by the blow by fittings at all and the orings needed to be changed out from wear and tear as the O-rings are dried and cracked from heat and there is minor leak at the orings, which new orings should take care of that until the next time I empty the can...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 09:14 PM   #32
N54_Fan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by skim7x View Post
Another question...

Is the clear "view chamber" necessary? Since it's leaking, I'm wondering if I could just remove the plastic tubing altogether and use epoxy or something and just seal the holes shut... that would prevent leaking and apparently my "view chamber" doesn't work anyways, as evidenced by it not showing ANY oil in it before I emptied out 1/4 red-beer-cup of oil from the catchcan (see post #1)
I tried every fitting type in town (spent days looking for this) to accomodate this and seal this off with a bolt of some sort but with little success. If I remember correctly it is unique type of bolt that would be required because of the type of threads on the bolt that is needed. I even looked into grease nozzles with a 1 way valve because they had the proper fitting but I could not find one I was comfortable with. I suppose you could weld something on there or fill it with epoxy but that OCC gets HOT and what will happen to the epoxy under those temps? Hate to see that epoxy expand and then leak oil everywhere.

I really think the 42 Draft Design will be the ticket...at least I hope so. I have one on the way and will compare to the Piss Racing one I have.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 12:22 PM   #33
muzzammil15
Slurpee anyone?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 White 335i

Send a message via MSN to muzzammil15
I didn't want to start a new thread, figure I just revive a old one. I was wondering if people are using check valve with their oil catch can. The check valve would close under boost, thus stop leaks under load. Under vacuum it would be open. If someone is using the check valve, I would appreciate your feed back. Thanks!!

Appreciate 0