E90Post
 


European Auto Source
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > BMW Hires lead engineer for the Chevy Volt, Frank Weber



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-11-2011, 09:52 AM   #1
Mark
Administrator
Mark's Avatar
United_States
1889
Rep
4,011
Posts

 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: USA

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
BMW Hires lead engineer for the Chevy Volt, Frank Weber

BIMMERPOST NEWS
BMW Hires lead engineer for the Chevy Volt, Frank Weber
11
COMMENTS
Name:  mrweber.jpg
Views: 1954
Size:  44.3 KB


Just a a day ago, when I first read that Frank Weber, Chevrolet Volt lead engineer turned Opel executive, it got my mind thinking. Likely some sort of internal politics? Disagreement on strategies? Well, it seems to be the case that BMW is taking its commitment to electric thinking very seriously and going for the jugular.

Reports right now are indicating that it was in fact BMW who has hired Mr. Weber away from Opel. Mr. Weber will be working directly under BMW's head of research and development, Klaus Draeger. Although no engineering slouch, BMW's expertise in the arena of EVs has certainly increased with the addition of Mr. Weber, who is a German native himself and should make the transition fairly easily.

The future seems bright for BMW and its push into electric vehicles with its BMW i sub-brand that will see the launch of the light-weight carbon-fibre electric powered i3 and i8 in 2013 (with a preview of the vehicles at the 2012 London Olympics).

[Source: AutoBlog]

__________________
I'll take one please. BMW M3.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 10:32 AM   #2
antzcrashing
... can I get a 1M
antzcrashing's Avatar
13
Rep
1,109
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 330i
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Miami FL

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [5.00]
BMW moving all the pawns in the direction of the "Electrical Car Queen".

Be careful though BMW, if you shy away from convincing USA that Diesel is the way, how will you convince us that plugging in our cars is practical?

I believe electric cars can be in fact more practical than IC, because you could never have to visit the pump (just charge overnight) - but many people don't agree.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 11:07 AM   #3
kmarei
Major General
kmarei's Avatar
Egypt
130
Rep
6,481
Posts

 
Drives: 1988 E30 M3 Evo II
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Reston, VA

iTrader: (33)

Garage List
so how far we from a 12v 335 and a 15v M3?
with the 335 owners saying they can mod their car with a JB23+ to put out 16v!!
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 12:51 PM   #4
Eccentric
Lieutenant
Eccentric's Avatar
11
Rep
576
Posts

 
Drives: Interlagos Z4 M Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: In a van, down by the river.

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarei View Post
so how far we from a 12v 335 and a 15v M3?
with the 335 owners saying they can mod their car with a JB23 to put out 16v!!
Niiice
__________________
WE ARE!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 01:01 PM   #5
txz4
Major
txz4's Avatar
18
Rep
1,098
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 M coupe
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: san antonio, texas

iTrader: (3)

yuk, hydrogen or bust. anything else isnt a even solution.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 06:40 PM   #6
Cuz5150
Major
Cuz5150's Avatar
21
Rep
1,274
Posts

 
Drives: 06-M3ZHP/04-M3 Vert/02Duc998
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by txz4 View Post
yuk, hydrogen or bust. anything else isnt a even solution.
^^^This^^^

I'm with you
__________________
-Diplomacy is saying, "nice doggie while trying to find a rock"-

04-M3 vert-Black/Imolla/6MT/Cold/Xenon/HK/
06-M3 Cp-Mystic/Black/6MT/Comp/Xenon/HK/
09-135i- AW/Bk-Lette/6MT/M-pac/Nav/Hi-Fi/Usb-Ipod/SOLD
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 12:38 AM   #7
///M 4 Life
Captain
///M 4 Life's Avatar
15
Rep
857
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 ///M6 CP
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Central Jersey

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by txz4 View Post
yuk, hydrogen or bust. anything else isnt a even solution.

i feel like hydrogen was a great idea but to damn dangerous. Electric is def the future
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 05:27 AM   #8
ENINTY
Banned
51
Rep
3,415
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 325i Sport
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Virginia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by antzcrashing View Post
BMW moving all the pawns in the direction of the "Electrical Car Queen".

Be careful though BMW, if you shy away from convincing USA that Diesel is the way, how will you convince us that plugging in our cars is practical?

I believe electric cars can be in fact more practical than IC, because you could never have to visit the pump (just charge overnight) - but many people don't agree.
The people who don't agree with electric cars are the ones who understand the technology, fuel producing infrastructure, and economics at play.

Petroleum-based fuels are going to remain the primary fuel for transportation for the next 30- 50 years, and probably longer. The reason is very simple; petrol-based fuels provide the least expensive and highest energy density of any available fuel source. This allows for the longest possible drive cycle between fuel stops of any fuel currently produced and available in the future. It was learned over 100 years ago when there were three primary fuel sources – gasoline, electricity, steam - (all at the time with little or no infrastructure in place to produce them) that gasoline was the best energy storage fuel type. Gasoline won out the battle and now has the most efficient production infrastructure behind it, making it the cheapest fuel to produce. Any other new type of fuel source, be it hydrogen or chemical battery, has to compete with the petroleum industry to make a more cost-efficient fuel, or an at-least-as-cost-efficient fuel as gasoline, diesel and jet fuel.

And jet fuel is where the rub is. Millions of people a day depend on jet aircraft for travel. Jets are highly efficient in moving goods and people far distances at a low cost. Jets are able to fly because they use a fuel type that has a very high energy storage to weight ratio. There is no alternative fuel source for jets that will come on line in the near future to replace jet fuel as there is for cars such as electricity. Electricity is only viable for cars because the limit of its energy storage for drive range (of 80 - 100 miles per fill up) is somewhat acceptable in most cases. Because there is no alternative fuel source for jets, aviation transportation will rely on petrol-based fuel for the next several decades.

Although governments can try to dictate the use of alternate fuels for automobiles (such as electricity), however because there are jets flying that have to rely on petrol-based fuels, the infrastructure that makes aviation fuel will remain in place and will provide the least-expensive, highest density fuel source for cars, which will continue to be the best economical choice for automobile companies to design their products around.

Electric cars will remain as a secondary household car for those people who drive less than 80 miles between charges and can afford to own more than one vehicle, and who will rely on their IC engine car for real transporation needs. And the Volt is not an electric car anyway, it's a gasoline-powered series plug-in hybrid.

Last edited by ENINTY; 04-12-2011 at 05:56 AM.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 11:09 AM   #9
ddigangi
'Murica
ddigangi's Avatar
United_States
21
Rep
597
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 E90 330i
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
what a nerd.

hahahaha
__________________
Web developer at @ Apartments.com, digital media director, budding entrepreneur, technology guru and marketing nut with an affliction for the finer things in life.

I blog at http://ddigangi.com
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 08:55 PM   #10
ENINTY
Banned
51
Rep
3,415
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 325i Sport
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Virginia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddigangi View Post
what a nerd.

hahahaha
Says the "social network guru"
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 12:38 AM   #11
bavarianboar
Major
bavarianboar's Avatar
United_States
27
Rep
1,366
Posts

 
Drives: on the freeway
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENINTY View Post
The people who don't agree with electric cars are the ones who understand the technology, fuel producing infrastructure, and economics at play.

Petroleum-based fuels are going to remain the primary fuel for transportation for the next 30- 50 years, and probably longer. The reason is very simple; petrol-based fuels provide the least expensive and highest energy density of any available fuel source. This allows for the longest possible drive cycle between fuel stops of any fuel currently produced and available in the future. It was learned over 100 years ago when there were three primary fuel sources gasoline, electricity, steam - (all at the time with little or no infrastructure in place to produce them) that gasoline was the best energy storage fuel type. Gasoline won out the battle and now has the most efficient production infrastructure behind it, making it the cheapest fuel to produce. Any other new type of fuel source, be it hydrogen or chemical battery, has to compete with the petroleum industry to make a more cost-efficient fuel, or an at-least-as-cost-efficient fuel as gasoline, diesel and jet fuel.

And jet fuel is where the rub is. Millions of people a day depend on jet aircraft for travel. Jets are highly efficient in moving goods and people far distances at a low cost. Jets are able to fly because they use a fuel type that has a very high energy storage to weight ratio. There is no alternative fuel source for jets that will come on line in the near future to replace jet fuel as there is for cars such as electricity. Electricity is only viable for cars because the limit of its energy storage for drive range (of 80 - 100 miles per fill up) is somewhat acceptable in most cases. Because there is no alternative fuel source for jets, aviation transportation will rely on petrol-based fuel for the next several decades.

Although governments can try to dictate the use of alternate fuels for automobiles (such as electricity), however because there are jets flying that have to rely on petrol-based fuels, the infrastructure that makes aviation fuel will remain in place and will provide the least-expensive, highest density fuel source for cars, which will continue to be the best economical choice for automobile companies to design their products around.

Electric cars will remain as a secondary household car for those people who drive less than 80 miles between charges and can afford to own more than one vehicle, and who will rely on their IC engine car for real transporation needs. And the Volt is not an electric car anyway, it's a gasoline-powered series plug-in hybrid.

Did you write that yourself? You could be a journalist for a magazine,



If not, it will be nice to see more text from an article you are quoting
__________________

2014 335i MSport Mineral Gray Metallic, Coral Red, Premium/Cold Weather/Dynamic Handling. 19" 403M wheels, Sport Auto, Delivery: 10/18

2011 328i Sedan. Deep Sea Blue/Oyster. Gone but not forgotten.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 05:20 AM   #12
ENINTY
Banned
51
Rep
3,415
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 325i Sport
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Virginia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianboar View Post
Did you write that yourself? You could be a journalist for a magazine,



If not, it will be nice to see more text from an article you are quoting
No referenced article used; all original thought. I work in the transportation business related to aviation.

And another thought I didn't include is that even if a new high-density-to-weight ratio fuel was developed for jets that didn't depend on the petroleum industry for production (which would mean probably a new type of propulsion system) the transition to it would take decades. The transition would be long due to making the economics work and getting the new system flight certified. The FAA takes a really long time to adopt new technology because they run it through an extensive safety evaluation process. Switching to an entirely new propulsion system would be a huge undertaking for the FAA.

Last edited by ENINTY; 04-13-2011 at 05:33 AM.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:07 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST