E90Post
 


 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Photography/Videography > *OFFICIAL* general photography conversation thread



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-29-2014, 01:50 PM   #4709
M_Six
Free Thinker
 
M_Six's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 MB C300 4matic
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Foothills of Mt Level

Posts: 4,845
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
If there is a more versatile Canon walk-around lens than the 24-105L, I have yet to hear of it. I just spent the day in Central Park with it mounted to my 5D MkIII and it was perfect for everything.
__________________
Mark
Randomography
Flickr

"The $0.99 menu was put on this Earth for a good damn reason." -Weebl
M_Six is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-29-2014, 01:58 PM   #4710
Weebl
Weebl wobbles but eats Pie
 
Drives: 2008 335i, 2000 740i
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: SF Bay Area

Posts: 1,509
iTrader: (0)

24-70 .... have that yet?
__________________
Kevingoto.smugmug.com
2000 740i-Annalisa and 2008 335i-Weebl. Weebl may wobble but has DTC
Weebl is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-29-2014, 02:12 PM   #4711
druu
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2013 AW e92 335i xdrive Msport
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: NYC

Posts: 199
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
If there is a more versatile Canon walk-around lens than the 24-105L, I have yet to hear of it. I just spent the day in Central Park with it mounted to my 5D MkIII and it was perfect for everything.
If you're in town pm me if you want some better/less well known photo spots (if you're going hunting that is).

I do prefer an extra stop of light from a 24-70 over the extra reach though. But generally speaking 24-105 is literally the most useful range for general photography.
druu is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-29-2014, 02:32 PM   #4712
M_Six
Free Thinker
 
M_Six's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 MB C300 4matic
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Foothills of Mt Level

Posts: 4,845
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
I have a couple of shots from today where I benefited from the extra reach. I didn't do much wide open shooting, or when I did, F4 was fine. Not sure the 24-70 would have been nearly as useful today. Of course this evening will be a different story.
__________________
Mark
Randomography
Flickr

"The $0.99 menu was put on this Earth for a good damn reason." -Weebl
M_Six is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-29-2014, 06:21 PM   #4713
gary88
Ikea enthusiast
 
gary88's Avatar
 
Drives: '07 E92 335i
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Chicago, IL

Posts: 7,965
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [3.91]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
If there is a more versatile Canon walk-around lens than the 24-105L, I have yet to hear of it. I just spent the day in Central Park with it mounted to my 5D MkIII and it was perfect for everything.
24-105L IS
__________________

garyhebdingjr.com | flickr | Instagram@garyhebding
gary88 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-29-2014, 07:12 PM   #4714
druu
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2013 AW e92 335i xdrive Msport
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: NYC

Posts: 199
iTrader: (0)

Samples being posted soon. This fuji 18-55 kit lens is damn amazing for a kit lens. granted it is a 18-55 f/2.8-4, so its not your typical kit, but i'm still impressed. Basically for vacation this thing is everything you would need in a small package. Urge to buy primes has lessened slightly. Slightly.
druu is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-29-2014, 08:14 PM   #4715
Itsed65
Major
 
Itsed65's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 X1 28i
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: SF East Bay

Posts: 1,119
iTrader: (0)

I really want to try the 24-70 out someday, as just about every pro I see that uses Canon has one, but I will say that my 24-105 has never left me wishing for that extra stop, and got serious use on my recent trip to Yosemite, where I was usually shooting at f8 or f11 anyway.

I bet the Fuji is really nice. I actually used my NEX 6 quite a bit on my last trip too, and really appreciated the small package when venturing away from the car.
Itsed65 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-29-2014, 09:35 PM   #4716
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
 
BrokenVert's Avatar
 
Drives: Topless Electric Boogaloo
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Fahrvergnügen

Posts: 9,806
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsed65 View Post
I really want to try the 24-70 out someday, as just about every pro I see that uses Canon has one, but I will say that my 24-105 has never left me wishing for that extra stop, and got serious use on my recent trip to Yosemite, where I was usually shooting at f8 or f11 anyway.

I bet the Fuji is really nice. I actually used my NEX 6 quite a bit on my last trip too, and really appreciated the small package when venturing away from the car.
What's the use? I've never seen someone with that lens in my work. Its either the 16-35 or a telephoto.
BrokenVert is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-29-2014, 09:52 PM   #4717
IRide
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2012 335i Coupe
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Little Rock, AR

Posts: 234
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by druu View Post
Samples being posted soon. This fuji 18-55 kit lens is damn amazing for a kit lens. granted it is a 18-55 f/2.8-4, so its not your typical kit, but i'm still impressed. Basically for vacation this thing is everything you would need in a small package. Urge to buy primes has lessened slightly. Slightly.
I decided to give the Fuji 10-24 f/4 a try at a familiar location while hoping for a colorful sunrise...didn't happen.

IRide is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-29-2014, 10:23 PM   #4718
druu
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2013 AW e92 335i xdrive Msport
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: NYC

Posts: 199
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
What's the use? I've never seen someone with that lens in my work. Its either the 16-35 or a telephoto.
For event shooting 24mm is usually wide enough and the distortion is much more well controlled for people photos. That said, i usually find myself with an ultrawide and a 50L, or a 35L/85L combo and use my feet to zoom when i'm carrying two bodies at once. I've only rented the new 24-70, but its ridiculous, definitely sharper than a 16-35 at all focal lengths that overlap.
druu is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-30-2014, 09:12 PM   #4719
dcstep
Brigadier General
 
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Colorado

Posts: 4,792
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 M3  [4.00]
Anyone using wide-angle and ultra-wide angle lenses and/or wide zooms, should use digital lens optimization during their Raw conversion. Digital Photo Profession, DxO Optics Pro, Lightroom and other software will automatically adjust for geometric distortion, chromatic aberration, vignetting, and other distortion at every focal length and every aperture.

I use my EF 24-105mm f/4L IS as one of my main lenses, including critical landscapes on my tripod, with mirror lock-up, low ISO, etc., resulting in seriously sharp images. Without DLO, I was ready to send my 24-105mm back to Canon for adjustment (I'd received clearance to do so), but with it, I'm extremely pleased with prints up to 50" on the long side. (I'm going to try some larger prints).

Dave
__________________
dcstep is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-30-2014, 10:40 PM   #4720
druu
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2013 AW e92 335i xdrive Msport
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: NYC

Posts: 199
iTrader: (0)

I find that even with optimizaton and distortion correction, sometimes people's faces still don't look very flattering especially near when far from the center. As a results i try not to get too wide with the people photos (especially group photos), at 24mm though i'm a lot safer than say at the 16mm end of an UWA. For everything else though, UWA zooms and useful walkarounds like the 24-105 and 24-70 are excellent for just about anything you can throw at them.
druu is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-31-2014, 11:45 AM   #4721
dcstep
Brigadier General
 
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Colorado

Posts: 4,792
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 M3  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by druu View Post
I find that even with optimizaton and distortion correction, sometimes people's faces still don't look very flattering especially near when far from the center. As a results i try not to get too wide with the people photos (especially group photos), at 24mm though i'm a lot safer than say at the 16mm end of an UWA. For everything else though, UWA zooms and useful walkarounds like the 24-105 and 24-70 are excellent for just about anything you can throw at them.
Agreed.

I usually use my 70-200mm for head shots.

Dave
__________________
dcstep is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-06-2014, 12:39 PM   #4722
druu
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2013 AW e92 335i xdrive Msport
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: NYC

Posts: 199
iTrader: (0)

Anyone have any photography tips/spots in toronto? I'm there on business next week.
druu is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-14-2014, 07:33 AM   #4723
triton3k
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2007 Acura TL Type-S
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: The Bronx NYC

Posts: 553
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to triton3k Send a message via Yahoo to triton3k
Quote:
Originally Posted by druu View Post
For event shooting 24mm is usually wide enough and the distortion is much more well controlled for people photos. That said, i usually find myself with an ultrawide and a 50L, or a 35L/85L combo and use my feet to zoom when i'm carrying two bodies at once. I've only rented the new 24-70, but its ridiculous, definitely sharper than a 16-35 at all focal lengths that overlap.
I find that shooting events I tend to use my 24L more than my 35L for that extra reach especially when i'm dealing with groups and not so much space behind me. I'm still fighting the urge to get a 24-70 because it'll only be used at events I do once in awhile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
Anyone using wide-angle and ultra-wide angle lenses and/or wide zooms, should use digital lens optimization during their Raw conversion. Digital Photo Profession, DxO Optics Pro, Lightroom and other software will automatically adjust for geometric distortion, chromatic aberration, vignetting, and other distortion at every focal length and every aperture.

I use my EF 24-105mm f/4L IS as one of my main lenses, including critical landscapes on my tripod, with mirror lock-up, low ISO, etc., resulting in seriously sharp images. Without DLO, I was ready to send my 24-105mm back to Canon for adjustment (I'd received clearance to do so), but with it, I'm extremely pleased with prints up to 50" on the long side. (I'm going to try some larger prints).

Dave
My only issue with DLO is that it takes up double the space which to me means more hard drives which isnt a big issue but at times it can be a pain. But maybe I'll give it another shot and see how much more it helps since i'm always shooting with my 24L.
__________________
Denn-Ice
triton3k is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-14-2014, 10:34 AM   #4724
dcstep
Brigadier General
 
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Colorado

Posts: 4,792
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 M3  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by triton3k View Post

My only issue with DLO is that it takes up double the space which to me means more hard drives which isnt a big issue but at times it can be a pain. But maybe I'll give it another shot and see how much more it helps since i'm always shooting with my 24L.
I consider storage "cheap" and keep the Raw file and the final JPEG. If there's a TIFF in the middle for some reason, I keep that also. IME, the final JPEG is no larger with DLO than without.

Dave
__________________
dcstep is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-28-2014, 02:47 PM   #4725
remmib
General
 
remmib's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Norway

Posts: 25,954
iTrader: (0)

I see Flickr changed design a few days ago, and now I can't find a way to view the pics in different sizes as I could before.
__________________

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3D Design Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
remmib is offline   Norway
0
Reply With Quote
      06-28-2014, 03:29 PM   #4726
Itsed65
Major
 
Itsed65's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 X1 28i
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: SF East Bay

Posts: 1,119
iTrader: (0)

You have to click the little arrow at the bottom right corner of the display, which is more like the old version where you can look at all sizes
Attached Images
 
Itsed65 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-29-2014, 04:24 AM   #4727
remmib
General
 
remmib's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Norway

Posts: 25,954
iTrader: (0)

^Thanks, I found out right after I posted, didn't push the download button at first.
__________________

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3D Design Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
remmib is offline   Norway
0
Reply With Quote
      07-13-2014, 09:51 AM   #4728
Chewy734
Major General
 
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i ZPP, ZSP
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Minneapolis, MN

Posts: 6,744
iTrader: (15)

Hey guys,

I'm finally back... moved to a new place, got a house, got a new job, survived the apocalyptic winter weather, and continued my photography "hobby" after a 6 month hiatus.

It'll take me a while to catch up here.
__________________

Currently for sale: N/A
Chewy734 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-13-2014, 10:03 AM   #4729
dcstep
Brigadier General
 
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Colorado

Posts: 4,792
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 M3  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy734 View Post
Hey guys,

I'm finally back... moved to a new place, got a house, got a new job, survived the apocalyptic winter weather, and continued my photography "hobby" after a 6 month hiatus.

It'll take me a while to catch up here.
Welcome back and congrats on all the new things happening. Good luck with all that.

Dave
__________________
dcstep is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-13-2014, 10:59 AM   #4730
Chewy734
Major General
 
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i ZPP, ZSP
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Minneapolis, MN

Posts: 6,744
iTrader: (15)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
Welcome back and congrats on all the new things happening. Good luck with all that.

Dave
Thanks, Dave. Anything new going on?

You'll be happy to hear I bought an Induro CT214 tripod with a BHL2 ball head before my last vacation.
__________________

Currently for sale: N/A
Chewy734 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:04 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST