E90Post
 


MINHS Auto Care Center
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Dinan intake problem...help



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-28-2011, 07:44 PM   #1
Bpower
Banned
 
Drives: E-90
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Garage :)

Posts: 431
iTrader: (7)

Dinan intake problem...help

I had the intake for about a week now, got it installed everything was fine and couldn't be happier until today. One of the clips on the box keeps coming off every time I go for a ride. Please suggest a fix to this. I am thinking the edge is too rounded and the clip wont sit in properly. I called Dinan and they claim its good and its a known issue that keeps happening to a lot of people and i am not installing the lid right. Dinan's fix to a problem so far was for me to return the system. Now, if i do return it would they buy me a new fender liner and brake duct hose that was altered to install the thing? I would think 1100 dollars could buy you a part that is top notch quality, I guess i was wrong . I hope you Dinan guys never have a problem with your Dinan stuff or else you would find yourself in a pickle trying to argue your way to get something resolved.



Bpower is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-28-2011, 07:52 PM   #2
rgpwr
Second Lieutenant
 
rgpwr's Avatar
 
Drives: 09.335i
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Tucson, AZ

Posts: 294
iTrader: (0)

I would just bend the top part of the clip down a bit to create a tighter fit
__________________
[ 09.e92.335i.a52 / procede.v5 / ets.fmic / afe.intake / eibach.pro / avantgarde.m310 / dimisa.4 / cityvision.ae ]
rgpwr is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-28-2011, 08:06 PM   #3
Bpower
Banned
 
Drives: E-90
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Garage :)

Posts: 431
iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgpwr View Post
I would just bend the top part of the clip down a bit to create a tighter fit
Ohh trust me its tight . I almost broke my thumb trying to put it on.
Bpower is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-28-2011, 08:18 PM   #4
tmdb335
Second Lieutenant
 
tmdb335's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 335 xi coupe
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: boyds, md

Posts: 238
iTrader: (2)

you could also notch it a little bit and create a small groove for the clip to seat in. When you put the clip on you would never see it. Best of luck. The intake does look very nice.
__________________


C6 procharged 600whp
tmdb335 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-28-2011, 08:20 PM   #5
Bpower
Banned
 
Drives: E-90
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Garage :)

Posts: 431
iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmdb335 View Post
you could also notch it a little bit and create a small groove for the clip to seat in. When you put the clip on you would never see it. Best of luck. The intake does look very nice.
Yeah man, I am in the process of doing that. I wish I had the part that fits!
Bpower is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-28-2011, 08:23 PM   #6
tmdb335
Second Lieutenant
 
tmdb335's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 335 xi coupe
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: boyds, md

Posts: 238
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpower View Post
Yeah man, I am in the process of doing that. I wish I had the part that fits!

lol I hear ya. I know for the money you would expect it to be flawless.
__________________


C6 procharged 600whp
tmdb335 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-28-2011, 08:27 PM   #7
Bpower
Banned
 
Drives: E-90
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Garage :)

Posts: 431
iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmdb335 View Post
lol I hear ya. I know for the money you would expect it to be flawless.
Cant believe i am taking a dremell tool to a 1100 dollar intake!
Bpower is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-28-2011, 08:28 PM   #8
tmdb335
Second Lieutenant
 
tmdb335's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 335 xi coupe
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: boyds, md

Posts: 238
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpower View Post
Cant believe i am taking a dremell tool to a 1100 dollar intake!
lol my tool of choice
__________________


C6 procharged 600whp
tmdb335 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-28-2011, 08:29 PM   #9
Agent11br
Captain
 
Agent11br's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 335i
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Birmingham, MI

Posts: 883
iTrader: (22)

Garage List
I hate to suggest this because it'll ruin your nice carbon fiber, but you could always mix up some good old JB Weld and make a nice little lip on the edge to prevent it from slipping off. Just a thought...
__________________
07 E90 335i TiAg/Black 6MT
Agent11br is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-28-2011, 08:31 PM   #10
Bpower
Banned
 
Drives: E-90
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Garage :)

Posts: 431
iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent11br View Post
I hate to suggest this because it'll ruin your nice carbon fiber, but you could always mix up some good old JB Weld and make a nice little lip on the edge to prevent it from slipping off. Just a thought...
LOL. 1100 dollars!!! JB weld that shit, lol Thanks man.I notched it out some. Fits much better. Now will hit it with clear coat.
Bpower is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-28-2011, 08:51 PM   #11
shortseller
Captain
 
Drives: 2010 E92 335i
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Northern VA

Posts: 758
iTrader: (0)

The simplest way if you already haven't taken a power tool to your Dinan intake is to use Friction tape - a type of adhesive tape made from cloth impregnated with a rubber-based adhesive and is mainly used to increase grip or friction. Because the adhesive is impregnated in the cloth, friction tape is sticky on both sides.
shortseller is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-28-2011, 08:59 PM   #12
Bpower
Banned
 
Drives: E-90
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Garage :)

Posts: 431
iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortseller View Post
The simplest way if you already haven't taken a power tool to your Dinan intake is to use Friction tape - a type of adhesive tape made from cloth impregnated with a rubber-based adhesive and is mainly used to increase grip or friction. Because the adhesive is impregnated in the cloth, friction tape is sticky on both sides.
That could do it I suppose . Power tool did the job, so I hope. I hit it with clear, going to polish when dry and retry the clip. If it still doesnt work i will shoot it with my Glock and then send it to Dinan for a refund with a bullet hole in it.
Bpower is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-28-2011, 10:23 PM   #13
tmdb335
Second Lieutenant
 
tmdb335's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 335 xi coupe
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: boyds, md

Posts: 238
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpower View Post
That could do it I suppose . Power tool did the job, so I hope. I hit it with clear, going to polish when dry and retry the clip. If it still doesnt work i will shoot it with my Glock and then send it to Dinan for a refund with a bullet hole in it.
I have 3 45's you could borrow lol
__________________


C6 procharged 600whp
tmdb335 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-28-2011, 10:28 PM   #14
Bpower
Banned
 
Drives: E-90
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Garage :)

Posts: 431
iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmdb335 View Post
I have 3 45's you could borrow lol
Should I take it 300 yards out and shoot it with my M4 using just iron sights? Make it more challenging perhaps.

Last edited by Bpower; 03-07-2011 at 09:52 AM.
Bpower is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-01-2011, 10:13 AM   #15
Brey335i
Brigadier General
 
Brey335i's Avatar
 
Drives: e46 ///M3
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Austin, TX

Posts: 4,737
iTrader: (11)

I bet there's plenty of people on this forum who could come up with a solution within a few minutes of looking at it... but of course Dinan wants $1100 for something and then it has small issues like this

Great looking intake, I'd keep it if I were you
Brey335i is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-01-2011, 10:25 AM   #16
Spydeputy
Brigadier General
 
Spydeputy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012,E92,335is/2008,E90,335xi
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Harford County, Maryland

Posts: 3,207
iTrader: (18)

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
2012 335is  [1.00]
Send a message via Skype™ to Spydeputy
this is the only intake w/ some serious numbers (HP Gain) behind it. sorry to hear their $1K+ part is not up to their (and your) standards.
__________________
2012, E92, 335is, Space Metal Gray, DINAN Stage 2, Helix FMIC, M Sport Pkg, Dbl Spoke 313 Wheels, Gray & Blk Leather, Conv. Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, Prem Pkg, 7 Sp DCT, Navigation, Satellite / Harman Kardon Radio.
BMW CCA Member
Spydeputy is offline   Germany
0
Reply With Quote
      03-01-2011, 01:50 PM   #17
jzepeda
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 07 e92 Dinan Stage 2
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: West Covina

Posts: 549
iTrader: (12)

I had the same problem with mine when I first installed it. turns out the K&N filter they provide with the kit needs to be massaged into place. a real quick test is drop your stock filter in and put the lid on. it will close perfect, put the K&N in and it hard as hell to put the clips in. The K&N filter has a thicker rubber gasket preventing it from seating properly. you can also use K&N filer grease...or whatever they cal it. I took me a couple of day of removing and installing before I figured it out. once you see how it fits you wont have the issue again. you can also contact Dinan they will tell you the same thing it's a common issue when it not installed by a Dinan dealer. PM if you need pics. Good Luck, and I know what it feels like paying all that money and having to mess with it until it's right.

Thanks,
Jorge
jzepeda is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-01-2011, 05:36 PM   #18
Bpower
Banned
 
Drives: E-90
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Garage :)

Posts: 431
iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzepeda View Post
I had the same problem with mine when I first installed it. turns out the K&N filter they provide with the kit needs to be massaged into place. a real quick test is drop your stock filter in and put the lid on. it will close perfect, put the K&N in and it hard as hell to put the clips in. The K&N filter has a thicker rubber gasket preventing it from seating properly. you can also use K&N filer grease...or whatever they cal it. I took me a couple of day of removing and installing before I figured it out. once you see how it fits you wont have the issue again. you can also contact Dinan they will tell you the same thing it's a common issue when it not installed by a Dinan dealer. PM if you need pics. Good Luck, and I know what it feels like paying all that money and having to mess with it until it's right.

Thanks,
Jorge
I hear you on that one, it was hard to put the lid on initially. I drove around with it and noticed when I opened the hood that one clip was getting undone. To remedy the situation I dropped in another K&N filter and followed exactly step by step how to install it. Unfortunately the clip failed to stay in place. Then I also put in a stock filter, which I thought K&N could possibly be a problem since I LOVED Dinan products and wouldn't think they could do wrong (foolish of me) and same scenario, the clip wasn't staying on no matter what. Stock lid has pronounced grooves for the clips and thats where I think the culprit is. I think it would be hard for them to make it to resemble stock grooves? After all of that i resorted contacting Dinan and I tell you their
warranty side isn't that easy to reach, unlike when you want to buy something there are 20 people to talk to you. It took me 3 e mails and 4 phone calls to talk to Dan which continued telling me I am not putting it on right and gave me same directions I followed over and over again.

I ended up resorting to modifying the lid to fit the clip and it worked. I have some experience in fiberglass and carbon works as well as body work so I refinished the groove and am now waiting for the clear to fully cure before I reinstall everything. I am 99 % sure it will hold this time, as I also test fitted the clip before resurfacing the spot.

Got a call today from Scott from Dinan telling me I need to put some downward pressure to have the clip hold and I told him that i have done that and there is no place for the lid to go, its been through its heat cycles and all of the clips come on pretty normal but the one still continued coming off. I told Scott that the problem wasn't me it was a defective part and I got it fixed by modifying the "lip" then I got a response "Well if you haven't done that we would have sent you a new lid", I asked him then why a minute ago he told me to try installing it again and then as soon as he found out I modified it he said he would send me a new one. Well that my friends says to me that they just don't care.

I am not a complainer, I don't discredit anyone unless i was dealt with wrong, I loved Dinan products. I just wanted to put it out there guys that because you pay 1100 for a part it doesn't mean you will get it in working condition. You and I would expect the dealer to fix their problems as they arise and not ignore and make an Idiot out of customers. This was a very upsetting experience for me as a person and car enthusiast.

Last edited by Bpower; 03-01-2011 at 09:42 PM.
Bpower is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-02-2011, 09:15 AM   #19
Bpower
Banned
 
Drives: E-90
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Garage :)

Posts: 431
iTrader: (7)

I will post some pictures of modified intake after I get home from my trip. Just in case one of you have the some problem and gets mistreated by Dinan, at least you will know how to fix it and still remain the intended original look.
Bpower is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-03-2011, 03:07 AM   #20
jzepeda
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 07 e92 Dinan Stage 2
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: West Covina

Posts: 549
iTrader: (12)

Good to know. I spoke with Dan as well when I was having my issue, he said the exact same thing to me. You are right though paying top dollar for upgrades they should fit perfectly the first time. sorry to hear about the bad support you got, glad it worked out. one other question for you is the oval rubber piece connecting the pipe to the lid rubbing on the inside of the hood? not really an issue but I noticed I am.
jzepeda is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-03-2011, 10:56 AM   #21
Bpower
Banned
 
Drives: E-90
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Garage :)

Posts: 431
iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzepeda View Post
Good to know. I spoke with Dan as well when I was having my issue, he said the exact same thing to me. You are right though paying top dollar for upgrades they should fit perfectly the first time. sorry to hear about the bad support you got, glad it worked out. one other question for you is the oval rubber piece connecting the pipe to the lid rubbing on the inside of the hood? not really an issue but I noticed I am.
Yes, the oval piece does rob. It wasn't as big of an issue to me at the point, so I didn't address it with them. I think even if I did, Dan would probably tell me to "Apply more pressure and read the instructions", LOL...Not really funny but you get it. I think it could potentially rub a hole in the hood insulation, Depending of how much you drive the car and how hard you drive it (= more engine movement).

Was your issue ever fixed with the intake?
Bpower is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-03-2011, 03:51 PM   #22
mycoupe
Banned
 
Drives: 07 335i coupe 6spd
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: cincinnati, Ohio

Posts: 1,499
iTrader: (5)

so much for getting what you pay for
mycoupe is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:04 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST