E90Post

GetBMWParts

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > My Feb 1 335i ED - Awaiting 3/19 Redelivery

03-17-2007, 08:40 PM   #1
vbmw335
Second Lieutenant

Drives: BMW 335i Coupe

My Feb 1 335i ED - Awaiting 3/19 Redelivery

Let me start by saying “what a trip”. This truly is one of the best trips I have taken in my life. Its been a while since i got back from my Feb 1 ED of a 335i coupe. First off I would like to thank Irv Robinson my CA at Motorwerks for making my trip easy. I highly recommend Irv for anyone who is thinking of doing an ED in future. He is very straight forward and not your typical car salesman.

My Itinerary:

Day 1: Arrived in Munich from Chicago at 10 am. Munich felt like summer compared to Chicago and we just needed a sweater and no Jackets! It was 55F. We took the Lufthansa bus to Marriott for 10 euros each - very easy. I highly recommend taking the bus instead of Rolf. Although all I have heard about Rolf is positive. Marriott was booked on priceline and biddingfortravel.com for 55euros/night After check in and lunch we took the U-bahn --s-bahn and the bus to get to Dachau by 2 pm. It was a very humbling experience as we expected. We then left to Marienplatz for the evening and had dinner (roast pork knuckle and beer) at the hofbrahaus.

Day 2:
Got to the ED center by taxi at 8 am and had breakfast and waited about 45 mins for the paperwork signing. Signed the winter tire law insurance exclusion papers…and off we go to Neuschwanstein Castle about a 3 hr drive. There were some snow flurries and rain when we left. I must state that 335i coupe is not good in snowy conditions in terms of road traction. It was actually very tense in the first few hours of driving on wet roads. Things got better as the tires wore out and roads dried out. After the castle tour we left to Venice by noon and crossed the Brenner pass with no problems and reached Venice by 7 pm. This is when I got the first taste of the car’s power….it was easy to hit 120mph staying below 4k rpms. Driving in autostrada was fun and I was driving mostly at speeds above 110 by now. The car was a real joy to drive esp the paddles. I have no regrets getting an auto now (I moved from a e46 330i manual). In comparison to my brothers M3 SMG I still feel M3 offers a more sporty experience. The 335i is more like a luxo cruiser when compared to an M3 – not as dramatic compared to an M3. But that’s what I like. A right balance of power and luxury.

Day 3: Venice all day – stayed at holiday inn Quarto D'Alinto

Day 4: Visited Pisa and drove through the cinque terra villages to Genoa by night. Would not recommend Novotel hotel in Genoa….it's a dump!

Day 5: Drove to Monte Carlo and nice – beautiful coastline drives and scenery. The most fun driving the autostrada was from Genoa to French border. We hit 150mph here.

Day 6: Lake como and Laussane, Switzerland and back to Munich

Day 7 drop off in Munich

Total Distance: 2700 km

I took a taxi from harms to the airport for 50 euros (s430 merc). I think Thomas is operating a taxi service with his driver Bianca. It took only 25 mins to reach airport with light snow on autobahn.
Overall this is one of the best trips I have taken in my life (I say this for the 2nd time!)and think I will do it again after my lease runs out on this 335i. Driving on the autobahn/autostrada was sheer joy. I think every bmw owner must experience it at least once. It's a shame that we would experience only a fraction of the cars potential when driving in the USA. For everyone doing an ED in winter with sport pkg please exercise a lot of caution. It was really tricky and had several tense moments driving through Switzerland where the car felt like a boat even at 33F temps….I definitely think the tires loose some traction below 40 f. All I would say is use your judgment while driving in winter through Europe. I personally think I got lucky.

Lastly for all those still thinking about whether or not you get I -Drive…..I would say 100% go with it. It's really not that hard as some people make it to be. I thought it was very intuitive and had a ton of features. Remember it's not just a nav you get for 2k its much more than that. I must say that sometimes its slow to move between screens. The RTTI feature worked great on the Autobahn and helped us avoid traffic on several occasions.
Attached Images