E90Post

European Auto Source

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California > Need Help With College!!!!!

View Poll Results: Community College ( Which one has better transfer rate?)
De Anza 9 81.82%
Foothill Community 2 18.18%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

03-19-2007, 06:47 PM   #23
dejav0o
Captain

Drives: SG 330i

I think I've also heard that De Anza was a better CC. People who go to foothill tend to get stuck there for some reason, and never end up going into a 4 year university. Maybe it's just the demographics of the area....

I browsed through some of the posts left by just4kickz and specc... they have it pretty much down. Basically, talk to your counselor and get into a program where they'll guarantee you admission if you meet certain requirements. Extra curricular activities don't really matter much at this point, but just work your ass off in the CC courses. If you plan to go to med or grad school, get your stuff in order when you get into the UC.

In this case, EVERYTHING matters.... volunteer at a hospital, get to work in a clinic, join a frat/club that's related to your field, and do something that makes you stand out from others. Once you're in, graduating college is easy... getting your grades, and credentials to apply to med school is a whole different level.
      03-19-2007, 07:28 PM   #24
SpecC
Completely obsessed with detailing

Drives: E90 SG 330i, white Scion tC

Send a message via AIM to SpecC
Quote:
Originally Posted by just4kickz View Post
lol... shuda took some prep classes... those prep classes didn't help me too much but whatevs... sall over
lol not to worry about me man, i scored 1910 but i think itw as the GPA and the major i applied under which made davis reject me

3.0 and same major as you, biochem & molecular bio
      03-20-2007, 12:29 AM   #25
Victor.L3IchibanM3
Banned

Drives: '06 325i,'04 RX 330,'99Corolla

Send a message via AIM to Victor.L3IchibanM3 Send a message via Yahoo to Victor.L3IchibanM3
Quote:
Originally Posted by just4kickz View Post
lol... shuda took some prep classes... those prep classes didn't help me too much but whatevs... sall over
Damn so many ppl to listen awwhhhh I dont even noe if i wanna major in medical anymore since one of my friend said if you go to Davis and end up getting under 3.0, there is no chance that you will get accepted to medical skool and u willl end up getting sum lame phd n yes I am still in high skool (c/o 2007) also one of my co worker who is in his late 20's told me I'm better off going to Mission or Foothill since De Anza will be just another high skool since all ur azn friend will go there and you will not focus on ur grade anymore
Victor.L3IchibanM3 is offline   United_States
      03-20-2007, 12:33 AM   #26
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...

Drives: 2006 BS 330i

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
what part of medicine do you like? or what job would you prefer to do after med school?

at first I wanted to go into Sports Medicine and be a PT... but then I realized after undergoing a mentorship under this guy--crap forget his first name but his last name is Emory and he owns a few Therapy places called BaySport... and I also did an internship for a Sports Medicine Clinic--well I realized that you don't get paid shit... like 55k a year, which is okay but it would be a decrease in living standard for me and that would make me feel as if I wasn't achieving up to par on a scale with my father.

However, within Sports Medicine there are some other branches which require more study than a PT... basically means you gotta get a M.D. and maybe specialize in certain areas of the body. You wont be as connected with patients, but it still involves some level of sports related injuries and the pay is alot better.

just find what you really wanna do... and dont let anythin stop you... thats all it really is.

"Akimbo shotguns. Broken wrists anyone? And don't give me that 'it's just a game' bull****. Where the **** are my akimbo interventions then?! One scope on each eye mother****er!!"
just4kickz is offline   United_States
      03-20-2007, 12:36 AM   #27
BMW F22
Major General

Drives: ///M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor.L3IchibanM3 View Post
Damn so many ppl to listen awwhhhh I dont even noe if i wanna major in medical anymore since one of my friend said if you go to Davis and end up getting under 3.0, there is no chance that you will get accepted to medical skool and u willl end up getting sum lame phd n yes I am still in high skool (c/o 2007) also one of my co worker who is in his late 20's told me I'm better off going to Mission or Foothill since De Anza will be just another high skool since all ur azn friend will go there and you will not focus on ur grade anymore

LOL
If you're Viet I HOPE you dont go to Mission cus it's 95% Viets. No offense to my Viet people but it's true. I think you would slack off there more than DA.

Anyhoo- why are you so confused man? If you cant even decide which college to go to I honestly hope you dont operate on anyone in the future. It's scary to have some undecisive doctor operating on you.
BMW F22 is offline   United_States
      03-20-2007, 01:01 AM   #28
Victor.L3IchibanM3
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Victor.L3IchibanM3 Send a message via Yahoo to Victor.L3IchibanM3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWE90 View Post
LOL
If you're Viet I HOPE you dont go to Mission cus it's 95% Viets. No offense to my Viet people but it's true. I think you would slack off there more than DA.

Anyhoo- why are you so confused man? If you cant even decide which college to go to I honestly hope you dont operate on anyone in the future. It's scary to have some undecisive doctor operating on you.
nah Im not Viet. I'm 50/50 chink and jap.... but I most of my friend are viet since majority of the ppl in my skool are viet LoL well if I dont go into medical my second choice would be going into business.. lyke lets say business administration if so do u guys noe any idea which undergrad college are good for business????
      03-20-2007, 01:12 AM   #29
BMW F22
Major General

Quote:
nah Im not Viet. I'm 50/50 chink and jap.... but I most of my friend are viet since majority of the ppl in my skool are viet LoL well if I dont go into medical my second choice would be going into business.. lyke lets say business administration if so do u guys noe any idea which undergrad college are good for business????

for Business Admin. go to SJSU.
AFter that transfer to some prestigious school and get your MBA from there. If you can get into Harvard, Wharton, Princeton and the like you're pretty much set. Berkeley and Standford are also very good school for MBAs.
      03-20-2007, 01:13 AM   #30
magmd
Major General

Drives: '06 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
1. Don't go into medicine for the money....you will never be happy. You are better off going into business or law school.

2. Get into the best college you can. Med schools DO look at the reputation of the school you are coming from. Admissions have to decide between applicants...3.8 from UCLA is different than 3.8 from Cal State LA. Trust me...I have sat in on the discussions. Bottom line...get into the best institution...and do not screw up while you are there.

3. Your grades, your extracurr, your volunteer, whatever....will not amount to shit if your MCAT's suck. Once you are at the college of your choice....your #1 priority should be to do VERY well on MCAT. Then, and only then, start to look at everything else to balance out your application.
      03-20-2007, 01:19 AM   #31
Victor.L3IchibanM3
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWE90 View Post
for Business Admin. go to SJSU.
AFter that transfer to some prestigious school and get your MBA from there. If you can get into Harvard, Wharton, Princeton and the like you're pretty much set. Berkeley and Standford are also very good school for MBAs.
yea alot of ppl tell me that but one of my good friend is now going to UCSD for that major iono why????? Do u think I should do the same thing if I want to major in Business Admin or SJSU would do it???? Also for business major does ur undergrad college really matter in order to get into Master degree program ? compare to medical where u have to go to lyke presigious udergrad skool lyke UCD or UCB to get into medical skool I noe my question may be annoying to sum ppl but I am sorri if I am asking u guys bout college stuff but I really appreciate my fellow BIMMER homie here in terms of helping me with this stuff
      03-20-2007, 01:24 AM   #32
Victor.L3IchibanM3
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by magmd View Post
1. Don't go into medicine for the money....you will never be happy. You are better off going into business or law school.

2. Get into the best college you can. Med schools DO look at the reputation of the school you are coming from. Admissions have to decide between applicants...3.8 from UCLA is different than 3.8 from Cal State LA. Trust me...I have sat in on the discussions. Bottom line...get into the best institution...and do not screw up while you are there.

3. Your grades, your extracurr, your volunteer, whatever....will not amount to shit if your MCAT's suck. Once you are at the college of your choice....your #1 priority should be to do VERY well on MCAT. Then, and only then, start to look at everything else to balance out your application.

thanks for the heads up advice The reason I am planning to go into medical is becuz of my azn mom tell the truth... I really want to become a business man lyke selling big contract to ppl and going around places making money of commission and getting stock option from the company. But after 9-11, Damn economy is not doing so well and currently stock market is not good due to sum shit that is related to China...... That's why my mom keeps pushing me to study medical which the job is secure no matter how the economy turns out. Im just worry that if I go transfer to UCD and doesnt manage to maintain 3.5 or above and dont pass MCAT... basically my lif3 is all screw
      03-20-2007, 01:25 AM   #33
BMW F22
Major General

Quote:
yea alot of ppl tell me that but one of my good friend is now going to UCSD for that major iono why????? Do u think I should do the same thing if I want to major in Business Admin or SJSU would do it???? Also for business major does ur undergrad college really matter in order to get into Master degree program ? compare to medical where u have to go to lyke presigious udergrad skool lyke UCD or UCB to get into medical skool I noe my question may be annoying to sum ppl but I am sorri if I am asking u guys bout college stuff but I really appreciate my fellow BIMMER homie here in terms of helping me with this stuff

Here are the words of my counselor when I asked her about going to Santa Clara U (before I transferred from DA).

"Most people usually go to one college to get their BS degree and then transfer to another, more prestigious college to get their MBA. If you're going to get an MBA it doesnt really matter where you got your BS from because all the employers will be looking at is where your MBA came from."

So basically if you just want a BS degree you should go to a UC because it'd probably mean more. Then again, if you're planning to work in the Silicon Valley, a BS or MBA from SJSU is sufficient. It is a very good Business and Engineering school so no worries there. All the businesses around here pretty much knows that too so you wont have a problem getting a good job with a degree from SJ state.
      03-20-2007, 01:34 AM   #34
magmd
Major General

Drives: '06 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
? compare to medical where u have to go to lyke presigious udergrad skool lyke UCD or UCB to get into medical skool
One more thing....once you get into a med school...you have to try to get into a residency program into the specialty of your choice. If you are looking into the top paid specialty...then you have to get into a top residency program. So again...now repuation of your med school counts here. Stanford Med is much more respected than say...UC Irvine med, etc.

So...it only get tougher as the road goes on. You should really want to do medicine, otherwise, you will be frustrated, exhausted, and very bitter by the system.
      03-20-2007, 01:49 AM   #35
klinkerklu
Respect my Authoritay

Drives: 330xi ED

Garage List
2006 330xi ED  [0.00]
Quote:
WHAT?! You are retarded. Someday when we cure cancer and charge thousands of dollars for the drug, I don't want to hear you crying if God forbid, you need it.
You sound like you don't have a clue what you want to do with your life.
What is your GPA now? If it is already less than 3.5, get ready to start working your ass off in school (community or otherwise) if you plan on getting in a career that makes any money. Cuz high school is a piece of cake compared to any good Business/Biochem/Physics/Engineering etc. program.
Seriously, do some internships, that will help you decide and make you look good on paper...
      03-20-2007, 02:01 AM   #36
klinkerklu
Respect my Authoritay

Drives: 330xi ED

Garage List
2006 330xi ED  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by magmd View Post
One more thing....once you get into a med school...you have to try to get into a residency program into the specialty of your choice. If you are looking into the top paid specialty...then you have to get into a top residency program. So again...now repuation of your med school counts here. Stanford Med is much more respected than say...UC Irvine med, etc.

So...it only get tougher as the road goes on. You should really want to do medicine, otherwise, you will be frustrated, exhausted, and very bitter by the system.
+1, We just had dinner last night with friends celebrating their residency acceptance. I know a lot of super smart, dedicated people who have had very low points in their medical school program, who questioned what the hell they were doing, and how they were going to get through it. And some of them don't. You won't even make it through the first set of hoops if your motivation isn't there..