E90Post
 


TNT Racewerks
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > N53B30 Engine Remap/ 3 stage Manifold



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-29-2016, 01:08 AM   #1
Will_460cs
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
34
Posts

Drives: E92 M3 DCT
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Cambridgeshire

iTrader: (0)

N53B30 Engine Remap/ 3 stage Manifold

Hi Everyone,

I have recently changed my E91 325I N52 touring for a wait for it E91 325I Touring!

However the new car has the N53B30 engine, and I have just got hold of a 3 stage manifold from a 330I as this is the only hardware difference.

I am now after a company with a dyno to remap or possibly I will change the DME (and CAS, EWS, locks) from a another car and have to recode in NCS expert..

Has anyone done this, and does any one have experience of getting the mapping done? Or did you swap DME?

Mosselman is one option I'm aware of but they don't have a rolling road (UK agent).

I have asked a few company and non seem to have direct experience of it - not sure if I should gamble on this point.

At the is point Im seriously considering a DME swap....
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2016, 07:22 AM   #2
rjahl
Captain
72
Rep
609
Posts

Drives: Z4 3.0I (E85)
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tampa

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will_460cs
Hi Everyone,

I have recently changed my E91 325I N52 touring for a wait for it E91 325I Touring!

However the new car has the N53B30 engine, and I have just got hold of a 3 stage manifold from a 330I as this is the only hardware difference.

I am now after a company with a dyno to remap or possibly I will change the DME (and CAS, EWS, locks) from a another car and have to recode in NCS expert..

Has anyone done this, and does any one have experience of getting the mapping done? Or did you swap DME?

Mosselman is one option I'm aware of but they don't have a rolling road (UK agent).

I have asked a few company and non seem to have direct experience of it - not sure if I should gamble on this point.

At the is point Im seriously considering a DME swap....
No need to purchase a new DME, just get it tuned by the right people.
Appreciate 1
      06-01-2016, 08:29 AM   #3
Will_460cs
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
34
Posts

Drives: E92 M3 DCT
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Cambridgeshire

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjahl View Post
No need to purchase a new DME, just get it tuned by the right people.
Bump!


Who are the right ppl, I am tring to find out....

At the moment Moseelman Uk agent can do it but has no rolling road(it sound like a super chips style service), and DS running in Germany.....

I'd really like a UK tuner with experience, but at the moment this appear to be the like finding the holly grail
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2016, 08:44 AM   #4
TheAxiom
Major General
TheAxiom's Avatar
Japan
1142
Rep
6,257
Posts

Drives: E92 6 Speed
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Florida

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will_460cs View Post
Bump!


Who are the right ppl, I am tring to find out....

At the moment Moseelman Uk agent can do it but has no rolling road(it sound like a super chips style service), and DS running in Germany.....

I'd really like a UK tuner with experience, but at the moment this appear to be the like finding the holly grail
Find any shop with a dyno, do a baseline
Install a tune and dyno again.

I get the impression you want to do it all at one shop, however most of these shops with a dyno usually will give you a canned/off the shelf tune anyhow, which doesn't make much of a difference on a nearly stock car.
__________________
E92 Msport
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2016, 10:07 AM   #5
rjahl
Captain
72
Rep
609
Posts

Drives: Z4 3.0I (E85)
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tampa

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will_460cs View Post
Bump!


Who are the right ppl, I am tring to find out....

At the moment Moseelman Uk agent can do it but has no rolling road(it sound like a super chips style service), and DS running in Germany.....

I'd really like a UK tuner with experience, but at the moment this appear to be the like finding the holly grail
This depends on what your are trying to achieve. If all you want is 330 performance, the three stage manifold and a stock factory tune spiced into your DME is all you need. Any hack can take the calibration file from a 330 and splice that into your 325 DME.

If you want more, your options get a little more limited, I think your car has hardware / exhaust differences to the US versions and you would be best served by a local tuner who is familiar with the Vanos and ignition timing used on your variant . If I were you, I would contact all of the big names and ask them, see what they say. It's only an email.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2016, 10:24 AM   #6
Will_460cs
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
34
Posts

Drives: E92 M3 DCT
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Cambridgeshire

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAxiom View Post
Find any shop with a dyno, do a baseline
Install a tune and dyno again.

I get the impression you want to do it all at one shop, however most of these shops with a dyno usually will give you a canned/off the shelf tune anyhow, which doesn't make much of a difference on a nearly stock car.

I want a shop with experience of the engine and the modification (3 stage manifold)and unfortunately that not as easy as it sounds...

I have contacted plenty of places that will have a go but then you are paying for some to play with no criteria of success.

Last edited by Will_460cs; 06-02-2016 at 12:47 PM.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2016, 10:27 AM   #7
Will_460cs
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
34
Posts

Drives: E92 M3 DCT
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Cambridgeshire

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjahl View Post
This depends on what your are trying to achieve. If all you want is 330 performance, the three stage manifold and a stock factory tune spiced into your DME is all you need. Any hack can take the calibration file from a 330 and splice that into your 325 DME.

If you want more, your options get a little more limited, I think your car has hardware / exhaust differences to the US versions and you would be best served by a local tuner who is familiar with the Vanos and ignition timing used on your variant . If I were you, I would contact all of the big names and ask them, see what they say. It's only an email.

All I want is 330 performance... TBH I could recode the VO in NCSexpert to a 330i myself but bmw locked the ECU down after 10Hrs and at the moment I can;'t find a solution to this.

My problem is that no tuners in the UK seem to know the N53... If one reads this and does please pm me!
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2016, 11:02 AM   #8
Willsbma
Second Lieutenant
Willsbma's Avatar
36
Rep
266
Posts

Drives: 07 328xi
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: 11703

iTrader: (0)

Any noticeable difference with the manifold installed? I've been debating if I want to give this a go
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2016, 11:33 AM   #9
rjahl
Captain
72
Rep
609
Posts

Drives: Z4 3.0I (E85)
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tampa

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsbma View Post
Any noticeable difference with the manifold installed? I've been debating if I want to give this a go
My opinion, don't bother if you are not going to upgrade the tune. You will notice a difference but it's nothing like what happens when tuned. Check out the Dyno thread and look at the data.

BTW, I had my car for 4 years before I installed the three stage manifold, drove around for 3-4 months without a tune and then installed the tune.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2016, 12:42 PM   #10
Will_460cs
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
34
Posts

Drives: E92 M3 DCT
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Cambridgeshire

iTrader: (0)

rjah is right, torque is improved thats it.. it needs the 330 map, then you have 330i performance ala 272BHP...
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2016, 12:44 PM   #11
Will_460cs
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
34
Posts

Drives: E92 M3 DCT
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Cambridgeshire

iTrader: (0)

So far my research has lead me to this thread, but Im unsure if they have cracked the BMW 10 hour lockdown on changing the engine type in the DME:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...=694166&page=4

-----

My favoured route at as I can't find any tuner experience is for the BMW OEM map.
This can be done by recoding the car with NCSexpert/E-SYS and change the DME to 330I coding... The problem with this is that the DME is locked after 10 hr usage (thats what I have read so far), so I would need to order a new DME...

Im looking at some Russian stuff: ECU explorer to see if that can reset the 10hrs to allow NCS coding..

http://auto-explorer.com/?page_id=898&lang=en


If there are any clever coders out there that know how to do this I would be more than willing to pay...

Last edited by Will_460cs; 06-02-2016 at 01:44 PM.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2016, 12:06 AM   #12
NiNeTyOne
Touring cars rock
United_States
70
Rep
406
Posts

Drives: 07 e91 Alpine
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: SEA

iTrader: (0)

rjahl,

You gotten into the MSV80 yet? I know haas has gotten well deep into the 70, but my '07 is an 80 and I'm installing the manifold Wednesday. I'd be content with stock 330 performance for the moment. Will be looking to tune as soon as I'm back from my upcoming 4000 mile road trip with the kiddo.

Feel free to PM me.
__________________
Todo list on the grocery getter: Ohlins dampers, Eibach ERS springs, Brembo monoblocs, 330 DISA intake
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2016, 12:18 AM   #13
hassmaschine
Colonel
427
Rep
2,759
Posts

Drives: 2006 330i 6sp w/ sport package
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: earth

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will_460cs View Post
So far my research has lead me to this thread, but Im unsure if they have cracked the BMW 10 hour lockdown on changing the engine type in the DME:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...=694166&page=4

-----

My favoured route at as I can't find any tuner experience is for the BMW OEM map.
This can be done by recoding the car with NCSexpert/E-SYS and change the DME to 330I coding... The problem with this is that the DME is locked after 10 hr usage (thats what I have read so far), so I would need to order a new DME...

Im looking at some Russian stuff: ECU explorer to see if that can reset the 10hrs to allow NCS coding..

http://auto-explorer.com/?page_id=898&lang=en


If there are any clever coders out there that know how to do this I would be more than willing to pay...
If its msv70 all you have to do is make the vehicle power class match your car. Don't bother trying to reset it back to 10 hours..
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2016, 05:08 PM   #14
Will_460cs
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
34
Posts

Drives: E92 M3 DCT
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Cambridgeshire

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hassmaschine View Post
If its msv70 all you have to do is make the vehicle power class match your car. Don't bother trying to reset it back to 10 hours..
On the euro N53, its use the MSD81 (MSD80 derivative).
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2016, 01:36 AM   #15
hassmaschine
Colonel
427
Rep
2,759
Posts

Drives: 2006 330i 6sp w/ sport package
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: earth

iTrader: (0)

Yes, but presumably is also uses a power class to stop you from running the N53 330i file.

The actual power class isn't stored on the DME - its saved in another module, which is communicated to the DME via the CAN bus, and compared to the power class of the tune file. If they don't match, it runs in limp mode.

What I'm saying is even if you did reset the DME back to zero, its not going to help because its not really stored there anyway. The easiest way around it is to change the power class on the 330i file to match the power class of your car.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2016, 12:41 PM   #16
TheAxiom
Major General
TheAxiom's Avatar
Japan
1142
Rep
6,257
Posts

Drives: E92 6 Speed
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Florida

iTrader: (5)

@[Bob@BPC](contact:296164) can help
__________________
E92 Msport
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2016, 01:19 PM   #17
Bob@BPC
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Bob@BPC's Avatar
United_States
280
Rep
395
Posts


Drives: F30 328i Sport Line
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Raleigh

iTrader: (0)

If you have a way of reading(&writing) your stock bin file, I can convert it to a 330i. Send me a PM for more details.
__________________


Visit Our New Web Store! Intake & exhaust systems, race suspension setups, and custom tunes
https://bimmer-performance-center.myshopify.com/
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2016, 09:26 PM   #18
Will_460cs
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
34
Posts

Drives: E92 M3 DCT
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Cambridgeshire

iTrader: (0)

Hassmaschine , Thanks for the info on the mapping swap, - That makes sense . I'm totally uncertain how to do it...

So I'm guessing my best bet is to find someone who can, so I have also sent a message to Bob.

thanks

Will

Last edited by Will_460cs; 06-13-2016 at 09:49 PM.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2016, 09:49 PM   #19
Will_460cs
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
34
Posts

Drives: E92 M3 DCT
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Cambridgeshire

iTrader: (0)

I have winKFP, I have never used it, would this be a good way of reading the .bin file from the DME?

thanks
Will
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2016, 10:26 PM   #20
hassmaschine
Colonel
427
Rep
2,759
Posts

Drives: 2006 330i 6sp w/ sport package
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: earth

iTrader: (0)

No, Winkfp is only for flashing, and the files are protected by RSA encryption.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2016, 08:39 AM   #21
Will_460cs
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
34
Posts

Drives: E92 M3 DCT
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Cambridgeshire

iTrader: (0)

What the most straightforward way to read these Bin files from the DME?

Do I need to use BDM programmer or is there another way?

thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2016, 01:39 PM   #22
Will_460cs
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
34
Posts

Drives: E92 M3 DCT
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Cambridgeshire

iTrader: (0)

Appreciate any help chaps..
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:27 PM.




e90post
e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST