E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Turbo-less Xede to Procede

03-19-2007, 12:38 PM   #1
2007/335i/coupe
Falling in Love with German Boost
Rep
Drives: 335i, E350, Accord EX, GSXR750

Garage List
Turbo-less Xede to Procede

After being the Xede beta tester for a few months now, Shiv installed the Procede last Tuesday. The car ran perfectly fine with the Xede for over 5,000 miles until a little over a week ago when it threw a code and shut off the turbos forcing me to shut down the car for a few minutes before the code cleared. Shiv was very quick to address my problem and got the car into Modacar within 2 days after I called him to replace the Xede with the Procede.

I wanted to wait until I had at least 1,000 miles before I posted my impressions from the switch. I've racked up a good 1,400 miles since Tuesday with most of it in the Santa Cruz mountains along Highway 9 and 84 with some backroads in the Palo Alto area. In terms of overall horse power, I don't feel a dramatic difference between the Xede and Procede as my car laid down 324hp with the Xede. I did feel the slight increase in torque, especially in gears 3 and higher.

The biggest change in the car is how smoothly the car runs now. Making back to back comparisons between the two pieces of hardware, the Xede ran a bit more rough and felt more like a tuner car. Stepping on the accelerator would bring a very slight "lag" at low rpms, around 2000 or so, before the swell of torque built and began to thrust your body into the seats. The Xede also felt as if it ran a bit more lean since it seemed "snappy" at the low rpms when the boost came on but I've gotten slightly better gas mileage with the Procede so it's probably due to something else. Now, the car feels as if it were from the factory. Smooth across the entire rpm range and most notable from the lower part of the rpm range. Acceleration from 6th gear at 1600 rpms builds smoothly and quickly without any hesitation. That slight "lag" is basically completely gone, again feeling more like stock except that when you hit 2000rpms you really feel the power begin to smoothly build and build until it starts to taper off by 6400-6500 rpms.

Since I'm not as interested in quarter mile and top speed runs as I am with everyday drivabilty and backroad / mountain road driving, the Procede car is substantially better suited for my style of driving. With the Xede, power would come on "abruptly" when compared to the Procede. I adjusted but sometimes it still wasn't as smooth as I would've like it to be especially on low speed turns such as Highway 9's posted 15mph hairpin. Throttle response is clean and easy to modulate whether it be in the backroads or everyday street and freeway driving. The car inspires more confidence in my cornering and entry speeds but at the same time, it almost got me in a bit of trouble because I didn't think I was going all that fast being it was so smooth. Catching up to average motorcyclists in the corners was a breeze as my cornering speed was greater than theirs in high speed turns. Even in moderate speeds turns, the car had enough torque (and traction) to pull hard and keep up with those pesky sportbikes... just kidding as I ride a crotch rocket myself :rocks: :rocks: :rocks:

Finally, I had to test the software since Shiv and a few forum members mentioned the Procede would adjust between 91 and 93 octane gasoline. Fortunately for me, the road I take to get to the local mountain passes has a 76 station that serves up a mighty meal of 100 octane race fuel from the pump. At $5.40 a gallon it isn't cheap and I estimated that for every three gallons of 91, I need a gallon of 100 resulting in a bill that lightened my wallet by over $60 per fill up. However, now I'm extremely envious for folks who get 93 everyday. The car runs even better and there is an improvement in torque. I really couldn't tell if I picked up the extra horsepower as the car is already fast with 91 fuel. Mid range power is strong and short shifting on hard acceleration runs is extremely fun as you feel the smooth onslaught of torque on your body. I'm anxious waiting for Shiv to develop the wireless fob and 100 octane fuel map after experiencing what better fuel can do to the car's performance

If anyone is interested in a power upgrade as their first mod, this is it. There maybe less expensive "chips" out there, but I have no regrets shelling out the money for my experience thus far. As time passes, and who knows how long it'll be, maybe other companies will offer the performance gains of the Procede at a lower cost. But for now, I didn't want to wait and get my ass handed to me by other streetable modified cars looking to smack down obnoxious 335 owners
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2007, 12:41 PM   #2
NaViT
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04 M3/E92 335i

thats a long one.... nice though but yea we all know Shiv is the way to go for the software mod heh
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2007, 12:44 PM   #3
CASHBY
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335 "done up"

Good Write up!

Nice to see that The PROcede is working out.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2007, 01:45 PM   #4
gashero
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i A22 sedan streptronic

Exactly, as the OP stated. You can wait till something comparable come out down the line as I been taunt by car of all sort since they know it a 335i. Now with the procede, I have no problem playing along with them.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2007, 04:11 PM   #5
DrewKo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i Montego Blue Saddle Brown

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Nice! I found similar results after my Procede was installed this past weekend. I wrote a review under the video section because I took two videos of the post-Procede testing. The car shifts more smoothly through the gears than before and cranks out awe-inspiring torque all the way up to 120 mph (the fastest I have been in the car since installing Procede). I wish BMW did this to the car from the get go...great product that Procede.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2007, 11:11 PM   #6
e36jakeo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 6 Speed MT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2007/335i/coupe View Post
After being the Xede beta tester for a few months now, Shiv installed the Procede last Tuesday. The car ran perfectly fine with the Xede for over 5,000 miles until a little over a week ago when it threw a code and shut off the turbos forcing me to shut down the car for a few minutes before the code cleared. Shiv was very quick to address my problem and got the car into Modacar within 2 days after I called him to replace the Xede with the Procede.

I wanted to wait until I had at least 1,000 miles before I posted my impressions from the switch. I've racked up a good 1,400 miles since Tuesday with most of it in the Santa Cruz mountains along Highway 9 and 84 with some backroads in the Palo Alto area. In terms of overall horse power, I don't feel a dramatic difference between the Xede and Procede as my car laid down 324hp with the Xede. I did feel the slight increase in torque, especially in gears 3 and higher.

The biggest change in the car is how smoothly the car runs now. Making back to back comparisons between the two pieces of hardware, the Xede ran a bit more rough and felt more like a tuner car. Stepping on the accelerator would bring a very slight "lag" at low rpms, around 2000 or so, before the swell of torque built and began to thrust your body into the seats. The Xede also felt as if it ran a bit more lean since it seemed "snappy" at the low rpms when the boost came on but I've gotten slightly better gas mileage with the Procede so it's probably due to something else. Now, the car feels as if it were from the factory. Smooth across the entire rpm range and most notable from the lower part of the rpm range. Acceleration from 6th gear at 1600 rpms builds smoothly and quickly without any hesitation. That slight "lag" is basically completely gone, again feeling more like stock except that when you hit 2000rpms you really feel the power begin to smoothly build and build until it starts to taper off by 6400-6500 rpms.

Since I'm not as interested in quarter mile and top speed runs as I am with everyday drivabilty and backroad / mountain road driving, the Procede car is substantially better suited for my style of driving. With the Xede, power would come on "abruptly" when compared to the Procede. I adjusted but sometimes it still wasn't as smooth as I would've like it to be especially on low speed turns such as Highway 9's posted 15mph hairpin. Throttle response is clean and easy to modulate whether it be in the backroads or everyday street and freeway driving. The car inspires more confidence in my cornering and entry speeds but at the same time, it almost got me in a bit of trouble because I didn't think I was going all that fast being it was so smooth. Catching up to average motorcyclists in the corners was a breeze as my cornering speed was greater than theirs in high speed turns. Even in moderate speeds turns, the car had enough torque (and traction) to pull hard and keep up with those pesky sportbikes... just kidding as I ride a crotch rocket myself :rocks: :rocks: :rocks:

Finally, I had to test the software since Shiv and a few forum members mentioned the Procede would adjust between 91 and 93 octane gasoline. Fortunately for me, the road I take to get to the local mountain passes has a 76 station that serves up a mighty meal of 100 octane race fuel from the pump. At $5.40 a gallon it isn't cheap and I estimated that for every three gallons of 91, I need a gallon of 100 resulting in a bill that lightened my wallet by over $60 per fill up. However, now I'm extremely envious for folks who get 93 everyday. The car runs even better and there is an improvement in torque. I really couldn't tell if I picked up the extra horsepower as the car is already fast with 91 fuel. Mid range power is strong and short shifting on hard acceleration runs is extremely fun as you feel the smooth onslaught of torque on your body. I'm anxious waiting for Shiv to develop the wireless fob and 100 octane fuel map after experiencing what better fuel can do to the car's performance

If anyone is interested in a power upgrade as their first mod, this is it. There maybe less expensive "chips" out there, but I have no regrets shelling out the money for my experience thus far. As time passes, and who knows how long it'll be, maybe other companies will offer the performance gains of the Procede at a lower cost. But for now, I didn't want to wait and get my ass handed to me by other streetable modified cars looking to smack down obnoxious 335 owners
Sounds like you drive the same fun roads that I do! I have an email list of a bunch of car nuts and occationally I get the group together to go for rides in the hills. We meet at the ride and drive off the junction of 84 and 280. PM if you are interested in joining us sometime.

BTW, I go to the same 76 station for that fine liquor called 100 octane!

Great write up!