E90Post

GetBMWParts

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Charcoal Filter Removal worth the time?

05-01-2011, 11:32 AM   #23
benzo23
Colonel

Drives: 14 F30 AW MSport

God my car is so fast!
      05-01-2011, 01:00 PM   #24
AlpineSwift
Colonel

Drives: 2008 335Xi Coupé

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
Actually I used reason and common sense to determine that removal of the charcoal filter is pointless. See my first post in this thread for the specifics.

If anything, your own dyno confirms that it's not worth the time, as your negligible gains could easily be attributed to your other mods, or even variances with the dyno itself.

Of course, "worth the time" is totally subjective. To me, a pointless mod is not worth even 5 minutes. Obviously you disagree.

But if you'd rather resort to ad hominems, be my guest. It just shows that this conversation, like the charcoal filter delete, is also pointless.
Your over usage of the word "pointless" solidifies your incompetence to make a valid argument. Therefore, I will not waste my time with yet another Holier-than-thou 1 Series owner.

Happy motoring.
E92 '08 335Xi 6AT - Cobb AP V2, ar design DP's, Race Cats in the mids, Stock cans, VRSF CP w/Tial BOV, VRSF 7" FMIC, BMS DCI, BMS Cowl, H&R Coilovers, Renn Motorsport RS-51's, Alpina TCU Flash, Turner Boost Gauge, Fully Coded.
Best 1/4mi: 13.201 @ 106.93 / 2.0 60' / DA=9300ft

Tanya: The Build Thread
AlpineSwift is offline   United_States
      05-01-2011, 02:14 PM   #25
Hooy
Colonel

Drives: 2008 328i Coupe

Garage List
2008 E92 328  [2.50]
It seriously took me no more than 30 minutes. Almost all of that time was unscrewing, rescrewing, and rubbing sand paper on it. A monkey could do this.

As far as a difference goes, I don't know. Nor do I care. I enjoy messing with these things, so why the hell not?
      05-01-2011, 03:31 PM   #26
PhillyNate
ENTHUSIAST

Drives: 2014 Toyota GT-86

Garage List
I've got 1 year of warranty left and I'm torn between this mod or the eurobox when the warranty is done.

"what I'm driving here...is an ending." Jeremy Clarkson
2014 Whiteout Toyota GT-86 6mt(Presently enjoying WAY more than anticipated)
2011 Alpine White BMW M3 6mt ZCP Coupe(forced retirement 06/06/14)
2008 Alpine White BMW 328i 6mt Coupe(retired 06/21/11
)
PhillyNate is offline   United_States
      05-01-2011, 04:00 PM   #27
Bimmer-Bob
!

Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineSwift View Post
Your over usage of the word "pointless" solidifies your incompetence to make a valid argument. Therefore, I will not waste my time with yet another Holier-than-thou 1 Series owner.

Happy motoring.
I used the word exactly thrice. Twice to describe the mod, and once to describe this conversation. Doing so was a deliberate attempt to tie the two together. I'm sorry you didn't catch that.

As far as any valid argument, again, I reference my 1st post. I think it's fairly well-reasoned, and that I explained myself rather clearly and logically. My whole "point" (get it?) in posting was to generate some sort of rational discourse on the topic.

It's puzzling that someone whose most compelling argument thus far relates to "sandy vajayjays" would have any room to criticize the ability of others to make valid arguments. I guess it's true what all of us 1 Series owners think about E90Post.
      05-05-2011, 07:59 PM   #28
krnboy817
Major

Drives: 2008 328i coupe

from what i read... OP started this thread because he/she was some what interested in this mod. i guess its just that OP cant decide whether or not can/should/would do it or just leave it alone. but just the fact of knowing of a such mod exists gives that itch... and started this thread to at least see what others are saying or doing about it.

its ok if you do not want to do this... and if you do well you wont have any questions about it afterwards.

but in all honesty... really really really.... really simple mod. you cant go wrong... unless your just a person that everything goes wrong when you touch something.

there is no words to describe this mod or any mods to 100% just got to take people's words for it... this is almost like a "beginners" mod so there is a lot of threads about this... please search and read to the fullest.

if you cant... then just suck it up and do it or forget about it.

driving is poetry in motion.
krnboy817 is offline   South Korea
      07-31-2012, 10:27 PM   #29
802Bimmer
Enlisted Member

Drives: 08' 328xi 6mt

Garage List
2008 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
I used the word exactly thrice. Twice to describe the mod, and once to describe this conversation. Doing so was a deliberate attempt to tie the two together. I'm sorry you didn't catch that.

As far as any valid argument, again, I reference my 1st post. I think it's fairly well-reasoned, and that I explained myself rather clearly and logically. My whole "point" (get it?) in posting was to generate some sort of rational discourse on the topic.

It's puzzling that someone whose most compelling argument thus far relates to "sandy vajayjays" would have any room to criticize the ability of others to make valid arguments. I guess it's true what all of us 1 Series owners think about E90Post.
In the time you have taken bitterly arguing a mod that most people do just for the fun of tinkering on their cars, you could have done 4 carbon filter deletes. hahaha... lighten up bob.
      07-31-2012, 10:53 PM   #30
chaFT328i
Private First Class

Drives: e90 07 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyNate View Post
I've got 1 year of warranty left and I'm torn between this mod or the eurobox when the warranty is done.
And to contribute to the thread: I'd honestly spend the extra $$ on the Eurobox + K&N filter. Keeps the stock intake in one(well... 2) piece(s) for future convenience, easier to replace filter, and IIRC, cone filters(EU) are better in terms of performance.

ECS Tuning has both the Eurobox and K&N filter for about $450 shipped:
Eurobox
K&N filter
chaFT328i is offline   United_States
      08-01-2012, 06:11 PM   #31
PhillyNate
ENTHUSIAST

Drives: 2014 Toyota GT-86

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaFT328i View Post

And to contribute to the thread: I'd honestly spend the extra $$ on the Eurobox + K&N filter. Keeps the stock intake in one(well... 2) piece(s) for future convenience, easier to replace filter, and IIRC, cone filters(EU) are better in terms of performance.

ECS Tuning has both the Eurobox and K&N filter for about $450 shipped:
Eurobox
K&N filter
I did upgrade the intake, but with an M3.

"what I'm driving here...is an ending." Jeremy Clarkson
2014 Whiteout Toyota GT-86 6mt(Presently enjoying WAY more than anticipated)
2011 Alpine White BMW M3 6mt ZCP Coupe(forced retirement 06/06/14)
2008 Alpine White BMW 328i 6mt Coupe(retired 06/21/11
)
PhillyNate is offline   United_States
      08-03-2012, 10:47 PM   #32
chaFT328i
Private First Class

Drives: e90 07 328i

^^sorry, didn't realize this was a necropost.
chaFT328i is offline   United_States
      08-04-2012, 12:50 AM   #33
Light_Em_Up

Drives: 128is

Quote:
Originally Posted by 802Bimmer View Post
In the time you have taken bitterly arguing a mod that most people do just for the fun of tinkering on their cars, you could have done 4 carbon filter deletes. hahaha... lighten up bob.
When I replaced the stock air intake on my 128 with the BMW performance intake, I also did the carbon filter delete. The result of the two was a noticeable improvement in throttle response. Given the consistency of the charcoal filter it seems logical that it's removal played a significant part in the throttle response improvement.

Jack
      08-04-2012, 10:38 PM   #34
802Bimmer
Enlisted Member

Drives: 08' 328xi 6mt

Garage List
2008 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
I recently removed the charcoal filter and added K&N filter. It took 1/2 hour and was fun to do. I love little projects like this weather the performance changes or not. For me it is enjoyable to work on my car and put my own personal touches on it. I do hear a nice new noise from the engine, not a growl like a cone filter but its there and the car pulls a little better now. So in conclusion i'm glad I did this mod.
      08-05-2012, 05:49 AM   #35
mlifxs
Diamond Geezer

Drives: Jet Black 2007 328i Saloon

Garage List
I definitely have a highway mpg increase, around .1.5 mpg. Power increase is maybe. I'd do it again just for the mpg.
Most of the criticism here is healthy skepticism, but most of it could also be leveled at other intake mods. This one costs 100s less to try.