E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > BMW Conversations: ActiveE Q&A from NYIAS

04-27-2011, 09:41 PM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Cool BMW Conversations: ActiveE Q&A from NYIAS

BIMMERPOST NEWS
BMW Conversations: ActiveE Q&A from NYIAS
COMMENTS

Active E - 100% Electric. 100% BMW. Learn more about it from the event, BMW Conversations: BMW ActiveE, that aired at the NY Auto Show on April 20th, where questions were answered by ActiveE experts submitted through Facebook.

Bimmerpost members did a great job submitting questions to BMW. As you can see in the video, BMW was responsive to many of them.

The BMW ActiveE will be available for lease in select markets beginning in Fall 2011 for $499 per month for 24 months with a down payment $2,250. It will be available for lease in the metropolitan markets of Los Angeles, San Diego, San Francisco, Sacramento, New York and Boston as well as the state of Connecticut. The ActiveE has a maximum power output of 170 hp and a maximum torque of 184 lb-ft, the latter is available from a standstill as typical of electric powered vehicles. This makes for an acceleration from 0 to 60 mph in under nine seconds while top speed is electronically limited at around 90 mph.

Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 09:58 AM   #2
Crisp
Lieutenant Colonel
Albania
Rep
Drives: F95 X5M

Garage List
Hmm.

2 year lease with unlimited miles.
I'm glad the price isn't ridiculous. $499/mo with $2k down sounds reasonable to be for such a car, especially since it's a BMW.

24 hours to charge with a normal outlet though?!

I guess he said it would require two plugs next to each other to charge in 4-5 hours. I wonder how much the electricity bill went up for the months this guy was using/charging the car. This is a car that is supposed to save gas, which means it's supposed to save money, but the electricity bill has to be added up also.
      04-28-2011, 10:06 AM   #3
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
Two of my questions got asked!

The activeE has some pretty awesome technology - BMW is doing this right, and the 100 Mi Range is awesome.

I am not too interested in the i3 because of its small size, but an i model with 1series size would be great.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 10:43 AM   #4
Streetluger06
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i coupe

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Electric cars with a 100 mile range have been around for a long time. I really hope some company will start making a real effort at an electric car like tesla has with the model s. 100 miles on a charge isn't anything to write home about. Realistically a manufacturer should be able to build an electric car with considerably more range than a consumer can build one with.

I am glad to see there is some effort to promote electric cars.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 11:13 AM   #5
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetluger06 View Post
Electric cars with a 100 mile range have been around for a long time. I really hope some company will start making a real effort at an electric car like tesla has with the model s. 100 miles on a charge isn't anything to write home about. Realistically a manufacturer should be able to build an electric car with considerably more range than a consumer can build one with.

I am glad to see there is some effort to promote electric cars.
It is something to write about when the range of the Chevy Volt is significantly less (35).

Sure the Tesla gets 300 but most people have commutes less than 50 miles one way.

But if you really think tesla can make a better car for the average person sit tight because they will be offering a mid level car to compete with BMW, Chevy, and others.
Appreciate 0