E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Lux H8 v3 for E90 LCI — Pictorial Review

05-02-2011, 02:52 AM   #1
JuryTM
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335d M-Sport

Lux H8 v3 for E90 LCI — Pictorial Review

If you're thinking of buying the Lux H8 v3 for your BMW then, like most of us here, you probably care a ton about how it will actually look. Unfortunately, when it comes to Angel Eye comparison shots, it's really hard to find good sample imagery. Either the shots are horribly over or under-exposed and don't really do justice to what the lights look like at various times of the day.

Being an avid photographer and BMW owner, I figured I'd try to at least solve that problem as I installed my new Lux H8's.

Installation
First, a word on the installation — If you're trying to get these babies into an E90 LCI, get ready for an insanely tight fit. I've got big hands, so that complicates things, but the install process really is a bit of a pain. I found myself wondering about half way through if I would have made better time by just taking off the front bumper for better access to the headlights.

While that's probably a bit extreme, between operating in a really tight space and not being able to see what you're doing, this can be a frustrating experience. My first H8 slid into place without much effort once I got the angle right. The second one (which for me was the driver's side -- a much more cramped place to operate) took another 45 minutes of fiddling. I'm sure someone else will come by and say the install took them 30 seconds total, all while they flipped burgers and chugged a beer with their spare hand, but for us mere mortals, it's a little tough.

Impressions
Overall, I'm very pleased with the Lux H8's. They're at least as bright as the OEM angel eyes and beautifully match the color temperature of the xenon headlights on my E90 LCI. Not surprisingly, performance drops off in bright sunlight and when frontally lit. Comparatively, the OEMs do a better job in these situations. I'm more convinced that this is a function of color temperature than of any apparent lack of brightness from the Lux's. In fact, in cloudy, indirect sunlight, or early evening conditions, these angel eyes really pop.

Personally, I'd like them to be brighter. However, the problems I've noticed seem more a function of the way the angel eyes have been engineered to illuminate than in the Lux's themselves. Even the OEM bulbs exhibit issues with off angle viewing, so the fact that this problem is still present with the Lux's is no surprise. It's unlikely that any other replacement bulb would do a better job than the Lux's. The only step up from here (which I'm still contemplating doing) are going with OSS or BavarianX for the full angel eye LED ring replacement. While those are likely to be the most striking angel eyes money can buy, the Lux's are about a third the cost and still look damn good. Suffice it to say, while I may plan on doing the BavarianX treatment some day, the Lux's will keep me happy for some time to come.

The Photos
Most shots in this set use the same exposure and focal length to be as consistent as possible. Where they differ, I've tried to capture an image that is as similar to how the lights appeared to the naked eye as possible.

OEM Angel Eyes

OEM Side Angle

Half install — Lux on left of photo. Intensely top and backlit

Side shot of half install

Full install done

Full install side shot

Other side full install

Front lit morning shot

Front lit morning side shot

Mid-day Shade

Side of Mid-day shade

Edge of Dusk — Capturing at the normal exposure of the other shots proved insufficient for these evening shots. These were exposed to match the perceived intensity of the angel eyes as closely as possible.

Edge of dusk with headlights on
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2011, 12:06 PM   #2
LuxAngelEyes
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

awesome review thank you.

One thing you mentioned is that they look dimmer when in direct sunlight in comparison to the stock angel eyes. This is mostly because the LUX H8 are the same color as sunlight, so they tend to blend in. With the stock angel eyes there is a color difference so you see more contrast in color.

Glad your happy with them!
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2011, 12:10 PM   #3
JuryTM
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Thanks for making a great product, Marc!

They are indeed very awesome.

I definitely agree that the full sunlight performance is more a function of color temperature than anything else.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2011, 11:54 PM   #4
Ghost170
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: VIP Sport 335!

Garage List
nice!

AA AE GP HR LC M3 KW BMS BMW LUX CYBA STRI WORK HELIX MTECH LSWEEE(Wavetrac)!
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2011, 12:23 PM   #5
MTP335
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Nice review! Thx!
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2011, 01:05 PM   #6
JuryTM
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Glad it was useful for ya :-)
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2011, 04:13 PM   #7
E92-Lighting
United_States
Rep
Drives: Next Generation LED Lighting

very impressive shots
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2011, 11:47 PM   #8
ibarry92
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 328xi

Phenomenal job. You are right, if only they were a little brighter? By any chance anyone know if the brightness on the Lux H8 are the same as the ones on the stock 2011 models?
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2011, 07:53 PM   #9
Whitevdub
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 Alpine White 328xi M-sport

the install on these is definitely a bitch on the e90's. i got mine yesterday and tried to install them right away but looks like i'll be holding off till the weekend. I couldn't get it in the right angle. did you remove the plastic piece of the headlight as it says on the lux website? any other install tips?
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 12:18 AM   #10
_shim
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: an e90

Damn, great pics and a good review as well!
      06-02-2011, 01:20 AM   #11
sn0pea
Captain
Rep
Drives: Black 325i 2006

Do the new Lux ambers look good in direct sunlight because of their color?

2006 325i: Matte Black Grills, AG m310 19's (19X8.5et35 & 19X9.5et33 - 235/35/19 & 265/30/19), Amber Covers, Magnaflow with black tips, Blacked Emblems, M3 Replica Bumper and Vorsteiner hood!
Appreciate 0