E90Post

ECS BMW

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > E90 Servicing

09-03-2014, 02:47 AM   #1
Filemakerjim

Drives: 2008 320d

E90 Servicing

I had my car serviced about 12 months ago and thought it must be due again soon. My dash states that I have another 13000km or July 2015. I contacted the BMW service centre and they said just go by the dash and don't worry. Should I worry???
      09-03-2014, 01:03 PM   #2
Efthreeoh
Brigadier General

Drives: E90

With the understanding that you have a Aussie spec 320i, which I'm not directly familiar with, but I'm assuming your car has the same or similar Condition Based Service (CBS) system as the rest of the E90 model, so my answer is as follows.

The CBS system monitors the service needs of the following items:
- Engine oil change interval
- Front Brake pad wear
- Rear Break pad wear
- Brake fluid service (system flush every 24 months)
- Cabin Airfilter (up to model year 2009)
- Spark Plugs
- State/Provence road worthiness (safety) inspections
- Emission system inspections
- General chassis inspections (every 30,000 miles)

Driveline fluids changes are 100,000 miles. And coolant is every 100,000 miles.

Your owner's manual will explain how to access the CBS menus and determine when services are due.
Efthreeoh is offline   United_States
      09-04-2014, 05:56 AM   #3
Filemakerjim

Drives: 2008 320d

Thanks for your reply. I should of mentioned that I have a 320d. I dropped into the BMW Service centre today and they assured me that I can go 2 years before requiring a service and as you have stated trust the inbuilt computer. Thanks again for taking the time to reply.
      09-04-2014, 09:47 AM   #4
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant

Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filemakerjim View Post
Thanks for your reply. I should of mentioned that I have a 320d. I dropped into the BMW Service centre today and they assured me that I can go 2 years before requiring a service and as you have stated trust the inbuilt computer. Thanks again for taking the time to reply.
Your car may end up calling for an oil change before the service - 20k km is about the limit for the LL-04 oil in the 320d N47, and you've already got some miles on the oil probably. One of the peculiarities of Condition Based Service (and not one I like) is that the owner makes more trips for service (to the dealer or whoever) than the old-fashioned "every-12-months-or-12K-miles" method.
floydarogers is offline   United_States
      09-06-2014, 06:29 AM   #5
Efthreeoh
Brigadier General

Drives: E90

Okay, just to make this clear. The system separately determines the need for service of each of the items I listed. That means the service indicator can come on for an oil change and then a month later come on for brake service. When the service light comes on it does not mean all the monitored items need servicing.
Efthreeoh is offline   United_States