E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > loosing coolant?

06-19-2015, 02:18 PM   #1
fordperf
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 335xi LCI

Question loosing coolant?

About 8 months ago the car said my coolant was low, and it was; I added water (unfortunately it was from a bucket, I really dont know how much I added).

Just yesterday the car said the same thing, and I added 3 water bottles of water to it.

I dont see any stains under any of the spots I park my car, and dont see stains under the hood. So where the hell is my coolant going?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2015, 02:41 PM   #2
nynyny
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive E92

I had the same problem which ended with the water pump failing and needing replacement. Also, it's usually not a good idea to just add water (especially 'out of a bucket'). I believe the adhered to formula is a 50/50 mix of coolant and distilled water.

I believe since the pump needs to work harder it uses more coolant? Not sure about the science behind that, but the diagnosis remains the same.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2015, 03:49 PM   #3
fordperf
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 335xi LCI

Considering both times I was in a parking deck in the middle of Newark, I had to improvise and use what was available
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2015, 04:33 PM   #4
ajaye
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 328xi SGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordperf View Post
Considering both times I was in a parking deck in the middle of Newark, I had to improvise and use what was available
If you have a small leak/leaks, adding straight water should be reserved for a "get me home" only option. If the system can't pressurize properly, which it won't with a small leak, the boiling point in the coolant system is lowered, and the water is expelled from the leak as steam, hence no obvious sign of a leak. Also, the pump is supposed to be able to determine if the ratio of water-coolant is incorrect...what it does from there I couldn't tell you.
Appreciate 0