TNT Racewerks
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > New BMW owner. FRM Died?

10-01-2016, 04:37 PM   #1

Drives: 2011 BMW 328i

New BMW owner. FRM Died?

Afternoon guys,

I'm new to working on cars. Bear with me.

I'm a proud new owner of a 2011 BMW 328i 65k miles. Undoubtedly the best feeling I've ever gotten after purchasing a car.

I brought it home about 3 months ago. Everything was running smooth as butter.

About a week ago my battery died as I made a quick stop into the grocery store. I got a quick jump from a sweet lady and everything seemed fine when I drove home. I called my local shop who, from what I have been told, are good with dealing with BMWs and made an appointment. I figure it was gonna be a quick battery swap.

Now the next day I noticed something wrong. The car started fine and I was on my way to the shop. I noticed my headlight functions(always on is fine), signal lights, interior lights and windows all don't work. Speedometer doesn't light up. Taillights work. Power mirrors work.

I told myself to just wait and see what the battery swap does. Well it did nothing. I called my shop and told them about it. Now I asked them what it could be and they seemed like they didn't want to tell me.

From my research it seems like I've blown something called a Footwell module? FRM module? How problematic is that to swap? I've read I need to get in there to order an exact matching part number so no coding will be necessary if I do it myself.

I would like to do it myself and would be the most complex job I've ever done on a car. I can change oil all day

I've also done a little research on INPA, BMW tools, coding. I majored in IT so i'm pretty savvy with a computer if it helps with any of that. It seems like something I would definitely like to take on.

Also, just to get started. Any recommendations on a OBD reader? I found this one at Amazon and seems pretty well reviewed and loved https://www.amazon.com/BAFX-Products.../dp/B005NLQAHS

Last edited by 8code; 10-01-2016 at 04:41 PM. Reason: title change
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2016, 08:34 PM   #2

Drives: E92 335

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [0.00]
(N)FRM is module responsible for lights
If you replace it you will need to code it anyways, but its easy
99% FRM modules can be fixed, there are services who you can ship to and they will fix.

For beginning, you will need cable called K+DCan, most reliable source is http://**************.com

then you can download ready windows image (works in vmware or virtualbox) with all the neccesery software loaded/configuret set up (you can find the link in Coding subforum here)

Then you can code it yourself or pay someone who can code it for you.

PM me if you have additional questions
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2016, 01:17 PM   #3
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2011 335is 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [4.50]
I haven't been able to find anything on it, but when checking for the injector extended warranty on my car, bmw-rp.com also shows an reimbursable on my car called "BMW ELW Footwell Module" look into that and see if there is an extended BMW NA campaign on it.

BTW, mine went out a few months back and was covered by my extended 3rd party warranty.

EDIT: Also, did you register the battery with the car's computer when replacing? If not, that could also be a cause.
Appreciate 0