E90Post

Bimmertech

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > p0442 small leak detected

08-14-2014, 03:23 AM   #1
blazerex
Registered

Drives: 2006 330i

p0442 small leak detected

Hi guys, my 06 330i threw a p0442 code last year which is diagnosed as "Evaporative Emission (EVAP) System Small Leak Detected". At first the loose gas cap symbol showed up on the dash but only one time so I assumed it was that. I replaced it with the newer blue seal gas cap but the SES light is still on and has remained that way for the past year. Its time to smog again and I need to get this issue sorted out ASAP. Any help on where to start would be really appreciated, thanks.
      08-14-2014, 06:13 AM   #2
Efthreeoh
Brigadier General

Drives: E90

I had this same issue with my car in 2007. The 2006 E90 manual does not show the symbol for a loose gas cap, so I had no idea what the symbol was. Anyway, I kept clearing the EVAP code with my BT scan tool and it kept coming back. The car was still under warranty so on my next maintenance service I had BMW check it out. It turned out that a mouse had bit a hole in one of the EVAC lines coming off the fuel fill hose that goes to the EVAP canister. The dealer found the leak by using a smoke test tool.

My only other suggestion is the EVAP pump is going bad. Your scan tool should be able to test it.
Efthreeoh is online now   United_States