E90Post
 


European Auto Source
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Wow, 28-29 mpg highway on 335xi



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-17-2011, 09:45 PM   #1
landau88
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2007 335xi
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Philadelphia

Posts: 303
iTrader: (0)

Wow, 28-29 mpg highway on 335xi

I decided to drive like a normal person to and from work today (45 mile commute each way, 80% highway) and I averaged 28.4 mpg! I typically average around 20 mpg so I really must drive like a dick normally.

</end story>

<begin "cool story bros">
landau88 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-17-2011, 09:47 PM   #2
bmw-nj
Captain
 
bmw-nj's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 BMW 335 xdrive M sport
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Hillsborough, NJ

Posts: 634
iTrader: (1)

auto or 6mt
bmw-nj is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-17-2011, 10:00 PM   #3
GarySL
First Lieutenant
 
GarySL's Avatar
 
Drives: 335xi E90
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Humboldt Co., CA

Posts: 385
iTrader: (0)

I get the same average as you, so I must drive like a dick too! Must come with the territory.
__________________
'08 335xi (E90), 6MT, Arctic/Black, ZPP, ZSP (18"s), ZCW, CA, PDC, i-Pod
Ordered-March 7, 2008, Shipped via Graceful Leader-March 21, 2008,
Arrived Port Hueneme-April 11, 2008, Delivered-April 21, 2008
GarySL is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-17-2011, 10:04 PM   #4
landau88
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2007 335xi
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Philadelphia

Posts: 303
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw-nj View Post
auto or 6mt
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleclutch View Post
I can average 40 mpg down hill.....

Too many factors here...slope, road conditions, weather, aerodynamics, comfort features (a/c)...they and others play a role in mpg.

Automatic transmission (mostly D move, occasionally manual mode), flat roads of suburban Philadelphia, 68 degrees F w/ overcast skies, air conditioning on 68 degrees F on 2nd to lowest. Pretty EFFING impressive for a 300 hp/300 tq AWD sedan if you ask me...
landau88 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-17-2011, 10:11 PM   #5
Coolieman1220
Banned
 
Drives: 2010 335d
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New York City

Posts: 1,770
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by landau88 View Post
Automatic transmission (mostly D move, occasionally manual mode), flat roads of suburban Philadelphia, 68 degrees F w/ overcast skies, air conditioning on 68 degrees F on 2nd to lowest. Pretty EFFING impressive for a 300 hp/300 tq AWD sedan if you ask me...
was this computer #'s are calculated verified at the pump?
Coolieman1220 is offline   Trinidad_and_tobago
0
Reply With Quote
      05-17-2011, 11:22 PM   #6
335Base
New Member
 
Drives: E90 335 6MT ZSP
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ohio

Posts: 23
iTrader: (0)

I averaged 29.1 MPG over on a recent 850 mile round trip from Columbus Ohio to Washington DC with my 08 335i sedan. The trip is 100% freeway. I have a six speed manual and left the AC off. Incidentally, this was right after having four new fuel injectors installed. My range increased from about 390 miles to 430 miles with the new injectors. I routinely make this trip. Before I entered the mountains and about 200 miles into the trip, I was at 33mpg. I also toyed around with an early 70's GTO on the way home, racing UP the hills. I think he thought his classic muscle car would pull away going up the mountain, but I was easily able to pull away from him on each run (in sixth gear). Other than that, I traveled with the cruise on and stayed about 4mph over the posted limits which range from 55 to 70. The 29 MPG figure included about four WOT runs up the mountain passes on I-68.

If you ever encounter your engine running rough at startup, take it to the dealer as there's a recall on the fuel injectors. My car ran better than when it was new after getting the new injectors.
335Base is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-18-2011, 12:14 AM   #7
bmw-nj
Captain
 
bmw-nj's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 BMW 335 xdrive M sport
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Hillsborough, NJ

Posts: 634
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335Base View Post
I averaged 29.1 MPG over on a recent 850 mile round trip from Columbus Ohio to Washington DC with my 08 335i sedan. The trip is 100% freeway. I have a six speed manual and left the AC off. Incidentally, this was right after having four new fuel injectors installed. My range increased from about 390 miles to 430 miles with the new injectors. I routinely make this trip. Before I entered the mountains and about 200 miles into the trip, I was at 33mpg. I also toyed around with an early 70's GTO on the way home, racing UP the hills. I think he thought his classic muscle car would pull away going up the mountain, but I was easily able to pull away from him on each run (in sixth gear). Other than that, I traveled with the cruise on and stayed about 4mph over the posted limits which range from 55 to 70. The 29 MPG figure included about four WOT runs up the mountain passes on I-68.

If you ever encounter your engine running rough at startup, take it to the dealer as there's a recall on the fuel injectors. My car ran better than when it was new after getting the new injectors.
is the recall for fuel injectors on the 2008 335xi or just the 2007?
bmw-nj is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-18-2011, 06:43 AM   #8
bkrM3
Major
 
bkrM3's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Main Line

Posts: 1,379
iTrader: (9)

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [4.75]
I got 26.7mpg driving "like a dick" to pittsburgh last weekend - tuned

These cars are incredible.
__________________
E90 M3 Space/Fox/6MT
E92 335i BSM/Saddle/6MT - Sold
bkrM3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-18-2011, 07:55 AM   #9
smokinHawk
623lb puller
 
Drives: 2008 335xi MB
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: ohio

Posts: 180
iTrader: (2)

the recall is for the 2008, i have mine going in to get them done next week.

make sure you calculate by hand, mine says 28-29mpg after each tank but actual is 24-26 i get 370-400miles per tank

my transam when it was stock would get 25mpg with 300rwhp and 21mpg at 512rwhp when i modded it. So for the same power it could get the same mpg as the bimmer.
smokinHawk is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-18-2011, 08:15 AM   #10
DASHOCKER
The power of V!
 
DASHOCKER's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 335i coupe steptronic
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: NYC

Posts: 1,857
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
1998 Lexus Gs400  [0.00]
2010 ebony & ivory  [0.00]
2006 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 pics  [0.00]
2009 e92 335 xdrive  [0.00]
Send a message via Yahoo to DASHOCKER
These cars are good on gas. Who needs a boring, can't hear the engine at idle, hybrid?
__________________
2007 335 coupe Alpine white, steptronic, sportpack, etc. (gone)
2006 X3 3.0 steptronic Titanium Silver, 2009 E92 335xdrive, next.... Caddy CTS_V! 13 Lincoln MKZ? hmmm.
DASHOCKER is offline   Germany
0
Reply With Quote
      05-18-2011, 08:27 AM   #11
07_335i_AW
Captain
 
07_335i_AW's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: North Las Vegas

Posts: 636
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinHawk View Post
the recall is for the 2008, i have mine going in to get them done next week.

make sure you calculate by hand, mine says 28-29mpg after each tank but actual is 24-26 i get 370-400miles per tank

my transam when it was stock would get 25mpg with 300rwhp and 21mpg at 512rwhp when i modded it. So for the same power it could get the same mpg as the bimmer.
I had my injectors done on my July build 07. They replaced 1-5 a couple months back and now I have a cyl 6 misfire.

I like the gas mileage on these cars. I usually get 22-23 around town not trying to be conservative and 28-29 on the highway with cruise set at 82.
07_335i_AW is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-18-2011, 10:13 AM   #12
Blubaron79
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Blubaron79's Avatar
 
Drives: '14 435 XDrive
Join Date: May 2009
Location: PA

Posts: 1,846
iTrader: (0)

My father has a 2009 Chevy Malibu with the 2.4 4cly motor. I get better gas mileage on the highway than he does in my 335xi going 5-10mph faster than him...

I think it's partly due the fact he only has the 4 speed tranny.
__________________
'14 435 XDrive: Mineral Grey, MSport, 19's, Coral Leather, Alum. Trim, Every option (except Active Cruise), MPPK, black grille, clear bra.
Blubaron79 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-18-2011, 12:20 PM   #13
Syndicategt
Brigadier General
 
Syndicategt's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Nor Cal

Posts: 3,732
iTrader: (11)

I averaged 31.3 mpg going from San Fran to LA on I5 (before hitting traffic). Average speed was 76mph, and this was with a FBO car. Seems they do better going faster

Only get 22 mpg around town with my spirited driving.
__________________
2008 BMW 335i e90 - Sold - Rob Beck Turbos / PROcede V5 / Aquamist HFS-4 / AR Downpipes / AE Exhaust / ER Comp FMIC / ER CP / TiAL BOV / Custom Intake / RPI Scoops / Quaife LSD / Swift-Koni Coilovers / DSS HS / Morr VS8.2 Sig Black / Michelin PSS / P3 Boost Guage / M3 body / M3 steering wheel / Adam's Rotors / Hawk HPS / SS lines /
Syndicategt is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-18-2011, 01:27 PM   #14
smokinHawk
623lb puller
 
Drives: 2008 335xi MB
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: ohio

Posts: 180
iTrader: (2)

OOPS i meant the recall is for the 2008 also (along with the 2007)
smokinHawk is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:44 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST