E90Post

European Auto Source

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > How did you mount your front lip?

03-09-2017, 12:03 PM   #1
DarknessReigns
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335 e92 coupe

How did you mount your front lip?

I've got a front aero lip painted and ready for install.

From the youtube videos I've seen, people have been using 2 way 3M tape. Not sure how well this will hold?

There are small bolts at the bottom of the bumper that will secure the bottom, so I'm not too concerned with that.

Any of you use epoxy to mount it? How did that work, did you have to sand the bottom of bumper for proper adhesion?

For those that used 3M 2 way tape, how do you slide it in place without the lip sticking in the wrong place?

Finally, did you have something lean on the lip overnight to let it cure in the right place?

Any help appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2017, 10:27 AM   #2
YRN
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i e90

Not sure if you found an answer yet. But typically from what I know and personal experience. I just use the bolts that came with the lip and mount it to the bottom of the bumper. It should be enough to hold it. I prefer not to use tape just incase I need to take the lip off in the winter or something
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2017, 12:11 PM   #3
Wolf 335
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

If you are talking about this lip:

Name:  1234.JPG
Views: 513
Size:  15.1 KB

I used 3m double sided tape. All I am going to say is practice putting it on in the right position before applying the tape. Once the tape catches it's game over, that thing is not coming off easily.

Dealer uses and liquid epoxy adhesive to attach the lip. If you go this route it is easier as it gives you a moment to position it properly without rushing, however it will never ever come off again. At that point it becomes part of the bumper permanently.

I've had mine on for 4 years now, and it hasn't budged. It's on there solid.
I even plow snow with it every winter.

It takes a beating from all the salt and stones, so I would recommend some sort of a cover for it during winter time.

Edit: I cleaned the surface of the lip and bumper thoroughly prior to application. I then heated the lip tape area with a hair dryer before placing tape on it. I then heated the tape and applied the lip to the bumper.

Last edited by Wolf 335; 03-13-2017 at 12:49 PM.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2017, 12:26 PM   #4
igzekyativ
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328xi Wagon

Garage List
2007 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
I just got a front lip. I used the red 3m automotive tape (7/8" wide). There are also 4 bolts underneath that attach it to the car.

It was a bit cold when I first installed, so I don't think the tape made a great connection, because about a week later the lip had come off the bumper, luckily the 4 bolts held it in place. I did clean the lip and the bumper with rubbing alcohol before installation.

I think the bolt hole placement was pushing the lip forward and away from the bumper, and thus why the tape failed (and also the cold weather).

I have taken the lip off and I got some new tape and this time, I also bought some adhesion promoter which I will apply to the lip before laying down the 3m tape, and apply to the bumper before attaching the lip to the bumper.

Once the lip is set, then I will see how the holes line up for the bolts, if needed I will drill new holes or enlarge the current ones to allow the bolts to line up.
2007 328xi Wagon, Black Sapphire Metallic, Sports Package, Cold Weather Package, Rear PDC, Airlift kit with 3P mgmt, CF Akrym rep lip, LCI M-Tech front bumper, LUX Angel Eyes, Black Kidneys, LED Interior Lights, M3 Steering Wheel with Extended Billet DCT Paddles, 19" Staggered VMR 710's
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2017, 01:26 PM   #5
DarknessReigns
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks for the responses Gents.

After some research, I found that BMW uses this stuff called Betalink.
It's basically Urethane, same stuff used for glass installs.

So I bought some from my local CMAX store:

http://www.crlaurence.ca/crlapps/sho...&ModelID=19853

I plan on installing it sometime in the next week or two. I'll post back with the outcome.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2017, 01:54 PM   #6
ssdara
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90bimmer_GTA View Post
Not sure if you found an answer yet. But typically from what I know and personal experience. I just use the bolts that came with the lip and mount it to the bottom of the bumper. It should be enough to hold it. I prefer not to use tape just incase I need to take the lip off in the winter or something
I recommend using nuts with the bolts. I had a lip fall off held in by 8 screws! Vibrations and such can shake it loose.
      03-15-2017, 10:25 AM   #7
YRN
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssdara View Post
I recommend using nuts with the bolts. I had a lip fall off held in by 8 screws! Vibrations and such can shake it loose.
Wow, thanks for the heads up. Didn't think that would happen but makes total sense
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 10:17 AM   #8
DarknessReigns
Enlisted Member
Rep

So figured I'd post a follow up to the install in the event it will help anyone in the future.

I ended up ditching the 2 way tape idea and glad I did, since I stuck it on the lip and let it sit for a few days (without mounting it to the car yet) and tried to remove the tape and a lot of it came off, even though I cleaned the lip before applying.

That being said I ended up using this Betaseal U418 http://cattons.ca/store/urathane/bet...dhesive-u-418/

It basically goes into a caulking gun and comes out like black silicone/tar.
Once dried it is a very tough rubber like material.

The lip required to be heated at the ends that snap into the wheel well area in order to help get it to fit. Also it was mounted with the stock bolts under the front bumper.

Time will tell if this is solid, but I feel very confident in how tough it feels and the overall install.
Hope this helps anyone else looking to do an mtech lip install.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 11:20 AM   #9
Wolf 335
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

You went with aftermarket lip? How's the fitment?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 03:12 PM   #10
DarknessReigns
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf 335 View Post
You went with aftermarket lip? How's the fitment?
I did go with aftermarket. I believe it was http://www.jspecperformance.com/

I found the plastic material was very flexible when in was sitting in the garage on a shelf on a hot summer day, so not overly impressed with that. It almost had this melted look, but was easy to bend back into shape.
Fitment was good so no issues there.

If I had to do it again, I'd probably go with an OEM lip or aftermarket bumper.
That being said, I haven't had the chance to use it mounted on the car through the summer, so time will tell.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2017, 03:07 PM   #11
Eurocraze
Custom User Title
Rep
Drives: 09 335i

just mounted my splitter last night to my new m3 rep bumper using 1/2" wide 3m double sided tape I used various things in my garage to mock a mount up...saw my areas I needed to tape to make contact with the bumper and worked my way from one side to the other pressing it up.

She has held pretty well, however, I am going to install small self taping screws on the ends...
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2017, 03:13 PM   #12
shadow191
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i / '07 Infiniti FX

Long term, tape only on a splitter is going to be a gamble. The tape is very strong but on a splitter, it will eventually work itself a little loose from vibrations or if you ever scrape it. Then dirt and water will get on the tape and from then, it's a matter of time before it lets go entirely. Self tapping screws don't help that much. The head is small enough that if you actually hit something or have wind at highway speeds, splitter will just rip off.

I have my splitter mounted with bolts and washers. I used tape to hold it up while I mounted it and it's actually separated some. If I had used tape only, the splitter would be on the side of a highway somewhere.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2017, 09:50 PM   #13
DarknessReigns
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow191 View Post
Long term, tape only on a splitter is going to be a gamble. The tape is very strong but on a splitter, it will eventually work itself a little loose from vibrations or if you ever scrape it. Then dirt and water will get on the tape and from then, it's a matter of time before it lets go entirely. Self tapping screws don't help that much. The head is small enough that if you actually hit something or have wind at highway speeds, splitter will just rip off.

I have my splitter mounted with bolts and washers. I used tape to hold it up while I mounted it and it's actually separated some. If I had used tape only, the splitter would be on the side of a highway somewhere.
You guy's need to use the urethane caulking, this stuff is incredible.
Ultra strong and I can't see how this would ever break free.. Just think about how tough a windshield is to remove, this is the same stuff.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2017, 04:36 PM   #14
Sweens15
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i e92 Monaco Blue

I used around 6-8 nuts and bolts to mount mine. No issues with it since installation.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2017, 07:01 AM   #15
Kharazmatik
Rep
Drives: 06 e90 325i

Zip ties
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2017, 05:56 PM   #16
JJaber
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M-Sport

Self tapping screws on the OEM splitter which has like 12 holes precut. So far so good!
Appreciate 0