E90Post

European Auto Source

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Help needed - BMW newbie

05-20-2011, 10:36 AM   #45
phil3103
Private First Class

Drives: E90

Saloon. If I could get two sets in that'd been absolutely amazing.
      05-20-2011, 11:50 AM   #46
ed335d
Major General

Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
57 e92 M3  [5.00]
2008 e92 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil3103 View Post
Ok so TV is crossed off the list. Prob an extravagance too far. But given I would've been prepared to spec that I guess I can definitely justify the lumbar supports. I'm going to do a bit of research on the memory seats as I agree that the memory can't be £500 ! will report back.

Don't need the blinds. Already got the sun protection glass at the back and if I ever need blinds I'll get them in Halfords much cheaper. Same reason I didn't get the ski bag - can prob get one on eBay for much less.

That reminds me, I've got the folding rear seats specced at the mo. Does anyone actually use them. I've had them on all the cars I've had and the only one I've ever had the seats down on was the VXR Astra as it was the only way to get clubs in. And to me they just feel like something that might start to rattle one day! Question, if you don't get folding seats, does the armrest still give access to the boot ie to enable a ski bag to come through?

Also, are there any golfers? Can you actually get a set across the boot using the cut-outs? In the Audi I had to put them diagonally across which wasn't great going away for the weekend with other luggage. BMW assured me you can. Can anyone verify for me please?

Sorry guys the questions will stop on about 12 weeks! Can't wait to get some pics up!
Quote:
Oh also. I'm going to go and have a play with the adaptive cruise control. An excellent suggestion! I think that is a must have as I do get annoyed continuously messing around on motorways. You might as well just drive the car! And going forward, it's quite a new feature on lots of cars and so in 3 years it'll be more 'standard'.
I'd always go with folding seats, so much easier for that odd time you need to transport something a bit large (like 4 wheels!).

Is adaptive cruise the same as active cruise? I had active cruise control on the 335 - it was ok, but if I had the choice of that or some other options, it would be down the list.
      05-20-2011, 01:13 PM   #47
kaishang
Colonel

Drives: 2010 E90 330d

Quote:
Oh also. I'm going to go and have a play with the adaptive cruise control. An excellent suggestion! I think that is a must have as I do get annoyed continuously messing around on motorways. You might as well just drive the car! And going forward, it's quite a new feature on lots of cars and so in 3 years it'll be more 'standard'.
I have that. It's very useful. It reduces your workload a lot. I even use it a lot is 30mph built up areas.

I'm not that bothered by iDrive/Nav. The map display is very good and it's easy to zoom in and out, but I think a standalone Garmin or Tom Tom is significantly easier to use.
      05-20-2011, 02:40 PM   #48
phil3103
Private First Class

Adaptive. Sorry I meant active. The one that's about 1k on the option list. Need to have a think about it. It's a lot of cash for one little function that I can do myself.

Which I suppose also applies to the electric seats that I was about to suggest I'd favour putting in place of the active control if it was a toss up between the two!
      05-21-2011, 03:48 AM   #49
ed335d
Major General

Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
57 e92 M3  [5.00]
2008 e92 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Adaptive. Sorry I meant active. The one that's about 1k on the option list. Need to have a think about it. It's a lot of cash for one little function that I can do myself.

Which I suppose also applies to the electric seats that I was about to suggest I'd favour putting in place of the active control if it was a toss up between the two!
I found that the ACC leaves too big a gap to the car in front. Not that I drive too close, but it allows enough space for other drivers to pull in front of you - which causes the car to brake.

If the Mrs is going to be using the car a bit, the electric seats will retain settings based on individual keys, which means you don't have to keep adjusting them (I assume it will do this, as it does on the e92).
      05-21-2011, 04:24 AM   #50
phil3103
Private First Class

Right, I'm going to go down there today and see what's what. I think the active control is a no no. The Mrs will be driving the car quite a lot so I'm thinking we'll go for the memory seats and the comfort entry.

At the end of the day, given we're already spending north of 40k I shouldn't be penny pinching around a couple of grand to get the car absolutely right. And esp given what I'd already said about this one being a 3-4 year keeper.

Do you think I should ask the dealer for a bit of discount given I'm going in adding potentially another 2k of options?
      05-21-2011, 06:16 AM   #51
kaishang
Colonel

Drives: 2010 E90 330d

Quote:

Do you think I should ask the dealer for a bit of discount given I'm going in adding potentially another 2k of options?
Nobody buys full priced cars!

About the active cruise control leaving a gap large enought for people to change lanes in front of you: I don't find that. It has four distance following settings. The setting 1, the closest setting leaves about a 1.5 second gap to the car in front at freeway speeds. Plenty close enough. I usually use setting 2 or 3.

Have I mentioned the sunroof?
      05-21-2011, 06:25 AM   #52
BarrySt
Private

Drives: E91 330d

Bought an E91 330d in November after considering C-Class and A4/A5 so in a not too dissimilar situation to you, so have a few observations:

- 330d is fast but feel that I perhaps should have gone for 335d since you can never have a car thats too fast and coming from S5 you don't want to be dissapointed on that score.

- Went for professional radio but its still crap - would definitely go for HK

- MSport is an expensive add on, may have preferred to spend the money on a 335d

- Not impressed with the whole navigation/entertainment malarky after spending the money on the top version but the iPhone cable does enable music play + album artwork to be shown in the split screen whilst navigation is to the left in the larger screen. And phone integration via bluetooth works well. (the hard drive will store music too but an iPhone is always updated from iTunes and the album art database is current rather than outdated)

- I have black car + interior but dont find it too dark at all so unsure about the sunroof option unless you have the money available.

- Think 18-inch wheels are good size/feel compromse

-Get a good discount on the car price, should be no problem

Have fun, Barry
      05-21-2011, 06:27 AM   #53
phil3103
Private First Class

Yeah I keep thinking about the sunroof. But from what I've seen it's just a standard size sunroof and therefore nothing particularly special for the 800 odd is costs. I had the skylight roof option in my A3 a few years back and that was wicked. Went all the way across the car and back half the car. Was really nice. But I suppose that was 1400 or something like that so you get what you pay for!

ACC is off the menu now. There are other options I'd rather pay for. Going to go down this weekend and finalise everything before it goes into production.

Sorry, of course I'm not paying full price for the car. I'm just wondering whether they're likely to offer, say, a 10% discount on the 'new' options I'm likely to add. Has anyone every tried adding options at a discount once they've agreed the base deal?
      05-21-2011, 06:40 AM   #54
phil3103
Private First Class

Barry, thanks for your comments. I did think about the 335 but it's just a step too far I think. And now I've thought about it, I really fancy a manual again which, of course, I can't get in the 335d. If need be, I'll get the 330 chipped. I believe BMW are working on a similar performance upgrade as they've recently done form the 320d engine.

Don't need the sunroof. I've sat in a few with black and black now and I think it looks nice and with the brushed aluminium trim isn't too dark. In fact, I think it looks even better when it's dark outside and the dash is all lit up. Esp with the additional lighting pack that you get on the 6 cylinder versions.

Definitely set on the HK. From what I've read (and what sales chaps told me) it's pretty good. And I'm into all sorts of music (classical through to Greenday) so having a good set of speakers will probably make all the difference. And I had B&O in the S5 and Bose in the RS4 so I'm used to good speakers. So the standard ones would probably just annoy me and I'd end up upgrading anyway.

I think I got a good discount. Between the dealer and the 1500 BMW finance are throwing in at the moment I'm not far shy of the discount I'd have got using Broadspeed and therefore given it's a local independent dealer (ie now a Williams and the like) I'm quite happy with the deal I've got. Unless you think there's much more discount to be had? This is the first time I've bought a brand new car so I'm more than willing to listen to comments and to go back to them if necessary?

Need the M Sport. Just looks right I think. I'm sure my next one will be an SE (unless I go back the other way and get a proper M-car). But for now I think the 330d with MS is a healthy compromise for me coming out of the S5.

Can't wait for the car. Just wish I didn't need to wait about 8 weeks for it! I hope they pay some over-time somewhere in the world and get a shift-on! Esp bad now I've sold the S5. Carless for the first time since I was 17!
      05-21-2011, 07:10 AM   #55
incablue

Drives: E91 M Sport

have you tried something like http://www.askaprice.com or autoebid.com

the guy I bought my car off had ordered a new X1 from Sytner. Initially they said they couldn't do any decent discounts, even though he had been a long standing customer of theirs. He got some quotes via the interweb and then went back to them, to see what they could do, said it took a while, with the old chestnut of going back and forth to the sales director... eventually they matched the best price he found online and he saved himself a few grand. I haven't bought new before, but if I were , I'd explore some online options!
      05-21-2011, 07:44 PM   #56
Yoro35i
TROll

Drives: E92 335I M

+1 to the post above

Do a little search and print our the quote and use it as a haggling tool, there is many bmw around and they will give good discount when buying new!! some sites saves you so much that after specing the car it will be near rrp !! i did a alot of these search myself below when i was day dreaming of a new 335i haha

e.g new car distcount . com
Our Price

32439*
List/Retail Price

Save

5100+

!!!

Last edited by Yoro35i; 05-21-2011 at 07:51 PM.
Yoro35i is online now   United Kingdom
      05-22-2011, 06:39 AM   #57
SO8
Lieutenant

Drives: 330d M Sport Coupe

Quote:
I believe BMW are working on a similar performance upgrade as they've recently done form the 320d engine.
Where did you hear this ??

I would be really interested as with the new LCI 330d a 'normal' remap is not available ... and with 2 years left on the warranty I am not going to someone to 'break open' the ECU to remap it ....
      05-22-2011, 07:44 AM   #58
phil3103
Private First Class

It was the dealer who sold me my car. They had a 120d with the performance upgrade that I test drove. I asked if there was one for the 330d and he said not at present but they are doing one.

I'll be going back in this week to finalise spec (which I'll the post here) so I'll check again and see if they have any more info. Great thing about the BM ones (rather than third parties) is that it has no effect on warranty etc.